Old 03-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy SO Upset After Weigh in Saturday

I am sooo upset after weigh in Saturday morning! I did sooo well all week, not using all my weeklies, not drinking much and only ate out once las Saturday and when i went to weigh in i was 2.6 UP after a 2.8 LOSS last week I'm not sure if it's because i had some food Friday night, where i usually don't eat much after very light dinner. I know TOM isn't too far away but i would think it would be this week the effects. I'm just sooo bummed out and makes me think i can't do this anymore. It's like i lost how to do the plan after a week like that and that i can't get back on track

Last edited by pointspluspioneer; 03-14-2011 at 04:06 PM.
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

As I have mentioned in other threads, I love the WW diet, but had to quit because the pressure of the weekly weigh-ins did me in! I now weigh myself at my gym every 2-3-4 weeks, and it is working for me. I have lost 22 pounds in four months, and I am happy.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248/167/150

Height: 5'6

There are going to be ups and downs unfortunately. People dont realize that losing weight isnt just about losing weight... it is this mental anguish and torment we are all putting ourselves through. You will be fine and you will get through it i am certain. You are eating in a way where it is a new lifestyle... a healthier one! and your body is thanking you for that alone. Losing the weight along the way is the bonus of it all. I let the scale at home dictate how my day will be. If i see a gain... i am in a bad mood, of i see a loss... i am elated and happy. I realized a short while ago, that i cant do that anymore to myself. This is a JOURNEY! and i feel great for what i am doing for myself. I just have to be patient to reap the rewards of all this hard work.

Perhaps take a look at what you have been eating? have you been tracking all your foods properly? Maybe start this week back at day 1 and start over with tracking if you havent been. Do you measure your food? TOM is not very nice to us all, so maybe that is the culprit. Sodium... its horrible, water weight maybe? You said you werent drinking much... that could be an issue right there. You gotta drink water like your a camel and storing it for an emergency... i hated drinking water... well i love it now!
mercuryblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #4  
foodie on a diet!

S/C/G: 180.2/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

dont be discouraged! the gain could be from a number of things, some of which mercury mentions above: TOM, lack of water, too much sodium.

another suggestion i make is to calorie count for a few weeks and check to see if maybe you are eating too little or too many calories. i use livestrong.com and i love it because it lets you see the percentage of sodium, carbs, fat and protein you are taking in....
uncontentgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Trust me when I say I know all about gains! I've had 5 or 6 gains, a couple of them were 5lbs or more. I know how discouraging it can be but you HAVE to keep pushing on because if I didn't give up you can't either! *Hugs*
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #6  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Try not to let it derail you from your plan - that definitely won't help!

It can be hard not to let the scale affect your outlook, but if you are following the plan (getting in your GHGs, watching portion sizes, tracking, etc.) then focus on the positives; you are doing what you are supposed to and the scale will catch up. There are going to be bumps along the road and an isolated gain is not worth throwing in the towel over. One thing that helped me in the past is to look at my weight loss over the period of a month and look for patterns in my weight loss, rather than one individual week. I may have had a small loss one week, a gain the next, and a good loss another, and maybe another small loss, so I was still averaging a good loss for that period.

You might also want to look at your sodium intake. I have found that to be the culprit for me a lot of times - processed/prepackaged foods and restaurant foods are typically high in sodium.

Stay strong, you can do this!
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

I agree with LitChick. It's hard to not focus on the scale so much -- and I am guilty of it too -- but if you're doing everything right just keep going and it will all catch up to you. Don't give up.

Do everything right this week, too, and see what happens.
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Any time I've had "unexplained" gains, it's been due to sodium causing me to retain water. I have unexplained in quotes because I knew when I was eating the food that I would probably have a gain the next day, but did it anyway. If I did everything else right that week, I lost a ton the next week because I lost the water weight and the fat loss showed up too.

Just keep at it. Persistence is the only reason I've lost as much as I have this time. All the other times I had such an all or nothing attitude and where did that get me? I would lose 10 lbs or less, make bad choices for 1 meal or 1 day and then the diet was over. What I've learned this time is that any time I have a bad meal, day, weigh in, etc. I don't gain anything from giving up except weight. So, I might as well just keep doing what I'm doing and eventually I'll see results.
Shades of Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #9  
Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

S/C/G: 331/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Don't give up!!! I did have a gain, but a really "small" loss of .8, but I had done so much to try and make it a big week. I was so upset. But I reflected on it, blogging made it easier to get to the root of my frustrations.

Now I am doing ww with calorie counting (with a Bodybugg). I have done much better with this. I really love WW, but I think I was still eating too many calories.

Just keep at it!!!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #10  

Thanks! I do weigh and measure my foods, i've done much better at losing since i have done online tracking for the past 4-5 weeks. I'm very careful about sodium as i blow up constantly from water. I did weigh myself this morning and i am almost back down. I just really need to focus and not eat Friday nights, i did have too much fri night which probably kept with me for Sat morning. I also have cut WAY back in eating out, i usually only eat out on Sat. now and have drinks only on Sat. Now that it's nicer out, i've been trying to walk outside and tonight am walking the mall for 2 hrs with a friend.
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #11  
Less of a Better Me

I have found that it works best for me to be consistent with what I do each week. That is, if I went out dinner and used a lot of weekly points every Friday night (I weigh in on Saturdays) I would probably have huge gain the next day for the first week. But after the first week if I ate ate on Friday night and weighed in the next day the weigh in would compare me to the prior Saturday where I ate out the day before. But if one week I eat nothing Friday night then the next day I have a very unrealistic weight loss that isn't really reflective of much.

I do avoid eating out on Fridays but I also avoid trying to not eat at all Friday evenings. I consistently eat "normally" Friday nights so every Saturday weigh in follows a "normal" night before.

When you eat out make sure that you realize just how bad restaurant food can be. I prefer to mostly go to places that have nutritional info online (and, boy, is that scary!). I have to go out tomorrow to a restaurant without it but I will be careful to eat foods that are fairly plain (not a lot of sauces) so it is easier to find generic information.

I also second the idea of calorie counting for at least a week or two. I use livestrong and record everything there and also at WW and have found it very valuable.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote