3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   Supporting Each Other on Our Weight Loss Journey (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/98216-supporting-each-other-our-weight-loss-journey.html)

CarebearsChris 12-19-2006 08:03 AM

Welcome Erica. Yes, you can jump right in. I know exactly what you mean. It is hard to do well week after week. Just hang in there, it does get easier with time...at least it has for me.

mpaigew 12-19-2006 08:40 AM

Happy Tuesday all!

Chris-Great job on avoiding those not so nice foods! And the loss, too...3.4lbs, that is awesome!

Erica-Welcome to our little group! It was a good place to "land" the women here are such great support. I know what you are talking about, not letting your gaurd down after that first week. I realized with myself this time around that with the previous attempts I was setting myself up to fail because I would reward myself for being "good" with food, saying "Ohhh, I've been soo good this week...I can cheat just a little!" DON'T let your gaurd down, because it's a downward spiral. It is SO hard to get back on track after cheating. Reward yourself another way that doesn't involve food.

Anyway...how is everyone's week going so far? I think I did ok yesterday. I was so determined on Sunday to start tracking again, but apparently not determined enough because I haven't started yet. I'm going to start today, for sure. No, for real.

Soooo I made up a huge tray of assorted cookies and candies for dh to take into work, and he got so many people ask him if I was still taking orders. Uhhh, no way! I think next year I will probably still do them (who was I kidding to say that I wasn't?!) but I am going to work on a pricing system so that I can actually make some money on them. I've never had to go any buy them, so it's hard for me to know what people will pay. And I'm going to have to figure out something to keep me from not eating them! I've figured out that it's not actually when I'm baking them, it's afterwards when they are done and I'm curious how they taste (like I don't already know?!) Maybe I just need to tell my brain that I don't eat sugar anymore....I don't think it would believe me though.

I am actually off to do more baking now for dd's teacher's gifts. Can't eat sugar...can't eat sugar...can't eat sugar....

CarebearsChris 12-19-2006 09:17 AM

mpaigew, had to laugh at you saying 'can't eat sugar, can't eat sugar'. I usually make hard rock candy for the holidays. DH is an uncontrolled diabetic (he won't give up his sweets) and I don't want any candy. Both DH and some friends asked if I was going to make any this year. NOOOOO. Well that didn't work. So I have to make some. Only making 3 batches and that is it. If they don't like it they can make it themselves.

mpaigew 12-19-2006 12:44 PM

Chris-Yeah, holiday baking is so hard. I'm sure you guys are getting so sick of hearing me talk about it, but besides my kids, baking (litterally) is my life! I'm going to school to become a pastry chef...so try balancing that with WW! I love baking SO much, though, that it is worth it. It's like how some people are with gardening...they start with a seed and watch it grow into a beautiful plant. That's how I am with baking. You start with things that are separate on their own (flour, sugar, eggs, etc etc etc) and create these dishes and products that people are in awe over. I just love it...unfortuately my taste buds do too!!!

djmommy 12-19-2006 02:20 PM

Hi guys been MIA The kids are better so I have been shopping.... You would think I lost weight... I did not O gained . Oh well as long as I 09do not this week ithis is the challenge. I only gained 1 pd .I guess if I would have recorded I would not have gained. Sometimes I get 9so confused on how many pts to write down whenI make something. I bought a cook book today at the meeting I thought that may be the easy 0way.. We will see if it works...

Welcome Erica, This is a good pplace to land.I have only been here for a few weeks but it helps to have the support.
I better go I need to clean this house... Good luck everyone on the wi this week.

derrydaughter 12-19-2006 02:58 PM

Welcome Erica! You picked a good place to "land". Tell us your biggest troubles and we'll brainstorm with you.
Chris, great job!
Paige, I baked cookies this morning and some of the sugar went in my mouth. Now, after eating a healthy CORE lunch, I feel somewhat bloated and awful.
I totally LOVE to hear about your baking, so don't stop telling us about it. I think it's wonderful that you can make money doing something you love and you will surely figure out a way to make money at it all.
I have a few thoughts for you.
Firstly, you must try to get a freezer so you can make things ahead and not be so crazy near the end. Have you ever heard of Freecycle? Search on line for it. It's the most cool thing ever, it's a way for people to make postings about things they want to get rid of and things they want. It's a way to pass along things and keep things out of landfills. For example, I posted that we were looking for a roof car top carrier and someone answered that they had one they wanted to get rid of. We drove over and picked it up and it's ours - it saves us a few hundred dollars, probably and these people got rid of something they no longer wanted. We've gotten rid of tons of things that way and gotten several other things as well. I even got a sewing machine!
Do you buy in bulk? If not, I'd go to Sam's Club or a place like that and buy in large quantities. Perhaps you should even buy all the ingredients separate from your household stuff for money making and save receipts. If you can figure out your exact cost (even electric/gas for oven) into this thing and then give yourself an hourly rate, you might make some money. I do wonder if the cookies would be priced so high that you wouldn't make much at all, though?
One thing I am is a quilter, I made great quilts and some people think I'm pretty good at it. I entered a quilt in a quilt show last year and there were 290 quilts in the show and I took the first place "best of show" ribbon. Someone asked me if they could "commission" me to make a quilt for them and I laughed at them and no one would want to pay me what one of my quilts is truly worth in terms of time spent. The queen size quilt that won took me seven years to make, it's a labor of love.
I view my quilting as a great hobby, everyone I love has some of my work for themselves. If I love you, you get a quilt. I wouldn't want to charge people as it is impractical.
So, maybe the cookies might not be profitable, but maybe you still love it enough and the people enough to still do it? Good luck making that decision!
As for me, I have my meeting and weigh in today. I'm feeling kind of full and bloated and wondering if I blew it or not? I'll let you all know!
Linda

CarebearsChris 12-19-2006 03:06 PM

Linda, My ears perked up when you said Freecycle. It is very near and dear to my heart. Myself and my girlfriend started the local freecycle group several years ago. I have in the past served on the international group that worked on the concept of FC. I encourage everyone to check it out. www.freecycle.org to find a local group. FC's mission is to keep items out of landfills.

EricaL 12-19-2006 09:20 PM

lost big, but will it last?

Well, I had my WI tonight and I lost a whopping 6 pounds! I knew that I was going to do well, but definitely not that well. It was actually week 4 for me. I really buckled down though. But now, as I mentioned before, will I keep it going? Christmas is going to be tough, no doubt. I just HAVE to keep going!

mpaigew-you are a very brave woman! I too love to bake, I own and operate a seasonal bakery (thankfully it's not open this time of year). But for this year, I decided to not bake any Christmas cookies (yikes, that was hard!). Mainly because I just know myself, I have absolutely no self-control when it comes to baking and not tasting, eating everything in sight!! So I really commend you!!

EricaL 12-19-2006 09:21 PM

p.s. I'm trying to figure out how to post my signature...

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6eZHcm/]
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...Hcm/weight.png

Newlifestyle 12-19-2006 09:25 PM

Hi,

I was wondering can anyone help me understand the new points system. I am doing WW on line. I can't seem to figure out the new point system. I know to take the first two numbers of my weight....19 but then I am unsure what else I need to do, can anyone help me. I run 3 miles a day.
I don't know why I am not understanding it. The previous point system worked fine for me, I knew I had 24 points a day and then 35 extra points per week. I think it may be easier to just stick with that.

Thanks

CarebearsChris 12-19-2006 09:56 PM

Do you have the new Week 1 book. It is all explained there on page18

EricaL 12-20-2006 06:44 AM

I thought the new points calculation was kind of strange too, especially because now I have 2 more points to eat each day. I know I should be happy about that, I will if I keep dropping the pounds.

derrydaughter 12-20-2006 08:30 PM

Chris, I love Freecycle as well. I was a moderator for a long time and now am owner/moderator of a spin-off group called "community helper". This has grown of 7 groups through NH and MA! I'm the "mom". Community Helper is the way for folks to do the things that they all try to get away with on Freecycle like post yard sales, small items for sale, church suppers, ask community questions, etc. No businesses my post, it's small town stuff and kind of fun.
I love the kind of community sharing that goes on in our groups as well as in Freecycle. I'm sure Paige would be able to get a freezer and for free!
Erica, way to go with a 6 pound loss! I'm impressed.
I lost one pound at my weigh in yesterday. I was proud of myself, and still am, but your loss is fantastic!
I'm continuing my CORE plan. I shall take a break over the weekend and on Christmas. I will eat what I want and enjoy, I shall not feel guilt. If I gain next week, I will smile and say it was worth it!
Also, I'm going to be prepared! There is a horrible stomach flu going around our area and I dread the thought of it, but I want to have my ginger ale, Pepsi, chicken broth, saltines and Jello on hand. My mom's home remedy for a stomach bug used to be to let Pepsi go flat by leaving it out and then drink it. She always claimed that Coke wouldn't work for this, not sure way, but I found that drinking flat Pepsi is soothing. It's one of those bugs that you get it and get it bad, then you are stuck at home for about 3 or 4 days before you are better! Beware! That, surely is NOT the way any of us want to lose weight!
Linda

EricaL 12-21-2006 06:22 AM

stomach bug

derrydaughter- that sounds awful about the stomach flu. A good friend of mine has invited me over for coffee (either today or tomorrow) but I am sadly declining because her 2 yr. old has some nasty virus right now and I really don't want my daughter who is the same age to get it. That's awesome that you lost a pound, yeah!!! Just curious about your name "derrydaughter" are you a farmer''s daughter?

ECmom 12-21-2006 07:24 AM

Welcome Erica!!!!!!!! Congrats on the loss Chris!!!!!!!!
Busy day......see ya!
Ginny