Coconut water--hype or health?

• I have seen a lot of hype about coconut water (which I love), but I have not seen anything that makes me think that I need to make this a staple. What's your take?
  • I'm leaning towards hype, but I'm not swearing to it yet I know that coconut oil is hyped to the extreme, while medical experts still tell us that the cons outweigh the pros. I'd like to know of any published peer reviewed studies that prove the benefits of coconut water. Otherwise, it's probably just a beverage like any other and should be drunk if you happen to like it. It's kind of expensive, though.

I think it's very easy for marketers to take advantage of an product like this without much proof out there, since it's easy to prey on consumers. I'm not closing the door to possible benefits, but I want real studies to prove it and not just marketers claims. I'm very skeptical by nature
  • My littlest one is into Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, so we are studying coconuts to go along with that. It happened that the week I started planning the lessons, there was a doctor on a talk show at the gym (I forget which show) who swore this would make me weigh 30 pounds less and look ten years younger. Sounded pretty hyped up to me, and I could not find anything sound to support it. I always like to ask, though, just in case.
  • Quote: My littlest one is into Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
    Too funny, because we just bought the book and cd a couple weeks ago for our girls. I think it's interesting that they aren't that into the Ray Charles narration of the book (pretty catchy and rhythmic) - they love the book though.
  • Hi there! If anything, coconut water contains tons of electrolytes. It's like nature's version of gatorade. If you do want to drink it, I would suggest going right to the source by buying young coconuts instead of buying the canned/boxed stuff. You can usually find young coconuts at Asian marts like Grand Mart. Even the Shoppers here sells them. They're only about $1.50 each and you get a lot more water for less $$. I've recently purchased some and they're sooo good. The meat inside is tasty and you can blend the coconut meat with the water and make your coconut milk for Thai dishes 'n such.