Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #1  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

Default Wheat Berries?

I have tried twice to cook wheat berries.. they seem to cook for ever and never be done (I am boiling them)..
anyone ever cook these?

i wanted to make sort of a casserole with onions, garlic and mushrooms.. etc..
but I can't seem to cook them to "done"!!

Thanks,
Cary
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Although I have not cooked them myself, I did see a recipe for 2 c wheat berries, 4 c water and salt and then you cook them in a pressure cooker for 45 minutes. Pressure cookers cook a lot faster than just boiling--and 45 minutes in a pressure cooker is a long time!

Alternately, it suggests soaking overnight and then boiling for at least an hour.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #3  
Beach Babe Wannabe

I think I probably used too much water.. I don't have a pressure cooker.. I will give the overnight soak a try..

I had a wonderful pilaf at a great whole foods place here in town and I really want to duplicate it!!!

thank you,
Cary
Old 04-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love wheat berries. I cooked them slowly for about 90 minutes, with water about 3 to 1. I don't soak overnight, and while they're tender, they still have a sort of chewy texture.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I have some I haven't cooked yet. I need to remember to cook them one day soon. Anyone have recipes for them?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:50 PM   #6  

From the few times I have cooked them, they remain chewy.. not soft like rice or another grain. If you want something a bit softer for a casserole, you might try bulgur wheat

I use this recipe for wheat berries.. they are quite good

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pan-Roa...ad/Detail.aspx
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #7  
Beach Babe Wannabe

Yum... Linda..I copied that.. I had also never
heard of the Sonoma diet..

Colleen..
when you use 3-1 water do you have liquid left?

thanks!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #8  

It sort of depends. The first time I cooked them, I followed the package directions at 2.5 cups water to 1 cup berries and when the water was nearly all absorbed, I didn't think they were done, so I had to add another .5 cup of water and let them simmer some more. Since then I usually do 3 to 1 and sometimes there's a little water left, and I just drain them. But sometimes the berries have absorbed all of the water. I'm wondering if different types of wheat berries or even "batch to batch" absorb different amounts of water. It has seemed that some batches have gotten tender quicker than others, but it seems almost impossible to "overcook" them.

I like eating them with a bit of light margarine. The remind me a little bit of shoeped corn. I also add them to sauteed hamburger in things like tacos and spaghetti sauce. So I use them either as grain or as a protein either to stretcher or substitute for meat.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #9  
Beach Babe Wannabe

I had the most wonderful "Pilaf" with them at a place here in town.. it has onion and roasted garlic and mushrooms (several different kinds) and spices..
I want to try to duplicate it..

Thanks Colleen.. I bet is is just that they can be different from batch to batch..

Gonna give it a shot!
Cary
Old 04-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #10  

I once saw on the food channel that you can cook rice and other grains like pasta (lots of extra water, so it boils freely, and just drain when it's done), so when I'm in doubt, especially when cooking new grains, I just cook with extra water and just drain any extra away (except couscous, and quinoa which are pretty predictable, and besides I don't have a collander with holes small enough - I'd lose them down the drain).
Old 04-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #11  

Oh by the way, has anyone tried spelt berries? Spelt is a more primitive type or wheat, or relative to wheat, or something like that, they look pretty much the same as the wheat berries I have. I bought some and haven't tried them yet. What about rye berries? Any of the other less common whole grains?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/164/135

Height: 5'4

Nelie, just wanted to share my favorite wheat berry recipe - it's a chili from Good Housekeeping. Delish and easy to make.

http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodho...705490,00.html
LaurenNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I looked at that recipe and it inspired me to try a vegetarian chili with wheat berries. I made a huge batch of chili with wheat berries, black beans, diced tomatoes, quorn meat grounds, diced carrots, chopped onion, garlic, vegetable broth, chili powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper and a little salt. I calculated the total calories for my huge pot of chili and it came to 1700 calories. I imagine I'll get about 10 servings from it. I dished out some for tomorrows lunch and added some green beans.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #14  
Beach Babe Wannabe

yum Nelie..
I love good spicy veggit chili.. I make a butternut squash chili in the fall that is my VERY FAV.

I had chili for lunch today... but it was with four different beans and a bit of lean meat.. I LOVED it!!! and was really suprised how long it kept me full..

Colleen..
I love the idea of trying rye berries..
if anyone does.. let me know..
next time I go to whole foods.. i will see if I can find them..
Old 04-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #15  
it's always something

I bought an "Autumn Wheat Berry Salad" from a shop in Asheville over the winter that was soooo good! It included wheatberries, cranberries, small orange bits, sliced almonds, very finely minced celery and red onions. The dressing contained a little oil, orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, and honey. OH and it had a small amount of cubed butternut squash.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote