Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 05:47 PM   #1  
MRSKMS

S/C/G: 205

Height: 5'4"

Default Coconut oil???? as a metabolism booster

Anybody have any information on this or other things that help boost your metabolism other than proper eating habits and exercize?

I went to the health food store today and this was what they suggested?
I have been taking a product that I got at a local Wal-mart that is supposed to be a thermogenic metabolism booster but really have no idea if it works or if it is just in my head?

Just curious about this as I don't usually have much faith in any of these products but would be interesting to know what other information is out there.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:45 AM   #2  

I have read a lot of positive things about coconut oil lately. However, I personally don't think there is enough information out there for me to feel comfortable using it in high amounts (it is extremely high in saturated fat, and although some claim that it is a "better" saturated fat than in other products, such as meat and dairy, I would still approach it cautiously). I think there is a recently published book out there called "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" that talks about how great coconut oil is for the metabolism; the authors, though (Sally Fallon & Mary Enig) are not people whose work I particularly trust to a great degree.

Coconut oil seems to be the "miracle" product of the moment...but how long that will last, who knows?

(Also, b/c of the fat content, it would be very difficult to work it into the WW plan in the amounts Enig and Fallon recommend).
Old 06-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #3  
MRSKMS

S/C/G: 205

Height: 5'4"

Yes I have to totally agree with you. I really think it is just one of those "fad" type quick fixes that we still seem to reach out for even when we know that we need to perform a lifestyle change and not a quick fix.

I am pretty sure the look on my face when this health food store clerk was talking to me was probably one of horror. I really thought at the time - You really have to quit smoking crack lady!!! LOL

Thanks for your input. These boards are a great place to voice our questions, concerns etc.
Closed Thread