Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #1  
Returning Member

Default Constantly Cold & Tired Losing Weight?

Hi everyone,

Is anyone else experiencing feelings of extreme cold and fatigue while losing weight? My hands and feet in particular are always freezing, and I could easily sleep 10 hours a day. This has been going on for the past couple of months and is only getting worse. I'm still able to exercise, but it's getting more exhausting, not easier.

I used to follow WW, but I've been following the South Beach Diet for about four months and have lost about 50 lbs. I still have about 100 more to go, but it's been going pretty well so far, although my weight loss slowed down in the past couple of weeks.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and he's doing bloodwork, but he also suggested my problem could be from losing weight too fast and my body slowing my metabolism down. He suggested I eat more! Aaack! I know we don't count calories on SBD, but I figure I'm eating around 1600/day, plus I only exercise about 1/2 hour to an hour a day, so it's not like I'm starving. One of the things I like about SBD is that I get to eat every 2-3 hours, and I haven't been hungry!

I've lost weight at about this rate before, on WW, and experienced more energy, not less. I also do not remember feeling this cold. I do remember feeling constantly hungry on WW, which I am not on SBD. Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
Kim

Started SBD 1/23/06
305/254/150
Old 05-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #2  
Teapot Diva-short & stout

It is very common to feel cold when losing weight. Try drinking some bouillion to help with the lack of energy. It'll help boost your electrolytes. Hang in there!!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:26 AM   #3  
Returning Member

I'll try the soup - I hadn't though of that - Thanks!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Height: 5'2"

Also, he may find that your iron level is low. Are you taking a multivitamin with iron? That may help if you're not.
I found that after I had gastric bypass and lost 170 lbs, my tolerance to cold has been affected. I have to bundle up all the time and wear a sweater at work with the air conditioning.
Of course even with me gaining back 50 lbs, I still have an intolerance to cold.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:46 AM   #5  
DNR
Determined Woman

I am no more tired than usual, but I'm always cold. My hands are like ice every day when I leave for lunch and then after I go for my walk during lunch time, they are fine when I get back for a while. Then after a couple of hours, they are cold again.

I have noticed that I can work a lot harder without sweating than I ever used to. I'm getting used to it I guess but I'm wearing long sleeves in my office when everyone else has their summer short sleeves on.

DNR
Old 05-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Height: 5'2"

I know I have frequently sat in my car in the summer without turning on the air conditioner on to warm up!!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #7  
Returning Member

Thanks for the replies - the cold is really amazing - I used to be so hot all the time!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #8  
Returning Member

Thanks, everybody for the support and ideas. Most of my bloodwork has come back normal, which is good. I'm still waiting for a few additional results, but it looks like this is all just a side effect of losing weight. Maybe now that summer is finally coming to the great white north, things will get better.
Closed Thread