3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   Already losing steam (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/172720-already-losing-steam.html)

kimberliestewart 05-27-2009 09:37 PM

Already losing steam

Today is only my second day of ww, and I am starting to feel discouraged and I am not sure why.

After dinner I walked by the stove and took an extra bite of pasta...and I am pretty sure that my chicken breast was a little to big. This must be my all or nothing mentality. I'm ready to dive face first into the chips ahoy!

Typing it out, it sounds ridiculous that I feel like Ive failed my diet because I probably went about 5 over my points.

I just need some support :(

Skinnycow 05-27-2009 09:50 PM

I'm feeling the same way. I had a salad and a chicken breast for dinner tonight while the rest of my family had Papa Johns. I was doing so good, but I ended up having a piece. I'm only a few points over, but I'm feeling really guilty.

stillclock 05-27-2009 10:33 PM

hi guys.

i figure weight watchers is a learning curve.

we're learning how much a real, actual portion is.

we're learning the true caloric/fat cost of some of our favorite foods.

we're learning about balance and about sacrifice.

one thing we should not be learning is suffering and privation.

if your chicken breast was too big, so what? next time maybe it'll be a bit too small. in 5-6 months, you'll be old hat at eyeballing just about the right size.

we're learning to move and to drink water.
we're learning a new way of thinking and really really importantly - a new way of feeling about food.

i hope that you, like me, are learning to love yourself a whole lot more. ww isn't about failure or guilt or self-disgust. i honestly feel that it's about taking control, choosing better and learning a little bit at a time.

it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. it's a long life, not a short zoom through to self loathing.

one foot in front of the other. and for heaven's sakes use your flex points, and do NOT beat up on yourself about a bite of pasta or a bit of chicken or even a piece of pizza.

the guilt, deprivation, loathing, panic - all that negative stuff is about something else. some other attachment or emotional weight that has incorrectly come to be associated with food. food is joyous and nourishing and even fun (papa john's). when we take it and make it an evil enemy, a thing we do battle with, something to be victorious over or something to vanquish i really feel like we cost ourselves a dear and joyful part of life.

tidy up the kitchen and let it go.

tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it (yet).

and enjoy! these changes are GOOD things!

isolde

Travelgrl 05-27-2009 10:59 PM

Nicely put!!!! I think we all needed to read that!

Qualera 05-27-2009 11:04 PM

In addition, think about what you would have eaten if you hadn't been trying to follow your points. An extra bite of pasta or a little extra chicken is a lot less than what I would eat if I wasn't following my points. I was eating something around 3500-4000 calories a day. I'm way under that now even if I go slightly over points. And that's what flex points are for anyway. That or treats.

And I find that sometimes its better to have a piece of pizza with the family and use a few extra points for that than to feel deprived and left out. The weekly points are there to help you make the plan work in real life.

Hope this helps. :)

kimberliestewart 05-28-2009 06:12 AM

Thank you guys, that really does make me feel better.

If I wasn't following the plan I would have had a plate FULL of spaghetti....twice

Xan 05-29-2009 12:10 PM

Oh, I wish Isolde had been around the first time I'd had a day like kimberliestewart had! Thank you for that post. I have done that so many times -- start, run out of steam, question the plan -- and it's what you do next that matters, I've finally learned. Just do it :)

kiramira 05-29-2009 12:42 PM

Hurrah, Ms Stillclock!!!!
She has SUCH great info and advice, and I look to her posts ALL the time!!!
Again, this journey is YOUR journey, and keep in mind that not all days are GREAT days. Some are just OK, but with the flex points, you can generally salvage pretty much any small occasional lapse but NOT big lapses all the time.
Hang in there!
Kira

MandiK 05-30-2009 01:01 PM

This happens to everyone, especially when you first start. Just try to make a plan for how you'll do it different next time, and then forgive yourself. Move on and quit thinking about it. If you stress over it, you'll just feel horrible and want to eat more or quit.

ndannemarshall 06-01-2009 12:36 PM

I'm recovering from a bit of a slump now as well, I had been doing great, and was down to 183 (from 203), and very positive... and then I went home to visit my mom and was plied with treats, family dinners, and overate all the time I was home, and while that was three weeks ago, I'm only now getting back into the rythm, I am at 187 now, and trying to get back on track (I am hoping to lose 5 lb in the next two weeks, because I'm getting married on the 13th), and my dress is a TEENY bit tight, like, I could wear it fine, but I'd like it to look just a teeny bit better... I suppose it's my fault for overeating, but ah well!

You just need to keep working at it, even if you get discouraged from time to time!

determined09 06-03-2009 10:12 PM

I know how you feel. I just started and already had a cheeseburger from McDonalds and hated myself the whole time I was eating it. I had a bad shopping experience with nothing fitting me right so I thought that was the way I needed to make myself feel better.

huntersmommy 06-04-2009 08:54 AM

Dont beat yourself up . Just remember to write it all down and when you have a little extra bite dont feel guilty . Just keep moving and doing YOU ARE WORTH IT>> Say that everyday You are worth it You can do this..