3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Whole Foods Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle-209/)
-   -   Veggie soup (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/111367-veggie-soup.html)

Mummy_Tummy 05-01-2007 08:13 AM

Veggie soup

I was experimenting again (not that it's all that original, Im sure) and threw some diced carrots, leek, turnip, swede, parsnip and sweet potatoes into a pot with enough water to cover it all and 2 cans of chopped tomatoes with juice. I boiled it for about an hour or so, til it was all tender and then pureed it, liquid and all. It made a nice thick cream style sort of soup, sweet and very filling. I think next time I might add some cabbage or spinach. Pumpkin, when in season or butternut squash would also be nice. This freezes really well so I always have an individual serving for lunch or a snack. I can have this with a bit of salad and maybe a wholemeal roll and feel very satisfied. Only thing I add to it is a bit of salt.

Yeah for :carrot:

bargoo 05-01-2007 09:24 AM

Sounds healthy, but what is swede?

AnneWonders 05-01-2007 09:46 AM

I googled swede and it looks like it is the English name for a rutabaga.

bargoo 05-01-2007 10:41 AM

ok, thanks, I know what rutabaga is.

ennay 05-01-2007 04:05 PM

I love veggie soup, I try to keep some in my freezer at all times for a quick meal...or like this morning I was starving and freezing so for a snack I had a big bowl of soup. Best use of 100 calories ever!

There are so many varieties to make too!

Sometimes I just boil up a big pot of the "base of a soup"- celery carrots, onion, broth, and freeze that and then for dinner I can just quick add whatever veggies are wilting in my fridge - cook til soft and puree. This is good to do if you do go to the trouble of cooking off a chicken carcass for broth...add the base veggies too before you freeze it.

I do add a fair bit of salt to my soups too.

WaterRat 05-04-2007 04:18 PM

I lost my weight originally on WW, and always had my version of their zero point soup around. I'd make a large pot every Sunday and eat it all week. I still make it a lot in the winter. My DH calls it "veg soak." :lol: Basically I start with canned tomatos and water or broth. I add onions, carrots, celery (not always), mushrooms, any leftover veg we have except broccoli/cauliflower (which I don't like in soup unless it's creamed). I also add a can of beans for a little protein. S&W used to have cans of spiced beans - Santa Fe I think and also Caribbean Black Beans - that were yummy esp in soup. If they still make them, my grocery store doesn't carry them. :(

Glory had a recipe a couple weeks ago with leek and chickpeas that was excellent - very thick and spicy.