Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 01:04 PM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - November 22, 2004

Hi Ladies,

Hope you all had a nice weekend. The weather here was very nice and continues to be today. I did OK eating wise. Went out to dinner on Friday night to a little Mexican place and had a veggie burrito which was very good. On Saturday I earned quite a few AP's working on some projects at one of Lauren's teachers house. Apparently the wife of the teacher has been away since both of her parent's are ill and he was trying to get a lot of little projects done prior to her return. Many students volunteered to help and when I dropped Lauren off I asked him if he needed more help I could lend a hand. Lauren and her friend painted the fence in the back yard and I did some organizing in the kitchen. Actually we had a nice time and felt pretty good when we finished. On Sunday we went to the movies. DH really wanted to see the Salma Hayek , Pierce Brosnan movie After the Sunset. It was OK but I would rather have seen Bridget Jones. Dh is in love with Salma so I had to indulge him.

Hope you all had a nice weekend. I'm so envious of the women who are 6' tall. I would kill to be at least 5' 6".

Lala DH and I usually get each other one large gift and one or two smaller ones. I think his big gift this year will be a rocking chair he was looking at and really liked.

Well back to work. Talk to you later........
Old 11-22-2004, 01:16 PM   #2  
si, si signora

Hi there,

In a foul mood today. Don't ask why, but it may have to do with the 6' person I live with who has opinions that don't necessarily match mine. Suffice it to say, I will be happy to get through the next few months. Life is tough with a grad.student.

I just reviewed my netflix and nothing that is coming today is anything I want to watch, so I'm bummed. They ship out so fast.

I'll be back....

lala
Old 11-22-2004, 01:25 PM   #3  

Pam: How nice of you to lend a hand! We also saw a movie on the weekend - Ray. I really liked it -- had had little or no idea about his life so it was a real eye-opener.

Otherwise, I was pretty busy with my families - my new match as well as my old one The new family is a handful. The oldest child (21 months) is blind but gets along amazingly well although she is somewhat withdrawn. The younger one (11 months) is extremely busy and demanding. Their mom is set to deliver Child #3 soon - her due date is toward the end of December but she predicts it will be much sooner. All in all, family life is hectic for them, to say the least!

I am starting over again today. The program I mean. The struggle continues but I'm determined because I can't stand the way I feel. I did get out for a good run yesterday morning with my sister. We did about 6 km - have to up the mileage slowly after having been off so much over the fall.

I am looking forward to an extended weekend. I have two "floaters" that I need to take before the end of March, and I've decided to take both at the start of next week. Combined with my regular Friday off, it will make a nice little stretch. I intend to finalize the Christmas shopping, get all of the gifts wrapped and the house decorated, although it somehow seems too early for that. Then I'm going to enjoy the holiday season!!

Hi to Melissa, lala and Lisa.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:28 PM   #4  

We must have been posting simultaneously lala. Sorry you're bummed. Make sure you get to the gym today to get it out of your system.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:57 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Good afternoon.

The weekend here was dismal in terms of weather--Saturday was kind of like London weather--a fine mist and cool. Can't complain though. I went to an afternoon tea on Saturday and then went on a "holiday house tour" that included 4 mansions (2 of which were B&B's). The homes were decorated for the holidays. My favorite was Spencer House B&B--beautiful staircase, lots of woodwork but not a place I'd want to dust, lol.

The eating front wasn't pretty--chips, cookies, etc. I need to get a grip before the holidays arrive. I do good most of the time but then I tend to stray off. The only saving grace is that I've been getting out for walks.

Lala: I hope your mood improves...exercise helps to straighten things out and generally it can help with your frame of mind. Sometimes I just need some "alone time" and then I'm fine.

Susan: Your new match sounds like she has quite a handful with her kids. My GF has a 4 & 2 year old and I don't know how she keeps up. I get tired just listening to what she does throughout the course of the day. Makes me thankful that my kids are older

Pam: Our weather wasn't great over the weekend but the forecast over the next 2 days is supposed to be nice with highs in the upper 50's which is kind of unusual for this time of year. Thursday is going to be a turning point with much colder temps and possibly some snow showers. I'm hoping it's not too bad so that I can get out for a walk at some point during the day.

I'm so glad it's a short week! My boss is taking Wednesday off so I'll be able to get caught up with some things and he's also taking Monday off so that'll extend our long weekend. I'm looking forward to the time off. I won't be one of the ones hitting the stores early Friday morning.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:29 PM   #6  
si, si signora

Hi ladies,

Thanks for your kind words. I just hate the fact that I take everything that DP frets about as personal. Its not me, its modern life that can get a very technically savvy person down.

Anyways, things are getting better.

Pam -- Lauren and her classmates are doing great work. Please tell us what the outcome is -- I'm sure Teach will be soo pleased and touched.

I wish DP would chose something that she wants. I can only guess so much.

Susan-- sounds like your match is working out. I cannot imagine taking care of two and having a small bowling ball incubating at the same time. Do you stay with your matched family for the duration of the pregnancy?

Melissa -- Eire, PA and Seattle could be twinned today. Its London misty here.

Had a moderate food day topped by the dreaded cheetos. Oh well. We're going to dinner tonight during one of those 25 restaurants for $25 buck deals. I did bike about 35 mins this am and doing step before we eat out. I hope that will make me less inclined to hit that bread basket.

Anyone taking the rest of the Thanksgiving week off?

lala
Old 11-23-2004, 08:37 AM   #7  

Good morning Another cloudy morning here but it's supposed to get sunny. We're getting spoiled by the "nice" weather. Forecasters are calling for snow on Thanksgiving, although it shouldn't amount to anything since it's been so warm. Last year we got dumped on!

I'll be here tomorrow and then I'm off until Monday. I'm looking forward to the break. I'll be busy Wednesday evening--I'm planning on making my pumpkin pies and getting as much of the prep work for T-day done ahead of time. We'll see if the plan falls into place.

I didn't do bad eating wise yesterday--actually stayed out of the kitchen later in the evening. I need to get back into a routine. I did get out for a walk yesterday so that's a good thing.

Lala: Glad things are going better. It's hard to not take things personally when someone is grumpy--I have a hard time with it depending on my mood. I got a chuckle regarding the cheetos--for me it's been tortilla chips. I think I'm going to have to be stronger about making sure I don't bring those type of foods into the house.

Hi to Pam, Susan, Lisa!
Old 11-23-2004, 08:40 AM   #8  

Height: 6'0"

Hi, it's been gorgeous here weather-wise. Today it will be 80 and sunny. Yesterday couldn't post as I was working on a proposal (so much fun). They also had a grazing room in our building which was very bad. I ate so many cookies and sweets. Today my skirt is not fitting as well as it usually does. I must get my act together (deep breath)--new day!

My mother is still in the hospital, but we are hopeful that she will be home for Thanksgiving. I'll be doing all of the cooking (usually her domain).

Haven't been to the movies in a long time. I was interested in "Ray;" I heard that it is good. I want to see "Polar Express;" it is getting excellent reviews.

I am done with my Christmas shopping! I can't believe it. That hasn't happened in years.

Susan, I'm glad you're still running; that has to help.

lala, sorry you had a bad day. Some people are difficult to buy for.

Melissa, that tea sounded wonderful and I love touring old homes, especially when they're decorated for the holidays.

Pam, please let us know what she thinks of the house when she returns. That was a good deed.

Chat later!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:03 AM   #9  

I had an OP, within points day yesterday!!!!! And the world didn't end, and I didn't die of starvation. Go figure.

Hope your Mom will be home with you for Thanksgiving Lisa. It's weird to hear you mention 80 degrees. The streets and sidewalks had black ice on them this morning but it's turning out to be a beautiful sunny day regardless.

lala: My volunteer program normally kicks in post-delivery. It's designed for families with newborns who need extra help for whatever reason. I started early with my current match because her kids are so young and they don't have family in the area. The administrators wanted to allow some time for the blind child to get used to me before the new baby comes and disrupts life as she knows it! BTW, I identify completely with your remark about DP's moods affecting you. This happens in our house all the time. Doesn't matter how much I remind myself that his mood has nothing to do with me, I can't seem to detach. Still working on it after 13 years...

Melissa: We have those home tours in this area too around Christmas. I've never gone but I hear the decorations are out of this world. I plan to decorate the house during the upcoming 5 days off. I normally do at the beginning of December, but it seems early this year for some reason.

What are your plans for Thanksgiving Pam?

DH and I agreed last night on one Christmas gift each - under $15. We've spent a lot of money this fall - on what I'm not sure - so this suits me just fine. And we have the Thailand trip coming up so that's more than enough.

Going out for a run tonight, followed by a blood test We were in to see the public health folks last week about recommended shots etc. for our trip and I've got a bit of follow-up to do.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:33 PM   #10  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Rain in the forecast for the next five days. This isn't a bad thing, but it coincides with my parent's visit and my dad's hatred of Seattle rain. Oh well, hopefully he'll spend the week visiting old friends and maybe visiting some bookstores.

Susan -- I have a gyno today followed by a manicure, or is the other way around? Hmm. I should check. Suffice it to say, I have used by insurance quite well this year. When are you going to Thailand? I can't imagine being a single mom with three kids and no support. You are a champ.

BTW, I just noticed your fish on you ticker. Very cute.

Pam -- what are your plans?

Lisa -- I'm crossing my fingers that mom gets out before Thanksgiving. Are you going to visit them? I could go for some 80 degree weather, but I'm not sure my bulbs would appreciate it.

Melissa -- I'm staying away from all orange food that is not a squash, yam, citrus or cheese these days. I need to go out and get Thanksgiving prep stuff for Thursday. I did this last week, I feel a bit like Groundhog's day.

Well, last night I didn't do so hot in the eating realm. I did my killer step class and then we went out for dinner. I had a nice salad with blue goat cheese, butternut squash risotto and dinosaur kale (not huge portions), part of a ginger creme brulee and a tiny little cardomon shortbread, a campari and soda and a glass of a very nice Willamette Valley PInot Noir. I was stuffed and DP was quite pleased with the restaurant (she had a tripe dish ..... mmmmmm (not)), so we'll definitely return. These restaurant week/month promos are great reasons to get out and eat.... Back to square one point five today. I just had my plain non fat yoghurt, one t of honey, some muesli and a bit of pumpkin pie spice..... The rest of the day will be better, right?

Hey, when I don't eat well, I eat well. What can I say?

Oops, better get ready for 10 am meeting.

later taters!

lala
Old 11-23-2004, 12:58 PM   #11  

Hi Ladies.

A sunny and warm (50's) day here today although we're suppose to have torrential down pours tomorrow. Had a pretty OP day yesterday and hoping for another today. I'm eating a 6 inch veggie delite Subway grinder for lunch that my assistant was kind enough to pick up for me. I will try and fight the urge to get a bag of chips out of the vending machine.

Lala I hope things are better today. I think no matter how long you live with someone it always takes a fair amount of work on both parts to peacifully co-exist. Most people take things personally and will either lash out at their partner or "internalize". I was an "internalizer" but have gotten better about discussing things with DH that bother me.
I got pretty lucky with the Christmas gift idea. He never says what he wants but a couple months ago he was out shopping with me when I picked up the baby shower gift for my assistant. While we were in the store, we saw this rocker/glider that he sat in and really liked. It would actually look pretty good in our newly remodeled bedroom so voila a gift idea for Christmas!!

Susan wow my heart goes out to the Mom expecting her third child. That is a tremendous amount of work..I know I could never handle it. My kids are 5 years apart and that was close enough for me. Three in diapers..Yikes!!
I have a cousin who has 2 sons one is almost 3 and the other will be one on New Years day. Both wear glasses and one is considered legally blind. I remember it was very difficult for the older one to learn to talk because his vision being so bad he really couldn't see, so he couldn't associate what people were telling him. Things are a little better now for them but they will have a difficult road ahead.

Lisa I'm glad your Moms recovery is coming along. Will anyone else be helping you with the cooking or are you on your own? I too would like to see Polar Express and Ray. Both look like they will be good. Maybe we'll go the day after Thanksgiving.

Melissa I was thinking about you this morning as I was driving to work and passed by a new Tea Room called the Pennsylvania House. I think I will give it a try soon. Good luck with all your Thanksgiving preparations.

Well tomorrow is my last day of work for the week. I will be going to my sisters house for Thanksgiving and am only responsible for dessert which will be a cheese cake platter that I am purchasing from a local bakery tomorrow. Hope you all have a nice day and I'll talk to you later.....
Old 11-24-2004, 08:12 AM   #12  

Height: 6'0"

I'm working a half day today and then DH and I will drive to St. Petersburg for Thanksgiving. My sister and I will be doing all of the cooking (she's never made a turkey, so that will be my job). I'm still hoping that my mother will be released from the hospital today.

DH is running a marathon here on Sunday. I'll be singing the National Anthem to kick it off.

I will not be posting till Monday as I'll be away. I want to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving. Susan, I know you already had yours, but have a happy day anyway.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:20 AM   #13  

Good morning. It's going to be a quiet day here in the office--most of the students have left for home and I think a lot of people are taking either the whole day or part of the day off to extend the holiday weekend. I figure I can get quite a bit done with no interruptions

Pam: We were supposed to have sun yesterday but never saw it--today's forecast is holding true with rain and like you, we're supposed to get some heavy downpours throughout the day.

Lala: It sounds like you're experiencing the same type of weather we are. They were calling for snow Friday but we'll see. DH has been kind enough to pick things up for me when he's been out so I'm pretty well set with the exception of a couple of things that I can get later tonight.

Susan: Thailand sounds interesting...when are you going?? Great going on having an OP day! I've been trying really hard to stay on track--it's so easy to go off and then difficult to pull the reigns back in. I know I need to keep things in check because the next few weeks are going to be busy.

Lisa: I hope your mom gets discharged in time for Thanksgiving. I talked with my girlfriend yesterday and she was telling me about how beautiful the weather was and how the kids were able to enjoy the pool. That's great! I'd like to see Polar Express and may fit it in over the holiday weekend. I'm just starting my shopping.

It's hard to believe tomorrow is Thanksgiving! This just starts the craziness of the season. Next week is going to be a whirlwind--dinner out on Monday, dinner on Thursday, Christmas party on Saturday, possible brunch on Sunday, another Christmas lunch on the 9th and then I leave for Chicago on the 10th for the weekend. I just need to keep my head straight and stay focused.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:03 PM   #14  
si, si signora

Hello ladies,

Its 55 degrees here today and all the leaves are off the trees. I told DP she could now use leaves for mulch. Its easier to rake into beds. Its windy though. I am hoping that we get early dismissal so that I can visit the local Nordstrom and get my pants hemmed before France in December. These I am wearing are fine out of the dryer and as the day goes on they start to sag. They are low cut boot legs and honestly, I am not ready for everyone to see my underwear, so a smaller size were found on ebay and purchased. Even with hemming and postage I saved about 20 bucks.

Its quiet around here too. I have many napkins to iron tonight,so I may take them to my parents and watch farenheit 911 and iron. I hope it doesn't depress me too much.

Lisa -- Crossing fingers for mom's release, a juicy turkey, a lovely anthem and a fast marathon for DH aka Marathon Man.

Melissa -- I want to see a movie in a theater. Maybe I'll go with the parents.

Pam -- I'm doing a pumpkin cheesecake. I am hoping my uncle's family takes the rest home.

Hi Susan -- hope you have a very good day and had a good run last night.

Okay, for the past few days I have be reflecting on how truly lucky I am. My parents and brother are healthy, I have a beautiful house, a solid relationship, a good job, good friends and lack for nothing. I have clean clothes to wear, food to eat and clean water to drink. We are the luckiest people alive.

lala
Old 11-24-2004, 01:26 PM   #15  

Hi Ladies,

I can't agree more with Lala, we truly should be thankful. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Closed Thread