Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 08:50 AM   #1  

Default What good fats do you eat?

I just joined WW last week, and I've been trying so hard at this!! I entered in the foods that I ate the past couple of days, and I realized that I'm not taking in enough calories from fat.

I know that this is one of the "rules" of WW, but I didn't pay much attention to it, since I assumed that I must be getting enough fat. Wow! Was I ever wrong!

So, what types of good fats do you eat? I'm thinking of picking up some cashews today. Yummy!!

Also, if I start taking a fish oil supplement, would that probably complete my fat needs?

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2005, 03:29 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

W/W program (while other programs do) does not consider nuts or the supplements as on e of your healthy oil requirements. Any one of the following (1 tsp = 1 requirement) will satisify the requirement:

olive
canola
safflower
sunflower
flaxseed
Old 07-03-2005, 04:22 PM   #3  

Wow! I had no idea! I just thought that any serving with a high amount of monounsaturated fat would do. Well, I'm glad that I haven't gotten groceries yet. By the looks of those 5 items, I'll have to start doing a whole lot more cooking than what I'm use to
Old 07-03-2005, 10:07 PM   #4  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I cook with olive oil, eat roasted/unsalted cashews and almonds, and I eat real butter in small quantities - I just can't deal with margarine.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:32 PM   #5  

I use olive oil to sautee veggies or chicken also
Old 07-06-2005, 02:04 AM   #6  

You can also add oils to various easy-to-prep foods (add flax oil to smoothies, olive or canola to pasta sauces, dip bread into olive oil & balsamic vinegar, salad dressings, add flax oil to peanut butter, etc.)
Old 07-06-2005, 11:49 AM   #7  
Eat well, Live well

I use olive oil in dishes that require sauteing and in pasta dishes, and I use safflower oil in baking or other things where I don't want the "olivy" taste. I actually find that safflower oil has a milder taste than canola oil.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Here is a tip for those who think the fat-free dressings taste too sweet or to 'squeeky' add 1 tsp of your good fats (like I listed above) to your serving of it and shake well. Really makes it much better.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:03 PM   #9  

I do my best not to add fat to my food, I will saute in a bit of olive oil, but
where I use it is in salad dressing. I can't find a no fat one that I can tolerate, but Kelly's idea is interesting...

I get my fats from a good low fat dressing (Ken's Northern Italian with basil and Romano) it's fantastic!!!
Julie
Old 07-06-2005, 02:40 PM   #10  
Cowboy Up Chick

Julie, While I do the same thing (get in a fat from a fat source like low fat dressings, butter, etc) we have to understand those are not a 'healthy' fat but I do have my health monitored by my doctor (cholesterol, etc) and that little but if 'bad' fat isn't killing me and all my labs are at the low end of normal.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:29 AM   #11  

I thought if the dressing was an olive oil type it would be considered a "good" fat, I'll have to double check my bottle..Thanks Kelly
Old 07-08-2005, 11:10 AM   #12  
Cowboy Up Chick

Most salad dressings are not made with olive oil but you are right if it is made with olive oil it would be.
Closed Thread