3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   Suporting Each Other on Our Weight Loss Journey (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/95535-suporting-each-other-our-weight-loss-journey.html)

derrydaughter 10-08-2006 06:48 AM

Suporting Each Other on Our Weight Loss Journey

Well, we have a group of great people who are posting what is going on in their lives and we are working together. Sometimes I feel like our group is kind of like a mini dose of a WW meeting on a daily basis. We're making it work and helping each other.
C'mon and join us and we'll help each other. We talk about what works and what doesn't work. We share recipes and we applaud and we sympathize!
:hug:
We're here to help and enjoy with you!
Linda

derrydaughter 10-08-2006 07:00 AM

The one point chili recipe and it's modifications

Here is the recipe my leader gave out a few weeks ago and I put in parenthesis what changes I made. My changes made it 2 points per one cup serving, but I wanted more beans and a teeny bit more turkey to feel more full, etc.!

Chili:

10 ounces lean ground turkey (I used a pound) browned
1 med onion, diced
1 med zucchini, diced
2 med yellow squash, diced
4 stalks celery (I omitted, it was fine without it, I'm allergic to celery!)
2 green peppers, diced (added one red bell pepper diced as well to make up for not using the celery)
2 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained (I added a can of chick peas (garbanzo beans) and a can of kidney beans, both rinsed and drained as I wanted a heartier chili and didn't mind going for 2 points)
2 cans low sodium beef broth
1 package chili seasoning (I used an envelope of Mccormick's and it was really tasty)

-The directions say mix all and simmer for 30 minutes. I didn't do that, I didn't even brown the turkey, I tossed it all in my crock pot and cooked it on high for about 5 hours until the squash and onions looked fully cooked through. You could probably leave it all day on low? It was great and it made enough to freeze portions for lunches on brisk fall days!

Original recipe is 1 point = 1 cup, but if you do what I modified by adding more turkey and beans it is 2 points = 1 cup. It is all a core recipe.

Enjoy!!!!
Linda

spanky 10-08-2006 08:50 AM

Hey There!

I feel up to an INTENSE week this morning--gonna rock my plan really hard and see how much I can lose by next Monday.

Let's GO!:D

Ipa

Rosegarden 10-08-2006 12:38 PM

sounds yummy Linda - I'll give that a shot tomorrow in the crockpot.

Glad you started the new thread. I have a lot of issues on this site anyway. I think it's the advertising the messages with the ad blocker and I know that's the problem when I access at work. Takes quite a bit of time to load even on a T-1 Line.

I just posted on the October thread that I had issues with counting what I ate at the potluck wedding dinner last night. Potato salad, taco salad, mini frankfurters, small slice of wedding cake, jello salad. A small spoonful of each, picture about a silver dollar size. and a small dinner roll with a ham slice (deli slice size) and about a t. of mayo. I'm really lost. I had only eaten 6 points up to that point but I'm horrible at figuring out the rest of it.

I vowed not to avoid going to social events but this one was really hard as I was hungry and there weren't a lot of healthy choices. I guess, maybe next time, I'll have to eat ahead of time and just eat the veggies. Always a challenge isn't there.

derrydaughter 10-08-2006 12:57 PM

Hi Ipa, I'm up for some hard work this week too! Maybe we should make a one week challenge for this group and see who can lose the most by next Monday? I won't win, but it might help me with motivation?
Rose, seems like all the wonderful social gatherings we go to do not include healthy choices. I know one way to get around it is offering (if it's not catered or that kind of thing) to bring something. If you make sure what you bring is a good choice, it always gives you a way to deal.
I often offer to bring the salad or offer veggies and dip, those items are all ok for me. If I get the dip for the veggies, it can be fat free or low fat.
I have issues with this site as well, a love/hate relationship. When threads get too long postings get lost and it gets really slow and the auto notifications don't seem to come through.
I've always tried to restart the thread after about 12 pages, but I admit I got lazy.
Speaking of lazy, I'm heading outdoors! It's a beautiful day here in NH and my husband is teaching me how to drive our tractor with the snowblower on the front of it. I need to learn. He travels on business all the time out of state and we bought a used tractor to save the $$$ we spend to have our driveway plowed. The tractor will pay for itself in a few years and then we'll have something of our own.
Wish me luck tractor driving! : )
Linda

tweedle_dee 10-08-2006 01:38 PM

Sorry I haven't been around the past couple of days. I've been so sick that I could barely hold my head up.:( I was so proud of myself for keeping up an exercise routine and since I started feeling bad I haven't exercised at all. I feel like a slug! I'm afraid that when I do feel well enough to get back to it my stamina will be back down to nothing. Okay...I've whined enough, LOL! ;)

I went to weigh in, but stayed off to myself during the meeting to avoid sharing my funky cold. A lot the members at my meeting are elderly and I would hate to be responsible for making them sick. I didn't budge the scale one way or the other this past week. I stayed at 274. I'm relieved that it didn't show a gain. I ended up using some of my extra 35 on Friday and Saturday, but I don't feel bad about it because all my choices were healthy.

Linda, my bday is on Feb. 10th. All of the girls in my immediate family were born in February. (My mom-Feb 3rd; my sister-Feb 26th, me the 10th, and my dd-Feb. 15th)Thanks for sharing that chili recipe. I'm going to fix it up this week for me and the kids. My husband works nights, so cooking anything that results in yummy low point leftovers makes my weekdays a lot easier. I hope your tractor driving lesson goes well today.

Ginny, my meeting is at 9:30 a.m. I went even though I was sick because I just couldn't stand to miss even one. The meetings really help me recharge each week.

Rose, :woohoo: for you on the 1 1/2 lb. loss! Don't stress about the potluck wedding dinner. You're doing so well at watching your portions. You did great, really! I don't know if I could've settled for just a little wedding cake. I am a nut for cakes, donuts, cookies, brownies, and pastries.

Paige, I definitely understand getting so busy that you don't really eat enough and then wanting to pig out. That is a very bad habit of mine that I need to work on. I wish I had advice on how to stop it, but all I can offer is a, "hang in there sister!"

Ipa, you sound like you're going to be on fire this week! Good for you! Maybe your awesome attitude can motivate the rest of us!

Alright, ladies, I'm going to brew up some green tea and try to figure out how to force this cold to hurry up and hit the road.

Take care of yourselves!

Vicki

derrydaughter 10-08-2006 03:11 PM

Vicki, hope you feel better. Perhaps some chicken soup (low in points as well) instead of that chilli would do the trick? So many people are sick!
I did ok on the tractor lesson, it's kind of scary as it sort of "jumps" when it moves much different from a car. I'll try it again several more times so I can get to know the machine before I'm stuck dealing with snow.
I love cookies and cakes as well, my downfall. My darling daughter baked oatmeal cookies today and chocolate chip cookies yesterday. She loves to bake and it's really bad having these items in the house.
I hope she gets too busy to bake more stuff!
Linda

mpaigew 10-09-2006 09:01 AM

Hi all...I'm so glad to have a day where the only thing that needs to be done is to try to keep the house picked up! Oh, and study for a quiz for my mixology class tomorrow morning. Last week was such a busy week. Yesterday was the bday appetizer football party-lunch for my mil. It sounds funny, but I love to feed people...I get such satisfaction out of seeing their faces when they are really enjoying something that I made. I will literally spend weeks pouring over cookbooks finding new recipes to try. I have such a love-hate relationship with food! It's almost torture to have such a passion for creating new dishes or desserts because I'm constantly struggling to lose weight. I really cannot wait until I am out of school and can get a job...at least then I can feed people and not have the leftovers in my refrigerator!!! LOL! Anyway...I didn't do very well eating wise yesterday, either. I knew when I re-started counting pts last week that I wouldn't. Today is a new day and I'm back in gear. Tomorrow is WI, too.

Just to refresh my goals in my head, I want to...

Be in ONEderland by Christmas
Wear this one black dress that I got a few years ago to dh's xmas party
Be in Christmas pictures with my dd's and be able to look at them with out cringing!

Hope you all had a good weekend!
Paige

Rosegarden 10-09-2006 11:20 AM

Pretty good weekend.

Linda - Thanks for the reminder. I should have taken something I could eat. That would have been the best solution. Now to dig out my recipes and find stuff that no one would guess was low cal and OP

derrydaughter 10-09-2006 01:02 PM

Paige, you sound so much like me - I pour over cookbooks and love to make great foods for people as well. I really try to please others and it ends up that I overeat when I am doing this.
I must confess, I had Chinese food last night. I was going to do something else and my ingredients had not defrosted and I blew it, totally. I am now 4 points over my allotment of flex points for the week. I get weighed tomorrow and I am not expecting anything successful.
But, today, I am journaling and I am still working. I've not lost the war, only one of the battles. Chinese food is my biggest weakness and all someone needs to do is mention it and it's irresistible.
Does anyone have any low point Chinese food type recipes that really taste great? Maybe if I can find enough things, I will stop this crazy behaviour?
Well, off to the boring laundry, hanging my head in shame about last night's dinner. At least I threw away the leftovers and refused to have them in the house!
Linda

Sunflower22 10-09-2006 03:18 PM

Thanks for your post and the recipe! I hope I can jump in this thread and participate what with being new and all!

Here are my goals for this month:

be down to 22 points a day
fit into my "favorite" jeans
remain binge free while still enjoying the use of my flex points.

Quest_2B_Thin 10-09-2006 07:32 PM

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty good here, that's great. I have WI tomorrow (on my home scale, I don't go to meetings) and am expecting a good result.

On the bad side, I learned about "animal style" from a WW thread last night. I guess it's from the secret menu at IN-N-OUT Burger. Now DH wants me to make his garden burger (the only meat we eat is fish) "animal style" That means you fry the gb IN mustard, grill some onions, and put their secret sauce all over it. Not sure how I'm supposed to do that last part, but I think it's time he gets back in the kitchen. He can make this one, lol. Of course, why do I always learn about these horribly high point food things on the WW message boards :dizzy: ?

Well, you guys are awesome so now I've got to get revved up to compete. Talk with you later, and thank for making me feel so welcome earlier (and different thread).

ECmom 10-09-2006 07:56 PM

Oh brother, disappear for a few days and things get busy here!!!!
Quest- good luck with your WI. (mine is Wednesday when I return to my normal meeting). Never heard of "animal style" -but I am aware of the challenges of eating out. Have you ever checked out www.dwlz.com? She has a ton of restaurants and entrees, points values too.....she is not official WW but her point values are not far from reality and at least helpful in making choices.

Linda-That is how I get thru those dinners at someones house, I bring something "safe" that I like to share. Sometimes it is the only way to cope.

Vicki-hope you are feeling better.

Sunflower- gee, you have a problem with binge eating too??????? Do you have an action plan to break up those binge moods? Good luck!

Linda- see if you can get your hands on the WW Take Out Tonight cookbook.
It is great and you can really cook chinese and stay OP. My family loves the Hot and Sour Soup, Wonton Soup, fried rice- gee lots more but the cookbook is upstairs. Give me a clue what you like, I can send you some recipes.

Paige- perhaps a new cookbook or magazine would help your love/hate with food. It allows you to try new stuff........and not suffer the consequences.
My library gets Light and Tasty (magazine) perhaps yours does too (if the cost of a magazine is a problem). I love it, and am always trying new stuff to stave off boredom.

Rose- sounds as though you did a fine job of damage control at that pot luck.
Be positive,think of all the mistakes you did not make.

This weekend has been tough-but I did ok today. We went for a 7 mile bike ride as a family- then to Olive Garden for dinner. No, I did not blow it. I ordered a low fat/point entree (used that www.dwlz.com to find that) doggie bagged half for tomorrows lunch. Now if I can only keep from stress eating the rest of today............oh brother.
Sorry to be brief- catching up with everyone is tough!
g'nite
Ginny

derrydaughter 10-10-2006 05:07 AM

Sunflower, good to see you and also Quest on this thread as well! Together, we can do this. Separately, the will power needed is really incomprehensible! Lucky thing I am not a big mustard fan, that animal style thing doesn't appeal to me at all. I've never heard of In-N-Out Burger, must be a West coast kind of place?
Ginny, I will look for that take out tonight cookbook, I've never heard of it. Probably at the used book shops? Must be an older one, or perhaps a new one??? Sounds like you did a fine job at Olive Garden.
I kind of blew it last night AGAIN... what is wrong with me? I was here on this web site posting, did ok all day and then we ended up going to the local mall to buy something needed and it was dinnertime and we all ended up dining out. I did order baked Haddock, which is certainly better than the veal parmesan my husband had. I had rice rather than fries and low fat dressing on my salad. I couldn't resist a bit of bread and butter, though, but I could have made some really horrible choices.
Eating out is killing me. I hope to not have to do that all week, I do so much better when I eat at home.
Linda

Sunflower22 10-10-2006 10:29 AM

In N Out is only in CA, AZ and Vegas - but hands down, they're my favorite (I lived in the Bay Area for 5 years and ate my share!) Their protein burgers are a little more healthy!