Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 04:07 PM   #61  

I came to work today thinking that I was going to an attorney's office. But, I have come to the realization that it is an insane asylum and I may be the next admitted!!

The good news is that I was down 3# at my WI last night! Congrats to all the other losers too!

Melanie
230.5/223.5/150
Old 06-18-2004, 11:51 AM   #62  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hello ladies.

Things have calmed down a bit, so I have more time to post.

Dotti: My hubby is going away for a week in October to Nashville and a week in November to Hawaii. Oh sure, all the best places to go for conferences, huh? At least they are only week long trips. How were the desserts? Have you made them yet?

Linda: Sorry to hear you were up. .4 isn't bad, as I had gained 1.4 two weeks earlier. Just gotta know that there will be times when we don't do as well as we want to. I do the same thing with thinking, "Man, I could have done better had I not had that one thing." Well, this week ends that. I am lower today than Wednesday morning, so I plan on making a wonderful effort this weekend and coming in 5 pounds down next weigh in. Just a goal for me!

Dawn: Welcome and congrats on your loss. We are about in the same loss range. Hope you enjoy your vacation.

Michelle: Remember, any loss is great. Don't get too down on yourself! Just remember it takes time!

Melanie: Great job on your weigh in. That's great! I work for law enforcement, so we already know attorneys are crazy! heehee

Have a great weekend everyone! Stay OP and have great results for everyone weighing in between now and Monday.

Chach
Old 06-18-2004, 02:58 PM   #63  

Thanks for the welcome you guys, nothing much to report today, I'll be back in a week. yippee!!!

See ya, Dawn x
Old 06-18-2004, 05:02 PM   #64  

Hello everyone!
Thanks for the support regarding my gain. I think I've taken it all off again, and maybe some more by now. Hard to tell. I wanted to share an article I read with you all in this month's issue of Prevention. They were talking about people who are having a weight loss plateau and ways to deal with it.
They suggest if you normally walk that your body gets used to this amount of exercise and begins to maintain itself. So, what they think it best to do then is to add incline for short periods and bursts of speed as well, kind of a pulsing effect. I tried that kind of thing on my treadmill today and gave myself 5 more minutes than normal on there. Maybe that will help me?
Not sure if I'd call myself on a plateau, but I sure am having to chisel this weight off me!
Take crae everyone!
Linda
Old 06-21-2004, 12:37 PM   #65  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hello Ladies!

I had a pretty good weekend. I am only up 2 pounds from weighin. Pretty good considering on Mondays I'm usually up around 5 or 6.

Had a great weekend. Saw Shrek 2. What a crack up!

Here's to a great week!

Chach
Old 06-21-2004, 12:48 PM   #66  

Hello. It's Monday again. Gee, that's great...

I'm already thinking about next weekend. DH is going to hit the roof when I remind him that we have double booked ourselves and this weekend is going to be a fiasco. Oh, well. I may just leave him a note at lunch.

Last weekend was okay. We have had trouble with the upstairs air conditioner leaking and are just now getting the bedroom back together. It has been a mess. Yesterday was fun and we went fishing last night with DH's dad & nephews. That leads to tonight's fish dinner at his parents' house. I am making "Guilt Free Potato Salad" to go with it.

I did okay with the eating this weekend, but with so much going on, it was just not possible to get in structured exercise. But I think moving my bedroom furniture around to reinstall the rug counts. And that fishing pole got heavy after a while. I did end up using 6 flex points yesterday because we ate out at lunch. But, I intend to be back on track today.

Chachee - congrats on what seems like a good weekend. I'm dieing to see Shrek 2. From the looks of the check book, it will be on video before I get to see it.

Later,
Melanie
Old 06-22-2004, 06:31 AM   #67  

Good morning ladies!
Well, it's Tuesday and for me, ww weigh in day. I have my fingers crossed. My at home weigh in this morning was 153, showing a couple of pounds off from last week. But, I ate out twice this weekend, so who knows?
Saturday, though the actual date is tomorrow, was the day we chose to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. It was a lovely day and we got up early and went out to yard sales together, something we enjoy. Then, we went to my absolute favorite special occasion restaraunt and I pigged out, but I don't care as how many 20th wedding anniversaries does one have?
I've been working on a different technique of "pulsing" my treadmill time varying uphill and very fast walking with short cool down breaks at slower speeds in between. I might be imagining it, but I think it's really becoming much more effective. The scale dipped, in spite of my weekend indulgences. But, as we know, the weight I am today could actually be refletive of last week vs. this weekend? Whatever.....
I want to see Shrek 2 as well, sounds good to me. I love humor. For example, I have no interest in spending money on the Farenheight 911 movie, or whatever it's called. Enough troubles in the world today vs. paying money to sit there and rehash stuff from the past and look at someone else's politically slanted views on it. Just my humble opinion!
We saw the new Harry Potter movie two weekends ago and it was just amazing and excellent. I understand some of it was filmed in Scotland? I want to go there, the scenery was breathtaking!
So, today is "D-Day" for two reasons, I have my weigh in and my daughter has her long-awaited doctor's appointment to evaluate her weight and give her permission to attend ww meetings, or put her on some other special diet of her own. I hope and pray she is successful.
So, hope you all have a very successful day! Will check in later with a report.
Linda in NH
Old 06-22-2004, 08:35 AM   #68  

I went and saw "Super Size Me" this weekend-- the documentary on McDonalds/ obesity. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. A lot of what was said, I knew intuitively . . . and some of the facts about how damaging obesity is to your body were simply astounding.

I'm plugging away. Haven't been able to work out since last Thursday because I pulled a muscle in my back (PAIN!!!). It's getting better slowly, but considering just regular walking is painful, well . . . the treadmill will have to wait.

Hope everyone is having a good week thus far!
Old 06-22-2004, 09:25 AM   #69  

Linda - Congrats on your 20 year mark. DH and I just passed 3 months, so that is good to hear. I work for an attorney and divorce seems so overwhelming sometimes. It is good to hear of someone dedicated and making it to that 20 year mark! I agree about the 911 movie. It is obviously a bias movie that has been released in an attempt to sway the upcoming elections. My how technology changes campaigning! Let us know how things go with Jamie!

Heather - So sorry to hear about your back. I understand the pain! I hope you have a speedy recovery. I haven't been exercising much this week unless cleaning house counts! I'm planning a walk tonight in the church gym while DH has band practice.

I really don't expect great results at the WI tomorrow night. I'm at the 224 mark, but I was still losing with the 28 points, so I didn't go down to the 26. I think next week I will definately need to for better results.

Well, I had better start being productive. Have a great day!

Melanie
Old 06-22-2004, 12:11 PM   #70  

Default Tuesday

Hi Gang,

Good going to all of you who had a loss this week. I am still holding. Father's Day was a good day at our sons. He made a few beer can chickens and slow cooked ribs. My daughter-in-law made grill roasted corn on the cob with herbs and several other side dishes. Food was terrific. They asked me to make a lemony white chocolate cheesecake. Boy was that good! So glad nothing was left over.

Trying real hard to stay focused this week. So far so good.

Heather I didn't see that special on McDonalds but would like to. I don't go there anymore since we do not have little ones around. Take care of that back. Hope it is much better soon. How is hubby doing since surgery.

Linda, Congratulations of your 20 year anniversary. That is fantastic. You deserved to pig out. That will be the only 20th one you will have. We're going on 41 years in September. I can't believe it. How come my mind is still that 24 year old bride but the mirror doesn't comply. I'll be thinking of Jamie. Keep us posted.

Chach as great as you have done all along I wouldn't even think of those 2 lbs. You will have them off before you know it. Hawaii, too bad you couldn't go also. When my husband worked he was sent all over the United States and to Puerto Rico, Virgin Island, and I stayed home. How unfair is that? But I really didn't mind. I got to do my girl stuff without anyone hovering.

Melanie sorry about the air conditioner leaking. Is everything all back to normal. What is your guilt free potato salad.

Hi to everyone else who I have missed. See you all soon.

Last edited by dav310; 06-22-2004 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:24 PM   #71  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hello Ladies!

Stress getting to me. Trying to find a good way to relieve it and it appears exercise is my remedy. Just dealing with a lot of house issues, finalizing the landscaping, etc. Just a lot of stress. Oh, the joys of new construction!

Melanie: Did you break the news to DH yet about weekend plans? Just wondering...My checkbook is a little low, but get paid on Friday, and we as a family are volunteering at the Air Show up here on Saturday. Free parking and free admission. Plus, we'll be working the Kid's Tent, so it should be fun!

Linda: Okay, first of all good luck on weigh in. Second, good luck on the doctor visit and we will all be anxiously awaiting your report on that. I totally agree with you on the 9/11 movie. I can't stand that man and think he just needs to give it a break. He really pissed me off last year at the Oscars. We have too many Americans deployed fighting a war that we may not all agree with, but dang it, lets support our fellow Americans. My hubby is military and I never knew how it affected families until I married into it. I think these people that have all these big opinions need to serve in the military for a few years and see what it's like. Then go ahead and get carried away, but until then, shut up. (Oops, a bit of a rant, but can't help it sometimes.)

Heather: Oh, you must be in so much pain! I hope you feel better soon! I want to see that movie so badly! I need to see if it's even coming up here!

Dotti: Glad you are maintaining and not gaining. It seems like you have had a lot of gatherings, so that is good to maintain! Still loving the new treadmill, I am guessing?? Probably so, considering how warm it's been lately!

Okay, I go tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be down 1 or 2. Probably not the 5 I was hoping/wishing/dreaming/fantasizing about!!

Chach
Old 06-22-2004, 04:22 PM   #72  

Today has been 78 hours already!!! And I would never exagerate! The clock refuses to move!

Dotti: I don't remember where I got the recipe, but here's my potato salad. DH loves it.

2/3 Cup Kraft Fat-Free Mayonnaise (I use light and adjust pts)
3 Tablespoons Skim Milk
1/4 Cup Hormel Bacon Bits
1 teaspoon Dried Parsley Flakes
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
18 oz. Peeled and Chopped Cooked Potatoes (weigh after cooking)
3/4 Cup Finely Chopped Celery
1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
2 Hard Boiled Eggs, chopped
1 teaspoon Prepared Mustard
Salt to Taste

General directions: Mix it all up. Refrigerating overnight will seal all the flavors, but I serve it warm just after I cook it too. Good alternative to chips with lunch sandwich.
Serves: 7 (1/2 Cup Each) Points: 2
Calories: 114 Fat: 2 Fiber: 2

Chach: DH took the news okay. After a few hours past. So, we will go to stay with his friends Friday night and be back here Saturday night so we can teach the Sunday School class we promised to cover. I will really have a challenge with the eating. I have a very good idea that his friend is not health conscious.

I read that your DH will be in Nashville soon. That's about an 1 1/2 hours away from my home. I hope he has time to see some sights. It's a very interesting little town.

Tonight I think I am going to make about 3 different meals so I won't have to cook for the rest of the week! Wish me luck and pray for my dishwasher!

Later,
Melanie
Old 06-23-2004, 08:14 AM   #73  

Smile Wednesday am update

Good morning everyone!
Well, my weigh in was a success! Thank goodness! I dropped 1.4 this week. As I had gained .4 last week, this was pretty welcome news!
So, here is my "report"
Challenge starting weight: 162.4
9 weeks into this: 154.4, down 8 pounds!
Goal weight, ultimately: 136
I can do this!!!!! I had wanted to be down 10 pounds by today, but I think 8 is great just the same! I'm feeling good and looking so much better!
Other than my weekend "indiscretions", I did well with exercise, journalling and water. I have discovered those fruit chewy candies that ww sells, they are really tasty and are like hard gummy worms or something like that. A few of those with a glass of water makes me feel as if I'm "having something"! Try them, if you haven't already. I love them!
Now, another good report. I took Jamie to our doctor's office yesterday and they gave her written permission and a temporary goal for her attendance at WW. She weighed in at something like 161.2 pounds (can't remember exactly) and she's 5' 1 3/4' tall. She's 13, and ultimately they would like her to drop 25 pounds, at least, but for now a goal of 15 pounds was set so that she didn't feel it would be overwhelming.
I liked the way that the visit was handled, and the visit was with a female nurse practitioner who has a background in nutrition. Jamie wasn't made to feel badly about her predicament, it was met with great empathy and understanding. A comment was made that "so many kids are in your shoes and you are lucky that you want to try and have a mother than will bring you and help, etc". She said, if we want to see a nutritionist, in the future, she'd refer us as well. I said let's try ww for now and see how it goes, though, as I think attending those meetings is much like seeing a nutritionist and the group support is wonderful.
She gave us much printed matter to read through about healthy snacks for teens, the need for calcium and an entire page on the "evils of soda pop" for Jamie to read.
The funny part about all of this was that I ended up going to two ww meetings yesterday. I went to my 9:30 am meeting, for myself. Then, as Jamie was really "upbeat" and had permission, I took her to a 5:30 pm meeting as well. She did well and even spoke out. Considering that she is very shy, normally, I was proud of her. When they asked what goals people had for the week in terms of furthering their weight loss journey, people were raising their hands and indicating their personal goals. Jamie finally raised her hand and softly said that she was going to exercise and admitted that she gets up in the am and moves from the bed to the sofa and parks herself in front of the tv and eats throughout the day. I was proud of her and she actually went on my treadmill after dinner last night.
I am hoping she really takes charge of her eating for herself and journals. I have to help her by making sure the right foods are available, but she needs to be in control.
Also, there was another very heavy girl there at the meeting last night, much heavier than Jamie, with her own mom. She shared with Jamie that there is some dancing video game that she can get with a foot pad vs. a hand controller. It plays music and one dances to make the game work. This girl says that the kitchen cabinets are calling to her all the time and when she over indulges, she goes and plays that video game. We must look into this and see if we can find it for Jamie, if it's not too expensive! Yesterday was pretty expensive between paying for the doctor's visit and paying for her registration and both my ww meeting and hers. Considering we ate out at an expensive place over the weekend, my budget feels really tight? Any low point CHEAP but good meal ideas?
So, it was a positive, but busy and tiring day for us!
Heather, is "Super Size Me" playing in theaters? I might want to go.
Dotti, what is beer can chicken? Never heard of it. Sounds like it might be a bit high in points, but I have to know 'cause the name sounds fun and interesting. I totally agree that inside I am the young bride and look in the mirror today, on the actual day of my 20th anniversary, and wonder who that is? I was 124 pounds on the day I was married and here is this OTHER 154.4 pound person looking back at me! 30.4 pounds more! Well, 20 years have gone by and 2 kids, but I should be in better shape than this. I'm working on it, though!!!!! We all are and seems like we are all doing a great job!
Chach, sorry about your stress. Hope it all calms down a bit for you. You are a very busy person, it seems.
I totally agree with and appreciate your remarks concerning the military. I want our country to stop "whining" and pull together, seems like all I hear are criticisms of late and I would love to hear positive REAL suggestions on how we can improve things and get our country and the world working better towards peace. But, until someone can come up with something BETTER, I don't see that they ought to be highly criticizing anything. Oh well.
The potato salad recipe sounds good, maybe I'll give it a shot. I had some made by a woman one time, that was truly wonderful, made with plain yogurt and a little mayo that I've been trying to duplicate for years and still have not been able to do so. I have lost touch with the woman and am hoping to, one day, have this recipe. Though, maybe it's her own creation and no real recipe existed?
Oh well.
Have a great day everyone! Keep up the good work!
Linda, off for breakfast and a good workout!
Old 06-23-2004, 09:03 AM   #74  

Default Wednesday

Chach new construction can really stress you out. We had a new kitchen put in last year and the entire inside of the house painted and new carpeting and it was a mess here for months. Nothing like what you are going through but when things don't go right they seem to be so overwhelming. But when everything is completed it is so nice to sit back and love it. To be honest with you, and everyone else, I haven't been on my treadmill as often as I should. I have to get in the groove again. It is so easy to let everything slip away. I also have no intention of seeing that movie. I think it is wrong and has come out just in time for the election. Could possibly sway people one way or the other. Whether you agree with our President or not or any other President and their advisors, we must always support our military. Especially today when our military is all volunteer so to speak. No one is drafted and must serve. My love, support and prayers are always with our wonderful men and women of our military.

Melanie thanks for the potato salad recipe. I will give it a try soon. I often made several meals at once when I worked. It was so nice to come home and dinner just had to be heated.

Linda good for you on the loss. 8 lbs in 9 weeks is very good. I am so glad Jamie wanted to go to the meeting and even participated. I am pulling for her. The beer can chicken is just taking a can of beer and pouring about 1/4 of it out and putting the can into the chickens cavity, not all the way just enough so the chicken can sit on top of it, and put it on the grill after you season it. Don't put it directly over the coals on the grill but have the coals or the flames on either side of the chicken and put the chicken in the middle where there are no coals or flames and close the grill. Cook as you would in the oven. You don't get a beer taste but it seems to keep the chicken moist. It was very good. I have seen many of the chefs on Food Network and PBS shows do this.

Well I have got to run. Off to do a billion errands today. See you all later.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:30 PM   #75  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hello Ladies!

What a great day I'm having so far. My hubby's stress has gone away and has decided, after much pushing by me, that the anger and vengefullness he is feeling towards the builder should be turned into something positive. We've decided to let the oustide be and the city will handle it. We are going to focus our energy on the inside of the house and getting that all done, buying artwork, building our new entertainment center, buying little nicknacks, etc.

We had a wonderful night last night and went to the city fair. We spent 4 hours there with out son and friends. (Dropped a lot of money, but oh well.) We decided to go, because my surgery is coming up around the time of the state fair up here and we probably won't be able to go to that. My son has NO FEAR! He was having a blast on the rides and wanted to go faster. He's only 38 inches (pretty big for a 2 year old) so he couldn't ride all the ones he wanted, but he had fun on the ones he could. We played a few games and then went home around 10:00 pm. Good news was that I only had a Diet Coke and two french fries there. That is a big accomplishment, as I usually enjoy cotton candy and funnel cakes and elephant ears. I knew I had to weigh today, so I was practical about it all.

Dotti: Okay, get back on the treadmill. I never realized how much stress a house could be. I've seen major renovations and never understood how someone could live in their house while that is going on! Big respect going out to you. I'd probably be down at the Hilton until it was done.

Linda: Oh, I am so excited for not only your loss, but the great visit Jamie had at the doc's. And how very wonderful there was a girl in a similar boat there with her at her meeting? You guys are definitely in my prayers and I'm so excited for her. She's going to look so good when she goes back to school in the Fall!

Melanie: My hubby is from North Carolina, so he knows the Nashville area well. Wish we could go with him, but too much going on and work is so busy for me right now. Plus, that will be not too long after my surgery, so I don't want to use too much leave time in case something happens with complications. I hate being the logical one!

Alright ladies, my WI is tonight. I weighed at home this morning, and was down to 216. I am usually about 5 pounds heavier by the time I get to the meeting at night, with the variance in the scales, etc, so I doubt I'll lose the 5 pound fantasy I had, but I should be down at least 2. yay!

Have a great day!

Chach
Closed Thread