Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:59 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

There's only one in the area I live now, and you have to work a certain number of hours, every other week, which is pretty much impossible for us.

But you inspired me to look them up in the area I'm moving in August... it's sort of a "hippie town" so it turns out there's a bunch of them! One even lets you "shop" for your own stuff at their stand at a farmers market, so you aren't forced to take things you won't use. I'll definitely look into it further.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #17  
I am a thin person!

S/C/G: 215/tracker/135

Height: 5'6"

Thank you for the info! I have one that is super close to my home, but I am on a wait list. I wonder if there will be any openings for this summer....Well, at least I have the info and got in line! It sounds amazing!
362638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
One even lets you "shop" for your own stuff at their stand at a farmers market, so you aren't forced to take things you won't use. I'll definitely look into it further.
That sounds so cool!

We were getting a "farm box" as my kids called it for awhile but the pick up location was really out of the way and some weeks nearly impossible to make it to. Instead we try to make it to one of the area farmer's markets each week. I do miss having a CSA box with new and interesting things to try.
kirsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #19  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

This week we got:

Blackberries
Blueberries
Cherries
Oranges
Cabbage
Carrots
Cucumbers
Green Beans
Green Onions
Sugar Snap Peas
Zucchini
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #20  
Lovin' Zumba!

I'd never heard of a CSA before. How do they usually work - can you sign up after they've already started? Or would I have to wait until next year?

Last edited by BfL_Cat; 06-28-2008 at 05:48 PM.
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #21  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

After they start, you usually have to wait until next year/season. I know some CSAs have a summer and a fall season.

Basically, you find the CSAs, in your area, ask about what you can expect, how many weeks, the cost, how the veggies are delivered, etc. With my CSA, I had to put $50 down and then at my first pickup, pay the rest of the upfront cost. Quality of CSAs can vary, so it is good to ask questions first and maybe even ask others in your area who have done it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #22  
Lovin' Zumba!

I'm so excited - I found a CSA that doesn't start until next week, and they have shares available! As it will be a bit much food for myself and DH, I am working on getting a coworker to split it for me.

Here's is what the brochures says they have available:

Early season - lettuce, spinach, beets, broccoli, scallions and Swiss chard

Mid-season - summer squash, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cabbage, sweet corn, onions and mushrooms

Late harvest - broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, turnips, and winter squash.

Pick-your-own - beans, peas, cherry tomatoes and herbs.

The farm is not that far away, so I'll be going there to pick up my boxes, and then can do the pick-your-own as well!

Thanks for starting this thread, Nelie - otherwise I'd never have known about CSAs!
Cindy

Last edited by BfL_Cat; 07-03-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #23  
Finding My Bliss

Yay! I am glad so many are able to be part of a CSA.

Here's what I get this week:

Green Beans
Baby Bok Choy
Cucumbers
Pink Lady Apples
Fennel
Grapes
Lettuce
Melons
Oranges
Zucchini

Last edited by SoulBliss; 07-04-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: They actually changed what they gave out!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #24  
Lovin' Zumba!

One thing that will be different for me here in New York state is that our CSA will contain very little fruit
I realized that after noticing that the gals who are on the west coast are so much fruit in theirs!

That will make it tough for us to get through all of it, as it will be mostly veggies. But, what we don't eat I can always bring into work to share.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #25  
Finding My Bliss

Yes, I am actually feeling very blessed to have so much fruit! Some seasons don't have any (except tomatoes). Unfortunately, there were 3 other fruits that should have been in the box that weren't there. Sometimes that happens!

As far as sharing with coworkers is concerned, that is very generous and nice of you, but think about steaming/roasting and freezing some of the veggies too, to save for later use.

I've been doing that on the first day I get the veggies so that I can eat the fresh ones that are good raw and then use the others before they go bad.

I haven't had to waste a single thing!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #26  
Lovin' Zumba!

Ok gals, I got my first share today, and I have a couple of questions.

The first being, how do I keep this stuff? Refrigerator? I have chard, some lettuces, beets, spinach, scallions, broccoli, dill and cilantro. I'm sharing with someone else, who's out of town this weekend, so I can't give them to her until Monday.

And secondly, everything seems little wilty already - how can I perk it back up?
Thanks!
Cindy
Old 07-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 158/148/130

Height: 5'7"

I love my CSA and keep everything in the fridge and often don't get through it all in a week - lettuce and herbs go first. That being said, broccoli is SO good fresh picked, I'd eat that right away. Beets will last a while as will chard. I get to decide which fruits/vegies to get at my new CSA (I go to their stall at the farmer's market and they let me pick 8 items - can be all the same or all different) which I really prefer and have found myself getting less perishable stuff as the lettuce often got too wilty before I could eat all of it.
meggoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #28  
Finding My Bliss

Here's this week (we were told we may get avocado, but we didn't):

Beets
Carrots
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Grapes
Lettuce