Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #181  

Hi, sorry I've been missing, so much seems to be going on at the moment, in fact we just got back from collecting a little car from York (about 75 miles away) that DH bought off ebay (a bit impulsive maybe, but its a great little thing - and cheap!)

Sorry Jamies not listening, Linda, sometimes, we do just have to bang our heads against brick walls constantly, with no good return for it.

My WI on Weds night was ok. (well done Melanie by the way). I did gain 1#, but that put me exactly on goal weight, so not bad. Especially considering I haven't been particularly following any daily points allowance properly. I figure that at the mo, if I stick to the usual points most of the week, it allows me some extra points at the weekend, more than I used to, for a bit of indulgence. I've yet to see how this works for me, but the scales looked good this morning. I'll keep you posted.

Anyway, we are about to go to a neighbours house for a barbecue, nothing low fat there I'm sure, so wish me luck and I'll see how many sausages I can eat for only 5 points! (not many!)

Back later.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:29 AM   #182  

What kind of little car? I just NEED to know!
Also, Jamie and I had a HUGE fight on Friday evening and I got accused of not loving her "as she is", that was hard. If she only realized how much I do love her and that I want her to be the best she can be and have a healthy and long life. I think she thinks it's about her appearance. I went to bed very angry and didn't speak to her about it at all yesterday, nor did she, but I think we need a chat, perhaps later on today?
Yesterday, I kind of fell off the wagon again, but I'm going to journal it all and hope I figure out points and my walking and it works in with the week. We went on a college tour and we were treated to lunch on campus. I did almost an hour of walking and figure I earned a few flex points with that, but we had a buffet lunch and I was a bit out of control, even had pie for dessert. Well, my mini goal for the week was to journal, so I shall. I have more yard work to do later, weather permitting, and maybe will work off some of what I ate.
Plus we went to a Japanese steakhouse last night, a festive evening. Do you all know the kind of place I mean? They basically "perform" while they are cooking right in front of you and it's really fun. Actually, I think what I ate was fairly healthy, and that is not what I am worried about, it's the lunch! Oh well.
Hope the rest of you are being "good"!
Linda
Old 05-01-2005, 08:43 AM   #183  

Hi Linda, the car is a Renault Clio, not sure if you get them over there, but its a bit like a ford fiesta - I assume you get those! Although of course, I know from experience that we sometimes have the same things just with different names. Who came up with that idea is anyones guess. Sorry to hear about your fight. I think you are having a tough time all round at the moment aren't you, and it seems to me that with Jamie at the moment, you won't be able to win whatever you say, teens will always take the wrong side of the story and assume you are against them. How's Dad, by the way? I hope his treatment is starting well, and not too uncomfortable for him.

The barbecue last night was good. I was able to stay away from most of the food, had some salad, one hamburger ( a tiny one!) but far too much wine. For me anyway. I actually had 3 glasses of wine, but these days, as I now don't drink anywhere near as much as I used to, it gave me a bit of a 'tipsy' head. Well, I don't do it very often, I can tell you! I never did like spinning ceilings!

Ok, got to go, need to clean the new summerhouse windows. (its a kind of garden 'room', maybe a gazeebo that you can shut yourself into, made of wood, and probably will get full of spiders before long, but there you go!) See ya.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:45 PM   #184  

Hi everyone!

Dawny- Renault Clio is a great car!! One of my friends bought one (a used one) recently and he's really happy with it. I didn't know you could buy cars from e-bay, is it that safe? Good WI too, since you're on target it's fine. Good job on the barbecue too!!

Melanie- Good WI!! At least it's coming off!

Linda- I'm really sorry to hear about your fight with Jamie. Teenagers can be a pain a lot of times, I know, I was one a couple of years ago. There's probably no winning/losingin this case, and although things are rough between you two now, I think the best course of action it to talk through it. I think it's the best solution, talking always helps, as long as they're good intentions from both sides. Good job on the journalling, take care!

I'm not doing well this week, but it's easter here, so I've got excuses! Lots of meat, and lasagne and choc in the house, but it'll be all gone in a couple of days and I can start afresh. At least I managed to continue my daily exercise routine. Oh, btw, thanks Linda for the arms exercise suggestions, and Dawny, I do the ones you mentioned, hopefully my arms will show some difference soon!

That's all from me, I have loads of italian studying to do. Phew, this was meant to be a short post!

Ciao!!
Old 05-01-2005, 03:11 PM   #185  
mom5kidz

Hello everyone - I post one time and then *poof* I disappear - Don't know why tho, I'm still chugging along - I have my WI tomorrow - I have a feeling I will have a loss, just not sure how good of one.

I don't know the story behind Jamie and her "problems" but here is a (((((HUG)))))) to you, mom, and hope it gets better.

I know what a Renault is, my dad had one, YEARS ago, but they are hard to find in the U.S. anymore.

Have a great Sunday everyone
Old 05-01-2005, 09:26 PM   #186  
Mistyblue_68

S/C/G: 254/2/170

Hi ladies,
I'm new to the site and wonder if you don't mind another one to tag along. I've read some of the threads and see that you are all doing so great with the weight loss despite some difficult times. I'm just starting my journey again, I lost weight last year and then my boyfriend got home from a deployment and eventually i packed it all on and a few extra so i'm on ww again, i'm sticking to it pretty good and working out a lot too. My name is Dawn and I'm 36, divorced with two children. I am engaged and by profession, I am a Social Worker. Nice to meet you ladies.

Dawn
Old 05-02-2005, 03:20 AM   #187  

Hi Everyone!

I'm new too.

MistyBlue, my husband is in the Military and I find when he's away I tend to pack on pounds. Comfort foods and not wanting to cook contribute to that!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #188  

Well, Well.... a few newcomers - a nice treat today! Welcome and hope some of you stay around! We are a group who really tries to offer support and some of us (a-hem, not me right now) are doing fabulously. I'm kind of wallowing, but haven't given up.
Have had some tough times with my teenage daughter and my dad, who has bone cancer and DH is trying to start a business.... things causing lots of stress and I seem to keep trying to be on track, but seem to be unable to stick with it. The people here are so wonderful and understanding. No way will I give up, I will make this work.
Spanky, I really feel for you having a husband who is in the military and away. I hope we can help you during this time. Is he in.... dare I ask, Iraq? It would be great for him to come home from where ever he is to see a new skinnier you all smiles and sexy!!!!
Dawn, it must be so hard holding things together with kids and being a single mom. So glad you are now trying to take care of yourself, though, with all the health issues associated with being overweight, a single mom has to truly watch her weight and make sure she is there in the future to bring up her kids!
Kim, thanks for the supportive hug. My daughter was going to WW with me and did really well, losing 18 pounds. She's now gained back about all of it, sadly, and we found out she has hypoglycemia and we are trying to learn how to "feed" her with that, it's not helping her weight at all as she HAS to eat at certain times when she feels shaky, CRANKY, and dizzy. Boy, as the mom of this darling 14 year old teen, something that adds cranky is truly just the most fun thing you can imagine! She is playing up the guilt thing with me right now, so if I "remind" her she is overeating, I get the "you don't love me for who I am and you won't love me unless I am skinny" retort, which just isn't true. I am baffled as to why she is no longer trying and has adopted this "I don't care what I look like" attitude. I truly am wondering if it's a plot to drive me crazy? I'm going to try a different approach, if I can, by not saying anything to her about her intake of food and weight gain (it's so sad...) and just try as hard as I can to cheerfully set a good example, which I am afraid I am not being awfully successful at right now. I've got to get to work!
The Renault Clio sounds really cool! I asked my DH about them and he just thinks they are awesome and he compared them to a VW GTI, which we do have. I guess Renaults are no longer sold in the USA (according to him) due to a lack of a decent dealer network, which is a shame as they are really cool cars! Sounds like fun!
We have two British cars, Dawny, one is a Mini cooper, 1960 and a Lotus Super 7, 1958. We have a great time with them!
I have GREAT news for me today.... I can celebrate tonight, but NOT with food! I won my quilt guild challenge, a very big deal for a quilter like me. I submitted a quilt to be judged for the first time ever, and won! My guild has 290 members and the judge is nationally known, so I am "chuffed" today.... an NSV (Non scale victory for our newcomers) for sure! So, even if I don't have anything good to say about the scale, I'm having a really good day!
Linda
Old 05-02-2005, 03:43 PM   #189  
mom5kidz

I looked up that Renault that you got, OMG it is SOOOOO cute.

Linda, as for your daughter - it sounds to me like she is in a HUGE denial mode. I think you should just leave her be. I know it will hurt you, to see her feeding herself, but she is eating for comfort. She is hurting, inside, but doesn't know how to show it w/o being sappy, and at her age, sappy is NOT cool. (((((((((HUGS))))))))) maybe, when she goes back to the Dr. the Dr. will fuss at her. Sounds like she might need to go to some type of class, thru the hospital, perscribed by her Dr.

Well I did extremely well this past week. I lost 3.5lbs - I am VERY pleased.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:52 PM   #190  
Mistyblue_68

Hello Linda,
WEll thank you for the warm welcome. My fiance is a big support and when the kids dad isn't deployed, he does his share as well, but there is never time for me when i'm done taking care of everyone else. My trips to the Y are so helpfull, I feel so energized when I am done.
I actually put the pounds on when he got back from his 6 month cruise last fall, we started to go out eating a lot and making the foods he missed. I don't eat when he isn't home, lol. Sigh, love my Navy man though.
Sorry to hear about your daughters health, I can only imagine how stressfull it is. I'm starting to breathe easier again, Last summer my father had triple by pass and just when i thought i could relax, he was diagnosed with lymphoma over Thanksgiving, he is done with all his chemo and radiation, and doing better every day, I haven't seen him since last July and that is hard for me, hoping to head up home when school is out.
I treated myself yesterday to a Panera coffee, thinking it was no big deal and had a heart attack when i did the points for it, OMG!!! I'll be at the YMCA all night tonight, lol.
The BF has a new workout for me, rah??? He said i'll be hurting when i'm done. I'm doing great with the cardio, doing the cross training on the ellipticle for 35 min. I just don't have much intersest in the circuits, so I'm wondering what my torture will be this evening, thank God for hot tubs right???
Hope everyone had a fantastic Monday, everyday is a chance to take control.
Dawn
Old 05-03-2005, 05:21 AM   #191  

When you say the BF has a workout for you, what is that? I know lots of the regular e-mail stuff, but this is "new" to me, either that or I am so dense this morning - probably that!
Kim, Jamie has been referred to a nutritionist at the local hospiital for counselling, I am so grateful to have someone who can help. I hope she can do this on her own, as I sure don't seem to be helping.
I accomplished a mini goal this week, I journalled each day for the entire week. I still "blew it" with my food intake over the weekend, but I journalled it. This is probably the first time in about two months I journalled all the way through a week. I am proud of myself for this, even if I have another gain. I am slowly gaining back control... journalling for me is the key to it all.
Dawn, I can relate to having your guy home again and going out to eat a great deal to get back in touch with what he missed while away. Keep reminding yourself that YOU had a chance to eat whatever he was missing so that doesn't mean you need to eat yourself into a "hole" right along with him. I had a similar situation a few years ago.... we were transferred from NH to NY and while in NY, I would just crave all the local foods my native New England had to offer. My family owns a summer cottage on a lake up in the mountains of NH and each summer, I would come and spend about three weeks here with my family. It was a huge eating party festival every time I came back "home" and I just HAD to have all those foods that I knew I wouldn't be getting in NY.... the pounds came on, and on. Then, I'd go back to NY and have the foods that I missed while I was in NH.... an endless cycle! If I went back to NY next week, I'd feel it was my "duty" to make the rounds to all the favorite resteraunts, especially the great Italian places only NY can offer, yet here in NH it's all about fried seafood and chowder.
Why does it ALWAYS have to be about the food with me? The experience of enjoying the people in an area and seeing the sites should be enough for me, yet it seems to be an endless "journey" for me and I see every dining out experience as a celebration of sorts.
I have truly discovered that I am a social eater, much like a social drinker. Yes, I eat to placate myself when I am unhappy too, but I truly LOVE to dine out and entertain and be with others. I need to take note of these character traits and figure out how I can live the rest of my life and not allow these situations to RULE me. I'm totally not there yet.
I get weighted today and think I probably will have another gain... but again I am proud that I did journal all week!
Linda in NH
Old 05-03-2005, 06:54 AM   #192  
Mistyblue_68

Well the BF had we doing free weights last night verse the fitlinxx that I have been doing. He wants to me to concentrate on one group of muscles a night so last night it was my chest and abs. It was harder then i thought. Doing the machines makes it brainless but I had to really concentrate with the weights and then he was making me do push ups. I tried one of those fitness balls for the crunches and found it to work well, made my back feel better actually. I just hated being in a room where there were mostly men and the few women in there were barbie dolls with fake boobs. At least in the fitness room the people seem more real. I'm just self concious about my weight and don't want anyone watching me that doesn't have to see me. My arms are a little sore today, I'm not sure what tonights work out will entail, I think he wants the arms. We've been doing a lot of sets with little weight so hopefully I'll be seeing some better results.
As much as I complain about the workouts, I did thank him for doing this with me and researching how I might get some of this weight off and at the same time toning up. He's soo good to me!
Dawn
Old 05-03-2005, 12:56 PM   #193  

Okay, you can stop wondering. Iím still alive. Sorry Iíve dodged out for the past few days. I got a stomach bug Friday and just now feel ďnormal.Ē Iíve read the messages, but just didnít have the gumption to add my own post.

Not much going on here anyway. I was a lump on the sofa for most of the weekend. However, I must report that I LOVE our new Super-Walmart. Lots of new choices and I havenít even found them all yet. Like, I tried the No Pudge Strawberry Shortcake bars and ladies, let me tell yaÖ YUM, and for 2 pts., I think it is Heaven sent! I plan to check out a different selection each week until I try them all. No Pudge rocks!

Iíve still been trying to keep up with some exercise, even when not feeling great. I have come to learn that I really donít like Billy Blanks Tae Bo videos. I think the positions this man wants me to get into without a personal trainer are absolutely dangerous to my body. I didnít work out Friday or Sunday, but did manage to the rest of the week.

Linda Ė Sorry the teenage drama continues! I hope that the nutritionalist will help. Maybe she can explain better the needs of having a healthy bod as opposed to just looking for a hot bod. Maybe you could talk to the N about setting up a reward system for Jamie if she achieves certain goals. And, have you discussed with her the non-reward of not being able to drive if her hypo-gly. progresses? That hits near and dear to a teenagersí heart! It seems that she is grieving what is, instead of seeing it as a challenge that she can overcome. If she has a competitive streak, maybe try some games like, you pay her a buck if she catches you eating junk (showing youíre in it together and value health for yourself too!); a new CD if she exercises 8x in 2 weeks; or pay her another buck for each day she doesnít go off her dietary regime. Well, these are just a few ideas I thought I would throw at ya. Hope something helps soon!

Dawny Ė Congrats on the new car! I would be completely scared to get a car sight-unseen! Especially after almost being stranded miles away in the last one we almost bought! Glad you got a good one! Too bad about the 1#, but great news that you had the spare one waiting!

Kim, Misty, Dawn Ė Welcome to the board! Great to see ya!

Dawn Ė Sounds like you are really kickiní butt! Great workout reports! We happen to be on a very tight budget right now while we get some debt paid off. But, Iím hoping that by the fall I will be able to join the Y. I go on guest passes occasionally and really enjoy it. I get kinda tired of home videos, but itís the most convenient thing to fit into a busy day without gym equipment. I laugh whenever I hear someone mention the elliptical. I have tried, and tried, but I just cannot do that thing. Iím a fairly coordinated gal, but for some reason, I just can not make that thing work!

Well, gals, besides contemplating the Y, Iím also going to check out Karate classes! I did Tae Kwon Do for a few months in high school, but didnít stick with it because of graduation, prom, college, etc. I really enjoyed it and have told myself for years that when I dropped down to 180 or less (physically capable), I would check into classes. Well, itís past time, and the kickboxing videos have got me itching to join up. I would prefer Tae Kwon Do or Kung Fu, but the only thing offered in town right now is Karate (and the main instructor is kind of a jerk). So, Iím going to get times and fees this afternoon and will probably go to an introductory class soon. My B-day is a couple of weeks away, and this might be what I ask for, if itís reasonable, and in addition to the lava cake! Wish me luck! And good aim!
Old 05-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #194  

Hi guys. Well, so much to catch up with tonight, but I think I made it through all the posts, but I apologise if I don't reply to them all!

Welcome to all the newbies here. Dawn, Kim, spanky, you are all doing so well, and all under different circumstances. Dawn, I will have to make sure though that I don't mistake your messages for mine! (although of course, we will have different accents to make us more noticably different!)

Linda, I can't still get my head around Jamie's problem, or that she's taking alot of it out on you. I know teens can be a pain in the butt at times but I'm sure she'll come round. I like Melanie's ideas for the bit of competition, as sometimes just hard facts fail to hit home, a temptation works better. My DH was impressed with your cars btw.
Good work with the journalling for a whole week too. When you have been out of sorts for a while it can be a tough habit to get back into, but now you have done it for a whole week, you can feel proud, and a bit stronger too.

Melanie, I quite like the Tae bo video. I just have the one, and yeah, it does have some dodgy positions, but on mine, the explanations at the end of the video do teach you how to position properly. I feel like I've had a good workout at the end of it, AJ likes to help me too.

My week isn't going too badly in the food department, its TOM though now, and a bit of water retention to contend with, but hopefully nothing drastic for tomorrows WI. I'm going swimming with AJ tomorrow, all being well, that usually helps if I go on WI day. I bought some of the little yoghurt drinks the other day, that are supposed to have good bacteria in them, only .5pts each, and it says on them that they are supposed to have something in them to help with metabolising fat. It remains to be seen if they make the slightest bit of difference, but I'll try anything once! And they were buy one, get one free, so even if they don't work, they are a tasty bargain. I think I may prefer one of the 'no pudge' thingys Melanie mentioned though anyday!

Anyway, got to go for now, have a good day all. Take care.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:03 PM   #195  
Mistyblue_68

I am absolutly beat, the workout last night has me aching, lol. I guess that is a good thing though. I tripped up on the elliptical the first few tries but now i love it. I feel so great afterwards. I am seeing more and more men on it too. Well, we get our money's worth from the Y, we do our workouts, get 2 hours of daycare free a day and then we can take the kids to the pool and let them play.

Nice to meet all of you and thank you for the kind welcomes!
Closed Thread