Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/215/150

Height: 5' 4"

Unhappy SO discouraged....can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Hello all--I just had my 6th WI tonight (including the initial one) and I am really unhappy with the results I am getting. Here's how it's been:

1st week -3.4
2nd week +0.2
3rd week -2.8
4th week -1.6
5th week -0.2

TOTAL -7.8

I write down EVERYTHING I eat, stay at my assigned points, rarely use any Flexpoints, drink almost double the water recommended, follow the "rules", and, for the last two weeks, I have exercised for 30 minutes 5 days each week (cardio and weights alternating)! Disappointed hardly describes how I feel. What really made it hard today was that there was a woman there who lost over 7 pounds this week, and this was her FIRST week! UGH. What am I doing wrong? Sorry for the huge rant, but I could just cry. I am trying so hard, and it doesn't seem worth it! HELP, please!

P.S. I read the thread about the TOM and WI, and Aunt Flo just left, so I guess that could be part of it, but still...

Last edited by kittyglitter; 05-02-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Lets look at the numbers

In 5 weeks you lost 7.8 lbs.

10 weeks results in 15.6 lbs.
15 weeks results in 23.4 lbs.
20 weeks results in 31.2 lbs.
25 weeks results in 39 lbs.
30 weeks results in 46.8 lbs.
35 weeks results in 54.6 lbs.
40 weeks results in 62.4 lbs.
45 weeks results in 70.2 lbs.
50 weeks results in 78 lbs.

It puts you at your goal in under a year. It is a healthy rate to lose weight. And (this is the real kicker for me), you have to eat the same way to effectively keep the weight off for the rest of your life, so in terms of the next 20-40-60 years, it is not that bad at all.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Actually, you're doing great! Don't go by what others lose--that person probably lost a lot of water weight. You're losing at a rate of over a pound a week, which is what's healthy and recommended. Although you're probably afraid to use flexpoints, consider using more flexpoints and see what happens.

Also, if you're not eating breakfast (as many don't), start eating that meal within an hour of waking up. A fellow WW started losing more when she started eating breakfast.

Personally, I've found slow and steady to be the best way to learn healthy eating habits and to avoid excess skin issues.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #4  
Another Tammy

At the beginning, I really tried not to use the flex points, as well. I've found, though, that I lose better when some are used. It kind of keeps your metabolism on it's toes by getting slightly varying points each day. In my higher loss weeks, I've used approx. half my flex points at some point during the week. The weeks I've used all or none/hardly none of my points, have had lower losses. I also suggest reading up on the "Wendie Plan" (link at the top of the page). It explains more about varying your points on certain days and how it's benefitted some people. If nothing else, it's an interesting read that might give you a little insight into things you may consider helpful.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #5  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

You are doing awesome! From everything I've read (both here and in my study books) 2 pounds a week is really the max you should lose. The first few weeks some people lose more, but it's mostly water weight... (Which is probably the case with that woman... after next week you should see her loss curb to 1/2 - 2 pounds per week)
Old 05-02-2006, 11:16 PM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyglitter
Hello all--I just had my 6th WI tonight (including the initial one) and I am really unhappy with the results I am getting. Here's how it's been:

1st week -3.4
2nd week +0.2
3rd week -2.8
4th week -1.6
5th week -0.2

TOTAL -7.8
7.8 in 5 weeks is an average of 1.56 a week. Average weight loss (that is in a healthy range is) .5-2 pounds a week with most people averaging just right around 1 a week. Guess what you are on the high end of the average.

Quote:
I write down EVERYTHING I eat, stay at my assigned points, rarely use any Flexpoints, drink almost double the water recommended, follow the "rules", and, for the last two weeks, I have exercised for 30 minutes 5 days each week (cardio and weights alternating)! Disappointed hardly describes how I feel.
Where are you eating in your points. With all that exercise are you eating your ActivityPoints and maybe some if not all of your FlexPoints. I know we are programed to eat much, much less when in reality that our body needs fuel to function.

Quote:
What really made it hard today was that there was a woman there who lost over 7 pounds this week, and this was her FIRST week!
As stated before DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS!!!!!! First all the first 1-3 weeks usually has a lot of water losses along with some fat losses. If you had already been hydrated then you wouldn't have those losses. If you started or changed an exercise routine then you could have some retention problems and those can last a few weeks until your body adjusts. This is not a quick loss plan this is a for life plan. Besides the slower you take it off the less chance you have of rapid regain as well as your body adjusts better and less chance of 'jiggly skin.'

Quote:
What am I doing wrong?
Because you didn't give us much to go on read the following 7 items and truthfully answer them (some will be a repeat of what I said above):

1) Where in your points are you eating? Most people find they lose better when eating above their TPs by using APs and FPs to give a higher or moderate day. Especially if you are exercising you need to eat toward the high end and not the low end. The reason is because your body thinks it is starving and slows down your metabolism and holds on to the calories you intake.

2) What are you spending your points on? Review POINTS PIES Also make sure you get in some REAL fat (preferably in healthy fats but also butter, margarine, mayo, real salad dressing, etc). I had subconsciously removed almost all fat from my diet and had plateaued for SIX (count them 6) months. Make sure you get in some fat.

3) Are you drinking your water?

4) Are you eating alot of processed foods (canned, frozen, etc.) which contain alot of sodium which causes water retention. What about diet sodas? They can cause bloating and water rentention.

5) Are you exercising? Have you taken your measurements to see if you are building muscle while losing? Remember muscle weighs 2.2 times more than fat for the same amount of space (that does not mean muscle weighs more than fat pound for pound but volume for volume it will be heavier) however remember it takes many months to build muscle. If you just started exercise or have made a major change to your routine you can be retaining water. If you are exercising remember to eat high in your point range.

6) Are you journaling? This includes every BLT (bite, lick and taste). Those BLTs can add up in 'hidden' points.

7) Are you calculating points correctly? Ninety percent of new members don't count points correctly. I have a favorite muffin and until last week (I've been on program for almost 2 years) I just realized my 3 point muffin is really 6 points because it is 2 servings. Make sure you use the nutritional information rather than the 'generic' list W/W puts out. You'll find alot of differences.

Now here are the PointsPies -- are you following one of them?

Balanced (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8-9 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 6-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day
Milk and Milk Products – 4-6 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Protein (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 5-6 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 9-11 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-1 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-4 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Carb (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 9-10 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 5-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 1-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 1-2 points a day

20-28 points a day

-----

Balanced (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 11 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 10 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 3-4 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Protein (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 12 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 2-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 4-5 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Carb (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 13 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 8 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 2-4 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 3 points a day

30-34 points a day

Finally do you follow the 8 Great Health Guidelines?

For onlines here is how to get to them:

You may visit the Web site and read 8 Great Health Guidelines. After you log in, it can be found in the Select a Resource dropdown menu located in the Shortcuts toolbar on the left hand side of the page. Click on Weight Loss Topics of the Week in the My Plan section of the dropdown menu. On the next page you will see the View Topics Archive link in the box on the upper right side of the page. Click the link to be brought to the topics archive. 8 Great Health Guidelines is the first first link on the archive list.

For e-tools and meeting people it is page 34 in your Week 1 booklet:

1) Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day (in general 1 serving is 1/2 a cup except for 100% juices where it is 3/4 cup or leafy veggies where it is 1 cup).

2) Choose whole-grain foods such as brown rice, oats whenever possible.

3) Include 2 servings of dairy products...3 servings if you are a teen or over 50.

4) 2 tsp healthy oils (such as canola, olive, sunflower, safflower or flaxseed)

5) Ensure you get enough protein

6) limit sugar and alchol

7) drink at least 6 glasses of water (8 ounce glasses and 1/2 of those can be decaff, no alcohol beverages such as juice or milk)

8) take a multi-vitamin daily
Old 05-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

You are doing well so don't lose heart!

Weight loss is different for everyone as people have different metabolisms and lose at different rates. As someone else pointed out the other lady's loss is probably water.

One thing you might want to check is your salt intake as this can affect your weight loss. I.E. I weigh in on Mondays so I know that if I eat Chinese food (high in sodium) on Saturday I will be guaranteed to gain about 2lbs by Monday So I no longer indulge in Chinese on Saturday night but I can have it on Tuesday or Wednesday and not have it show up on weigh day

It may take a few weeks to figure out what works for and against you - again things are different for each person.

Stay with your plan - you can do it!
Old 05-03-2006, 03:59 PM   #8  
Starting fresh!

S/C/G: 281/226/184

Height: 6 feet

You are doing great! You should be proud of yourself. I know it's hard when you think you should be losing more. You definitely need to eat your Activity Points and use the majority of your flex points. It sounds crazy, but you have to eat to lose. Good job!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3

Sweetie, You are doing great! WW recommends losing I think .5-2 lb. a week. Honestly you are doing great! Keep up the work..keep writing things down. Unfortantely losing the weight takes a long time but you can do it!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #10  

Height: 5'3

BTW-You mentioned that the one woman lost 7 lbs. in her first week..a lot of people lose the most weight in their first week and then get to losing about .5-2 lb./week after that..I highly doubt that anyone has lost weight every single week. I had a week where I gained a little..It is disappointing but just keep on program. If you are still concerned with it look at the types of foods you are eating. I agree with what others have said..you should be eating your APs and at least some of your flexxies (I've never eaten ALL of my flex but I usually eat at least half or more of flex).
Old 05-03-2006, 09:29 PM   #11  

One thing that it might be is that your working out which is great by the way! Muscle weighs more than fat if your gaining muscle you won't show as much losses on the scale. How are your clothes fitting? Have you taken measurements? How do you feel? I think also your weight losses seem pretty good. So don't get discouraged.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #12  

It sounds to me like you are doing great kittyglitter. I know it seems like such a small amount for all the effort, but as morrigan points out it will add up before you know it. I know my first week I joined I only lost 1.6 lbs. Another women who joined the same time lost 5 lbs. As Kelly S pointed out I was already starting to drink lots of water before joining, so I had already lost that initial push you get from water weight.

Maybe you need to reevaluate what your weight loss expectations are and how quickly you can reach them? Setting unrealistic goals is one of the main reasons people give up. Lasting weight loss does take a long time. Part of being commited to weight loss this time around for me was realizing that there would be ups and downs. Since joining WW 15 weeks ago I have gained twice, stayed the same once, and had weeks were I only lost part of a pound. I am averaging about 1.5 pounds per week. I am pretty happy with that. Even if it takes me over a year to make my goal, it is worth it. Another year is coming, so I can either change and loose the weight, or still be overweight.

Please don't get discouraged kittyglitter.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #13  
banned

7-8 lbs a month is on target....always look at the months losses not week
Old 05-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #14  

Height: 5'8"

Don't get discouraged, you're doing great. Don't look at others for their results, look at your progress. Your numbers show you ARE doing the right thing, and you ARE moving in the right direction.

Stick with the plan, forget what others are doing, focus on you! You can do it!
Closed Thread