Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #1  

Lightbulb Christmas Losers! Walk the Talk! 7 weeks - set 10 goals!

OK, this is ecumenical, I just like that eye catching title. You can call this Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or New Year or a 7 week challenge!

Step One: SET Goals, you need 10 goals to acheive by Dec. 25th
Step Two: You need to stop in here at least every other day or every third day to give an update and talk about what you have done to acheive those goals. Copy the goals you write for yourself here and post them in your home, so you will remember what they are and they are "in your face". I'm taping mine to my bathroom mirror.
Step Three: Walk the talk. I'm guilty here. I come here and say I blew it, I'm off the wagon, oh my, oh what have I done wrong.... whine, whine, whine, and it's high time I stopped playing games and either s____ or get off the pot! Are you with me?

Here are my 10 goals, they truly are something I can do and there are no excuses:

1. Walk, either on the treadmill or at the mall or in a neighborhood, I can do this. I will walk at least 3 - 4 times a week. I will make time for it.
2. I will not pass through the kitchen and grab cookies, cookies are not for me. They are for the other people in this house. Pretzels are permissible about every 3 or 4 days only. I will make and keep air popped popcorn in zip lock bags for myself, so the "oh, I need it now and I'm in a hurry" thing won't happen.
3. Meal planning, If I make a plan I generally stick with it, but the plan needs to be made each day. So, today is day one and I will have a written plan in place for the entire day.
4. Do not allow other family members to get in the way of my success. This is where I am very bad and their insistence at ordering out for pizza and picking up Chinese food are just not right for me. There are healthier choices at these places for me, but I give in to be "part of the party". Good luck to them if they want to be eating like that, but I have to do better.
5. Forgiveness. There will be Thanksgiving and a few holiday celebrations with all kinds of food. I know this and I forgive myself for those special occasions, but every day is not a special occasion. Get that? Every day is NOT a special occasion. There may be three or four "special occasions" in the next 7 weeks, not one every day.
6. Experiment, you have been reading a great deal about raw foods and vegans and pretending you are doing certain things, but you have not changed your diet a single bit. You just read. You don't have to convert to an entirely new thing, but you can try a few things and improve your over-all diet and get as far away from processed foods as you can. Tinkerbell is not going to come in and wave her magic wand at you and suddenly a spa chef will show up and make it happen, you have to make it happen.
7. You have a certain number of points (or calories) that are in your range for each day. You know this and you continually "forget" to write it all down and then wonder why you can't drop these extra pounds. Write it down. You look at a serving and guess that it's a proper serving size, measure it. If you are still hungry at the end of a meal, popcorn, water and fruit.
8. Get back to a few WW meetings. Going to those meetings does truly help inspire. But, you know you are very very busy and the approaching holiday season is going to get out of control. Forgiveness for not going is important, but that doesn't give you permission to get out of control.
9. Read your "lite" and WW cookbooks, try those recipes for fun and see what happens. Goal is to try at least one new recipe per week. If you are busy, try a crock pot recipe.
10. Read these goals over at least once every two or three days and remind yourself of what you need to do.

For me, that is is. This was an lecture to myself, written here for all to see. If I put myself out there, I may actually get someplace. But, I need other people who are enthusiastic and want this. I need people to bring me back when I stray. I need someone who joins in to even send me a private message if they don't see me post for two or three days and prod me and say, "Where are you and what are you doing? Are you eating?"

Thanks and I hope a few of us can do this together. I had a funeral (an unpleasant reminder of what can happen when a life is not well lived) to attend over the weekend and 95% of my dress clothes didn't fit when I was getting ready to go. I intend to fit back into my own clothes and go shopping for a new suit that looks fabulous on me that could take me out to dinner, to a meeting or to a funeral if need be.

Hugs to all!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #2  
fat burner

S/C/G: 178/159.8/135

Height: 5'2

I'd love to join!!!

My 10 goals are:

1. To be HONEST with myself about my eating. I can't continue pretending that excuses like holidays/special occassions are permissable reasons to eat! This may be okay for some people but I can learn to enjoy myself in different ways.

2. LOG everything I eat. I'm generally very good at this but I have to be VERY careful. Not eating much is not a reason to stop logging. Points add up quickly and I need to keep track of everything!

3. Stick to my POINT count. Using up my flex points is okay but I need to plan plan plan so that I don't underestimate and then eat over my points for the day.

4. Stay focused on my 1800 minutes of exercise this month! Force myself even when I don't feel like it to exercise! Walk, aerobics, yoga, run there are tons of options so I can't say that i'm bored.

5. Do this PLAN for ME and nobody else. Just cause DH or the fam eats takeout, treats or anything WW unfriendly doesn't mean that I have to. Make good decisions for myself and not follow the pack just cause they do it.

6. Be PATIENT about my weight loss. I've lost 15 already so I'm approaching goal at a steady pace. Don't get overwhelmed about the process and be gratefull that i've made it this far and just keep doin it!

7. Prepare more MEAL for myself. I must stop relying on whatever is made for me and then complain that everyone is sabatoging my PLAN. If I don't like it and/or it isn't a good choice for me then I should figure out another alterative for myself.

8. Allow myself the opportunity to splurge a little at Christmas assuming that I don't go overboard. Eating should be balanced and so, I shouldn't NEED to overeat to enjoy myself! Eating is only one aspect of that holiday.

9. Do some research about healthy eating. Find some good WW friendly recipe's and actually try them for a change. Stop relying on the same old recipes but in smalled portions.. obviously this hasn't worked for me in the past. That food is what got be fat in the first place.

10. Eat 3 whole meals per day - no excuses! Don't go back to my old habits of 1 HUGE meal per day. This is partly why I ballooned up to almost 180 in the first place. Be smart, diligent and logical about my meals. Breakfast, lunch and Dinner. Make time for each of those very important meals!!

Old 11-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #3  

LaurieMae! WELCOME and those are great goals! Paste them up someplace!
We can do this!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #4  
fat burner

Thanks!

I just had a look at your ticker and we're at the exact same weight!
Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

Wow! I could literally copy a lot of yours OP! Thanks for the inspiration its definately do or die time for me!

1. You bite it you write it. Im guilty of thinking Im doing so well then wondering why there is no progress. Well that pack of M+Ms you snuck in or an extra granola bar or pkg of cocoa didnt go unnoticed by the scale!

2. Excercise in some form every other day. Dont push yourself to do it daily bc then you wont be able to move the following day. Do what you can but at the same time DO WHAT YOU CAN dont just sit there and use this same tired excuse of you cant bc of your health issue. Yes its part of your life and you have to work around it but it doesnt have to control you.

3. WATER is now your best friend. Dont you feel so good when you drink it!? So, drink it! No Pepsi! Not even one at your moms because then you want it and you over do it.

4. Read and learn more about being Gluten Free but also DO IT. As Op said try a new recipe now and then. Start switching stuff over. Use up the non GF foods (in proper portion of course) and get rid of em so you can start fresh soon.

5. Keep up the meal plan its a lot of work but its working!

6. Dont give in to eating out when with friends/family. Youve went 2 months without that crap dont put it back in your body/mind. You dont have to go out to eat to show your mom you love her for her Bday thats just something your sister wants to do. You need to change your emotional connection to food and not let others control you.

7. Dont over do it on the special days. Why would you eat 3 x as much just because its Thanksgiving. Have a small taste of everything and lots of veggies!

8. I know tis the time for baking but stop buying brownie mix and stuff for cakes, cookies whatever. Two BIG slip ups this week because you wanted to bake. It wasnt worth it. You are self sabotoging because you knew you were doing well so heres some cookies and apple cake to derail that. Shame on you for succeding.....from not on NO shame on you for not wanting to succed!

9. EAT You over eat because you dont eat in a timely fashion. I dont care if what you planned doesnt sound as good now. Either eat it or make something else right away but eat so you dont binge this afternoon.

10. The past is the past. You cant change it. But you CAN change tomorrows past so DO IT NOW!
Old 11-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #6  

Lookingformeagain, what great goals!
You know, we are actually yelling at ourselves a bit here and I, for one, felt so good to get it out on paper (it's now printed and taped to my mirror!) and look at it.
Laurie, and I am also 5'2" tall, just like you. We are exactly the same height and same weight. I'm 54, not meaning to pry, but how old are you? I wonder how many points you get a day? Due to my age as well as activity level, I get 21 points a day. I find it very hard to stick to those 21 points and I need to concentrate on what they call those filling foods a bit. My food "staying power" is just not existent.
Also, LFMA, I like to bake as well and can't resist things like that. It's very hard. I also am a quilter and attend guild and workshop meetings. There is always food there and I have a very hard time resisting. I got to a big meeting on Monday and I'm going to bring my own snack this time and stay away from the food tables. I signed up to bake, but that doesn't mean I have to eat it.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:33 AM   #7  
fat burner

derrydaughter, I get 22 points per day and i'm 27yo.

Also, I posted a super long reflection type thing about the goal setting in my blog. It's SUPER long and I don't wanna flood up this thread! If you wanna read it just check it out!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #8  

Laurie, I enjoyed reading that post to your blog. I wouldn't have minded if it was here on this thread at all. However, if the thread ends up having more people joining in and participating, we might have to be a bit more condensed in order to get people to stick around and read what we have to say.
I have my goals posted on my mirror in the bathroom, that is where I have a tiny little vanity area with a stool to sit on and I sit there each day while I blow dry my hair. I read that list of goals about 3 or 4 times yesterday, it was a good thing.
I was tempted to have a glass of wine with dinner last night and re-reading those goals and thinking about how serious I want to be right now stopped me. I love an evening glass of wine but there wasn't a NEED to have it. I think I will allow myself ONE this evening, but if I think of the calories in one glass, I have now cut that much from this week by saying no last night.
I did pretty well yesterday. I developed an eating plan page to print off my computer and like it a bit better than the WW trackers. It allows space for a plan and then actual eating. Things change throughout a day and it helps to remain fluid and re-think as the day goes on. One of my issues with planning ahead is that I would always get rattled when something happened and I didn't do as planned. I wouldn't have an alternate plan.
I was on my treadmill as well and am proud that I did it and make myself. I like to watch movies and put the closed caption feature on so I can read the words as the treadmill is often too loud to hear. I get bored easily on the treadmill, so I am pleased to have done this.
Today is a fresh day and I shall plan.
I shall re-read my goals and address them.
I feel motivated and ready.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #9  
fat burner

Default yep

Thanks for reading!

I agree that planning is the best way to go. I'm pretty good at staying within my points but, I tend to get a little obsessed about it and then consequently I deprive myself if that makes any sense. Actually, it's a cycle: I start WW really strong, stick to my points like glue, feel deprived then fall off the wagon completely cause the plan doesn't seem feasible long term. I realize now that I have to work WW and it's not WW that works me.

So, this time around I took a different approach. It's not that I'm not sticking to plan but I'm not limiting myself to diet foods anymore. I eat otherwise normally except and this is the biggest EXCEPTION : I watch my portions and make better choices. For example, DH and I used to go out for breakfast often. Mostly every Sunday actually. I used to have Eggs Benedict with ham, asparagus, bacon the whole show ya know? Now, I have a healthy breakfast which consists of 1 poached egg, some fruit and a whole wheat toast. I'm not anymore hungry than I was back then but I just make a better choice now cause I'm more aware of what i'm eating.

I haven't had a chance to print out my goals yet. I think i'm gonna stick em to the fridge where I see them all the time. I think it's important to keep reminding ourselves of what we're striving after cause for me anyway I tend to lose sight of my goals pretty quickly!

As for the glass of wine, if you really enjoy it then heck why not? Why don't you give yourself x amount of wine points per week perhaps from your flex points? Instead of having a glass every night or every other night maybe you could plan for 1 day a week where you get that treat??? I'm currently using this approach for take out. Every Friday night DH and I order out - but I plan for that every week and make sure I make a good choice and not blow all my hard work!!!

Have a great day Derrydaughter! I'm at the office until approximately 1pm and then I'm heading out to the hospital to see my grandma who's very ill. Not a very exciting weekend if I do say so myself! In anycase, have an AWESOME on plan day!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #10  

Thanks for the response. As per your suggestion, I am planning a glass of wine tonight and I will savor it. I'm going to order a wine spritzer with club soda, wine and lime and that will extend the drink for a longer time and I will not be deprived.
I'm sorry about your grandmother. Watch out for this. I was down to 148 pounds and then my dad got really sick. He died of bone cancer and then my mom died 4 months after that. During the time he was sick, I survived by eating chocolate doughnuts and afterwards, I went into a downward spiral and have not yet been able to climb out of it. It's been four years and this is the most serious I have been since they died in terms of getting back on track.
I can do this.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #11  
fat burner

Goodmorning everyone!
I found out last night that my grandma passed away. The call came in sometime around 10pm. Although we weren't close at all I still had a very difficult time sleeping last night and I feel awfull this morning. I kinda feel like I got blown over by a steam truck. I'll probably be MIA for a couple of days while we prepare for the funeral! So not to worry about me - it's not cause I fell off the wagon!

How is everyone else doing?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #12  

So sorry to hear about your grandmother, LaurieMae. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Yesterday I did pretty well until we ate out at a restaurant, but it could have been much worse. I had prime rib and I think I should have had salmon, it is always hard to know how things are prepared. One thing I try to stick with when I eat out is something that is served plain without sauces. That always helps as sauces can be laden with points and one never knows.
I am not giving up and I am sticking with this, I ate out last night and it was a meal and not a special occasion. I had more points than I should have had, but I hope to exercise a bit today and I hope to behave myself today to make up for it.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #13  
fat burner

Thank you for the kind words Derrydaughter!

As for the restaurant thing, I'm always super suspicious of all the food. Even chicken is somehow pumped up with fat or covered in something that triples its regular point value! I try to order things that aren't saucey either. Sauce=mega points in my books!

But, don't beat yourself up over it. I mean it's not like you ate something TERRIBLE ya know?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #14  

I survived a busy Sunday and didn't go completely wild. I am proud of two things I did and the old me wouldn't have made the choices I made.
I didn't write down everything I ate, though, and I hope to do better with that today. Today is a big challenge, and I will get into that in a minute.

Yesterday was super busy. Went to church in the morning. They have a coffee hour afterwards. I left and looked at homemade cookies, cinnamon buns, doughnuts, crackers and cheese and whatnot. I looked, but did not have one single bit!
Went home and after lunch we attended a Veteran's Day concert. There was an intermission and free snacks, more cookies, cupcakes, snacks, and even fudge. My husband had several treats. I looked again, but did not touch.
Then I had a meeting to go to, thank goodness there was no food there at least. Then, at home we had cheeseburgers and salad for dinner. My husband made these really huge "man-sized" burgers, they were ridiculously large. I ate about half of it, took the roll off and scraped off the choose and ate a bit more of the hamburger just dipping it in ketchup with my fork. I had a salad with oil and vinegar and measured my oil. I was smarter than usual. I didn't have a beer with my dinner, either, even if I wanted one. I just had ice water. Dessert was low fat frozen yogurt.
I didn't exercise, though, it turned out to be a much busier day than I anticipated.
Today, I have a guild meeting all morning and there will, again, be tables full of food. I plan to bring a 100 calorie bag of almonds and just get coffee.
Why does every meeting people attend have to have tables full of food?
I think I might offer to do coffee hour at church sometime in the near future and try to make it a challenge to offer only healthy choices? I might dehydrate a bunch of apples ahead of time? I wonder if people wouldn't find them appealing? (or should I say a-peeling? Ha Ha). The apples are wonderful to eat and offer a tangy taste when dehydrated, but they look kind of ugly. : )
Well, off to live though another day with a big challenge. I need to keep my find focused, read over those goals again.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #15  
fat burner

Great work Derrydaughter!

You were able to resist temptation yesterday! I'm not sure if I could have gone through all that and not had a single one. I tend to allow myself 1 small treat so I don't feel deprived!!! so good for you!

As for me, i'm heading off to work today since there has been no news about the funeral. Yesterday was really busy getting everything together and now I just wait to find out all the details! I had a little NSV yesterday. I needed to get pants for the funeral and was thrilled when I fit comfortable in a size 12. When i started this journey I was anywhere between a 14-16.

It's probably the best part of this journey when all this hard work finally starts to show!
Closed Thread