3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   buy new books?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/234134-buy-new-books.html)

blissfulmommy 05-26-2011 12:31 PM

buy new books??

I was wondering if it was worth it to buy the newest set of WW program books or can I get by if I just use an app on my phone? I am doing this at home without any form of official support. I have WW cookbooks and an older set of books (2006). Not sure if I really need the books or will my app give me all the needed information on points. Thanks :)

Jinksie 05-26-2011 01:06 PM

which books were you looking at?
i bought the dining out book and complere food guide when i was going to quit - thinking i'd have to just use the books to track on alone. they offered me the online option for a price we could afford, so those 2 books are kind of wasted now.
I do look at the dining out guide, just a pure amazement

blissfulmommy 05-26-2011 01:19 PM

the new basic starter kit for 2011. Some have said the program hasn't really changed just new items in the books. But if the app will cover it then I don't really see the need for the books.

QuilterInVA 05-26-2011 03:01 PM

The old books do not work with the phone ap. You really need new ones if you want to do that.

Jinksie 05-26-2011 03:09 PM

the app covers everything. And if it doesn't then the calculator in the app does.

maggieS 05-26-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blissfulmommy (Post 3865930)
I was wondering if it was worth it to buy the newest set of WW program books or can I get by if I just use an app on my phone? I am doing this at home without any form of official support. I have WW cookbooks and an older set of books (2006). Not sure if I really need the books or will my app give me all the needed information on points. Thanks :)

Hi,

I am doing this at home also without official support. I downloaded a calculator on my phone that calculates but does not track (even though it is supposed to.) I have done WW in the past, but this new program is really different.

I am planning to buy the deluxe kit. I think it is crucial, especially if I am not going to meetings. Hopefully will be able to afford to officially join and go to meetings at some point, just not possible for us right now.

Anyway, I think the kit is needed because I am never positive if my phone app is calculating correctly, don't know if I should completely trust it as I would the WW one. I also think the Getting started book is important as it fully explains the program.

Following the program using info I have gotten from friends, the internet and my phone app has been great so far. I lost 2 pounds my first WI. But I am really looking forward to having the exact info. I need, like the GHG, which is something that I know from past experience are very important. It isn't just about points, it is about eating the right foods to make up those points.

I told my daughter I think I love this plan because it gives you structure, but with freedom, more choices than other plans.

My vote would be buy the books if you can. If you can't (which I totally get), do the best you can and use the app on your phone.

Good luck with whatever you decide, we are all in this together and I wish you lots of success!

Maggie

blissfulmommy 05-26-2011 05:09 PM

Thank you so much. Meetings aren't an option due to how far they are and the cost of gas. I think I might be able to do the online in July and purchase the basic starter kit from Ebay. But for now I think I will use my old books just to get me started then move to the new program in July. With three birthdays (kids and hubby) plus Father's Day any extras are on hold. :) But at least I can start.

maggieS 05-26-2011 09:50 PM

Absolutely! I wouldn't wait to start. Good luck!

Maggie