Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/164/135

Height: 5'4

Default So happy to find this!

Hi everyone, I am so glad to find a support area for people choosing to follow a more whole foods lifestyle instead of a specific diet plan. I did the Atkins diet several years ago and found an online community to be very helpful to me.

This time around, I started off by eliminating high fructose corn syrup, switching to whole grains and trying to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables. As I've been reading more and learning more, I'm gradually buying more organic, less processed and more local foods - some direct from the farmers themselves. I'm enjoying it, but still having some struggles between occasional falls off the wagon coupled with wanting to just reduce, reduce, reduce calories. I read Glory's story with great interest, especially about finding lesser calories to be counterproductive in her weight loss. I'm trying, but it's hard for me to not want to just keep eating less calories to try and lose more.

Hopefully participating in this forum will help me on my way to becoming a healthier person! (I also bought the Superfoods book this weekend after reading about it here, so it already is helping ). Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Lauren
LaurenNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #2  

Hi Lauren! Welcome!

I think many of us have found inspiration in Glory's story - and I, personally, have found so much of what she experienced to be true. I'm eating more now than I ever did when attempting to lose weight before, and I'm also seeing better results than ever before. I really believe that "keeping the fire stoked", so to speak, is the way to go - it doesn't mean you have to eat a lot all day long, but just that you eat regularly. It's made a big difference to me in terms of satisfaction, and allows me to make better choices because I'm never so hungry that I'm scouring the cupboards for anything and everything.

For myself, cravings for the most part are gone. I do still have my moments where I look at something and think it would be nice to take a bite, but the rollercoaster of cravings that I could never seem to control is gone - it's wonderful! I (as others have discovered) am eating things now that I never thought I would, and I love them.....even my DH is eating things he used to go out of his way to avoid, LOL! It's a pretty incredible life change As of today, I've lost 46 pounds and my DH has lost 31, and we're both very much sold on this way of eating. We truly can eat this way long-term, and I think that's key.

I've learned SO much from this forum and the people here, and think you'll really like it.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 135/130/120

Height: 5'3"

Welcome Lauren!
superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #4  

Lauren, Welcome to the forum. I too lost my weight and continue to lose it the Whole Foods way. So I am a big fan of the life style and am always tickled when people join us. I have found the food to be soo much more flavorful and rich than processed packaged stuff. The proof for me was also in my bloodwork. Better results there that made my doctor very happy.

All the yummy whole grains, differrent ways of preparing veggies has made me a lifer of this way of eating. Are you involved in an exercise program. We have an exercise sticky at the top of the page if you'd like to join. Right now we have an exercise challenge going on!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #5  

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone!

So funny that you should mention exercise. I just finished my first month at Curves today and got my measurements - I lost 8.25 inches, 6 pounds and 1% of body fat. I started off slow with exercise ... trying to get in 30 minutes every day. Now I'm up to trying to get in 60 minutes a day. I do a combo of Curves, jogging, exercise videos, and yoga. I will definitely join in on the exercise thread!

I think the combination of the whole foods eating and exercise are so important. I'm going back to the doctor for a follow up visit in a couple of weeks (I went in late December to gear up for starting off the New Year right with change in diet/starting exercise) and I really hope to see some major improvement in my blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

I'm made such a tremendous change in my lifestyle - I ate fast food for all my meals, never exercised, smoked and my stress level was sky high. So I quit my job, quit smoking, started exercising and am eating almost all whole foods/very little processed foods. I hate to say it, but I don't understand why I'm not losing more. That's why I keep wanting to reduce calories - which I know is not smart - but it is hard to resist.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #6  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Please tell me where I can read "Glory's story!!" I have already made a lot of progress in switching to whole foods, but I'm confused on a few issues and am needing ideas on making a variety of meals rather than the same thing. I would love to read this if someone would direct me to it. I glanced through the forum but didn't see it. Maybe I need a title or something?

Thanks!!

EDITED TO ADD: I found it!! Should have dug a little deeper before posting the above, but I'm glad I found it anyway!

And... LaurenNC!!

Last edited by RitzyFritz; 04-04-2007 at 11:26 PM.
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #7  

Hey Ritzyfritz, looks like you and I had the same kind of New Year's resolutions I started at the beginning of January, too! Well, I REALLY started in January - I halfheartedly began last fall with diet and quitting smoking, but only lost about 5 lbs. altogether over three months. New Year's I added in the exercise and have lost 20 more since then. Congrats on your weight loss!
Old 04-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #8  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenNC View Post
Hey Ritzyfritz, looks like you and I had the same kind of New Year's resolutions I started at the beginning of January, too! Well, I REALLY started in January - I halfheartedly began last fall with diet and quitting smoking, but only lost about 5 lbs. altogether over three months. New Year's I added in the exercise and have lost 20 more since then. Congrats on your weight loss!
WOW!! You have done really well yourself! I "started" back in July of 06 but, like you, didn't get real serious until Jan. But you know what? I have more determination this time than ever before! I just know I'm going through with it this time. It is just somehow different for me this time around....we are going to do this!!

Good luck, and I look forward to getting to know you as we make our journey to health together!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #9  

Welcome Lauren!! I did Atkins before to and this is WAAAYYY better!
phoebegirl is offline   Reply With Quote