What "Whole Foods" meals are you making today?

You're on Page 2 of 5
Go to
  • I like really well cooked beans and legumes best.

Tonight I made the arugula pesto again but had no olive oil (my DD is quite the gourmand and she used it up making a zucchini pasta dish this weekend!).

So, I used the "juice" from the kalamata olives (white wine vinegar, olive oil and water) left out the umeboshi vinegar, and added in nutritional yeast as well as vegan parmesean cheese. I combined them with the above ingredients I initially posted. It was good spread on whole grain olive bread.

I cooked 1 bunch collard greens, 3 carrots, 1 onion and 10 cherry tomatoes then seasoned them with 1 tsp. coconut oil and 1 T. jalapeno sauce.

I sliced 3 different colors of heirloom tomatoes and we ate those too.

The thing we ate that wasn't so "whole foods" was veggie sausage links.

It was a great meal.
  • My new thing is making my own salad dressings. I have all the fixins - spices, herbs, lemon and lime juice, oils, pastes, vinegars, even Bragg's amino acids.
  • Today I have been less than good but yesterday I was lazy and it was cold so I made a nice veggie soup with pearl barley, carrots, leeks, onions, cabbage, zucchini. low sodium veggie stock and garlic. It was lovely, if I do say so myself The only thing that would have made it better would have been mushrooms (I am a mushroom nut) but I didn't have any left from this week's shopping.
  • I'm going to make butternut squash spaetzle and put it into a tomato bisque.
    Wish me luck - the butternut squash spaetzle recipe from Emeril uses plain white flour and I'm going to use something different. Spelt flour? Maybe potato flour?
  • Ooooh! I would use a mixture of potato and spelt (depending on the texture you want). Sounds great!
  • I went to the farmer's market this morning and bought lots of fabulous stuff. I got a ton of gorgeous heirloom tomatoes and some fresh basil, so for lunch today I made a tomato, basil and mozzarella salad (with mozz I made myself!) served with some bread I baked this morning from wild yeast brewed in my kitchen. Aside from the oil, balsamic and flour, it was a completely local, organic, whole foods meal. And it was delicious!
  • ^^Lovely! Nothing is better than local, organic and home made!
  • Wow, baffled!! That's amazing - making cheese and yeast, cool!
  • Baffled - that is, pardon the expression, awesome!
  • I made a delicious whole foods lasagna for dinner tonight. Whole wheat lasagna noodles, homemade tomato sauce with lots of veggies and fresh tomatoes and herbs, as well as 99% FF ground turkey. yum!
  • MMM! What veggies did you put in it?
  • I had some celery, chunks of carrots, red peppers and green peppers, mushrooms, and actually some chopped up fresh green beans too!
  • Yay! That's what I like to do too, put in anything I can to up the veggie content, keep the calories low and make it tasty.

I am going to go make dinner right now then I will come back here and post what I make.
  • Dandelion and mizuna greens, wilted, with a touch of extra virgin olive oil, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, umeboshi vinegar and rice wine vinegar

Tofu "cutlets" with garlic, coconut oil and umeboshi vinegar

Heirloom tomatoes (every color) with cucumber and red pepper

Orange slices

My DD said: "It's so colorful!" and it really is a beautiful plate of food. My DH and DD also had veggie pakoras but I resisted the fried chickpea and rice flour, shredded veggie goodness!
  • Wow I am impressed! I have never tried dandelion greens...i am now curious! Do you get them at your local grocery store? I have recently moved to Orlando from New England and have found that the local grocery stores have a severe lack of healthy foods Also no Trader Joes (favorite store ever) and the closest Whole Foods is an hour and a half away!