Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 11:14 AM   #1  

Talking

Hello,
truthfully two years ago I became a life time member of weight watchers and I felt wonderful. It was after the birth of my son. Well this is not an excuse but I teach 2nd graders and between them and my toddler I got stressed and ate and have gained 15 pounds. Well now I want another baby but I do not want to start 15 pounds up and I need a program to follow when I am pregnant. I feel in my heart I am ready but I am a major compulsive eater. I mean I eat my breakfast and I start thinking about the next meal. At school under stress I put food in my body that I don't want or need, but I am weak. I guess I am worried that I will fail, but things are different this time I want to succeed. Another problem is I can't afford the meetings so I figured you guys would be my meetings. I have lurked for along time and you guys are very inspirational. I will do it! I need to do this for myself. Could anyone give me some tips to help me along my journey. I already am drinking the water and I am going to plan. Boy I think that I am also afraid to lose the weight and confront all the emotional eating issues boy this is hard and I know this is long thanks for listening Frankie

Last edited by Frankie35; 03-10-2001 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2001, 12:42 PM   #2  

If you are a lifetimer, then you know how to work the program. It is just making the choice to do it. One thing that you might want to think about is how you frame the problem in your mind and with your words. I do think perspective on the whole process is 99% of the battle. I noticed that you labeled yourself a "major compulsive eater". If that is the label, it is tough to see it as choices you are making. Instead that sounds like "who you are". Also you said, "I am weak". Well, starting building those "muscles" that it will take to be strong. Those little things are all choices-drinking water, exercise, journalling, etc. I heard a great explanation by a wonderful WW Leader. She talked about how it isn't the desire that comes first in making change. It is dedication. Just take the steps, one at a time, and the weight loss will follow. Then, you will have the positive reinforcement to continue.
Old 03-10-2001, 07:22 PM   #3  

Since you are already a lifetime member mabey you could go to a place where they have meetings and buy a 12 week journal it might make it easier and more motivating to track your points I dont know if they will let you since you cant attend meetings but its worth a try

Last edited by Justme; 03-10-2001 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2001, 09:00 PM   #4  

Hello,
Thank you for the ideas and you are right I need to be in the right mind frame and I am finally there. I started today and because of you guys I had a great day. I will do this. Frankie
Old 03-11-2001, 10:27 AM   #5  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

As a life time member you only have to weigh im once a month. You pay if you are over goal ( for us that is 12dollars) less than a trip to Mc D's i might add. Meetings are FREE and you can go to as many as you like. You do not have to rejoin. You are a member already. Take advantage of that. Go to the meetings and get back on track. you can also get the new meterials and free journals.
Old 03-11-2001, 10:44 AM   #6  
Teacher Lady

Default Hi Frankie.......

....I am also a teacher and know what you mean about stress. This program works well for me.

Here are some of the things that I do to help me through the days:

I always keep a one litre bottle of water on my desk that I refill from the cooler several times a day.

I always keep ziploc containers full of mini carrots, cut up fruit and mini rice cakes on/in my desk. I can then "graze" all day long and it is not harmful to me. Usually, by the end of the day, I have eaten my 5 fruits and veggies minimum and have my water in.

I find that stress makes me want to eat and when the fruit and veggies and rice cakes are there, I eat them and don't usually miss the other stuff. But when I want chocolate, I have a piece.
Old 03-12-2001, 01:17 PM   #7  
LM

Default Exercise!

Hi Frankie,

I think you should consider regular exercise. It's a great stress-buster and it does something to your body that helps you stay on program. Works for me!

good luck,
Laurel
Old 03-13-2001, 11:07 AM   #8  
Teacher chick

I really like the snacks in ziplocks and water on the desk theory. I think I'll hit the grocery store tonight and get vegy and fruit to keep at the desk. Thanks for the suggestion spinsky.
Old 03-13-2001, 01:32 PM   #9  
Teacher Lady

Judygal -- thanks! It has helped me moer than you can ever imagine.....when I am hungry -- and often the realization hits me immediately -- the stuff is there to munch on!

When you go to the grocery store, pick up dried fruit too. It is easy and quick.

Kelly
Old 03-13-2001, 02:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I pack a brown bag every day to school -- but not really your typical lunch stuff. Usually two apples, an instant soup, a bar of some kind, and things like carrots or yogurt or other individually packaged stuff. I munch out of the bag all day long whenever I am hungry. When I first started I would sometimes eat everything before my 2nd period prep was over -- but now I usually stretch it out all day with the last snack in the car on the way home from school.

I eat oatmeal for breakfast and with my snack bag I am usually under 12 (or about 700 calories) points by the time I get home for dinner.
Old 03-17-2001, 03:57 PM   #11  

Default for the teachers...

So how do you teachers eat at your desk with a class full of kids?

I know that if my teachers in elementary, junior high, or high school ate at the desk, we would try to have the same privilege...

How do you guys deal with that?

andrea
Old 03-17-2001, 07:08 PM   #12  
Teacher Lady

I always let my students eat healthy foods during class time if they are hungry. I take some time to clarify what defines healthy foods -- fruit, veggies, muffins......
I usually keep the food on my desk and eat during recess break or on a very rare prep period.
Old 03-18-2001, 01:57 PM   #13  

I too am a teacher, i teach kindergarten, so I can relate to stress. But WW works, it just takes planning. I pack my lunch every day, and make sure i have healthy snacks. We eat lunch so early, so that is when i eat breakfast. I take oatmeal, or the 100% bran muffins. I also make sure i have fruit and veggies, and pop corn.

Hope you find success
Closed Thread