Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 305/290/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Your favorite tomato/pasta dish

Hi everyone! The spinach/chicken thread went so well, I took note of all the great recipes, thought I would get your favorite pasta dishes. Again, looking for something fairly easy but delicious for a family meal.
startanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #2  
I can do this, yes I can!

S/C/G: 273/260/180

Height: 5'6"

I got this recipe off of Kraft.com a couple weeks ago and my normally picky family loved it. The calories wasnt too bad for a Sunday meal.

Lazy Lasagna

Prep Time:
10 min
Total Time:
1 hr 20 min
Makes:
8 servings
1 jar (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce
2 pouches (1 cup each) frozen BOCA Meatless Ground Burger
1 container (24 oz.) BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Low Fat Cottage Cheese
1/2 cup cholesterol-free egg product
2 cups KRAFT Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese, divided
2 cups rotini pasta, uncooked
PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix spaghetti sauce and ground burger; set aside. Mix cottage cheese, egg product and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese in separate bowl.
SPRAY 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Spread half of the sauce mixture into prepared pan; cover with layers of uncooked pasta and half of the cottage cheese mixture. Top with layers of remaining sauce and cottage cheese mixtures; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil.
BAKE 30 min. Remove foil; continue baking 30 min. Remove from oven; let stand 10 min. before cutting to serve.
Calories
Total fat
12 g
Saturated fat
4.5 g
Cholesterol
25 mg
Sodium
1050 mg
Carbohydrate
42 g
Dietary fiber
6 g
Sugars
13 g
Protein
28 g
Vitamin A
35 %DV
Vitamin C
20 %DV
Calcium
30 %DV
Iron
15 %DV
Healthy Living Information
Good source of vitamin A or C
Generally Nutritious
Diet Exchange
2-1/2 Starch,3 Meat (VL),1-1/2 Fat

Nutrition Bonus
Enjoy a new spin on a family favorite. The spaghetti sauce makes this lasagna a good source of vitamin A
hardatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

This is from Cooking Light--very yummy and easy:

Penne with Italian Turkey Sausage and Vegetables

1/2 pound hot Italian turkey sausage
Cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup mushrooms, quartered
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
4 cups hot cooked penne (about 1/2 pound uncooked tube-shaped pasta) (I use Whole Wheat Penne)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, bell peppers, and zucchini; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sausage is done. Stir in tomatoes; cover and cook over medium-low heat 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream. Add pasta and black pepper; stir well. Cook over medium-low heat 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

CALORIES 373 (18% from fat); FAT 7.6g (sat 2g,mono 2.5g,poly 2.1g); PROTEIN 22.1g; CHOLESTEROL 56mg; CALCIUM 91mg; SODIUM 983mg; FIBER 4.1g; IRON 5.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 53.4g
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #4  

This one is my favorite.. scads of veggies. Roasting them really changes their flavors. It makes them much richer I think

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/No-Crea...ra/Detail.aspx

Change out the veggies to ones you like, cut back on the oil a bit, if you like (I did) and I used whole wheat pasta. You can always toss these veggies into a marinara sauce if you want something with more tomatoes than just the roasted ones. I like this one because all you have to do is toss stuff in the oven and stir a couple of times

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Greek-P...en/Detail.aspx this one is yummy - I used whole wheat pasta in this
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Startanew, your avatar makes me smile...What a bright, beautiful child!

I like to make homemade pasta sauce or add a lot of veggies to a jarred organic sauce. I eat more sauce and veggies than pasta (actually, pasta's not on my plan at all right now, so I just eat the sauce over steamed veggies like cauliflower and broccoli) and the family can have more pasta so it works out well.

I only have a few minutes right now, so I'll post the jarred version.

I use whole wheat or brown rice or sprouted grains pasta.

Amy's Organic Family Style Marinara is a good jarred sauce, low fat etc.

So, I chop an onion, 4-6 cloves of garlic, 1/2 a jalapeño, 1 stalk celery, 1 carrot, 2 zucchini and anything else I can get in there and cook it in a frying pan with a splash of broth. If we can "afford" the calories, I'll use oil instead and sautee the onions and garlic first, adding in veggies later. Then I cook it all in with the pasta sauce.

When all is cooked through, I put in as much fresh or frozen spinach as I can. I also will add additional basil if I have fresh or an assortment of Italian spices and herbs.

I also like to toast pine nuts and sprinkle them on top of each serving along with vegan Parmesan and nutritional yeast, which adds a rich, nutty, cheesy flavor, protein and B vitamins.

Sometimes I'll add in chickpeas or veggie protein crumbles for more protein and fiber.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/259/135

Height: 5'4

i love taking a basic jar of marinara (or make your own) and sautee it with black olives, capers, red pepper flakes, garlic and some good olive oil.

or I like to mix the pasta and sauce with ricotta cheese and bake it for a bit, maybe even with a little mozzarella (it's the super lazy way of getting a lasagna taste)
DCchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/290/155

Height: 5'7"

mmmm....
I think I'm going to try roasting some veggies tonight, I've never done that , except potatoes. Does it work with mushrooms too?

Soulbliss-Thanks,thats my favorite picture of him, it really shows his personality.
startanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by startanew View Post
mmmm....
I think I'm going to try roasting some veggies tonight, I've never done that , except potatoes. Does it work with mushrooms too?

Soulbliss-Thanks,thats my favorite picture of him, it really shows his personality.

Mushrooms work but wouldn't take nearly as long as some other veggies. if you are making a mixture of roasted veggies, I would add mushrooms towards the end. If you roast things too long they get leathery so you'll have to experiment on times. I tend to like things a bit leathery and chewy but some people may like their veggies a bit moister and more tender.

I make a mix of eggplant, zucchini, crookneck and tomatoes generally when I am roasting but if I was going to add mushrooms, I'd start out with them in maybe the last 10-15 minutes at first.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:20 AM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I like fettucine tossed with a mixture of non-fat cream cheese and light chevre (you could also add some lemon juice or grated lemon rind and a little milk if it is too thick), then topped with scallions and smoked salmon.

Non-fat cream cheese and salsa also makes a great sauce for pasta. You can toss in whatever meat or veggies you want.

And I love Cooking Light's Creamy Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese. I used only 8 oz of Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta, added 6 oz (about 1 pepper) each of green and red bell pepper, added 12 oz of pre-cooked diced ham, and used Trader Joe's Lite Chevre instead of the cheddar. It came out to 300 calories per serving and was total comfort food.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 03-12-2008 at 04:21 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #10  

It is a Great collection of recipes of my favourite PASTA ! Thanks a lot!
kenfronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

My own recipe:

2 zucchini, sliced medium
3-4 large tomatoes, diced
1 plop of jarred, minced garlic
bunch of Italian seasoning, dried
pinch o' salt

Simmer everything above until the zucchini is soft and the tomatoes have disintegrated into a sauce. Serve over fettucini.
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

My favorite when I'm in a hurry is to cook 6 oz of whole wheat spaghetti (for two of us) and then toss with garlic sauteed in 1T olive oil with a generous sprinkling of chili flake and a smidge of parmesan. Add a side of steamed veggies plus a big spinach salad and you have a really quick dinner.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardatwork View Post
I got this recipe off of Kraft.com a couple weeks ago and my normally picky family loved it. The calories wasnt too bad for a Sunday meal.

Lazy Lasagna
That sounds so good! A co-worker was telling me about Kraft.com. She gets the magazine too. What features on it do you use? How do you like it compared to the other sites we all use like allrecipes.com?
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:55 AM   #14  

I'm not trying to be the newbie weirdo who comes in posting recipes all over the place, but I saw this topic and had to add one! I subscribe to Fine Cooking magazine, and was just recently going through a bunch of them to get new ideas - this one jumped out at me and was a real hit when I tried it.

Salsa Cruda (no-cook tomato sauce)

2 lb. ripe tomatoes (about 3 large or 4 medium), cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsely or basil (or both)
1 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp. minced garlic (1 medium clove)
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper; more to taste
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Combine all of the ingredients in a non-reactive bowl large enough to hold the tomatoes and the cooked pasta; mix well. Let the sauce sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours.

Toss the sauce with just-cooked pasta. Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

The recommendation, of course, is to use the freshest tomatoes in season. We're nowhere near peak tomato season yet, but I did find that the "tomatoes on the vine" worked really well. I can't wait to try this at the peak of summer, but as long as you get your hands on some decent tomatoes in the market this is still yummy.
Sorcha33 is offline   Reply With Quote