Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #16  
I'm a LOSER, baby!

I think there is a local store that carries Ezekial.
hidingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #17  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Anyone in here make their own bread? I've had a bread maker for over 6 months now, and I highly prefer homemade bread to any of the bread in the store now!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:16 PM   #18  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

wndranne: It's Aunt Millie's Multi-Grain Bread. And the first ingredient is wheat flour. So I guess it is refined. Well, my parents can eat it if they want. I'm getting something else.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #19  
RosieKate

Sorry to be chiming in late here, but I have spent alot of time trying to decide which bread to buy. I was buying breads that only had whole wheat as the first ingredient on the label. Then DH was told to cut out all HFCS and much to my chagrin I found that it is quite difficult to find a bread that meets our (now) 3 main criteria
1) WW
2) no HFCS
3) no peanuts, tree nuts, or made anywhere on equipment that may have touched them
...and one I forgot

4) doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

We found Vitabee at Fred Meyer to be a pretty good solution (we live in the PNW). I would like to get away from other preservatives, tho'.

Has anyone tried to bake Ezekiel bread? Our naturopath recommended that bread, but I just can't get past the price. I do bake bread, but don't have any experience with sprouted grains. My food coop sells the grain in bulk...I guess I need to do some research.

I'm glad I am not the only one who spends this much time thinking about bread, lol!
Old 08-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #20  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My local Trader Joe's carries Ezekiel bread and it is much cheaper than the grocery store or Whole Foods.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #21  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Alvardo St makes several sprouted grain breads and here in Colorado, they are cheaper than Ezekiel.
Kim
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #22  
RosieKate

I found a recipe for Ezekiel bread on Bob's Redmill.comI would need to get a grain mill attachment for my Kitchenaid to grind up the ingredients, but other than that it looks pretty easy. No kneading....my kind of bread baking

I wonder if I could "mill" the grains and beans in my Cuisinart? I may try it soon as an experiment.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #23  

For the ezekiel bread.. that you buy at the store.. I find it in the freezer. So far I have kept it in the freezer just because I only eat it once and a while as a snack (cinnamon raisin kind). Last time I tried heating it up though I had no idea if I should defrost it and then pop it in the toaster oven? haha any one have this problem? I think next time I'll try just popping it in the toaster oven first.
ssmiley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #24  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

For the money issue, see if there's a bakery outlet in your area. I pick up organic 100% whole grain bread that doesn't have HFCS etc. in it for 89 cents. It's the Aunt Millie's bakery.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote