Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 11:25 AM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Countdown to 250....August 5 And beyond

WELCOME to all who choose to stop here. We are a fun group providing support, encouragement and motivation. We hope you will sit a spell, grab a bottle of water and chat awhile. We would love to get to know you.
Old 08-05-2001, 01:20 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! Sorry I wasn't here yesterday. I was seriously trying to get some stuff done around here. Didn't get too much done, just some groceries, bills paid, laundry, etc.

We were supposed to go out with friends last night and didn't so I asked DH (in this case, darn hubby ) if he wanted to go out somewhere anyway. Well he preferred to sit on his a-- in front of the TV until I got upset with him and he decided me being a b---- wasn't worth it so we did go to dinner. By the time we got to the show every darn parking spot in the place was taken. In front, on the side, even behind the theatre. So we barged in on the friends we were going to go out with and sat in their yard 1/2 the night! Amazing that you have to get all upset before hubbies get it!!! I'm just so sick of sitting in front of the TV. The only time we go out is when I have jobs. Now I know, that's a whole lot more than others go out, but heck, that's my job. I wish he would just take the initiative and suggest something fun once in awhile! Ok, I feel better now, I'm done complaining. Thanks for listening (or at least skimming the post til you got to here )

My food has been going GREAT this week. I am looking forward to WI tomorrow morning. I'm hoping for a decent loss for a change, something that will keep my motivation up. I have had some serious 'head' struggles this week. I think I'm finally over the Dairy Queen problem, but other problems have definitely been plaguing me. I have been strong in most cases and am conquering the little one by one!

Maggie: I tried to steal your pixie but it wouldn't let me change either. The page came up blank. Not sure what's going on, I had changed my avatar once before. Are you guys selling the farm and everything? Like never to return???

Terri: How was the Taco dinner??? What a good DIL you are having in-laws over for dinner! Are you done unpacking yet???

Bunny: The wine cooler and bath sounds delightful. I hope you 'washed' away that yucky day and have had a much better time since then. BTW, yes, I'm Geri.

J-ann: Sounds like you had a busy weekend planned. Did you remember the cooler???

lilacglitter: I bet the bike is alot of fun. I thought they say that's one thing you never forget how to do? Well, ok, WE say you remember 'it's just like riding a bike'. * How did the BBQ go? The no point soup is always great for evening things out after a big meal. * That must be really scarey about the car bombing being so close. It would freak me right out!

Ellie: 3.2 is wonderful! Congrats! Is the WW smoothie mix gritty at all? I've tried Alba and Slimfast and they both have a gritty taste to them.

Hey Cindy, Brenda, Barb Diane, Chatty, Melissa and the rest of you: Hope you are all doing ok. Check in soon.

Here's that Clam Chowder recipe:

Chunky Clam Chowder

2 cans chopped clams, drain and reserve juice
½ cup water
2 cups diced potatoes
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup diced onion
White pepper (black is ok, if you don’t have white and don’t mind the black flecks in your soup)
2 cups corn (I used to of the small cans of Freshlike whole kernal corn, you can use fresh or frozen)
2 cups skim milk
¾ cup evaporated fat free milk
1 tablespoon corn starch

Drain clams, reserve juice. Mix water, potatoes, celery, onion, pepper, ½ cup clam juice in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 7 minutes. Add corn, simmer 5 minutes. Add milk and ½ cup evaporated milk, simmer 5 minutes. Remove one cup of the soup and blend it smooth in a blender or food processor. Add it back in to the sauce pan. (Here’s the secret on how it seems so silky using skim milk; this thickens it up nicely.) Add clams. Mix ¼ cup evaporated milk and the cornstarch. Add it to the saucepan and stir constantly until thick.

Makes 8 cups. 3 WW points per cup.

NOTE: If you doubled the recipe, you would use the whole can of the evaporated milk instead of having half of it leftover. You could also omit the corn if you prefer. Then the soup would be 2 points

Well girls, I've got paperwork and laundry still backed up here, so I'm gone. You all have a great day!!!

"Life is full of ups and downs. The trick is to enjoy the ups and have courage during the downs."

Last edited by thinthinker; 08-05-2001 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2001, 07:23 PM   #3  

Hello! Today was much lovelier than yesterday -- and that's even with my tummy being a bit upset. We went walking for our usual couple hours this morning -- searching out merchandise at the flea market, thrifts, etc. It was hot and muggy (which I think contributed to the unwell feeling) but nice enough when a breeze would fly by. On program all day, yippee. We went to a local barbecue joint for dinner -- and I had a pork salad (fresh greens, veggies, and a 1/2 cup of unseasoned pork on top) which was surprisingly good when sprinkled with the hot barbecue sauce on the table.

Geri -- glad I got your name right -- I'm learning. My husband is a homebody and just hates going out. The only thing he resists harder than date night is an evening out with friends. I believe its been more than two years since we went out with another couple -- heck its been months since we had company over even. He's just more comfortable on his own. Our compromise is that I can make my own plans (as I do two or so times a week) that way I get my outta-the-house time and he gets to be a hermit. He does still get draggd (kicking and screaming sometimes) out from time to time -- but only when its socially required (like Thanksgiving at my folks or a good friend's birthday party).

Hope everyone had a great day!!
Old 08-05-2001, 09:13 PM   #4  
MAKING IT THIS TIME!!

Hi everyone:

GERI: No, the smoothies are just that, very smooth Today in our newspaper it had recipes for slim fast and how to make different flavors from their shakes , so I am going to try it with ours. One sounded good, cause I love cinnamon. You just give 2 shakes of cinnamon in your shake, one was with mango and I think the other one was with raspberries.. hmmmm. having a senior moment.. anyway, you can go to slimfast.com, then to their recipes and they have a whole bunch of them to try for different flavors, instead of just plain ole vanilla and chocolate. But they are good just plain also.

Isn't it funny how we look at things. I would just love to stay home all day on the weekend, and my husband wants to be on the run all the time. We get up, about 7 ot 8 and go to breakfast, and then go shopping and looking around the rest of the day... He loves the flea market and we have a huge one. I guess there has to be a happy medium some where... I do enjoy the breakfasts though, especially Bob Evans on Sunday morning.

Well, have to run.. it is storming outside and I already had to replace my modem one time cause it was hit by the lightening. It went through my telephone line. Soooooo, will talk to you all later, and everyone have a great week.. Ellie.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:18 PM   #5  
Thin Within

GOOD EVENING

I have had a good OP week and am hoping for a loss to show on those scales tomorrow. Even if it is just a couple of ounces I will be elated. I just had a horrible case of the hick-ups for the first time in YEARS. Then I remembered what I used for a "cure" in my younger days. Cowboy brought the bottle of vinegar and a spoon to me ~ I poured out a spoonful and the hick-ups stopped. You see - I never had to actaully swallow that stuff - just the thought of it makes me cringe and my diaphagram settles right down and the hick-ups vanish. If it works don't knock it.

GERI thanks for the Clamp Chowder recipe. No that isn't a type-o. I call it that because I once had a freind that dived deep sea and brought me a GIANT KILLER CLAM shell. If they "clamp" on you when you are down there you have a big problem surfacing. So clams have been called Clamps in my house for years. I know others have also been having trouble with the "change avatar" button and have notified the 3fc's about it. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. No ~ we don't have to sell this place ~ only the furniture we bought since moving in. It belongs to the church where Cowboy is the preacher. They furnish the place to live.

BUNNY Good going with that walking and food choices. We have ordered a book that lists all the fairs and craft fairs around the country. We plan on taking some of our things to sell while we are "out there." I got a kick out of your "at the foot of the Smokies" ~ I am IN the Smokies ~ smack dab in the middle of the mountains in a little valley.

ELLIE Smoothies are good. I make my own yogurt and use that and fruit and fruit juice and make some real good ones. If you want some recipes lots can be found in the WW Recipe section.

Have a good nights sleep ya'all and wake up refreshed.
Maggie keepin' cool in Tennessee

Last edited by Maggie; 08-05-2001 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:11 AM   #6  

Default new day new week

Well, Hi everyone!
I have had a good weekend - I have been out riding on my new bike - I cant believe I can still do it! I did not go far, but I can build up I suppose.
The barbecue was quite difficult to stay on the programme with, but that was saturday and sunday I was back on it with some good veggie soup and a prawn salad

I make smoothies with just fruit in the blender - I love them! I put in a pinch of cinnamon to make them more interesting sometimes.

The going out/staying in thing is so hard, I do sympathise with everyone. I think people have different natures and I know I have to work quite hard to understand and accept the 'other type'! I am a staying in type of person. I go out if I really have to, but find it very emotionally draining, whereas a week's silent retreat (which I occasionally do) is just my idea of heaven on earth!

Have a good day everyone
Old 08-06-2001, 09:21 AM   #7  

Today's just begun and I'm already tired. I think I've not been getting enough sleep (we were up past midnight last night and I was up by 6 this morning). Not sure why -- I just wake up and *poof* I can't sleep any more. Hubby and I watched Chinatown last night -- I'd never seen it. Seemed strange for an American film 'cause the ending was on a down note ... and we tend to prefer those upbeat endings here, or so current cinema seems to tell me. Well done though -- but dang, isn't Jack Nicholson the hunkiest?? Today we'll be shipping and preparing for our kids to take off for three weeks. They're visiting family in Florida and then California (they saved up all their trip expenses on their own doing odd jobs for family and friends). We'll miss them -- but not for a week or so 'cause it will be so strange and neat to be on our own.

Maggie -- We moved to North Carolina about a year and half ago after our online business began to pay the bills. We suddenly realized that instead of complaining that we didn't have time for (another) Smoky vacation, we should just move. So we did. We're near the northern NC entrance to the Smoky's park -- up by Cataloochee. We're hoping to hike all 800 miles in the park while I'm losin' m'weight. Its a beautiful place -- I can't believe it took us so long to get here.

Lilacglitter -- Way to go with the biking. My teenager is always askin' me to join her when she rides but I'm so clumsy that walking is a challenge so it seems like a bad idea. I think you can forget how to ride -- and I'm pretty sure I have. LOL!

Ellie -- I love smoothies! Why didn't I remember that before now? Sheesh. Now I have a new plan for some of the snacking/grazing I do all day. Thanks!! (Raspberries -- yum!!)
Old 08-06-2001, 03:15 PM   #8  

Arrrrgh! Ladies, that's the sound of me screaming because I lost a post with a lot of individual replies. I stupidly hit the back button in a spastic moment and lost everything. Grrrrrrrrrrrr Sorry that I don't have the fortitude to retype, and/or remember all that I said in the lost individualized posts. Saw the musical, Mama Mia (you know, the "ABBA musical") on Saturday. It was great! Afterwards, had a lovely dinner out at a nice restaurant. Ordered the seabass which was exquisite. That is something that I would probably not cook at home because I don't think that I could get a nice piece of seabass in the grocery store. Nice quality (farm-raised) salmon is plentiful, but not seabass. I sold a couple of things at the garage sale and made about $32! I was happy because it was only a handful of small stuff that was cluttering up my place. Congratulations to each one of you (bunny and ellie and everyone else) who have had wonderful weight losses in the past week. Lilacglitter, welcome to our little corner of the net. Glad to hear that you are safe and sound and were not injured in that horrific bomb blast last week. Geri, thanks for your kind support again on my aunt's situation. She was on extrordinary behavior at the doctor's office, but does not usually behave that way. Her regular MO is suspicious, impatient and combative. Still, we had a good evaluation day and I am grateful for every single one of the good days! it is miserably hot and humid in the presently windless, Windy City. Okay ladies, I hope that you are keeping cool and drinking plenty of cool liquids, wherever you are! Take care. Cindy (who continues to struggle with the food portion of program, but who is drinking plenty of water in the heat)
Old 08-06-2001, 05:08 PM   #9  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! I've got about 5 minutes before I need to go and get dinner together. I put a pork roast in the crock pot last night before bed so I decided to ask if mom wanted to join us for dinner, 'cuz there will certainly be more than enough. I think I'll try some oven baked fries that I found a recipe for and a big salad. I also have cantelope and watermelon planned.

Well, here's the WI report from this morning. I am down 5, yes I said 5 BIG pounds this week. You guys, you cannot believe how ecstatic I am!!! Here's my happy dance! WooHoo! This is one happy camper!!!

The neat thing is I didn't feel deprived of anything last week. I was never hungry. I had Chineese one day, we had pizza one day, we even went out Saturday for Italian. So, I will continue on this journey in real earnest now. This was the jumpstart that I needed to get me going again. Look out California, here I come!!!

Sorry, but I've gotta run. I'll try and get back later to answer all of you.

Climb high,
Climb far,
Your goal the sky
Your aim the star.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:13 PM   #10  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Hi (waving),
Well it was a decent weekend. Almost blew it on Sat. The local Mickey D's called out as I was driving by and instead of going for my usual unsweetened iced tea
the drive thru lady reached out and absoultely forced me (Yeah Sure, HaHa) to order a chocolate sundae, I did and I ate it. It wasn't all that great either. Had to go home. praying all the way that I had enough points left in my day to cover my slip. I DID! Phew ... I was lucky that time.

I'll have to be really careful the next few times I'm out in the car. I've always treated my car as a food source. Get in, start the car, put something in my mouth, then drive. It's an awful thing to admit but when you don't have to share a vehicle with anyone it becomes a place where you can eat and no one see's you.
I try to have a water bottle or low-fat snack with me now. Or satisfy the drive thru urge with iced tea. This is a tough one for me.

It's so hot I've convinced myself to find a water arobics course in the Syracuse area. That's tomorrow's project on my break. Call the Y, & Kelly Lynn's and get class times and prices. Wish me luck.

BUNNY: Enjoy the free time! I'll bet you miss having those kids around in less than a week <G>.

LILACGLITTER: Keep on pedaling. There's not much better for you than biking. I've got it on my agenda for next summer, when I'm a lot smaller and have more stamina.

MAGGIE: I know those scales will come thru for you tomorrow. I can feel it! GOOD LUCK!

TERI: Yes I did "Remember the cooler"!

Catch you all later,
Old 08-06-2001, 05:54 PM   #11  
MAKING IT THIS TIME!!

Hi again.

I wasn't going to write again today, but when I saw Geri's 5 pound lost I just had to say.. YA HOO... That is soooooo great!!. It really makes you want to try even harder and it wasn't that difficult to begin with.. I know we struggle every week with a point 2 here or a .4 there, but when you hit a whopper every once it a while , it is worth it..!!!!!

J-ann: I used to live in Geneva, Ny.. not too far from you. We moved here to Fla. about 30 years ago, but do get back up there every once in a while. My assistant I had is from Auburn, in fact she just moved back there in April. It's a very pretty area.

Bunny: glad I reminded you of the smoothies.. They are very filling and satisfy that craving sometimes. Will have to go to the WW site and get some more recipes for them like MAGGIE suggested... THANKS MAGGIE:

Well, will leave you gals again...I promise this time.. You all have great OP week... Ellie
Old 08-06-2001, 06:47 PM   #12  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

GERI: WOW ...What a great weigh-in!

My hat's off to you.
(And that's quite a compilment from me because it means I'm letting the deer flies get into my hair. They Bite ! <G>.)

That's the best way to be reminded that if we stay within our points we will succeed.

Congrat's,
Old 08-06-2001, 09:38 PM   #13  
Thin Within

GOOD EVENING

Let me get this out of the way first. My weigh in showed me up .8. Which really, really showed me that I still can't eat the points alloted to my body weight. I was one under the top range on average so banked 7 points total this week and it didn't make me go in the right direction. So you know what I am going to do and and that is my program. Yep that low/high one that I devised out of 25 points as the high range. Back to it! And no whining!

LILAC that is great! You go on that bicycle! Add a little more time each day and you will be going as far as you need to for your daily exercise.

BUNNY girl get yourself some more sleep! You live in a georgeous area for sure. I take my hat off to you for raising kids that raise their own way to travel. That is so neat that they are industrous.

CINDY don't you wish we could buy the same type of fish that the restaurants serve. Congratulations on that garage sale! I always call that type of sale you made "free" money for it was your clutter becoming someone elses treasure.

J-Ann every time you do something it becomes a bit easier the next to do it. That is a great decision for those water aerobics. Brenda sure has enjoyed hers. Hey BRENDA are you back from the beach yet?

GERI that is so good. So terrific. I am so happy for you! You go girl. The gif is for you!

Maggie being jazzed for Geri in Tennessee

Last edited by Maggie; 08-06-2001 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:01 PM   #14  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! Thanks all of you for the wonderful congratualtions. I still can't believe it myself. I promised I would be back to answer you all so here we go.

Bunny: I lived in NC for 2 years on a job transfer that my honey too. We were in Kernersville, a little town in the middle of Greensboro, High Point and Winston Salem. We really loved it there but when DH got laid off, he couldn't find work. How old are your kids? Sounds like they're gonna have a really great time - from coast to coast.

Ellie: I bought some SlimFast to have in the fridge for really on the go days but I had one and didn't like it and haven't touched them since. Maybe if I add some fruit and make it a smoothie I'll be able to swallow them.

Lilacglitter: See, you did remember how to ride. Sounds like the BBQ was a challenge, but you held your own and are back OP. Good for you!

Cindy: I loved your reference to the "windless Windy City". It's hotter than Haties here too. * Have you realized that Alzheimers patients are very good at 'faking it'? My dad was so 'good' when I was around that for awhile I thought my mom was going off the deep end making up stories about his behavior.

J-ann: It's been so darn hot here that I've put a small cooler in my van to put my water in while I'm making my stops. I also never leave home without an apple or two. * The water aerobics sounds like sooooo much fun. I love the water, just don't have the courage to put this butt and these thighs in a bathing suit!

Gonna hit the hay. You all have a good night.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:31 AM   #15  

Hiya Geri, was going to shut off the computer, but decided to check-in for a second. Congratulations on that fantastic 5 pound loss! You worked so hard for it--earned every single one of those pounds gone. Take a bow for yourself, Geri. You did a great job. Keep up the good work and stay cool!

Maggie, that .8 will be gone in no time. Your determination will burn it off soon. I love your committment to yourself and staying OP. You're an inspiration, as always!

J-ann, nice going on using the heat to motivate you into finding a water aerobics course. What a joy to exercise and cool off at the same time!

Ladies, have a good night. At least we can dream of cooler weather. Cindy
Closed Thread