Hello Im a newbie to whole foods vegan lifestyle :)

• Hi Im Autumn, 34 year old sahm. I am a new vegan as of a month ago due to gallbladder removal. I also avoid gluten due to celiac disease and soy due to my thyroid condition. I also have trouble with nuts seeds and oils. Currently my fat consists of fish oil and flax seed. My main diet consists of a variety of beans, rice (preferably long grain brown rice) veggies and fruit. I also limit potatoes and tomatoes with me having calcium absorption problems.

Im on a road to lose 169 lbs as of yesterday. I have lost 16 pounds total so far but I believe I had quite a bit of bloating due to dairy and meat products.

I did post on the veggie board but its a little slow paced. Can I join you all?

Autumn
  • Quote:
    Currently my fat consists of fish oil and flax seed
    Not to criticize but if you are taking fish oil then you are not a vegan. Good job on the weight loss. You may want to consider just going with the flax if being vegan is important to you.

I am on the slow road to veganism, I still eat dairy once a day most days. Good luck with your loss!
  • Hello! I am vegan and eat a whole foods diet. PM me anytime of you need support!

There are many great sources of EFA's that are indeed vegan, from oils to whole foods themselves.

Ciera, would you share your motivation to eventually become vegan? I always like to know why people make this choice (a great choice, in my opinion!).
  • Hello! I am fairly new to this section myself. I am not vegan but I am in the process of moving to a whole foods lifestyle.
  • Welcome everyone.. glad to have you.! You'll love the food!
  • Welcome, Autumn! I'm fairly new to the whole foods area of 3FC, but not to whole foods lifestyle. I'm not a vegan, but enjoy many of the foods vegans like.

I just wanted to say who much I have appreciated the Whole Foods threads. It's refreshing to have found a group that thinks the way I do about food. That has been a real challenge. I have many wonderful supportive friends here and IRL, but few who get into my rantings about "faux" foods to the degree I am capable of doing it :P When I start talking about baking my own whole wheat bread or growing lettuces at my support group, eyes start crossing and people think I am a bit nuts. Some just want the next 100-calorie pack of whatever is on the grocery shelf and my way of eating is completely foreign. It's good for a reality check for me, but I am so glad you all are here!
  • I love this whole foods section!!! I feel so inspired to start a grocery list ...I feed my almost three year old a whole lot of good foods but I snack on really unhealthy stuff after he is in bed...

My partner is vegetarian and I was one for about 8 years....traveling and living in Asia changed that for a year or two...I now eat fish and organic white meat with my little dude. I think being a vegan would be difficult for me but I would like to cut back on dairy items because I suspect that they do not work for me. I can take or leave meat items and mainly have some only a few times a month when I cook some for little dude (we struggled with what to feed him and I know that healthy growing food for little ones can be done on a veggie and or a vegan diet we were just unsure of our capabitlities of ensuring he had everything he needed).

Happy to find this section of the board and inspired by this thread