3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   SuperFoods Daily Accounting (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/134782-superfoods-daily-accounting.html)

srmb60 02-22-2008 05:36 AM

Thanks SoulBliss!
It is easy to eat those things regularly.
What I like about it is the notion that food is actually what builds you a new body. We make cells everyday and need to make them out of something. I don't think enough people realise that.

Darkblue? No soy milk does not taste anything like 'real milk'. I normally only use it for cereal etc. I can't help you with the yogurt question. I just use nonfat.

Glory87 02-22-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkblue (Post 2066992)
Susan, what does soy milk taste like? Anything like real milk?

Can you buy real Greek yogurt at regular grocery stores, or is it a specialty item?

Soy milk is yummy but definitely doesn't taste like regular milk. I bet if you went to Starbucks and ask for a tiny sample, they might give it you (that way you could try it without blowing money on an entire container).

I buy Greek yogurt at a regular grocery store. I have 2 favorite brands: Fage and Voskos - both are delicious but Fage is more expensive. It comes in plain and other flavors (honey, fig, blueberry, etc). There are full fat, 2% and fat free varieties of Greek yogurt available. I think fat free Greek yogurt tastes great. Greek yogurt has a GREAT consistency - it's like really really thick cool whip, I really prefer it to regular yogurt.

AndLy 02-22-2008 11:51 AM

I'm not necessarily on a specific superfoods plan, or wholefoods, but am trying to incorporate as many as I can each day. It's been working great for the past few weeks I've been doing it. I haven't read the book or anything, and didn't even realize that the foods I'd been trying to add into my diet were superfoods, until I found out here through Glory's posts. No wonder they were making me feel so good :)

Today I've had lowfat soy milk, spinach, turkey, carrots and since I'm not quite certain about sidekicks I think that my 1 whole egg + 1 egg white can count as fish. And that's only breakfast!!!

Glory87 02-22-2008 12:35 PM

Hey AndLy, welcome :)

Friday - since I made so much pasta sauce last night, Friday looks exactly like Thursday.

B - 7:00 am 1/2 cup of Nature's path organic pumpkin flax cereal, fat free greek yogurt with honey, 1 spoons of wheat germ

S 10:00 package of fresh blueberries

L 12:00 Salad - spinach leaves, grape tomatoes, red onion, shredded carrot, broccoli slaw, orange pepper strips, 90 calories of chicken breast, low fat gingerly vinaigrette dressing

S: 1:00 100 calories no sugar added cocoa

S 3:00 tangelo

S 5:00 cut up veggies (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, sugar snap peas, red pepper strips

D - home made pasta sauce with veggie crumbles, basil, sun dried tomato, red wine, spinach leaves over 2 oz of whole wheat pasta, side salad with green leaf, tomato, red onion, low fat gingerly vinaigrette

super foods - beans (sugar snap peas), spinach (kale, green leaf), tomatoes, soy, tea, oats (granola, whole wheat rotini, wheat germ), tangelo, blueberries, yogurt, pumpkin (carrots), broccoli (broccoli slaw) Eleven super foods (missing walnuts, turkey, salmon)

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night - a lot. We're going to a 5 course chef's tasting menu!

cbmare 02-22-2008 05:56 PM

Oh. I think I'm going to have to spend some serious time in here. Soul, thank you for what you posted.

Does almond milk count? I've been using that on my high fiber cereals.

Does Kashi Good Friends High Fiber, Organic Morning Lite and the flax high fiber combo I'm eating now count?

See why I need you people?

Glory87 02-22-2008 06:00 PM

Fascinating - not sure about almond milk, my guess would be it would count as Walnut. The whole grain cereal definitely counts as Oats :)

srmb60 02-23-2008 09:30 AM

Do over?!

I was going to just post that with some kind of embarassed looking smilie -but-

The beauty of eating healthy is that one day don't break the whole shebang, right? If I've been alive of over 17000 days and I've been eating healthier and slimmer for 1600 or so .... pfft! Pass the blueberries please.

Glory87 02-23-2008 12:50 PM

The goal is not perfection, the goal is consistency - one day will not derail you. Heck, I plan to go eat a 5 course chef's tasting menu tonight with wine pairings. I won't view that as a failure at all, but a celebration of ME - the foodie, who can be slim, eat well MOST of the time and still enjoy the stuff I really love!

here's the menu:

CHEF'S 5-COURSE TASTING MENU
Baby Greens | Shaved Manchego | Roasted Beets | Blood Orange Vinaigrette
Sauteed Calamari | Shallots | Bacon | Baby Spinach
Parmesan/Sweet Pea Risotto | Pea Tendrils | Crispy Pork
Lamb Chop with Toasted Spices | Spring Garlic | Polenta
Grand Marnier Creme Brulee

There are a couple of super foods...uh, greens! and um polenta is corn and corn is a whole grain and um...peas. I always thought beets should be a super food. That reminds me - why isn't a mango a super food? It has a lot of beta carotene - I always thought it should be a pumpkin sidekick.

baffled111 02-23-2008 02:13 PM

I've always thought creme brulee should be a superfood. Anything that delicious MUST have insane nutritional benefits. (And, if creme brulee can't be a superfood, can we at least get saturated fat on the list as a vital part of a healthy diet?)

That menu looks very delicious Glory. Have a fabulous night and enjoy every bite. :)

srmb60 02-23-2008 02:58 PM

I got the magazine! Fabulous Glory! It's so great to see you there.

I had a loverly grocery trip. So many wonderful foods and so little time.

srmb60 02-23-2008 07:11 PM

My chili is great!

beans, tomatoes, orange peppers, turkey ....

blueberries, walnuts, yogurt ... only 7 so far? hmmm and I felt so virtuous.

So I had some oats with soy milk ... my check list in the kitchen says that's 10.

Darkblue 02-23-2008 08:54 PM

Let's see, I made chili tonight with turkey, white beans, tomatoes, green chilis, corn, and Monterey Jack cheese.

Had spinach as the base for a salad at lunch (with other not so healthy things, alas), and iced tea.

Had almonds and a tangerine as a snack. Had green tea with honey earlier today, and blueberry muffins for breakfast. I'm sure the muffins aren't ideal, but it's a start...

Does this count for 7-9?

Glory87 02-24-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkblue (Post 2069477)
Let's see, I made chili tonight with turkey, white beans, tomatoes, green chilis, corn, and Monterey Jack cheese.

Had spinach as the base for a salad at lunch (with other not so healthy things, alas), and iced tea.

Had almonds and a tangerine as a snack. Had green tea with honey earlier today, and blueberry muffins for breakfast. I'm sure the muffins aren't ideal, but it's a start...

Does this count for 7-9?

Hey :) well, it depends by how many blueberries were in the muffins. Were there like 2-3 per muffin or a sizeable amount? I would probably count it as: turkey, white beans, tomatoes, spinach, corn (as a whole grain for oats), almonds (walnuts), tangerine (orange), green tea, honey (from the second book) - 9 :) Any carrots in the salad?

srmb60 02-24-2008 08:28 AM

I'm fooling with something ... I saved this list
beans
blueberries
broccoli
oats
oranges
pumpkin
salmon
soy
spinach
tea
tomatoes
turkey
walnuts
yogurt
... and will cut and paste it each day with the foods attached.

srmb60 02-24-2008 08:32 AM

Cluttering up the board with yesterdays accounting ...
beans -white, black and blackeyed-in chili
blueberries-raw
broccoli
oats-oatmeal
oranges- grapefruit juice
pumpkin-orange peppers
salmon
soy-nonfat soy milk
spinach
tea
tomatoes- in chili
turkey-in chili