Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #31  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Nelie, I notice you eat a lot of avocado. Do you cut it up fresh every day, or is there something you can do to keep it from getting all brown and icky if you cut it up a couple days in advance?
Jill, are you talking about keeping your guac green? I eat a lot of sliced avocado and eat it a couple of hours after I slice it if I'm at school. Even if I add lemon (and I always have to!), it still turns ever so slightly, just over the 2 hours. If it's for guac, though, you can stretch it a little longer (couple of days, maybe?) by keeping a couple of the pits in the bowl when you store it.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #32  

Here's me for today

Breakfast - whole grain toast with natural peanut butter, an orange
Snack - carrots and hummus
Lunch - whole wheat quesadilla with chicken breast, peppers, onions, a little monterey jack, chilies, avocado, tomatoes and shredded lettuce on top
Snack - strawberries and yogurt
Dinner - roasted salmon filet with lemon, lemon dill couscous and asparagus
Snack - sliced apple with a little cinnamon
Old 04-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #33  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Nelie, I notice you eat a lot of avocado. Do you cut it up fresh every day, or is there something you can do to keep it from getting all brown and icky if you cut it up a couple days in advance?
I've been eating it lately because I found it on sale. There are two things I've been doing.

1) cut a piece off of the pit and eat that piece, leave the rest in a tupperware.
2) put a little lemon juice on the avocado in the tupperware

I've been cutting it up at night for the next day. It really hasn't been getting brown so I haven't even been using the lemon juice. I don't really care for cutting it up too much advance since avocado is pretty easy to cut up especially with the nice thick skin as a cutting board of sorts.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #34  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, yesterday became a total disaster, so I'm DONE with it, moving on to today.

B - cheerios, 1/2 c 1% milk, 1 oz walnuts, ww toast w/smear of homemade current jelly

S - hard boiled egg, cut up peaches in juice

L - leftover stroganoff over small amt leftover mashed potatoes, apple

S - cottage cheese w/raspberries

D - chicken, brown rice, and something to make some sort of edible meal
Old 04-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

B- Blueberry pancake w/ reduced syrup
L- Garden salad w/ boiled egg
D- Tumbleweed Restaurant - Maybe a salad and soup
S- Birthday cake
Old 04-04-2007, 11:30 PM   #36  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

This is a WONDERFUL thread! In fact, I logged on just so I could ask what menus/recipes you all are using in the whole foods lifestyle and then I came across this thread!

So, I have been buying the superfoods for weeks now, but we are kinda getting burned out on me making the same thing all the time...stir fries, baked chicken, etc...we like some diversity.

I would really like some crockpot recipes using whole foods too! I like to use my crockpot a lot, so am really on a search for those for sure.

Keep these coming! I very much appreciate the ideas!!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #37  

Default Wednesday menu

Breakfast-
NF milk
Cheerios (I really need to go to the store!)
pineapple & applesauce

snack-
NF yogurt

Lunch-
roasted veggies (broch/ cauliflower/ carrots/ onion/ red potato)
Rotisserie chicken

snack-
small handful of pistachios

I did this good and then it all went to heck, I had the worst migraine and I was sure it was cold-turkeying off sugar...so I had some ice cream.

Dinner-
Beans and a tortilla.

I need to drink more water. Tomorrow is another day!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Breakfast~ Uncle Sam Cereal, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup soymilk, and coffee
Snack~ 4 fresh mandarin oranges
Lunch~ Leftover homemade lentil soup (I put tomato, spinach, and carrots in it when I made it)
Snack~ 2 rye crisp crackers and 3/4 oz light Cabot Cheddar
Dinner~ Amy's Pesto Pizza (maybe not a whole food, but yummy) and a spinach salad with grated carrot, 1 T raisins, and 1/2T oil vinegar dressing

I had factored in having a treat of dark chocolate, but I forgot to eat it and now I don't want it. Weird, huh?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:30 AM   #39  

It's late Wednesday, but here's my plan for tomorrow

Breakfast - steel cut oats with honey, walnuts and apple
Snack - Ry-Krisp with laughing cow light, cucumber and tomato
Lunch - ww tortilla with turkey breast, sprouts, avocado, spinach and hummus with fruit salad on the side
Snack - celery and natural peanut butter
Dinner - ginger chicken stir-fry with tons of veggies over brown rice, with sauteed sesame/garlic spinach
Snack - Tazo chai and some strawberries
Old 04-05-2007, 05:44 AM   #40  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Ritzy--I use my crockpot for lots of stuff, too. I like to do salsa chicken (chicken breasts with salsa, corn, black beans, and whatever seasonings and/or other veggies you like), potato chowder (I always look up a recipe for this online), bbq chicken mix stuff (yeah, I just toss whatever sounds good with bbq sauce into the pot--corn, diced potatoes, chicken, onions...)...I eat pretty much only chicken as my meat because I don't actually really like pork or beef. I do eat turkey as a substitute for some things (like turkey burgers and turkey sausage), but I don't like regular roast turkey either, so 99% of my recipes include chicken

As for me today, it might go something like this:
  • smoothie
  • orange
  • Lean Cuisine - lemongrass chicken
  • Jillpotle
  • TBD chicken and something for dinner
  • Healthy Choice ice cream bar
I have been overeating in the afternoons between when I get home from work (about 3:30) and when Jeff gets home from work (about 5:30). It's as if I think if no one sees me eat it, it doesn't count I was mostly eating frozen yogurt, but it's all gone now, and I won't buy any more. I'll stop at the store on my way home today for more Lean Cuisines (they're 1/2 price, and today's the last day of the sale) and Stonyfield Farm yogurt smoothies (on sale for $1 each, and Jeff likes them, too). Hopefully, stopping at the store will take up some of that free alone time in the afternoon for me, but I can't go shopping every day, so I'll have to learn to deal.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #41  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

All this talk about avocado, I've got to share with you guys a wonderful salad.

1 can of hearts of palm, drained, and sliced
Grape tomatoes, as much or as little as you like, quartered
3 Avocados, or more depending on how many you are feeding, or less, diced
1 small red onion, diced
Juice of one lemon
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
a little salt if you want
a bit of pepper
Mix it all up. I'm am not a hearts of palm lover, but in this it just works. I even serve this for company. You just can't possibly make enough of it - I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't like it - even those who are anti-avocado.

Today's menu: Another tough day for me without my usual stuff. But I managed yesterday.

B- 3 egg white omlette, with sauteed veggies
S- fat free yogurt
L - Spinach, red onion, mango, strawberry salad. Probably 1/2 can plain tuna as well, but not mixed together
S - apple sliced and sprinkled with cinnamon, yumm
D- spaghetti squash with sauteed portabello mushrooms, onions and chicken breast chunks and a little marinara
S- perhaps a wedge of cantalope

Jilly if you know that's a bad time for you, maybe instead of shopping, like you said you can't do it everyday, pencil SOMETHING else in there, even if it's straightening up the house, paying bills, laundry - whatever. Or how about adding in a snack for that time of day?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #42  
Working My Way Back Down

Robin, that sounds delicious. I'd never eaten hearts of palm til I was in Costa Rica in Jan. Nearly every meal we ate (well, not breakfast) had a salad bar and always hearts of palm. I quite liked them.

Here's another fantasy story for today. I haven't kept 100% to my plan any day this week yet....

B - (true as I've already eaten it) oatmeal with raisins and walnuts, 1% milk, ww toast with cranberry jelly

S - hard boiled egg, applesauce - not together!

L - leftover stroganoff that I didn't eat yesterday (when I opted for a turkey/avocado sandwich)

S - ff latte

D - out with GFs - the "plan" is a chef's salad
Old 04-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Breakfast~ Uncle Sam cereal, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup soy milk, & coffee
Snack~ 1/2 slice of Portugese sweet bread (homemade~I only make it once a year for Easter so it's a splurge) & fresh mandarin orange
Lunch~ Cliff Nectar Bar (they only have 5 ingredients, just fruit & nuts) & Butternut Squash Soup
Snack~ banana
Dinner~ I'm going to an industry (wine industry) open house tonight, so depending on how I do with the wine and appetizers, that may be dinner for me. I might have a salad when I get home.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

B~ww tortilla, 1 T PB, 1/4 c fiber one cereal
S~strawberries and blackberries
L~Trader Joe's lowfat Southwest salad
S~apple and/or kashi roll
D~unknown. I have a dinner meeting and don't know who is in charge of food. It could be chips and salsa or sandwiches. It's always a mystery!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #45  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Jilly if you know that's a bad time for you, maybe instead of shopping, like you said you can't do it everyday, pencil SOMETHING else in there, even if it's straightening up the house, paying bills, laundry - whatever. Or how about adding in a snack for that time of day?
I DO have a snack planned, but I can never seem to stop at just my planned piece of fruit or smoothie or salad or sandwich or whatever--it's just that tiome when I'm home alone that I just am always wanting to eat--not hungry, just wanting to eat. I DID do laundry during that time yesterday (which ended up including cleaning out my walk-in closet to find the clothes I wanted to wash ), but no matter what I do at home, I always find time to run into the kitchen. I've really tried everything to keep busy or keep my mind off it--I need to just suck it up and stop being stupid, basically.
Closed Thread