Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 07:43 AM   #136  

Default An update

DH is out of surgery, and by the end of last night, was returning to his old self (a bit groggier than normal, but appearing more comfortable, joking around, etc.). That's WONDERFUL. :-) They ended up taking off 11.5 lbs of skin and fat. Thankfully, he had no herniation in his abdominal muscles, and the Dr. said they looked tight, so no stitching was needed there. The Dr. said that should improve his recovery time. He has drains in place, that will be there for the next 5 days to two weeks, but they're no big deal. I'm just so . . . relieved. And grateful. And hopeful his recovery will be uneventful, and that he is happy with the results, and that he no longer has as much back pain following the removal.

I actually did pretty well on my food choices, once I sat down and analyzed it. I admit, I didn't count points . . . but considering that everything I purchased from the nasty cafeteria, I was only able to eat a few bites (everything disagreed with me yesterday!), I didn't go over points at all. Didn't do quite so well on the water (coffee, coffee, coffee!!!), but that will improve today.

Today is another day at the hospital. I plan on parking at the mall that is 1/3 mile away, and using that as a form of exercise. I'll have to walk there and back at least twice (once to get the car; once to get lunch at the mall, as I'm not attempting hospital food again)-- and I will take the stairs up and down to DH's third-floor room. I did that once yesterday, and was actually embarrassed by how out-of-breath I was.

And tonight, as long as the Dr. thinks everything is going well, DH will be coming home! Hurrah! :-)

Well, I'm off. Take care, all, and have a good day!!!
Old 04-23-2004, 08:42 AM   #137  

Goodmorning everyone:

We are finally having some sunshine up here in the frozen north. Actually, the grass is green and the daffodils are blooming and it makes me feel a little more motivated than the rain we had been having. (I live in Canada - just about 1-1/2 hours north and east of Toronto, Ontario).

I am still having problems with snacking between supper and bed. Today is grocery day and I am determined to find some 2 pt. things that will satisfy whatever my craving of the day is (salt, sugar, whatever). The rest of the day I am doing really quite OK and so I am maintaining - but I need to LOSE.

Heather - I am so glad that you DH is doing well. Makes us aprreciate them a little more when you are waiting for them to come back from the OR

Chachee - you gave me an idea - I think I'll finish knitting my grandson's sweater. I started it a while ago and put it down because he is only 2 and I think the one I am making would fit a 5 year old. I might even break down and buy some new yarn and do something more size appropriate. We have two grandchildren - a 2 year old boy (Cooper) and a six month old girl (Sophie). I just love spending time with them,

Sassy - I too have the scale obsession - I wish I had your will power. I always do my weight right after my shower, au naturel, and try to envision what the next day would be like if it were even .5 lower.

I am at work so I had better try to accomplish something - even if it is Friday

Have a great day

Nancy
Old 04-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #138  

Dotti - your commitment is so inspiring - to be focused on losing weight and trying to exercise with such bad arthritis - I'm very impressed. I hope if you do have to do the hip replacement that it goes easily for you. At least losing weight has to help with the pain, right?

Linda - I'm trying really hard to cook more this go around instead of using the frozen meals - first because I want to really change habits and you know one of my 10 reasons has me beind a cook with a large repetoire of healthy recipes. I try to cook one or two meals on the weekend that I can break up into several servings and have them handy to throw into the microwave when I get home. Saves me the time like a frozen would. But it's always a good idea for me to keep a frozen meal or two handy for those mornings I just don't want to make my lunch or those evenings when I just want something really fast and don't have something prepared.

I have today off work (I get every other Friday off) and I'm looking through recipes and planning my grocery shopping. I'm also going to clean out my pantry which has all sorts of things I've bought in the past when I was in the "I'm going to cook" mode. I need to see how much is past its expiration date!!

We have snow today (it's Colorado's version of April showers!) and thank goodness since we're in a terrible drought, but after my pantry clean out, I think I'll sit and stitch the afternoon away. Since I was able to work out first thing instead of when I'm beat after work. I'm glad the challenge is 5 out of 7 because last night I laid down for a nap at 4 pm planning to work out after - I woke up this morning at 6!! 14 hours!!! At least I wasn't eating!!

I feel for you scale-addicts! That's one habit I don't have to fix. I know that the scale can fluctuate by the hour, let alone by the day, so I'm content to cross my fingers before I get on at my WW weekly weigh in rather than distress myself all week! When I've had a bad week, I'll tend to weigh the night before, just to prepare myself, but so far (3 weeks in) I haven't had any worrisome weeks, so I've stayed off the scale.

Well, my computer is still being weird - today it won't let me do smilies - last night I tried to post on 10 pounds at a time and when I tried to preview, I lost the whole message. I don't know if it's my system or the site...

Have a good day and a great weekend for those of you who don't check in!
Old 04-23-2004, 12:03 PM   #139  

Hi all. You all sound like things are going good. Things are fine here too. Had to food shop this morning and the foot didn't hurt like yesterday, but I don't think I will walk this afternoon. I'll give it some more rest and do it tomorrow even if it hurts. Sitting for too many days won't help it either.

Heather so glad your husband is doing as well as he is. You both will be so glad when he gets home.

Chach if your mom needs the knees replaced she should do it. I am not sorry. I wouldn't have the surgery until I couldn't walk and it about got to that point. I was walking with a cane. Doctor did both at the same time. It was **** but easier because I didn't have to face it again. The hip is not where near as bad as the knees so maybe when I'm a real old lady I'll have that done.

Cris losing weigh does make it easier to deal with arthritis but on certain days it doesn't matter. But you just got to do what you got to do. Sorry about the snow. We had our last snow the first day of Spring March 20th. I don't want to see it again until next January.

Linda we have to stay off the scale. One day you can be down and the next up. I am really trying not to get back on until Sunday morning.

Have a good one. See you later.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:41 PM   #140  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Red face

Hi All!

What a bunch of wonderful women we all are! Great posts and wonderful reading! I am addicted to this post!

Sassy: Aw, shucks, I'm blushing. Now if I could only take my own advice! I know there are times we all falter a little, but the important part is picking up ourselves from the floor and starting over. I loved what you wrote about the scales. Here is what I think I will be doing. After my weigh in on Sunday, I am going to bring my scales to work and leave them here until Wednesday. (Baby steps, as I am a scalestepper addict!). I will be able to give my results from the first week of our challenge on Sunday, then not weigh again until Wednesday before WW. I'll take them home on Wednesday night with me. I am totally scared, but I think it's time for me to take control of the machine, not let it control me, just like you said. This is a bigger challenge to me than exercise, etc. Nothing is going to be harder so it's something I need to control. I have controlled my eating and my exercise, so it's time to start dealing with my mental issues! I might be a little crazy, but you all will need to help calm me down.

Linda: My scales at home weigh me 3-3.5 pounds lighter than the one at WW. I bought a new scale to see if it was my old scale, but it's not. I weighed exactly the same on both scales. Who knows???

Heather: So glad to hear your hubby is doing well and might get to come home tonight. That is awesome! I am sure he is going to feel so much better than before.

Dotti: Sorry to hear your foot is still giving you problems. Hopefully it is feeling better by tomorrow's walk. My mom was walking with a cane but isn't anymore. She was told to wait until the pain is unbearable and then get the surgery. I think if she lost about 100 pounds she would be better, also. She's heavier than I have ever seen her and it scares me to death!

Okay, girls night at my house tonight. Making taco salad (3 points per scoop) and soda cake. We are watching movies and going to see my friend's new house she just signed on today. I'm so happy for her. She's got a horrible boyfriend that she is getting ready to dump and is finally back to the happy person that I love so much! Amazing how outside influences can affect our attitudes and personalities, huh? I'm so very excited for her.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I'll check in quickly tomorrow, but also on Sunday and give my results of my Challenge Weigh In. Is everyone else going to weigh and post on Sunday??? Hope so!

Keep up the excellent work!

Chach
Old 04-23-2004, 07:34 PM   #141  

Thumbs up It's Finally Friday!

Nancy, as far as your after dinner snacking that is out of control... I've been to so many WW meetings where this kind of thing has been discussed and I know they would tell you to plan for it and allow some points and eating something satisfying and filling.
What about popcorn? It's so high volume and low points, especially if you use an air popcorn maker. The microwave low fat popcorn is good, but some can be deceptive, you really have to check fat and serving sizes. I wonder if you could experiment with different flavorings, like those gourmet popcorn shops that used to be in shopping malls?
If you spray WW butter spray on it you could even sprinkle Slenda mixed with cocoa powder and have a "taste sensation"! What about using splashes of extracts such as coconut or something? Don't know if that would work, but worth a try, though it could get soggy? I hear some people use chili powder on popcorn as well, not for me, but a good idea.

When I made lifetime, before, my staple afternoon snack was popcorn. I counted one point and didn't measure, just ate it until I was FULL. It worked to fill me up, and I desperately needed to feel full. Counting only one point was kind of cheating, but I was desperate.

I love air popped popcorn with the WW butter spray and just salt. I know sodium isn't good, either, but I'm working on one thing at a time here!

I did get on the scale a few more times today, but not as many times as yesterday. I think one thing that finally made me relax, was that the number went DOWN instead of us this morning, after my workout! I could relax! My weight really does fluctuate so very much all throughout the day. I was 161 when I got up and was 158 after my workout, and even eating breakfast and drinking about 4 cups of water and 2 cups of coffee....go figure!
I really do FEEL thinner today, though. I looked in the mirror before I took my shower and some of those awful bulges are lessened! That was a good feeling! The bulges aren't gone, but seemed less, that felt good.

I need some suggestions for GREAT low point entertaining that doesn't appear low point or low fat or anything!
Next weekend, my in laws are coming and staying for two nights. We always have a very nice meal and desserts and appetizers when we get together. Drinks too, yikes! I've got to keep in control. I can use up flex points, certainly, but I want to be a great hostess and have a nice time.

Dotti, are you using Glucosomine Chrondoitin (sp???) for your arthritis? It totally keeps mine "in check" unless it's extremely humid. When I lived in NY state years ago, I got Lyme Disease and still have awful arthritis in my fingers, hips and knees - believe it or not, even my toes. It was so awful, I couldn't walk a block without being nearly in tears.
Now, I have "Post Lyme Syndrome" and am not taking any medications for this other than the Glucosomine supplements. If I go off it for a few weeks (I tried to see what would happen) the pain comes right back. It's amazing stuff and if you aren't using it, do try it. It's not cheap, but worth every penny! You need to give it a good three weeks, or so, before expecting results.

Chach, enjoy your girls night out! Sounds like fun!

I did well today, am right at my target range. I worked out and ran for about a minute on the treadmill in addition to my 20 minutes of fast walking. I did extra housework today and kind of "enjoyed" it for a change as I was thinking that I was shaving off points, but I didn't count them!

We can be successful, everyone, I can feel it. We are good for each other!
Happy Friday!!!!

Feeling good about myself, Linda
Old 04-23-2004, 11:21 PM   #142  

Well, I started this post and lost it. I'm starting it over again and hope it doesn't post twice. I haven't been around much the last few days but I been checking in quickly to scan. I hope to read all the posts I've missed over the weekend. I have actually been doing pretty well. I haven't been tracking points but have stuck to the same type of selections when possible so I think I'm doing pretty well with the points anyway. I started a more aggressive exercise program this week. once or twice a day(most days twice) and it takes an extra hour 1/2 to 2 hrs. But I think it's an important habit to make. I started back on weight watchers 4/11 and have lost 8 lbs so far. The exercise has really helped.

So hopefully I will read the posts and respond this weekend. I love this board and really do care about everyone and how they are doing. I didn't want anyone to think I was blowing them off. So I hope alls well with this great group. ttyl.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:42 AM   #143  

Hi Ladies.

Well went for my 2 mile walk this morning. Foot didn't hurt. Yippee!

Linda I did take the Glucomine, etc before my knees got bad but it really didn't help. Yet I know people who have had good results with it. I have been taking Celebrex now for years. But I have cut back on the dosage. The damp and humid days are the worst but I have lived with pain for so many years that it is a part of me and most days I ignore it. I too practically live on popcorn. Always have it on hand for those nights when I can eat the house literally.

Donna 8 lbs since April 11th. That is fantastic.

Chach bet the girls night out was fun. Tell your mom to try and lose weight before the surgery. I didn't. This was before I went back to weight watchers and was very heavy. The physical therapy would have been a lot easier if I were thinner.

Ok gang. Have a good Saturday. I will check in tomorrow for our results.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:39 PM   #144  

Red face Saturday Update

Well, here it is almost one week since the start of the challenge. I'm still on target.
Today, rather than doing my usual workout, I worked in the yard for nearly three hours raking and bagging leaves. What a nasty mess we have to contend with! We moved here in December and the previous homeowners never raked up all the fall leaves, they are matted down and wet. So, working for about three hours earned me sore arms, shoulders and 4 points!
I'm going out to eat tonight, so those 4 points will come in handy.
I did give in and got on the scale today, typical of me. I was 157 early this morning, a new low. But, later on I was 158. I am going to try NOT to get on the scale again until tomorrow's weigh in for the challenge!
I hope everyone is doing well. I find the weekends are the hardest to stay OP as my family is home and they are sabotage experts with any diet.
I was busy this morning planning my menus for next weekend when my in laws will be here. I went through some of the recipes on this web site and a few of my WW cookbooks. I'm kind of settled on a few things, but would still love any ideas some of you might have.
Take care, everyone and enjoy your weekend!
Linda in sunny NH
Old 04-25-2004, 10:00 PM   #145  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hi Ladies!

Okay, first of all, my first week of challenge results:

1. Down to 233.5 on home scales this morning. 5 pounds lost the first week. Excellent and beyond my expectations! (Hoping to get a 2.4 or higher loss this week at WW to get my next 5 pound star.) I am only .5 pounds away from being 50 pounds down from my highest in 2000.

2. Exercise was even better than I had projected. I worked out each day for about an hour total except for yesteday. Saturday was my day off. It's really working out walking at work, because I don't have an excuse to not go walking. Did 30 minutes on Gazelle this morning, 30 minutes of Taebo while son was sleeping, and just returned from a 30 minute bike ride!

3. I shaved at least one point per day each day this last week. Was close yesterday, but scraped it off at the last part!

4. Checked in daily on this thread, so that was successful.

5. Water is not a problem, so I did that each and every day.

6. Personal goal of 15 pounds to lose before June 9th--1/3 of the way there with my 5 pound loss so far this week!

Ladies, thank you so much for joining me on this challenge. I am very excited to report such wonderful results the first week, as I am sure that all weeks will not be so successful.

I had a tought time on Friday night with girls night. One of the girls is attending WW with me, but the other is not and is so out of control with her life and eating right now that it's scaring me. She has gained probably 60-100 pounds in the last 2 years and is so out of shape that she was so winded she couldn't talk when she walked up my stairs at the house. I made taco salad and a soda cake. She ran to the store to get a huge thing of Gatorade (as she doesn't like diet soda), a huge bag of tortilla chips (neither of the other two of us ate any and the bag was almost gone when she left) and a big tub of sour cream (we didn't touch that either). She's probably gone from a size 12 when we first met two years ago to about a 24 or 26. I'm not telling her about WW, because she saw a few thing up on my fridge about it and got very defensive and did not want to speak about it.

I'm never one to push about losing weight, because I hated it when people told me that, and I never want to become one of those fanatic fitness junkies who judges people because they aren't in shape. All I want is to be healthy and be active with my family. Ladies, I'm so afraid of what is going to happen to her if she doesn't do something soon. How do I approach this or do I just let her wait to come to me if she wants? What triggered me was I bought a new pair of jeans about two weeks ago in a size 18. They are now getting loose on me because the exercise is really melting away the inches. (I have a lot to melt!!!!!!!) So, she say, "Hey, those are cute jeans. They are really flattering and slimming." My other friend heard her say this and just looked at me. My WW friend waited until the other friend went home and said, "The reason they are flattering and slimming is because you have lost almost 20 pounds and you are slimming yourself.". I kinda was thinking the same thing, but hey, all I really care about is the fact I can wash them, put them in the dryer and they still aren't tight on me. That is how I really like to measure my success. My size 20 Levis are about falling off of me now also and I can't believe that!!

Okay, so I ranted and vented a little, but do you guys ever get worried about your friends? Have you had any success talking about things and not have the friend get mad? My thoughts at this points are to let her continue, but if she approaches me I want to talk to her in a loving, caring, yet concerned way. I really would appreciate any guidance you all have on this issue. Also, any help you all will have with how I approach talking to my mom when she is here in August will help. I tried about three years ago when I started to lose and she was good for about three months, but now has put it all back on and a lot more. My guess is she is around 250, and she is only about 5'3.

I'm glad everyone is doing well and Dotti, that your foot is better. Linda, how did weigh in go? Waiting to hear from all of you!

Michelle, how are you? Hope this work week goes better for you.

Sassy, my friend, how did your results go??

Heather, how is your hubby doing??

I'll talk to you all later.

Chach
Old 04-25-2004, 10:53 PM   #146  
Christine

Default I'm Back..and ready to lose!

Count me in! I have been off the program over a year and have gained. I went back to meeting last Wednesday. (weighed in at 169) Last time I began I only weighed in at 162 so, you know I was long overdue. I am committed to making ti this time....I will be 30 this year, and I am not getting any younger! I have been drinking nothing but water when I was used to soda and fast food all the time. Since I went back to school it has been food hand to mouth..literally and it's so hard to pass up the Wendys on the corner. I did get the Calculator as well.. I don't have a scale to measure my food..but I do use 1/2 c, cup measuring cups. I think the scale might be good. and I haven't exercizes...which I know is key! I am ready and I am determined!!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:51 AM   #147  

Default Monday Morning

Hi all,

Chach great going! You are one exercise dynamo.
As much as you want to help your friend you really can't until she is ready. Although I have hated myself when I was out of control with eating, it didn't matter who or what anyone said to me. It has to come from her. Just be supportive to her and let her know you love her no matter what.

Well my week was good. Got back to walking. The foot isn't too bad. But today it is raining big time. I only went down 1/2 lb this week. That is ok as last week I was down 3 1/2 and the week before 1 1/2. I really don't expect big losses as I only have 20 of the original 70 to get back off. (now 14 1/2 to go).

Hope everyone is doing good.

Welcome Christine. Any change no matter how small is a step in the right direction. Please continue coming back here for support.

A side note, I couldn't get on this site yesterday as a message stated it was down for repairs or something or other. Today I had difficulty getting on again. Had to try several times. So if you don't hear from me that is why.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:00 AM   #148  

Good Monday morning everyone

I didn't have a great weekend points wise and am avoiding the scales - which is a bad thing. Isn't it weird - when people ask me on Monday if I had a good weekend, I immediately thing "no" because I wasn't OP, but then start thinking of all the great things that I did - went out to dinner with an friend I haven't seen since Christmas, visited my grandkids, etc. etc. Now, if I can only have all the good without going over on my points my life would be as close to perfect as I can stand.

Linda: Thanks for the popcorn idea. I used to do that but haven't for a while. I'm going to give it a try tonight. I know it is an old one, but I had company on the weekend and did a fresh fruit tray and used Light CoolWhip mixed with light strawberry yogurt with a little splash of Grand Marnier to give it some kick. Everyone really seemed to like it - went faster than the standard salami and chesse & crackers tray.

Chach - what a great start to the challenge. I've just got to get with the program !

Christine - 3 kids and back to school - good for you. If you can do that you can master anything.

I had better run ?

Have a great day everyone

Nancy
Old 04-26-2004, 12:10 PM   #149  

Okay it's Monday, so I'm back ......everyone knows I'm always missing in action on the weekends!!!
Rummage sale went well.....made enough to cover the treadmill I bought from the gals having the rummage sale with me.
Quilt for my parent's anniversary is almost done, so that's another check off the to do list.
Weighed in this morning, I'm up two lbs....granted it's that time of the month and I'm really retaining fluids, but it's like ever since I tried on that dress and it fit, I've been so BAD!!!! I don't want to, but it's like I'm sabbataging myself all the time now. Need to get back in a good mindset, so Ive been catching up on here, and I'm look forward to watching Dr. Phil later on....need to get back at it and get my thinking squared around....any tips or comments would be well appreciated!!!!!
Michelle
Old 04-26-2004, 05:01 PM   #150  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hi all!

Sassy, where are you??????

Christine: Welcome! Sounds like you are ready to get back in it! Good luck and keep coming back for support!

Michelle: Okay, woman, back in line!! Time to get focused again! You not only want to fit in that dress, but make it look like it's swimming on you! Remember why you are doing this.....for yourself! I know you can do it! Just remember to look over your shoulder, because I'm right on your heels and going to catch up with you if you are not careful! You don't want me to hit 1derland before you, do you???? I have 37 to go, you have 11! Let's race!

Dotti: Thanks for the congrats! I remember when someone once talked to me about losing weight before I was ready and that angered me so much! I actually gained weight after that! Now, as my leader says, I use SPITE to lose weight! Showing someone I can do it and proving everyone else wrong is a nice little thing also. (Not my main motivation, but some!) Great job on the loss! Like we all say,the less we have to lose, the longer it takes to come off! I think you are doing a wonderful job!

Nancy: Isn't it funny how we associate everything we are doing right now with weight loss? Good weekend = OP with food, nothing else. We gotta change that mindset! You WILL be successful!

Gotta scoot!

Chach
Closed Thread