SuperFoods Daily Accounting

You're on Page 13 of 32
Go to
  • Friday

Got up first thing and did my walk, woohoo! I gotta say that I was a tiny bit stiff after having not worked out yesterday. I guess that's just more motivation to do it everyday

B-1/2 cup low fat yogurt w/walnuts, strawberries & blueberries and some cracklin' oat bran cereal sprinkled on top ( I checked and that's what it was )
    Coffee w/soymilk

L-4 sesame/poppy seed crackers topped w/roasted red pepper hummus, a cup of roasted red pepper tomato soup w/1/4 c garbanzo beans, a tangelo
    I know lunch was kind of small but I was in a huge hurry and didn't want to eat something bad for me, plus I didn't have very much time

S-tea/clif z bar
    *I am just going to order the nectar bars online at amazon b/c I can't find them in stores anywhere anymore

D-turkey burger on WW bun w/spinach, pickles, roasted red pepper strips, 1 tbsp light mayo and dijon mustard, homemade sweet potato fries

***will edit later to add dinner, I have no idea what I'm having yet, maybe a turkey burger and sweet potato fries, that sounds yummy right now***

If I don't get the chance to post over the weekend have a HOPPY Easter everyone!!! And don't let those sneaky little cadbury eggs get you
  • I saw ORANGE cadbury eggs at the grocery store today - that's just mean!
  • I got home from shopping later than expected last night...but I had picked up some "new" foods to try. So this is what I actually made for supper.

Glory...I tried tofu...AND snuck it to my husband!!!! He didn't know until I told him!!!

I bought Tofu that was already marinated in tomato and basil. I figured it was an easy way to try it for the first time. I also bought Edamame.

Supper- Whole wheat pasta spiral tossed with pesto, topped with Sundried tomato chicken sausage and tomato basil tofu, sauteed veggies (Red, Orange, Yellow peppers, shallots, matchstick carrots, broccoli slaw, diced tomatoes & Edamame) Soy milk.

For the two of us I used one chicken sausage and 2 ounces of tofu. Now he says he could tell something was "different"...he is just being a whiner!!

I bought shelled organic Edamame. Either I did not cook it long enough or the beans were "too old" when picked...I thought they were kind of tough, but I did like the flavor. I will try them again sometime.

I also picked up some garlic and chive Hummus. I haven't tried that yet, will have it at lunch today. I have never had Hummus before either.
  • Quote: --they make a really nice quick fruit salad when chopped up and tossed with chopped up Honeycrisp apples!
    I'll have to try that--sounds like a good idea!

I hadn't seen these before but since I couldn't find my beloved clementines, I grabbed the bag of Cara Cara oranges! Am glad I did!
  • Quote:
    I saw ORANGE cadbury eggs at the grocery store today - that's just mean!
    I know! I saw them too, completely not fair. I would have been all over those just a few short months ago
  • I had a great day today!! i didn't do anything really spectacular, just felt great and full of energy. Might be a few super food low today though.

B-Oatmeal, topped with flax seed meal & brown sugar, an orange, light original soy milk green chia tea.

L-Slice turkey breast in a whole wheat pita, 1 slice of swiss cheese (It doesn't taste as good as I remember) 1 T garlic chive hummus, apple, asparagus, soy milk

D- Shrimp stif fried veggies (Carrots, brocoli, celery, red, yellow and orange peppers, shallots, corn and edamame) brown rice,

S-Newman's Own Sweet Dark Chocolate Bar
  • SATURDAY

breakfast: homemade meusli (steel cut oats soaked in apple juice, with grated apple, toasted walnuts, blueberries, greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey) and a cup of tea

snack: wasabi edamame (dried and crunchy - really good!)

lunch: leftover salmon in a big spinach and romaine salad with tomatoes, red pepper, avocado chunks, grated carrot and a lemon/garlic vinaigrette

snack: wholegrain bread with laughing cow light cheese, turkey and tomato

dinner: homemade butter chicken (using a low calorie paste, and no butter ), brown basmati rice, tomato/cilantro/onion relish, and baked pappadum

dessert: mango with a squeeze of lime
  • Kate & Scorcha-you both sound like you're doing great and loving the plan! I hope the superfoods make you feel as good as they make me feel

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday about my meals b/c hubby actually got to come home, only for 10 hours but still, I haven't seen him for a month! And I won't get to see him again for another month, so it was a real treat, and just in time for Easter too! He's definitely sweeter than any Easter candy the bunny could've left me

Saturday
    B-yogurt, blueberries and strawberries, walnuts and cracklin oat bran, soymilk latte

S-clif bar

L-2 morningstar veggie cakes w/spinach, avocado, peppercini's and red pepper, lowfat dressing (light sour cream and salsa)

D-tea
    chicken breast and veggie stir-fry w/soba noodles
  • Saturday - lots of errands and my weekly "treat" meal at a friend's house for a dinner party, it was a bit of a blow out and my stomach was really upset. I need to practice a little more restraint, even when it's a treat. At least dinner was salmon

B - 1/2 cup of Nature's path pumpkin flax granola, 2 spoons of wheat germ, Trader Joe's Greek yogurt with honey

S - fresh blackberries

L - Out running errands so we had Chipotle - chicken bol, no beans, extra pico de gallo, tons of romaine, a little extra hot sauce, 1/2 serving of guac

S - Starbucks light honey frappucino, no whip

D - hmmm, let me try to remember. We had 3 kinds of cheese, including this wonderful cheese with orange. We also had a mild blue cheese and a harvarti with dill (which I was not a fan of). Sourdough bread, butter with roasted garlic, strawberries. We had salmon chowder made with soy milk. Dinner was grilled salmon, couscous, salad and corn. I made a caramel meringue pie for dessert (my first meringue - it was so much fun). I crushed up a Heath bar and sprinkled it over the pie when I served it. It was DIVINE.
  • Well, here's everything I had today and many are technically "Superfoods" according to Dr. Pratt and the ones that aren't on Dr. Pratt's list ARE considered "superfoods" according to other experts:

Green tea, hibiscus-lemongrsass-mint tea, coffee, water.

Broccoli, arugula, asparagus, onion, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, soy, lemon, basil, parsley, sesame seeds, cayenne, black pepper.

Blueberries, strawberries, almonds, flax, hemp protein powder, cacao flour.

Spinach, mixed baby greens, carrot, tomatoes, cucumber, artichoke hearts, extra virgin olive oil, walnuts, soy, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, basil, sesame seeds, olives, avocado.

Cauliflower, broccoli, onion, garlic, yellow/red bell pepper, jalapeņo pepper, leek, lemon juice, extra virgin coconut oil, miso.
  • Well I had Easter Dinner at MIL's. I think I did quite well. Hubby had to work today...I think there should be a law that wives don't have to go to MILs if her hubby isn't there...but that is another story.

Up at 6:30 ate breakfast Oatmeal, milled flax seed, orange, light soy milk

Then I went to gym and added 30 minutes on the treadmill (at 12% incline no less) to my normal hour of cardio and 30 minutes of strength training.

Then to MIL's. If dealing with her personality wasn't challanging enough, you have watch very closely everything you put in your mouth. She bathes everything in either butter, cream cheese or sour cream. I was prepared I brought a salad of Spinach, romaine, toasted walnuts, shallots, red raspberries, grilled chicken breast and fat free feta cheese with a raspberry vinagrette dressing. She made a fruit salad, but hadn't had it all put together when I got there so I took some fresh fruit before it drowned in whipped cream and sugar. My daughter took one bite of the turkey and whispered to me... "I think she injected it with butter this year...better go easy on it. Bless that child's heart. MILs Easter potatoes are boiled potatoes mashed with butter, half and half, cream cheese and sour cream, topped with cheddar cheese and baked. I brought a sweet potato and baked it in the microwave. She made asparagus...roasted it in the oven with a whole stick of butter. So this is what lunch looked like for me...

2 oz of turkey breast, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks, 1 cup red grapes, baked sweet potato, 5 aspargus spears (that I discreetly dabbed off with my napkin before eating) about 4 cups of the salad I brought. I think I did pretty well overall.

Supper tonight will be chili made with black beans, diced tomatoes, red, yellow and orange peppers, & tomato basil tofu. yogurt with berries and a cup of tea.
  • Quote: MILs Easter potatoes are boiled potatoes mashed with butter, half and half cream cheese and sour cream, topped with cheddar cheese and baked.

Oh my. How frightening.
  • AndLy - thanks! I'm new here and still feeling my way around, but am definitely loving the whole foods/Superfoods eating. I feel better after a few weeks than I have in a long time, and as I love to cook I find I'm really enjoying being in the kitchen more. It's fun to focus on all the great things I can eat, rather than all the things I "can't" (or shouldn't).

Easter dinner went really well. We, too, were at the IL's, but fortunately my MIL always makes loads of veggies and doesn't use butter! KateB, that's a crazy amount of fat to load into those poor old potatoes!! I love potatoes, and a special birthday meal always includes stuffed baked potatoes with some cheddar cheese, but the thought of all that cream, butter and cheese is pretty icky! Good for you for planning ahead and bringing your salad and sweet potato!

breakfast: steel cut oatmeal with a little natural peanut butter, banana and strawberry salad on the side

snack: jicama strips with a little lime juice and cayenne pepper

lunch: I just had an "apple pie" Lara bar in the car, since dinner was early and we were running late!!

dinner: baked ham, steamed new potatoes with dill, brussels sprouts, beets, carrots and salad (all veggies except beets were steamed, no butter, but with seasoning. Beets were pureed with horseradish).

dessert: strawberries and ONE Lindt dark chocolate bunny (the smallest size!! )

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!!
  • Good Morning!!! When I woke up this morning I noticed I ws a little stiff from the Ab Toning I started on my balance ball. That feeling combined with knowing I did not surrender to the "Cardiac Attack Spuds" that MIL made for Easter brought a smile to my face.

B- Oatmeal, 1 T ground flax seed meal, 1 T chopped Walnuts, 1 1/2 tsp Brown Sugar, an orange, 8 oz light soy milk, Green Chai Tea

L- Salad with Spinach, Romaine, grilled chicken, shallots, raspberries, toasted almonds, fat free feta cheese and raspberry vinegrette (Left over from yesterday) strawberries and fat free french vanilla yogurt with 1 T chopped Walnuts

Snack- All Bran Crackers and Garlic Chive Hummus

I am not a fan of cold cereal (it leaves me hungry all day long) but I have to admit the "Nature's path pumpkin flax granola" everyone here eats sounds yummy!!! I might have to try it a topping for yogurt or something.

D- ( this is what I am planning) Salmon, Steamed Brocolli & carrots, Brown Rice and soy milk.
  • The Nature's Path is pretty yummy and is fairly low calorie (for granola). It has 140 calories per 1/2 cup and 5 grams of sugar. Frosted Flakes for comparison has 110 calories for 3/4 cup but it has 11 grams of sugar. It's also in little tee-tiny pieces (like some are grape nut sized) which makes it unappealing (to me) to eat by the handful out of the box. They have lots of different kinds - I'm always tempted to try something new, but then I worry I won't like it as much as pumpkin flax. Since I measure it out by the 1/2 cup, a box lasts me over a week! That would be a long time to be stuck with less-preferred cereal.

Scroll down to the bottom for the granola options:

http://www.naturespath.com/products/cold_cereals

Sunday

B - oatmeal with 1 spoon of wheat germ, 2 spoons of apple butter

L - leftover spinach filling from quesadillas last week, 2 whole wheat tortillas (50 cal each), salsa, a big glop of home made guacamole

S - 10 little round crackers spread with natural peanut butter

D - 3 tacos - veggie crumble filling, 3 blue corn shells, salsa, spinach leaves, a sprinkle of low fat cheese, some home made guacamole