This tool might change my life!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: I just pour the oil off the peanut butter and down the drain- it still tastes great, and spreads OK, so why would I want to mix all of those calories BACK IN?
    I've dne that but it's extremely dry... specially by the time you get to the bottom of the jar...
  • Quote: I just pour the oil off the peanut butter and down the drain- it still tastes great, and spreads OK, so why would I want to mix all of those calories BACK IN?
    Well, I'm maintaining my weight (I didn't eat a lot of peanut butter during weight loss actually) and I LIKE the heart-healthy fat in peanut butter. I actually struggle every day to reach my goal of at least 25% of my calories coming from healthy fats - it is a challenge for me!

The calories for my breakfast (Kashi waffles and peanut butter) is counted and fits into my day, so my only problem is actually stirring the darned oil INTO the peanut butter!
  • Quote: Well, I'm maintaining my weight (I didn't eat a lot of peanut butter during weight loss actually) and I LIKE the heart-healthy fat in peanut butter.
    I think Glory put this perfectly. The oil from peanuts is healthy oil - good fat! This is the reason I keep it in. It would be easy to pour it out, but the oil is good for you and if you pour it out the consistency of the PB isn't as great, so I leave it in.
  • Yeah I agree, it is healthy fat. I do have peanut butter powder that has been defatted if I wanted that.
  • Got it! Sorry, sometimes I get stuck in the old mindset of CaloriesIn/CaloriesOut, that I forget about the positive aspects of healthy foods. I'm sure that some healthy Omega 3 fatty acids would actually be helpful for my dry winter skin- whoohoo for healthy fats!
  • Quote: A friend gave me stirring advice once. Before you open the PB jar - let it sit upside down for a while.
    I was just going to say the same thing.
    As soon as I buy mine, it goes on the pantry shelf upside down. And stays that way. Like Nelie, I don't refrigerate mine. It's gone within a couple of weeks, and stays fresh.
  • Quote: Got it! Sorry, sometimes I get stuck in the old mindset of CaloriesIn/CaloriesOut, that I forget about the positive aspects of healthy foods. I'm sure that some healthy Omega 3 fatty acids would actually be helpful for my dry winter skin- whoohoo for healthy fats!
    Also, you are probably not pouring as many calories down the drain as you think when you pour off the fat. You have to remember to recalculate the number of servings in the container based on how much you've poured down the drain. Let's say your PB container has 16 servings; each serving is 2 tbsp and 200 calories. So the total container has about 3,200 calories (16 servings x 200 calories). You pour off 2 tbsp worth of oil; each tbsp of oil is about 120 calories. Now your container only has 15 servings (because you've discarded approximately one 2-tbsp serving in oil) and a total of 2,960 calories (3200 originally less 240 calories poured off). The end result is 197 calories per serving (2,960 divided by 15 servings). You poured off all that good fat to save 3 calories per serving.

Moreover, peanut has both good fats and bad fats. Good fats are generally those that are liquid a room temperature (like olive oil). So the fat that you are pouring off is largely good fat. Bad fats (like butter) are solid at room temperature; those don't separate from the peanut butter so you can't pour them off. So by pouring off the oil in your peanut butter, you are pouring off the good fats but leaving the bad fats.
  • Circebee, I also drain the oil off of the peanut butter when I open the jar. I can't tell the difference at all and once I stir it up, I don't need to bother doing it again.
  • Okay - UPDATE!

I finally had a new jar of peanut butter and got to use my new stirrer.

First - the stirrer only fits 16 oz jars of peanut butter! This is good to know (the last jar I had was too big).

Second - first few stirs are REALLY hard (but not messy AT ALL since the stirrer lid is on and the stuff can't ooze everywhere)

Third - LOVE IT!!!! It stirs all the way to the bottom and gets everything nicely mixed.

I am in well-stirred, no mess, natural peanut butter heaven!