3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   Old selection Plan (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/33538-old-selection-plan.html)

Bev 10-22-2003 10:26 PM

Old selection Plan

Is anyone doing the old weight watchers selection plan? That is the only program that I have been able to lose on and I am thinking about trying it again.

Is there anyone who has tryed it again and they are having good results with it?

Kelly_S 10-22-2003 10:33 PM

Have you looked at how you are spending your points compared to the categories before you totally give up real life and go back to selections? I would feel so deprived and depressed if I went back. I like being the adult and choosing my foods and spending my points by following "Eating by the Numbers" -- somewhere on my computer here I have a journal that combines the selection plan with points if you want me to I'll hunt it down.

Itryharder 10-23-2003 08:44 AM

Kelly,
I would be so grateful if you could post the comparison of the points and selection plan. I ordered an old WW cookbook with the hope that it would have the selection plan contained in it.
It wasn't very clear, so I'd love to see the selections for women.

I love the points plan and am finally successful again with Flexpoints, but my friend hates the points and needs reminders on the selections.
Thanks,
Judy:dizzy:

JaneStarr 10-24-2003 07:17 PM

I was able to find the Smart Start Plan online!! This is the plan that I used to lose my weight. I made Lifetime and have kept the weight off since 1996. I found that the structure of the Selection plans worked better for me while losing. The Points plan has been great for helping me maintain.

Jane

http://www.geocities.com/george_draper/smartstart.htm

Scroll down to the bottom to see suggested "Breakfasts" "Light Meals" and "Main Meals"
I will try to paste the info into this message, in case it helps anybody.

The one-week SMART START helps you jump-start you weight loss journey. Its structure helps get you in control right away. SMART START is simple. No meal planning. No tracking what you eat. Just delicious, quick-to-prepare meals you're sure to enjoy. And the weight loss you'll see from the beginning can help motivate you to reach your goal. In addition, SMART START fits right in with the array of choices you'll be making in the weeks ahead to ensure that the Weight Watchers program fits your lifestyle.

Cutting fat and eating healthfully, without feeling deprived, is easy with SMART START. Inside you'll also find tips for eating out, staying satisfied and keeping nutritionally fit. With SMART START you'll begin learning how to lose weight and live more healthfully right away!

SMART START will help get your weight loss efforts off to a great start. Meals have already been planned for you. Simply eat a breakfast, light meal, main meal and a snack every day. By eating the portions specified in the menus, you'll be learning about portion control - the hallmark of weight management. And by enjoying the variety of foods offered in each meal, you'll be eating nutritiously. Each day, choose any breakfast listed, light meal, main meal and snack. Combine them in any way you like. SMART START is designed to fit your lifestyle. So if you prefer to eat a main meal during the day and a light meal in the evening - go right ahead. If you want a snack in the morning rather than at night, that's fine too. SMART START is also designed to be flexible. Be sure to check out "Making Substitutions" and "Eating Out on SMART START" so that you can follow the plan - even on the most challenging days!

Special Notes

MEN: Your nutritional needs are greater, so you need to:

DOUBLE the serving size of fruit for your breakfast or snack

Add ONE of these choices each day:
1 tsp margarine
2 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
1 tsp mayonnaise
2 tsp reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1 tsp oil
1/2 Tbsp salad dressing

2 slices bread
4 slices reduced-calorie bread
1 1/2 oz breadsticks
2 oz pita
6 Graham cracker squares

2 oz cooked or 3 oz uncooked lean beef or pork
2 oz cooked or 3 oz uncooked chicken or turkey
4 oz cooked or 5 oz uncooked fish
4 oz water-packed tuna
3 oz nonfat cheese
4 oz cooked beans or chickpeas
4 oz firm tofu

LEARNING NEW HABITS

Any safe and sensible weight loss journey involves bringing new habits into your life. Establishing new habits not only enhances your ability to lose weight, it's critical for maintaining your weight loss and a healthful lifestyle. Starting today:

Practice portion control. Eating the right amount of food is critical to losing weight. You can eat too much of foods that are good for you.

Closely follow the menus, paying special attention to the amount of each food. If needed, weigh or measure the food to be sure that you're using the correct portion. Buy a food scale for your kitchen if you don't already have one.

Drink 6 to 8 glasses (1.5 to 2 L) of water every day. It not only curbs your appetite, water helps regulate body temperature and carries nutrient through the body. For variety, add a lemon or lime wedge to water or try an unsweetened, flavored sparkling water over ice.

Become more physically active. You don't need to become an athlete. Simply look for more opportunities in your daily life to move more.

MAKING SUBSTITUTIONS

Don't have apple juice in the refrigerator? No problem. You may make limited substitutions in any of the SMART START menus. Simply see if the food you want to substitute is in one of the following boxes. If it is, swap it with another food in the same box. For example, you may swap 1/2 medium grapefruit for 1/2 cup apple juice, but not for one slice of bread. Be sure to note the portion sizes.

Milk

-1 cup milk, skim, nonfat or 1%
-1 cup yogurt, nonfat, aspartame-sweetened
-3/4 cup yogurt, nonfat, plain

Fat

-1/8 medium (1 oz) avocado
-1 tsp margarine, liquid vegetable oil
-2 tsp margarine, reduced-calorie
-1 tsp mayonnaise
-2 tsp mayonnaise, reduced calorie
-10 small or 6 large (1 oz) olives
-1 tsp peanut butter
-1/2 Tbsp salad dressing, regular, any type
-1 tsp vegetable oil

Fruit

-1 small (4 oz) apple
-1/2 cup apple juice
-6 dried apricot halves
-1/2 medium (3 oz) banana
-1 cup cantaloupe
-1/2 cup canned fruit, water- or juice-packed
-1/2 medium (8 oz) grapefruit
-1/2 cup grapefruit juice
-20 small or 12 large grapes
-1 small (6 oz) orange
-1 small (6 oz) pear
-2 Tbsp raisins
-1 Tbsp spreadable fruit
-1 cup strawberries

Vegetables

1/2 cup each:

-broccoli
-brussels sprouts
-cabbage
-carrots
-cauliflower
-celery
-cucumber
-green beans
-lettuce
-mushrooms
-onions
-peppers
-spinach
-sprouts, alfalfa or bean
-sugar snap peas
-tomatoes
-tomato or mixed vegetable juice
-zucchini

Protein

-1 oz cooked beef, lamb, pork, or veal
-3/4 oz cheese, hard or semisoft
-1 1/2 oz cheese, hard or semisoft, nonfat
-2 oz cooked chickpeas or kidney beans
-1/3 cup cottage cheese, low-fat (1% or 2%)
-1 egg
-1 oz cooked fish (salmon, mackerel, anchovies, sardines, herring)
-1 oz cooked ham
-1 oz cooked poultry without skin (e.g. chicken, turkey, duck)
-1 1/2 oz processed meat, lean (up to 2 grams pat per oz)
-1/4 cup ricotta cheese, part-skim
-2 oz firm tofu

Note: if a SMART START menu states twice the portion size of food found in this box, substitute twice the amount of food listed here (e.g. substitute 2 oz cooked beef for 2 oz cooked chicken).

Bread

-1/2 cup (1 oz) bagel
-1 slice (1 oz) bread, any type
-2 slices bread, reduced-calorie
-2 long or 4 short (3/4 oz) breadsticks
-3/4 oz cold cereal
-1/2 cup cooked cereal
-1/2 cup cooked corn
-1/2 cup corn
-1 small (5") ear corn on the cob
-1/2 English muffin
-3 Graham cracker squares
-6 rounds or 4 slices Melba toast
-1/2 cup cooked pasta (noodles, spaghetti, etc.)
-1/2 cup green peas
-1 small (1 oz) pita
-3 cups popcorn, hot-air popped or light microwave-popped
-3 oz cooked sweet potato
-4 oz cooked white potato
-1/2 cup cooked rice
-2 (3/4 oz) or 6 mini rice cakes
-1 small (1oz) roll, any type
-6 saltine crackers
-1 tortilla (6" diameter), any type

STAYING SATISFIED ON SMART START

With SMART START, there's no need to ever feel deprived. If you have the urge to eat, try one (or more) of the following tips:

Drink water. Jazz it up with lots of ice and a slice of lemon or lime or try noncaloric flavored seltzer
Munch on vegetables. Eat them whenever you want, in addition to your meals. Keep a supply of freshly cut vegetables (e.g. carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower) in your refrigerator (not starchy vegetables like corn, potatoes or legumes)
Drink coffee, tea or diet soda in reasonable amounts
Eat slowly and enjoy your meal. You'll feel more satisfied with a lot less
Take a 10-minute walk to be sure you're not confusing hunger with boredom
Check the time of the day. If you find the urge to eat happens the same time every day, plan to eat your snack before the hunger strikes.
BREAKFASTS (CHOOSE ONE PER DAY)

Cereal with Banana

3/4 oz fortified cold cereal
1/2 medium (3 oz) banana
1 cup skim milk
Oatmeal with Maple Syrup

1/2 cup cooked oatmeal with 1 tsp maple syrup
1 cup skim milk
1 small (6 oz) orange
English Muffin and Grapefruit

1/2 English muffin with 1 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
1/2 medium (8 oz) grapefruit
1 cup skim milk
Yogurt with Cantaloupe Chunks

3/4 cups plain nonfat yogurt with 1 cup cantaloupe chunks and 1 1/2 Tbsp wheat germ
1 1/2 Graham cracker squares
Raisin Bread and Apricot Halves

1 slice raisin bread with 1/2 Tbsp whipped cream cheese
6 dried apricot halves
1 cup skim milk
Hot Apple n' Oats Cereal

1/2 cup cooked oatmeal with 1 tsp reduced-calorie margarine, 1 Tbsp raisins, 1/4 cup warm unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon
1 cup skim milk
Tropical Yogurt Parfait

3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt with 1/2 cup canned juice-packed crushed pineapple, 1 1/2 Tbsp wheat germ and 1 tsp toasted coconut
2 slices Melba toast
Strawberry-Yogurt Shake

1 cup Aspartame-sweetened nonfat yogurt with 1 cup strawberries and 2-3 ice cubes combined in a blender
4 short breadsticks
Cereal with Raisins

3/4 oz Bran Flakes with 2 Tbsp raisins
1 cup skim milk
Bagel with Cream Cheese

1/2 small (1 oz) bagel with 1/2 Tbsp whipped cream cheese
1 small (4 oz) apple
1 cup skim milk
Yogurt and Graham Crackers

1 cup Aspartame-sweetened nonfat yogurt
3 Graham cracker squares
1 small (6 oz) orange
LIGHT MEALS (CHOOSE ONE PER DAY)

Chicken Salad on Roll

1 oz chopped cooked chicken with 2 tsp reduced-calorie mayonnaise, chopped celery, lettuce and sliced tomato on 1 large (2 oz) whole wheat roll
carrot sticks
1 cup skim milk
Cottage Cheese and Avocado Salad

mixed greens topped with 1/3 cup low-fat cottage cheese and 1 oz sliced avocado and red onion
celery sticks
3 Graham cracker squares
1 cup skim milk
Hummus (Chickpea Spread) with Pita Chips

2 oz mashed cooked chickpeas mixed with 1/2 minced garlic clove, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp olive oil
1 small (1 oz) whole wheat pita, split and cut into quarters
sliced cucumber mixed with 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt (optional: sprinkled with dill)
Greek Salad

lettuce leaves topped with sliced tomato and onion, 6 large black olives, 3/4 oz crumbled feta cheese and 2 Tbsp fat-free Italian dressing
1 large (2 oz) pita
Egg Salad in Pita

1 chopped hard-boiled egg with 2 tsp reduced-calorie mayonnaise, diced onion, celery, green bell pepper and lettuce in 1 small (1 oz) whole wheat pita
carrot and celery sticks
3 Graham cracker squares
1 cup skim milk
Turkey Honey-Mustard Pocket (this was a personal favorite of mine while on SMART START)

1 1/2 oz sliced lean smoked turkey breast with lettuce, sliced tomato and mixture of 2 tsp reduced-calorie mayonnaise and 1/2 tsp each mustard and honey in 1 small (1 oz) whole wheat pita
1 small (4 oz) apple
1 cup skim milk
Broccoli-Cheese Potato

4 oz baked potato topped with 1/2 cup cooked broccoli florets and 3/4 oz shredded cheese; broiled until cheese melts
sliced tomato and cucumber with 1/2 Tbsp Italian Dressing
3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt with cinnamon
Spinach Salad

spinach leaves topped with sliced mushrooms and onion, tomato wedges, 1.2 cup croutons, 3/4 oz shredded Swiss cheese and 2 Tbsp fat-free Italian dressing
4 slices Melba toast
1 cup skim milk
Vegetarian Tortilla

1 (6" diameter) corn tortilla topped with 1 oz cooked red kidney beans, 3/4 oz shredded nonfat hard cheese, 1 oz sliced avocado, shredded lettuce, alfalfa sprouts and salsa)
1 small (6 oz) orange
1 cup skim milk
Vegetable-Cheese Pita

1 1/2 oz shredded nonfat hard cheese with 6 minced large Spanish olives, shredded carrot and lettuce, bean sprouts and 1 tsp sunflower seeds in 1 small (1 oz) whole wheat pita
12 large grapes
Ham and Cheese Sandwich

3/4 oz sliced cooked lean ham, 3/4 oz nonfat cheese with sliced tomato, lettuce, and 2 tsp reduced-calorie mayonnaise on 2 slices reduced-calorie bread
carrot and celery sticks
1 small (6 oz) pear
1 cup skim milk
Peanut Butter Sandwich

1 Tbsp peanut butter with 1 Tbsp spreadable fruit on 2 slices reduced-calorie bread
carrot sticks
1 cup skim milk
Tuna Salad Sandwich

2 oz water-packed tuna with chopped celery and onion, 2 tsp reduced-calorie mayonnaise, lettuce, and sliced tomato on 2 slices reduced-calorie bread
cucumber spears and carrot sticks
3 Graham cracker squares
1 cup skim milk
MAIN MEALS (CHOOSE ONE PER DAY)

Spaghetti with Sauce and Cheese

Saute 1/2 diced green bell pepper, 1/4 cup diced Spanish onion and 1 minced garlic clove in 1 tsp oil. Add 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes and simmer. Pour over 1 cup cooked spaghetti and top with 1 1/2 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
spinach leaves with sliced onion and 1/2 Tbsp French dressing
Vegetable Pizza and Mixed Greens

vegetable pizza: 1 (2 oz) English muffin, split and toasted, topped with 2 Tbsp tomato sauce, 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms, 1 Tbsp each chopped onion and green bell pepper and 3/4 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese; broiled
mixed greens with sliced tomato, 2 oz cooked chickpeas, 2 tsp olive oil and flavored vinegar
Barbecued Pork Chop and Corn on the Cob

2 oz grilled lean loin pork chop with 1 Tbsp BBQ sauce
1 small (5") ear corn on the cob with 1 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
mixed greens with sliced tomato, shredded carrot and 1/2 Tbsp French dressing
1 slice whole wheat bread with 1 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
Oriental Flank Steak

2 oz broiled flank steak with 1 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
8 oz baked potato with 2 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
steamed broccoli florets with 2 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
mixed greens with sliced tomato and onion, shredded carrot and 1 Tbsp fate-free Italian dressing
Lemon-Garlic Chicken

Saute 1 minced garlic clove in 2 tsp reduced-calorie margarine. Add 3 oz uncooked chicken breast (cut into 1" cubes), 1/2 cup thawed frozen peas, 2 tsp lemon juice, 2 Tbsp white wine and minced parsley. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes or until done.
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
mixed greens with sliced tomato and cucumber, shredded carrot, 1 tsp olive oil and flavored vinegar
Pasta with Marinara Sauce and Ricotta Cheese

Saute 2 minced garlic cloves in 1 tsp olive oil. Add 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes and 1 tsp each basil leaves and oregano; simmer. Pour sauce over 1 cup cooked pasta and stir in 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with 1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese.
spinach leaves with sliced mushrooms, 2 oz cooked chickpeas and 1/2 Tbsp Italian dressing
Sole with Dressing and Potato

4 oz baked sole cooked with 1 Tbsp fat-free Italian dressing
8 oz baked potato with 1 Tbsp nonfat sour cream
cooked zucchini with 2 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
spinach leaves with sliced mushrooms, onion and tomato, 1 tsp oil and flavored vinegar
Baked Ham and Sweet Potato

2 oz baked lean ham with spicy mustard
6 oz baked sweet potato with 2 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
cooked brussels sprouts with 1 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
mixed greens with shredded carrot, sliced tomato and cucumber, 1 tsp oil and flavored vinegar
Spinach Salad and Peanut Butter Toast

spinach salad: spinach leaves with 2 oz cooked chickpeas, sliced onion and mushrooms, 1 tsp oil and flavored vinegar
4 slices Melba toast with 1 Tbsp peanut butter
Shrimp with Broccoli and Brown Rice

Stir-fry 1/2 cup broccoli florets and 1/4 cup each cauliflower florets, sliced carrot, bean sprouts and scallions in 2 tsp oil, until tender crisp. Add 4 oz cooked shrimp and soy sauce
1 cup cooked brown rice with 1 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
sliced cucumber with flavored vinegar
Beef Tenderloin and Red Potato

2 oz grilled lean beef tenderloin with 1 Tbsp steak sauce
4 oz cooked red potato with 2 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
cooked sugar snap peas
mixed greens with shredded carrot, sliced cucumber and onion, 1 tsp oil and flavored vinegar
Vegetable Scramble and Hash Browns

Scramble 2/3 cup fat-free egg substitute and 1/4 cup each chopped green onion, green bell pepper, mushrooms, and tomato in 2 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
In a nonstick skillet melt 2 tsp reduced-calorie margarine; add 8 oz shredded cooked potato and chopped onion and cook until potato is browned
tomato slices with 1 Tbsp fat-free Italian dressing
Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry

Saute 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 cup broccoli florets and 1/2 cup each sliced carrot and green onion in 2 tsp olive oil. Add 3 oz uncooked chicken cutlet (cut into 1" strips), 1 Tbsp teriyaki sauce, 1 tsp light soy sauce and 1/4 cup chicken broth. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until done.
1 cup cooked brown rice
mixed greens with sliced tomato and 1 Tbsp fat-free Italian dressing
Crunchy Baked Chicken with Peas and Carrots

Preheat oven to 400F. Combine 3/4 oz crushed cornflakes, 1 tsp sesame seeds, 1/2 tsp paprika, salt and pepper; set aside. Brush 3 oz uncooked chicken breast, pounded thin, with 1 Tbsp skim milk; then coat with cereal mixture and place in nonstick baking pan. Dot chicken with 2 tsp reduced-calorie margarine and bake 15 minutes or until done.
1/2 cup cooked peas; 1/2 cup carrot with 2 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
mixed greens with sliced tomato and cucumber and lemon wedge
Tofu Vegetable Stir-Fry and Rice

Stir-fry 4 oz cubed firm tofu and 1/2 cup each chopped mushrooms, green bell pepper, broccoli and carrot in 4 tsp reduced-calorie margarine. Add 2 tsp soy sauce
1 cup cooked brown rice
Pasta Primavera and Mixed Greens

Saute 2 minced garlic cloves, 1/2 cup sliced zucchini, 1/2 cup each thawed frozen green beans and broccoli florets, and 1 cup diced plum tomatoes in 2 tsp olive oil. Add 1 cup cooked pasta, 3/4 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese and 2 oz cooked red kidney beans; cover and cook 10 minutes
mixed greens with 2 Tbsp fate-free Italian dressing
Hamburger on Bun

2 oz broiled extra lean hamburger patty with sliced tomato and onion, lettuce, mustard, and 2 tsp ketchup on 1 (2 oz) hamburger roll
1 cup cooked carrots with 2 tsp reduced-calorie margarine
mixed greens with 1/2 Tbsp French dressing
Vegetable Sandwich and Cottage Cheese

sliced tomato, onion, pickle, lettuce and 4 tsp reduced-calorie mayonnaise on 2 slices whole wheat bread
2/3 cup low-fat cottage cheese
carrot sticks
Vegetarian Chili

1 cup cooked rice topped with 4 oz cooked red kidney beans, 1/2 cup canned chopped tomatoes and 1 tsp chili powder
mixed greens with 1 Tbsp Italian dressing
SNACKS (CHOOSE ONE DAILY)

1 Tbsp raisins and 3 chopped dried apricot halves mixed with 3/4 oz miniature Shredded Wheat biscuits
2 slices toasted reduced-calorie bread with 1 Tbsp spreadable fruit
1 small (6 oz) orange plus 6 flavored mini rice cakes
1 small (4 oz) apple and 7 fat-free crackers
1 small (6 oz) pear and 4 short (3/4 oz) breadsticks
6 dried apricot halves and 3 cups light microwave-popped popcorn
1 medium (4 oz) kiwi fruit and 3/4 oz pretzels
1 small (4 oz) nectarine and 3 Graham Cracker Squares
1 cup strawberries and 6 Melba toast rounds
20 small grapes and 3 Graham Cracker Squares
1 small (6 oz) pear and 6 saltine crackers
1 small (4 oz) apple and 3 cups light microwave-popped popcorn
AFTER SMART START

SMART START is just the beginning of your weight-loss journey. After doing SMART START for the first week, proceed to the Selection Plan.
http://www.geocities.com/george_drap...tionbasics.htm

Kelly_S 10-24-2003 08:30 PM

I have an excel and/or works spreadsheet that I could e-mail. Let me know where!