3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   Greek yogurt (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/228307-greek-yogurt.html)

river 03-18-2011 08:08 AM

Greek yogurt

Morning all! I'm looking for ideas on how to use my plain greek yogurt. Anyone have any good ones?

Jinksie 03-18-2011 08:14 AM

i eat it, as is :) OH... wait.. i know this sounds like some random way to eat something, but i eat a banana with it, and dip the banana in like a spoon... the texture is incredible!

Keli10801 03-18-2011 08:50 AM

Use it on a baked potato, or use it instead of milk in mashed potatoes.
I like to mix the plain with thin sliced cucumbers and onions with a little sea salt and pepper for a salad dish.

river 03-18-2011 09:17 AM

Good ideas, thanks!

joyc21 03-18-2011 09:55 AM

I like as it is or with fruit. I also use it in place of sour cream in nacho dip or on taco salad.

pointspluspioneer 03-18-2011 10:10 AM

I put granola in it for crunch! My mother also came up with a brainstorm!! You can put regular yogurt in a strainer over night and it's EXACTLY like greek yogurt, but MUCH cheaper. She did it with the large size strawberry, it was delicious....just a little tid bit i'd thought i'd share ;)

Spooky 03-18-2011 10:32 AM

Wow, I would never have thought of that! You put it in a strainer in the refrigerator overnight? I usually buy chobani (which is awesome but more expensive). I wonder if it would change the points value? I know greek yogurt usually has more points than the regular fat free kind.

pointspluspioneer 03-18-2011 10:36 AM

It would be less but you wouldnt get as much protien that's the only problem but much cheaper and lower pt snack. She puts a paper towel on the bottom of the strainer then the yogurt i believe. Or paper towel in the bowl, paper towel somewhere lol!!!! You decide lol!!

Phae 03-18-2011 11:36 AM

I may sound dumb, but what is the difference between Greek yogurt and regular yogurt? Is it the texture? Taste?

Munchy 03-18-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phae (Post 3764111)
I may sound dumb, but what is the difference between Greek yogurt and regular yogurt? Is it the texture? Taste?

Greek yogurt is usually thicker (like sour cream) and I think it tastes richer and creamier. It also has A LOT more protein so it has a better nutritional bang for your buck (Activia is 4g, while Chobani has 18g).

I always buy chobani nonfat and use it as sour cream most of the time by eating it plain, or make a crema (squeeze of fresh lime juice and some cilantro) to top any "Tex Mex" flavored foods/chili or I replace sour cream with it in dips or other recipes. I use it to thicken soups and make them creamy by stirring in a spoonful in my bowl after heating.

I'm not a big yogurt fan, but my three year old daughter does like to eat it unsweetened with some berries thrown in, or sometimes with some honey mixed in.

nlm1106 03-18-2011 12:15 PM

I have heard of doing this before but I read you are supposed to put a strainer over a bowl and put a coffee filter inside the strainer. Put the yogurt in the coffee filter and let it sit in the fridge overnight. I've never tried it myself though, I also usually just buy the Chobani.

pointspluspioneer 03-18-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlm1106 (Post 3764153)
I have heard of doing this before but I read you are supposed to put a strainer over a bowl and put a coffee filter inside the strainer. Put the yogurt in the coffee filter and let it sit in the fridge overnight. I've never tried it myself though, I also usually just buy the Chobani.

Yes! I just think she used a paper towel and it worked as well, you are correct :D I never heard of it so i was making fun of my mum then I tried it, it's awesome!!

Jinksie 03-18-2011 12:19 PM

i buy dannon vanila... wasnt keen on the honey

jayohwhy 03-18-2011 12:25 PM

I put ranch mix in it and eat it as dip with veggies!

uncontentgirl 03-18-2011 01:50 PM

you can use it in place of dairy (heavy cream) in sauces and such. also, for smoothies.

LitChick 03-19-2011 07:08 PM

I :love: greek yogurt!

One of my regular breakfasts is a cup of nonfat plain yogurt, 1/4 cup Uncle Sam cereal (you could use any low/no sugar cereal - my husband uses Fiber One) and 1 cup frozen blueberries (defrosted). YUM and keeps me satisfied until lunch.

I also use the yogurt as a base for dips (mixed with salsa or dried ranch dip), marinades (like tandoori).

I eat nonfat flavored yogurt as an afternoon snack with an apple. Chobani's lemon and vanilla are my favorite; my husband likes the fruit-on-the-bottom kinds.

MusicalJess 03-19-2011 07:21 PM

With a tsp of honey and a handful or dried cranberries. Very yummy for breakfast

river 03-19-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LitChick (Post 3765929)
I :love: greek yogurt!

One of my regular breakfasts is a cup of nonfat plain yogurt, 1/4 cup Uncle Sam cereal (you could use any low/no sugar cereal - my husband uses Fiber One) and 1 cup frozen blueberries (defrosted). YUM and keeps me satisfied until lunch.

Thanks to all who made suggestions.

I'm going to try this one in the morning, I'm looking for a quickly digested meal prerun and this looks like it may fit the bill. I've been doing eggs/laughing cow/whole eggs + coffee w/almond milk, but it doesn't sit well during long runs.

LitChick 03-19-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by river (Post 3765979)
Thanks to all who made suggestions.

I'm going to try this one in the morning, I'm looking for a quickly digested meal prerun and this looks like it may fit the bill. I've been doing eggs/laughing cow/whole eggs + coffee w/almond milk, but it doesn't sit well during long runs.

Let me know how it works for you. Personally, before a run is the one time I can't eat this for breakfast. I don't know which part of this meal combo causes stomach upset when I do, but after a couple of really bad running experiences (nausea, cramping), I nixed this for running and stick to toast with PB or an egg. Eggs don't bother me when I run so maybe the yogurt won't bother you! :)

Tomorrow morning I am running 13.1 and will have toast with PB and a banana a couple of hours before the run.

river 03-20-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LitChick (Post 3766013)
Let me know how it works for you. Personally, before a run is the one time I can't eat this for breakfast. I don't know which part of this meal combo causes stomach upset when I do, but after a couple of really bad running experiences (nausea, cramping), I nixed this for running and stick to toast with PB or an egg. Eggs don't bother me when I run so maybe the yogurt won't bother you! :)

Tomorrow morning I am running 13.1 and will have toast with PB and a banana a couple of hours before the run.

I chickened out after reading your post and had my usual plus another half eng muffin w/pb. If the yogurt causes any distress it could screw up my run, and I've got a long one today too. Are you running 13.1 miles or km? Great work!

LitChick 03-20-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by river (Post 3766378)
I chickened out after reading your post and had my usual plus another half eng muffin w/pb. If the yogurt causes any distress it could screw up my run, and I've got a long one today too. Are you running 13.1 miles or km? Great work!

LOL, good - I would have felt bad if you'd felt like I do, especially with a long run. I ran in a half marathon this morning - 13.1 miles. I think it's the dairy that my stomach does not like when it's too close to exercise. I had some chocolate milk after the finish (it's all the rage as the best post-race recovery drink now and they were giving it out) and had the same stomach issues. So, lesson learned!

abercrombiemom03 03-20-2011 10:55 PM

I love it as sour cream and I put it in smoothies. I love Greek Yogurt. I buy the 12 pack of Chobani greek yogurt at Costco for just under $11, which is a better price then buying them individually

Jennifer 3FC 03-21-2011 10:42 AM

In reference to making greek style yogurt with regular yogurt to save money, I had hoped to do that, but found that I was about dead even with the price of a large container of each. Once the regular yogurt strained out, I only had about half of it left. Maybe different brands vary - I had Dannon FF.

pointspluspioneer 03-21-2011 10:55 AM

My mother said Shaws or Stop and Shop brand work, Walmart doesn't drain a drop lol

Jennifer 3FC 03-21-2011 11:02 AM

How much drains though - is it worth the cost? Dannon drains just fine, but once it's drained, in the end, my price is the same. A store brand might make the difference though, I'll try one of those.

Scorpio1986 03-21-2011 05:25 PM

I made banana bread and realized I didnt have sour cream that the recipe called for, so i subbed in plain greek yogurt, worked great!

pointspluspioneer 03-22-2011 09:10 AM

My mother got the large container and it was more that 3/4 full after draining the store brand.

Jennifer 3FC 03-22-2011 09:21 AM

Ok, thanks!

And now I have a new question that occurred to me in the shower (where all great questions are born!)- is it safe enough to use points on a Greek yogurt container if the fat content is the same? Draining the yogurt would completely change the nutritional values of what's on the regular yogurt label, and I don't know the composition of the drained whey - protein, water, carbs, etc.

pointspluspioneer 03-22-2011 10:31 AM

That i'm not sure how you could figure out. My mother isn't doing ww, she was just looking for a cheaper way to make it. Good point though.

Is it really good as sour cream or kinda good on a potato lol??!!!

Jennifer 3FC 03-22-2011 10:37 AM

I think it tastes different from sour cream, but a totally acceptable replacement. My mom used to blend in a little lemon juice with hers to make it more tangy. I don't like FF sour cream at all. This has a different taste, but it tastes 'real'. When I use it on a potato, I also use loads of cracked black pepper and scallions and a few sprays of butter spray. Sometimes hot sauce!

LosinJen 03-22-2011 08:34 PM

I mix in a packet of dry veggie dip and eat it with my veggies. Yummo! :carrot:

lauriebug81 03-22-2011 09:21 PM

I just tried greek yogurt recently and I love it. I like the texture, taste and everything about it. :)

pointspluspioneer 03-22-2011 10:26 PM

Oh you know what else i did to make it like mousse? I put in a packet of the 25 calorie Swiss Miss hot chocolate, but next time i would use only half the packet. It was sooo good!

wendyland 03-23-2011 10:01 AM

I add frozen blueberries and cinnamon and a pinch of sugar. I love the wild blueberries at Trader Joes. They're smaller and really have a fresh flavor. Fage is my favorite. I keep trying other brands, but they all seem too tangy.

Jennifer 3FC 03-23-2011 11:07 AM

Mousse!? I don't see the post that's referring to. :hun:
How much SF hot cocoa to how much yogurt? Did you add anything else? My DH will love something moussey, and I need to make it up to him. I made HORRIBLE mousse for his birthday.

M3lissa 03-23-2011 12:09 PM

Hello all! I love fat free chobani or Fage yogurt! I either have 1/2 cup of the yogurt with a tablespoon of chunky all natural peanut butter mixed in...or I dice half of a green apple, mix it with 1/2 cup of the yogurt and put dark chocolate chips in it (maybe about 8 chips) I add splenda to taste.:carrot:

Tejas 03-23-2011 12:37 PM

I eat Oikos Greek yogurt. Individual size is 80 calories, no fat, 15 grams of protein. I add all kinds of things, depending upon the time of day. For breakfast, I add Kashi cereals of some kind, with sugar free jams.

Delicious!

nlm1106 03-24-2011 07:42 PM

I love Greek yogurt, but I wanted to mention a new love of mine, Skyr, Icelandic yogurt. I just tried it this week when I saw it at Whole Foods and it is awesome. It's very creamy and is also made from strained skim milk, similar to Greek yogurt. The brand I tried is skyr.is, which I think it only available at Whole Foods but I also saw a brand called Siggi's I am now dying to try. Siggis's has really interesting looking flavors like orange ginger and pomegranate passion fruit. I highly recommend trying it.

pointspluspioneer 03-24-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC (Post 3771247)
Mousse!? I don't see the post that's referring to. :hun:
How much SF hot cocoa to how much yogurt? Did you add anything else? My DH will love something moussey, and I need to make it up to him. I made HORRIBLE mousse for his birthday.

I used vanilla Chobani and added a packet of the 25 calorie Swiss Miss hot chocolate, it's where the regular hot chocolate is. But because it hasa sometimes funny after taste, i would use less than the whole packet. Good though! U could also use sugar free pudding added to the yogurt.

Jennifer 3FC 03-24-2011 11:42 PM

Thanks, Ma'am! :)