3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   How Many Times Have you Joined??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/2824-how-many-times-have-you-joined.html)

Burgundy 03-09-2001 04:31 PM

I am feeling so depressed at the number of times I have joined WW. I just recently rejoined for at least the 8th time only to drop out again after 3 weeks. Two years ago I had lost all but 10 pounds. Now I have regained more than half what I lost. I want to join again but am so embarrassed. Has anyone out there joined more times than me and has been successful?????

Bumby 03-09-2001 04:57 PM

The day I joined WW, there was a woman in the group making goal, having lost 87# (she went on to lose 13 more because she wanted to make it an even 100#, and her goal was a doctor's-note-supported higher-than-WW range number anyway). This was her THIRTEENTH try.

Kelly_S 03-09-2001 05:05 PM

Don't be embarassed. I probably joined and quit over a dozen times over the past 10 years. This time I've stuck it out for over 2 and finally I'm almost to goal.

livingfit426 03-09-2001 05:18 PM

I useto feel embarrassed but not anymore. They see me walk in the front door & they automatically get out the forms. I make a joke of it now. It's really not funny but that's my way of not giving up. I'm a WW from the 80's. I lost track of how many times I've rejoined.

Felicia 03-09-2001 05:24 PM

I became lifetime in 1988. That was my first time. Since then I have gone back to "start again" at least 3 times. I've lost so much weight I shouldn't even be here!!

It's just a struggle for me but these boards help alot.

Felicia

getfit 03-09-2001 07:28 PM

2nd "serious" times for me. I made goal when they switched from selections to points and somehow I couldn't get in the groove of switching over. Plus.....the real truth....I got very sloppy about journaling and going to meetings and you can guess the rest.
The points system is working good for me now and I am happy to be "back" for hopefully the final time! LOL

JanetMae 03-09-2001 08:01 PM

Burgundy, don't give up! I too was a member years ago and almost made goal, but let personal tragedy throw me off track. Regained, stayed heavy for 10+ years, though I did join a few times and quit during those years. But I rejoined 2 yrs ago, went from size 24 to size 12, am now less than 10# from goal. I finally understand what it means to live a healthy life. Finally "got it." Don't look at past attempts as failures; each time, you were learning new skills and ways of thinking that will contribute to your success, once and for all, THIS time!! You can do it; make it a high priority in your life, and go for it. All your efforts will *definitely* be worth it!! Wishing you the best! Regards, Jan

Itryharder 03-09-2001 10:28 PM

Burgundy,
Keep with it. No one is keeping track of the times you've joined but you. I personally have joined 13-15 times, I don't remember exactly. This last time which was almost a year ago clicked. I've lost almost 30 pounds and feel I am making lifestyle changes. Not everyone would be pleased with what I've accomplished, but I feel the difference this time and know it's a go! I wish you the best of luck and the strength to make this program work for you. Good luck!

234/207/slimmer

Jenny523 03-09-2001 10:41 PM

This is my 8th time....and each time I say it'll be my last.

My first attempt was on the "old " program, in 1986, or thereabouts. I lost 30 lbs. or so, and was satisfied with that.........

My 6th attempt was on "123" in April of 1999, lost 32 lbs. in time for my daughter's wedding in August of 1999, and was satisfied with that.......

Here I am again, this time it's taking much longer, but I'm not giving up.

Hang in there, you can do it!

~Jen

Karen L 03-10-2001 12:02 AM

I always joke that I need to find a new hobbie now that I'm at goal . For years I was a joiner and a quiter. Just keep going back sooner or later it will click for you.

Liza 03-10-2001 07:37 AM

No one is keeping track, Burgandy

There is no limit to trying to make changes to your life. No one at the WW center is keeping track of how often you join or how often you restart. They are keeping track of how well you are doing and are there to help you out. They are too busy concentrating on the positive achievements and finding solutions to the problems to keep track. A very good friend of mine is a receptionist at WW and she is always celbrating the successes and passing along the new ideas. I have never heard her talk about how often someone has joined WW.

I would say that your embarrassment is only with yourself and beating yourself up about being on program or not is not burning any calories and is only keeping you from getting to goal, so try to drop that behavior in exchange for learning a new one, like tracking what you are eating.

Good luck, you have not given up, otherwise we would not be posting.

Liza

livingfit426 03-10-2001 08:00 AM

Great advice Liza. I needed to read this. Thanks ;)

Lin S 03-10-2001 12:21 PM

Hi,

I long ago lost track of how many times I've joined WW.

I stopped trying to count when I realized that it doesn't matter. Each time I joined, rejoined, dug out my materials and used them on my own, or whatever, I learned something. I learned a new skill. I practiced skills I'd learned previously.

During the times I wasn't a member or wasn't following any program to lose weight, I was learning other skills. I didn't gain and gain and gain. Eventually I stopped and maintained my wieght. It wasn't the weight I wanted to maintain, but I learned something about maintaining my weight, which is a very crucial skill.

I've been following 123 off and on since 1997. I lost 50 pounds, chose not to continue to lose at that time, and maintained that loss for over a year. Then I started to stop practicing some of those skills mainly due to coping badly with stress. I regained about 20 pounds and decided I didn't want to continue to gain weight. So, I restarted 123 and have lost almost half of what I gained in a month.

What I learned from all of that is that this journey isn't an either/or journey. I'm not either at my highest weight or at my goal weight. Just because I'm not losing weight or at goal doesn't mean that I have to weight my highest weight or find an even higher level to be at. I can maintain a loss, even if I'm not at goal.

This revelation helped me to see that this is a process. And perserverance is the key. Perseverance doesn't mean that I don't have times during which I'm not OP. It means that I get back OP right away. Or, if I'm not ready, I admit that and move on to figuring out what I need to do to be ready to be OP again. I use my journal and the forums to do that.

I'm not at goal, but I will get there, whatever that goal may turn out to be. I can see that in my future, even if I don't know when. But it doesn't matter how many times I've joined. What matters is that I haven't given up.

Lin
272/233/lower

Kaym 03-10-2001 12:48 PM

Don't give up. I have joined and lost 60 lbs three times in the last 15 years. In between the big losses, I rejoined and quit some too. I joined again in September and have lost 50 lbs. This time I hope to get to my goal.

Bensmom419 03-10-2001 02:10 PM

Burgandy:

You should congratulate yourself for walking through the doors and joining again! What you did was huge. I believe this was my 6th time joining WW. Mind you, I was at goal one time and I just didn't get it. This time I joined it "clicked." I knew I was going to do it this time. I just accepted that what I was doing was a lifestyle not a diet. I firmly believe if you can adopt that attitude, you will be successful. I have found that the Tools for Healthy Living are very helpful. I have gone from a size 14 to a 6. I have been at goal for seven months and I am now a Leader.

Good Luck with the program and don't beat yourself up because you joined again. You are a success not a failure! I read a really good poem that I would like to share with you. I hope you enjoy it.

Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in;
FORGET THEM as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day;
Begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit
to be combered with your old nonsense.
It is too dear, with its hopes and invitations; to waste a moment on yesterday. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Keep us posted on your brand new journey!

Monica