3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   WW Pedometer (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/229611-ww-pedometer.html)

Snoofie 04-02-2011 10:10 AM

WW Pedometer

I walk every single day, most days for an hour. And even when I'm home I'm always on the move, doing *something*. But I would love to know exactly *how* much I'm moving, as well as knowing how many activity points I'm building up. (I'm not...very good at the whole estimating thing.)

Anyway. I've seen WW pedometers at my weekly meetings and was wondering if anyone here has one, and what they're like. The ones sold at my meetings apparently track your activity points as you exercise, and I'm thinking about buying one.

But I'd like to know first how well they work. So, if anyone here has one, could you share your experience? Thanks!

BlueEyes83 04-04-2011 11:05 AM

I have one and love it. I never realized before how few steps I took a day. Now that I have the pedometer I make myself walk at least the recommended steps (10,000). I earn about 4-6 points everyday just from walking around but I never use them. Worth the investment IMO :D

pageta 04-04-2011 01:13 PM

I have a pedometer but not a WW one. I love it. It helps me keep track of how active I am. I really enjoy watching the steps count up and seeing how active I am. I like that it gives me a way of seeing how active (or not active) I've been. I try to take 5000 steps beyond what I get during my workout every day. In the winter I'm lucky to get 3000 steps, but in the summer, I average well over 5000 steps. I track my daily step count in Excel and it's nice to see what I've done over time. I have an Omron pedometer I got on Amazon.com. I don't ever eat my activity points, so it's more for interest sake to see how many steps I've taken.

ATXchic924 04-06-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pageta (Post 3790751)
I track my daily step count in Excel and it's nice to see what I've done over time.

You sound like my kind of girl. I track everything in Excel. lol.

I was in my meeting yesterday and was thinking about getting the pedometer, glad that you started this post!

I know that I want one, just not sure if I want the weight watcher one or just a cheap one. Does anyone know how expensive the weight watcher pedometer is?

pageta 04-06-2011 01:28 PM

The one I have (not WW) was about $25 on amazon.

kelijpa 04-08-2011 07:31 PM

I have lifefitness by omron, got it at cvs, it lets you download the info to your computer

you're right about realizing how few steps you're actually getting, I'm doing the same, when I go on the treadmill I make myself stay on until I get to 10K, so that should motivate me to get more steps in before I get there !

best to all :sunny:

Jinksie 04-08-2011 10:52 PM

You can get a regular pedometer. The e-tools activity tracker offers a step count :)
i dont personally know about the quality of the WW pedometer, but some people have complained about the calcultors being poor quality. Perhaps the pedometers are the same?
i used a pedometer i got on ebay for cheap - supposed to be one of the more acurate pedometers (some can be as far off as 80), mine also will count steps if for whatever reason, its on its side, so you can put it in your bag, instead of on your hip.
Shop around, see if there are any specific features you might want

LisaP916 04-09-2011 05:43 PM

We got a coupon at our weekly meeting for $5 off the WW pedometer so I bought it today. Cost me $16. I've walked 9000 steps so far today and earned 6 AP!

DrivenByAmbition 04-09-2011 06:19 PM

Would you count how many steps you make in a day towards activity points, or would you count steps you have deliberately made (such as going for long, fast-paced walk)?

Jinksie 04-09-2011 07:40 PM

i personally dont count daily stuff as AP.... i only count things i do deliberately

LisaP916 04-09-2011 08:12 PM

I don't use my AP points anyway, but I'm going to enter my pedometer total at the end of the day. Those steps include running stairs to do laundry and walking my dog several times each day. It's easier to just put the total rather than figure out what was what. If I were using the points, I would be more precise.

DrivenByAmbition 04-09-2011 09:14 PM

Just curious... Seems like a very good idea.

LisaP916 04-10-2011 09:00 AM

I have already found the pedometer motivating. I took my dog out this morning, and normally it's a quick little jaunt so he can do his business. This morning I thought, "Hmm... I wonder how farit is form here to there?" So I tracked it on the ped. It was .31 miles. I said to myself, "Well, if I walk him a little further, till I get to .5 miles, then I walk home, that will be one mile!" So I did.

And if I walk him that way twice a day (my husband and I take turns, becuase he goes out about four to five times a day), then I'll get two miles a day in, just walking the dog. Who knew?!

Not a bad way to start a Sunday morning!

DrivenByAmbition 04-10-2011 10:13 AM

That's great. You don't even realize it. Great that you measured it out.

LisaP916 04-10-2011 01:53 PM

I did two rounds of grocery shopping today - on at BJ's and one at the regular store. Rather than just blitz the store, I walked up and down every aisle to increase my steps for the day. It's kind of fun to see that number go up up up!