3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   Giving up on WW winning points........ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/5984-giving-up-ww-winning-points.html)

snowball 06-01-2001 11:24 PM

After Journaling , drinking all my water and moving this fanny winning points has beaten me to a pulp. I'am giving it up. Week 8 I had a total loss of 8#. Weeks 9 and 10 posted gains and have fallen back to a total loss of 5.2 pounds in 10 weeks. Very unaceptable to me. I know when I'm beat! I followed the program to a tee!
I will be making the change over to the 1999 1-2-3 success program and give it a try to see if I can do better. My doctor wants me to stay with WW as this weight is a HUGH ISSUE with him and my health. I have some of the information needed but if anyone can help me out I appreciate it. Right now I feel so lost and so alone. What am I doing wrong!?????? Have stayed with my meetings and weigh-ins for some support that I real need.
I can't say all was lost this past 10 weeks, as I have learn alot, and just need to more forward. With 90+ pounds to lose, quitting is not an option. My WW leader thinks the change could be good, although she would of like me to try a few more weeks to see what was happening.
I have many health issues that could be holding me back, but I will not use any of them as an excuse to keep me from Getting Healthier, Feeling better, and changing my lifestyle for the better.
I didn't gain this weight overnight so needless to say it won't disappear overnight. I've been heavy for years , but it now has cause my Blood pressure to be boardline high, my body aches all the time, headaches are a major problem. balance disorder, mood swings, hot flashes and now mild depression! With a rap sheet like that, I'm lucky to be walking.
I want so very much to find a program that work for me. Has anyone worked the 1 2 3 success program? Can you give me any tips?
It sould be on the same order as winning points. My leader doesn't have any of the information to any of the old programs, and everytime I bid on one on e-bay they cancel the auction.
I'm looking for help, PLEASE ANYONE?!?!?!?!?!?! I FEEL SO LOST!

AnnieV 06-02-2001 12:15 AM

Snowball,

First let me encourage you to not give up! I know how incredibly long the journey seems when you're looking 90+ pounds in the eye, wondering how you'll ever get there. This program really works, and as far as I'm concerned, either 123 success or winning points is just fine, since they're so similar.

Now, a little deeper. Are you using ALL of the tools available, i.e are you writing down EVERYTHING, drinking all of your water, and being careful about calculating points? These have been important steps for me personally in losing weight so far. Some months I lose more than others, and I have had a few really frustrating plateaus, but over the long haul I lose fairly consistantly.

Some people lose more slowly even when they are PERFECT at staying on program. I would encourage you to find the TURTLE thread and read their posts. They are a group of very insightful and thoughtful WW members who do not lose quickly, but seem to me to be successful at the mental game of a changed lifestyle.

Hang in there!

BTW, the basic difference with 123 and WP is that 123 lets you consider ALL fiber, whereas WP limits it to 4 grams. Carrots and onions are free on 123, and you add 2 points to your current WP food range.

AnnieV 06-02-2001 12:16 AM

Snowball,

First let me encourage you to not give up! I know how incredibly long the journey seems when you're looking 90+ pounds in the eye, wondering how you'll ever get there. This program really works, and as far as I'm concerned, either 123 success or winning points is just fine, since they're so similar.

Now, a little deeper. Are you using ALL of the tools available, i.e are you writing down EVERYTHING, drinking all of your water, and being careful about calculating points? These have been important steps for me personally in losing weight so far. Some months I lose more than others, and I have had a few really frustrating plateaus, but over the long haul I lose fairly consistantly.

Some people lose more slowly even when they are PERFECT at staying on program. I would encourage you to find the TURTLE thread and read their posts. They are a group of very insightful and thoughtful WW members who do not lose quickly, but seem to me to be successful at the mental game of a changed lifestyle.

Hang in there!

BTW, the basic difference with 123 and WP is that 123 lets you consider ALL fiber, whereas WP limits it to 4 grams. Carrots and onions are free on 123, and you add 2 points to your current WP food range.

Good luck!

Annie
290/205/150-ish

Itryharder 06-02-2001 08:04 AM

Snowball,
I think trying 123Success is a good idea. As Annie said, just give yourself 2 more points daily, don't limit the fiber to 4, and the activity points don't count right away. You can do this. What I have found is that the weight doesn't come off the way I would like it too. On the other hand I want a 30 pound a week loss! LOL
Think positive thoughts like, "I'm in this for the long haul. I am reshaping my eating habits and finding food I like to eat which will help me lose weight. I am getting healthier. Some weeks I won't lose weight, but I always will lose inches if I continue OP."
Good luck to you. Losing as much weight as we have to lose is very frustrating, but I know you can do it!
:cool:

234/?/thinner

Wildfire 06-02-2001 11:02 AM

I've been back to WW for 5 weeks now. According to weigh-in there, I've lost only 4.2 lbs, total. However, I am down a clothing size, and you don't get that from a 4.2lb loss! Just this week, I bought new t-shirts in a size L rather than XL. I think we tend to put too much emphasis on the "judgement day" weigh-in, and not our overall changes.

I attend an evening meeting, and there is sometimes up to 4-5 lbs in the difference from when I weigh in at home in the morning and when I check again at home before I go to my meeting. I've discussed it with my leader, and she said to just ignore what my weigh-in says, and stay OP. She said to think of the weigh-in as just their bookkeeping, and measure my loss in other ways. So, that's what I'm doing. It's more important to me to feel good and wear smaller sizes as I go, and ignore those numbers on the scale.

So, whether you do 123 or stay with Winning Points, keep going. Try not to emphasize the scale, and go by your clothes or measurements instead. I know it's hard when others at the meeting are saying they've lost X number of pounds that week and you've only lost around one, but remind yourself that you're much healthier already for being OP. Good luck!

Sis 06-02-2001 11:02 AM

Snowball,
I am so sorry you're having a hard time, but PLEASE don't give up! I know how long the road seems when you have that much to lose. I have lost 85 lbs so far and have another 50 to go! It has taken me 2.5 yrs to do this, but I wouldn't give up. I know this program works and that if you lose it slowly it is more likely to stay off than if you drop it fast. I also had the health issues. I had high blood pressure and was on BP meds and I was diabetic, all because of the weight I was carrying. Oh yea, I also had to use a sleep unit called C-PAP because of a sleep disorder called hypopnea caused from my being to heavy when I layed down. I now no longer take BP meds, my sugar it TOTALLY under control and I don't have to use that sleep thing. So the benefits are SO worth the time it takes. Sorry such a long post but it's important info. Just keep doing the things you are learning in WW and the weight WILL come off, you'll see. Take care and have a great week-end.....Sis :D

CIN 06-02-2001 01:06 PM

Snowball,
All of us at one time or another have felt beaten up..but in reading and re-reading.......your post.........WW didnt beat you up..YOU Beat you up! Please dont do that!You later went on to realize you have learned many good things.............

I hope you will not give up......because THEN you get nothing!

Many members who reach goal.....say they felt SO discouraged at first.but HUNG in there and it got better and better!

Remember Henry Ford said "Whether you think you can or think you can"t you're right! So CONTINUE and dont give up cause YOU CAN DO THIS!

Also look at EVERYTHING........sodium...hormonal cycles....many"silent culprits" including not eating ENOUGH! Dont try to be perfect.we cannot be.just keep making progress.............I can assure you YOU WILL GET THERE! So tie a BIG knot at the end of that"rope" and hang on~~!!! Blessings to you!

WWCIN

Anne G 06-02-2001 01:42 PM

Everybody loses weight differently. As a WW Receptionist, I have seen how many different patterns there are, and some people lose a lot at one time, then have gains, then lose another lot. When looking back over a 3 - 4 month period, they still will often average a 1# per week weight loss, which is great. It is frustrating for the person, especially at the beginning, but when looking back over the long term, it does work.

Anne

Lynn N 06-03-2001 01:00 AM

Dont give up!!!! Try the 123 if you want but stick with WW! I did 123 on my own a few years ago but without the meetings I didn't do too well. Now I am doing great! Going to the meetings and really committed. I too have 90ish pds to loose and let me tell you I am impatient too! I have lost 38 pds in the last 4 months and Im thrilled! I have lost inches as well and gone down 3 sizes. People are starting to tell me I look like a totally different person now. Great feeling! I found that with the exercise I was doing I HAD to eat all my pts or I didn't loose. So try to juggle around with your pts and see what happens. Just DONT GIVE UP cause it can be done!

Lynn

teach93 06-03-2001 07:13 AM

Everyone else has told you not to give up and I agree totally!!! A couple of things I wondered about: Are you on a lot of medications? If so, check with your dr. to see if any of them can contribute to weight gain. I take a couple for my kidney disease that have that as a side effect. I have to work a lot harder at losing weight, but it can be done.

The second thing was something my kidney dr. also told me. He said that the body is a master at keeping things the way they have been. Sometimes even though I have been OP I don't lose. Personally it takes my body a while to figure out that I am changing things.

The best thing I can relate to you is the story of a friend who is now UNDER goal. She still goes to WW every week and the leader uses her as an example when we get down. For 10 TEN weeks she either gained a 1/2 pound or stayed the same. She gritted her teeth, paid her money and weighed only to find that she had not lost after being on program. Then something in her body clicked and she lost steadily every single week until she was at, and now under goal.

I won't speak for you, but I know that at age 44 I have been heavy all my life. In the span of my heaviness, 8 weeks is just a drop in the bucket of time. Hang in there, come here a lot, and see what happens. If you decide then to make the switch back to 123, approach it with enthusiasm!!! YOU know you are eating healthier, drinking that water, etc. Give your body time to figure out that changes have been made.

Elaine

Ginaki 06-04-2001 09:20 AM

:wave: Dear Snowball - please don't give up. The programs work if you gave them a chance. It took me 19 months to lose 50 pounds. There were weeks on end where I either lost nothing or miniscule amounts. If you feel the 123 would work better for you with the extra two points and counting the fiber, then by all means do it - you have to do what's best for you - but the best of all would be for you to stay with the program, and don't give up.

spinksy 06-04-2001 05:12 PM

I think you should try another WW program.
I don't care for this Winning Points program either.
I much preferred the 1,2,3.
I am losing slowly on this program.

I am down 38 pounds in 17 weeks BUT..........
......I am down 3 complete sizes.
......I have relieved the pressure on my bad knee.
......I am feeling better about myself.
......I exercise 5x a week......and crave the exercise.
......My stomach has shrunk.
......My husband is eating better because I am.

There are so many more benefits than the scale.
We are so tied to the scale like it is the almighty.......

I hope you don't quit. Please think twice about it.

Jen-L 06-04-2001 05:59 PM

The number on the scale doesn't always mean you aren't losing, especially in the beginning. I am back on WW after having a baby and I have lost a whopping 17 pounds in 20 or so weeks. Wee ha! But I am gaining muscle... which weighs more. Maybe that is your case also. Not everyone loses quickly... honest, this is the truth. Don't give up, because after all you have lost something. I am glad you are staying with WW and I wish you luck. You are not alone in this slow battle. I beat my head every week wishing I could lose faster, but I don't and I just have to deal with it!! It may be slow, but it is coming off. And the slower it comes off the higher chance you have at keeping it off! I know everyone always says that, but really it is true.

Kelly_S 06-04-2001 06:06 PM

I've been following this thread...

And no where does she say that she is completely giving up?!?!?!?!!?!?
Quote:

Originally posted by snowball
...I will be making the change over to the 1999 1-2-3 success program and give it a try to see if I can do better....
and asked

Quote:

Originally posted by snowball
...Has anyone worked the 1 2 3 success program? Can you give me any tips?

Yes the older program is very similar to Winning Points. With Winning Points you cap the fiber at 4 grams (no matter what the actual amount is) and the point ranges were reduce by 2 on the high end (i.e., 150-175 on Winning Points it is 20-25 and on the older programs it is 20-27. On the older programs they wanted you to earn at least 2 points of activity before converting activity points for food points.

Snowball, You stated
Quote:

Week 8 I had a total loss of 8#. Weeks 9 and 10 posted gains and have fallen back to a total loss of 5.2 pounds in
10 weeks. Very unaceptable to me.
I averaged a loss of .46 pounds a week (some weeks were 3 or more pounds and other weeks it was just .1 pounds). The average loss OP is .5-2 pounds a week but alot of factors come into play such as 1) how many and how long ago you last tried a fad diet; 2) your metabolism; 3) any medications or medical conditions; 4) TOM; 5) how much processed foods you eat and the list can go on and on.

Also did you start an exercise program? If you did that can contribute to some gains especially at first. Your muscles will tend to hold on to some water when you first start a program (or even when you make a change - increase or decrease intensity or change the activity altogether) until they adjust. Also muscles are denser than fat. For example 1 pound of fat will be alot larger than 1 pound of muscle. Think of it this way fat is like feathers and muscle is like stone. While 1 pound is 1 pound is 1 pound (aka 16 ounces) there will be much more feathers than there will be stone. Take your measurements. This helps when you have those slight gains.

Here are some things I want you to look at and honestly answer (by not be honest you only hurt yourself):

1) Where in your points range are you eating? Most people find they lose better when eating mid-range to
high-range. Especially if you are exercising you need to eat toward the high end and not the low end. The reason is
because your body thinks it is starving and slows down your metabolism and holds on to the calories you intake.

2) What are you spending your points on? Review EATING BY THE NUBMERS (complex carbs 6-9 points,
protien 6-8 points, veggies/fruits 0-3 points, dairy 4-6 points, fats 2-3 points). If you follow the suggested
minimum amount of points spend on each food category it totals up to 18 points. I also find if I don't eat close to
the figures they have I don't lose as well. Also make sure you get in some REAL fat (butter, margarine, mayo, real
salad dressing, etc). I had subconsciously removed almost all fat from my diet and had plateaued for SIX (count
them 6) months. Make sure you get in some fat.

3) Are you drinking your water?

4) Are you eating alot of processed foods (canned, frozen, etc.) which contain alot of sodium which causes water
retention. What about diet sodas? They can cause bloating and water rentention.

5) Are you exercising? Have you taken your measurements to see if you are building muscle while losing?
Remember muscle weighs 2.2 times more than fat and takes up less space. If you are exercising remember to eat
high in your point range.

6) Are you journaling? This includes every BLT (bite, lick and taste). Those BLTs can add up in 'hidden' points.

7) Are you calculating points correctly? Ninety percent of new members don't count points correctly. I have a
favorite muffin and until last week (I've been on program for almost 2 years) I just realized my 3 point muffin is
really 6 points because it is 2 servings. Make sure you use the nutritional information rather than the 'generic' list
W/W puts out. You'll find alot of differences.

Once you have analyzed these things then you need to start playing with the program to adapt it to you and your
body. Like reducing the carbs and increasing the protien and stuff like that.

Kel

Dneees 10-29-2001 07:56 AM

Snowball - if I might make one more suggestion ? Have you ever done the old exchanges program from WWs ? Alot of people have originally lost their weight following that program. I know I did better on it and I'm switching back ! My leader even suggested it ! :) Just thought I'd throw that in. Good luck !!! :) Denise