Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 08:48 AM   #1  

I am getting discouraged and I need help. I have lost 15 pounds since January but the vast majority was lost on my own not with WW. I decided to go back to WW April 13 and I was 185 pounds (much higher than my home scale but anyway), the following week I lost 1.6 pounds, then the next I lost 3 pounds, and the next I gained .8 pounds. Well that just really threw me for a loop because I was definitely eating within my points just like the previous weeks. I really can't understand why I gained. Since then I've been on my home scale all the time. My home scale is a lot lower than the weight watchers' scale but I know what the difference is because I weigh myself at home after I leave WW so that I can know this. Anyway since last Saturday my weight on my home scale is either the same or slightly higher. My next weigh in is Saturday and I really feel like I'm going to have another gain. I have done really well this whole week by staying at the lower end of my points range (this is the only place I can lose, I can't eat higher and lose I already know this) but the weight is not yet showing on the scale. I'm ready to throw in the towel because I don't want to pay for another gain this week. What keeps all of you from giving up when the program doesn't work for you?
Old 05-10-2001, 12:02 PM   #2  

Default Starting to get discouraged

Hi Prettynpink, I hope you've read the threads in this forum for the last three days. Another person was also weighing them self at home all the time. I first would tell you if you work the program it will work for you. That means the three W's. WRITE down every bite that goes into your mouth, Drink your 6 - 8 glasses of WATER each day and WALK at least 20 minutes a day. Then I would tell you to get rid of your scales. Have some one hide them, put them in the attic, garage, cellar, trunk of your car, neighbors house or better yet the garbage.
The scales will drive you crazy, believe me I know. I don't have any at my house but one week end we baby sat the grandkids and every time I went to the bath room I stepped on their scales. They weren't accurate either.
With W W you should be losing the weight slowly. That is so it stays off and is not just a water loss. The W W plan is healthy eating habits for your life. It is not a race to drop the pounds and go back to the old habits. You are surpose to lose slowly so you find healthy nutritious menus to fit your life style for life.

In my opinion the biggest mistake you could make would be to not go to your W W meetings. Believe me you are not wasting your money if you follow the plan. It is important that you weigh and measure your food and try eating a variety of food products, not the same things all the time. Try different fruit and vegetables. Try eating more protein one week and the next try to up your fiber. Listen to others at your meeting to find out what works for them. Try different recipes. One day eat at the low end of your point range and the next day the middle and then the third day eat at the high end. Don't do the same thing all the time.

My first year with W W my average loss was 1 pound a week. The last 20 pounds came off at 1/2 pound per week. Everyone is different but the bottom line is the weight did come off. I am at goal and still working the program every single day to maintain. The older you get and the more times you lose and put it back on and lose again the harder it gets. Maybe your .8 gain was because of TOM, maybe you wore heavier clothes, shoes etc.

Go back to your next W W meeting and listen to those around you. If you have the time, attend more than one meeting a week for inspiration until you get back in the "I can do this" mode. You only have to pay one time at W W, the first time you go in a week and then the rest of the meetings during that week are free. Don't weigh, just enter and have a seat. Good Luck to you, You can do this.
Old 05-10-2001, 07:11 PM   #3  

prettynpink, you are doing very well to have lost 3.6 lbs in 3 weeks. My sister and I joined 5 weeks ago and have lost 6 & 7 lbs. So we're losing at almost the same rate as you. The one week I didn't lose weight was the week I didn't write down everything i ate and I also wasn't drinking all the water. Please don't give up.

Losing weight slowly on WW'ers is so much better than the quick weightloss I had with NutriSystem. A month after stopping NS I had gained everything back and more. Recently, my sisters said my body was really different after that weight gain (all soft and unhealthy looking).

I use to go on WW'ers in between kids and the weight gain is always gradual (due to 3 pregnancies). I haven't been able to stick to WW'ers the two times I joined since my last child (14 yrs) but I plan on sticking with it til I reach goal. I'm think this point system will be easier for me; plus I have my sister for support.

Good Luck at your next weigh-in.

Teresa
Old 05-10-2001, 09:48 PM   #4  

Default Just One Questin First.

Are you eating almost totally fat free? I have made this mistake in the past a couple of times and just recently did it again. I finally realized I was doing it again. I am one of those people who can go pretty much fat free, no margerine, no oil or mayo, etc... Mostly fat free products too. I have been going to ww for 5 wks and had only lost 3.2#'s with a gain of .2 last tuesday. Well it finally hit me that I was repeating a past mistake, last night I added some fat. I ate a whole can of green beans, a skinless chicken thigh 8 oz of boiled potatoes and 1T of light margarine, the margarine had 5g of fat (shedds spread light) and only 1 point for a tablespoon and I am not sure how much the thigh has but I know it has more than chicken breast. Anyway when I woke up I had lost 1.5#'s since the morning before. I don't know if it will continue but I have learned over the years that our bodies will go in to starvation mode if it doesn't get some fat in, even if we are eating alot of food. Anyway try it for a couple days, while stilling staying in your points and see how it goes.

Brenda
Old 05-11-2001, 09:55 AM   #5  

Thanks for all the input everyone. I will let you know how my weigh in goes tomorrow. And yes, I am definitely eating mostly fat free or light. I don't think I've had any full fat lately unless you count the fat that is in hamburger meat and other meats. Even that is lean.
Old 05-11-2001, 10:02 AM   #6  

Punky,
I just looked at my journal for the week that I lost 3 pounds and I definitely ate more real food (meaning nothing was fat free or even low fat) that week, I even had a slice of pizza one night, and spaghetti for 2 nights. I stayed within my points but I ate real food-only less. So now I have to figure out how to keep doing this without going overboard on the real food stuff.
Old 05-15-2001, 12:20 PM   #7  

I went to WW this weekend and the weigher told me I lost 3.4lbs. I was thrilled. At the end of the meeting I looked at my card and did the math myself and I lost 1.4 lbs. Needless to say I felt a big letdown. I did everything right this week so hearing 3.4 made a lot of sense to me but actually losing 1.4 made me glad that I lost but still kinda down.
Old 05-15-2001, 01:47 PM   #8  

Congratulations on losing! 1.4 is a great loss - and it's an ideal rate of loss so you will be able to maintain it. That's great. Why do you make a line graph and plot out your loss each week? That's what I do, and when I only loss a little, stay the same, or even gain, I can look at the big picture all at once and see how far I've come. It really helps me stay positive and focused.
Old 05-15-2001, 03:38 PM   #9  

Just so you don't feel alone - in the 10 weeks I've been going back to WW, they haven't calculated my loss correctly one time - and that's with them using a calculator! I ALWAYS go home and re-do it - I really don't see what's so hard about subtraction! One point four is great by the way - it seems to be many of the people I am talking to are losing right around 1 to 2 pounds a week - very few are losing more unless they have a lot of extra pounds -
Old 05-15-2001, 09:22 PM   #10  
That darlin' Texas gal!

Howdy all,

Prettynpink, you've heard from some of the pros here. From my own point of view, I've lost 5 boring pounds each month. But for 14 months! I'm due for my 70# star this week. If someone had told me that I'd ONLY lose 5# monthly, I probably wouldn't have joined.

What I have gotten for my money is a journey. A gradual lifestyle change that I hope to keep. A learning experience each time I fall off the wagon and have to climb back on(and that's been alot of times!) Hopefully, when I do reach goal (Christmas 2001?) it will be forever, if I've learned these lessons well.

Each meeting is worth the price for a different reason each week. Try to leave with something, even if it isn't a huge weight loss.

(btw, I'd change your home scale so it's a pound or two heavier than the WW one. Then the WW will be nice surprise instead of a downer.)

All the best on your journey!
Old 05-15-2001, 10:19 PM   #11  

<<What keeps all of you from giving up when the program doesn't work for you?>>

A lot of things. ..having about three closets full of clothes but having nothing to wear. For me right now, dressing without stressing is a big goal for me. I want to feel good about myself again. Excess weight costs a lot of time and frustration.

This is my third time on WW and I plan to become a lifetime member. I really believe that the time it takes you to lose is a matter of how much you have to learn to maintain a healthy lifestyle for a thinner you.

This advice has been helpful to me. Thanks ladies!
Also, glad to hear you lost 1.4 pounds --- don't get down on yourself, that's good! Just keep doing what you are doing and the weight will come off slowly and surely and take time to savor and keep all the things you will learn about yourself during this process. All that I learn is keeping me excited. I realize I'm changing, I'm exchanging bad habits for healthy habits, I'm becoming more active. I'm enjoying life more even though I am many pounds away from goal. But every week I set a goal.

Just today I realized the value of recording my whole day's eating in my journal --- I can do this because I plan my meals. If I vary from it, I only have to make an adustment. This has really kept me on track.

I'm also learning that I need to eat a lot of mini-meals more frequently through out the day. The time it takes to lose this isn't a burden, it's an opportunity for us to learn about ourselves and we learn more if we learn slowly not fast.

I wish you continued success.

Delia

Give in to the future, not the past.

Last edited by Delia; 05-15-2001 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2001, 11:22 AM   #12  

Thanks everyone. All your posts have really helped. And I'm going to set my scale on saturday with the Weight Watchers scale good point. Its going to be a little hard at first since my scale is so much lower than the weight watchers scale but I'm looking for accuracy here.
Closed Thread