3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Watchers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/)
-   -   Doctor ordered me to weight watchers... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/161737-doctor-ordered-me-weight-watchers.html)

ckatgo 01-16-2009 08:00 AM

Doctor ordered me to weight watchers...

My doctor ordered me to start weight watchers. My problem is the whole idea of meetings. I am not sure I like the idea of it. My doc told me that there is a higher sucess rate (that he found) with the meetings. I am wondering what is eveyone's experience? Do you find the meetings more helpful?

:carrot:
Metta,
Kat

erynn1010 01-16-2009 08:04 AM

I did WW 7 years ago, went to the meetings every week for 5 months, lost all my weight & did great! Then I had another baby and decided I'd do the plan on my own because I couldn't afford the meetings...nope! I failed miserably & am now even heavier than I was when I was pregnant. I'm back to going to the meetings & doing great. I really recommend them if you can afford it!!!

shcirerf 01-16-2009 08:31 AM

I do much better if I go to meetings. Staff is helpful and so are other members with lots of tips and explaining things. Plus I made some new friends. And the people understand what you're going through.

suitejudyblueeyes 01-16-2009 09:15 AM

I love the meetings. I guarantee you I would not have stuck to it this long if I hadn't been going to them. It's way easier to just forget to get back on track if you don't have a weekly reminder of just WHY you are doing what you are doing, you know? At least try a couple out, see what you think, before you write them off. You don't have to speak up or tell anyone what you weigh or any of that, you can just sit and observe.

KimL1214 01-16-2009 09:34 AM

I love going to meetings because it really helps me stick with my plan. I feel more accountable when I got to meetings, plus I learn a lot of new tips. It's really inspirational to see people that have had great success and also good to see other people that are also having difficulties...
I was really hesitant at first, but now I'm one of the most vocal people at every meeting.

Jane 01-16-2009 09:42 AM

We have many successes of those who do WW on their own. I personally lost 85 pounds w/o meetings, while getting my support here. As the main caregiver of my MIL w/Alzheimer's disease, I was unable to attend meetings. Others, like the previous posters, find the meetings keep them focused and accountable. Check out the WW At Home section and see what you think. :)

beerab 01-16-2009 10:25 AM

Maybe try it out for a month- see if you like it- if you don't, then cancel after one month?

CHS_teacher 01-16-2009 08:07 PM

Meetings

I've been a Lifetime member for three years now and I really need the meetings to stay accountable.

Susan

Lovely 01-16-2009 08:57 PM

Personally, I know I wouldn't have found the success I have without the weekly meetings. There's something (for me) about a whole group to share with in person. There have been a few weeks that I've missed, and it makes a difference... my eating isn't as good, and it shows on the scale.

That being said, it's going to be a personal decision. Commit to the meetings for a month or two. Give it an honest chance.

If you choose to go it on your own after that, you could still find success. (As members on this board will show.) It depends on your commitment. However, if you're struggling, don't hesitate to return to meetings.

ckatgo 01-17-2009 07:03 AM

I am going today to go down to the local meeting place and sign up and see what happens. I just imagine a place where I am being shamed for not losing a pound and I don't think I could handle that.....

But, I will give it a shot....

Thank you everyone and I look forward to sharing with everyone what happened.

shcirerf 01-17-2009 08:43 AM

You can pay a week at a time if you want. You don't have to make a big commitment.

All the people in my WW group are very nice and no one flogs you if you gain a pound. It's bound to happen now and then.

Farseashore 01-18-2009 09:29 AM

I like the meetings too. I'm a very shy person, so I thought I wouldn't like the meetings either. At first I thought they were a little cheesy, but I have found them so inspirational and informative. I've learned tips, recipes, and where to find low point foods from the other members. Other people ask the leader questions that I never would have thought of, but I am certainly inerested in the responses.

Your weigh-in is personal, and sharing is optional. WW is very encouraging and supportive, and I've never been berated for a gain or maintain. Usually they say "that's okay! This is a new week!" I don't think WW would have lasted so long if they encouraged their staff to be mean.

Give the meetings a try. If they don't work for you, you don't have to go back, right? Good luck!

katyp 01-18-2009 09:52 AM

I only started back in WW after 5 years off trying to do my own plan. I really like being back, I missed the accountability. I find I tend to fall off wagon easier with out weight watchers.

Good Luck

katallan 01-18-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katyp (Post 2558832)
I only started back in WW after 5 years off trying to do my own plan. I really like being back, I missed the accountability. I find I tend to fall off wagon easier with out weight watchers.

Good Luck

I started back to WW after my own 4 year "do-it-yourself" plan. I must say I need accountability too. The weekly meeting and weigh in does it for me!

run4change 01-19-2009 04:33 PM

I highly recommend the meetings. I lost a lot of weight on WW and am at goal. I still go to the meetings every week. If I could have done it alone, i would have done it years ago.