3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   Greek yogurt (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/228307-greek-yogurt.html)

river 03-18-2011 08:08 AM

Greek yogurt

Morning all! I'm looking for ideas on how to use my plain greek yogurt. Anyone have any good ones?

Jinksie 03-18-2011 08:14 AM

i eat it, as is :) OH... wait.. i know this sounds like some random way to eat something, but i eat a banana with it, and dip the banana in like a spoon... the texture is incredible!

Keli10801 03-18-2011 08:50 AM

Use it on a baked potato, or use it instead of milk in mashed potatoes.
I like to mix the plain with thin sliced cucumbers and onions with a little sea salt and pepper for a salad dish.

river 03-18-2011 09:17 AM

Good ideas, thanks!

joyc21 03-18-2011 09:55 AM

I like as it is or with fruit. I also use it in place of sour cream in nacho dip or on taco salad.

pointspluspioneer 03-18-2011 10:10 AM

I put granola in it for crunch! My mother also came up with a brainstorm!! You can put regular yogurt in a strainer over night and it's EXACTLY like greek yogurt, but MUCH cheaper. She did it with the large size strawberry, it was delicious....just a little tid bit i'd thought i'd share ;)

Spooky 03-18-2011 10:32 AM

Wow, I would never have thought of that! You put it in a strainer in the refrigerator overnight? I usually buy chobani (which is awesome but more expensive). I wonder if it would change the points value? I know greek yogurt usually has more points than the regular fat free kind.

pointspluspioneer 03-18-2011 10:36 AM

It would be less but you wouldnt get as much protien that's the only problem but much cheaper and lower pt snack. She puts a paper towel on the bottom of the strainer then the yogurt i believe. Or paper towel in the bowl, paper towel somewhere lol!!!! You decide lol!!

Phae 03-18-2011 11:36 AM

I may sound dumb, but what is the difference between Greek yogurt and regular yogurt? Is it the texture? Taste?

Munchy 03-18-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phae (Post 3764111)
I may sound dumb, but what is the difference between Greek yogurt and regular yogurt? Is it the texture? Taste?

Greek yogurt is usually thicker (like sour cream) and I think it tastes richer and creamier. It also has A LOT more protein so it has a better nutritional bang for your buck (Activia is 4g, while Chobani has 18g).

I always buy chobani nonfat and use it as sour cream most of the time by eating it plain, or make a crema (squeeze of fresh lime juice and some cilantro) to top any "Tex Mex" flavored foods/chili or I replace sour cream with it in dips or other recipes. I use it to thicken soups and make them creamy by stirring in a spoonful in my bowl after heating.

I'm not a big yogurt fan, but my three year old daughter does like to eat it unsweetened with some berries thrown in, or sometimes with some honey mixed in.

nlm1106 03-18-2011 12:15 PM

I have heard of doing this before but I read you are supposed to put a strainer over a bowl and put a coffee filter inside the strainer. Put the yogurt in the coffee filter and let it sit in the fridge overnight. I've never tried it myself though, I also usually just buy the Chobani.

pointspluspioneer 03-18-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlm1106 (Post 3764153)
I have heard of doing this before but I read you are supposed to put a strainer over a bowl and put a coffee filter inside the strainer. Put the yogurt in the coffee filter and let it sit in the fridge overnight. I've never tried it myself though, I also usually just buy the Chobani.

Yes! I just think she used a paper towel and it worked as well, you are correct :D I never heard of it so i was making fun of my mum then I tried it, it's awesome!!

Jinksie 03-18-2011 12:19 PM

i buy dannon vanila... wasnt keen on the honey

jayohwhy 03-18-2011 12:25 PM

I put ranch mix in it and eat it as dip with veggies!

uncontentgirl 03-18-2011 01:50 PM

you can use it in place of dairy (heavy cream) in sauces and such. also, for smoothies.