Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Something I noticed at my meeting last night...please read!

Okay...I started WW meetings 3 weeks ago, but obviously I am not new to the weight loss game. I just needed some in person support, and accountability, so here I am.

Anyhow...I have been to 3 meetings, and when I went to meetings #2 and #3, I had losses at BOTH weigh ins.

Well, I noticed something...just in sitting there listening to everyone chatter before, during, and after the meetings.

~Those people who had losses during the week are the ones who are exercising, and staying on the plan. They are the ones who are eating their fruits and vegetables, and drinking their water.

~Those who were talking about not losing any at the meetings, are the ones I overheard making excuses. "I didn't exercise this week...I just didn't feel like it/didn't have time/took a nap/etc." " I forgot to take my journal to work, so I just said forget it that day..." and so on.

I just sat there contemplating it all, and listening to all of the conversations throughout the room.

The plan works, if you work the plan. I wanted to turn around and ask the woman who forgot to take her journal with her to work, why she didn't just use a scrap piece of paper to write down her food, and tally up the Points when she got back home. I wanted to ask someone else why you had time to watch the latest reality show...but you didn't have time to exercise.

The conversations that I heard last night really speak volumes...
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6.5

I totally agree with you! I'm surrounded by woman who are oh "so fat" so they say but then those are the same women showing up with burger king for breakfast 3 times a week and the other days have chips and a soda for breakfast... And wonder why they can never lose weight.... They ALWAYS have an excuse.
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #3  

I agree 100%, aphil.

The plan works. If you use the tools WW gives you, you will lose weight. If you don't lose weight, it is usually not WW's fault, but your own. But of course, it's so much easier to blame outside factors and forces. The forgotten journal, the TV show that just had to be watched, the program that just isn't working for you. That's something I had to learn myself earlier this year, and something I am coming up against again now. I have complete faith in WW as a program, it's only my own inability to stop making excuses for myself that keeps me where I am.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

I agree 100%.
I really need to start going to meetings again, they just don't fit with my work schedule at the moment. (I swear thats not an excuse, they really don't!)
I'm on my way in about 10 minutes to WW, to get weighed in. AHHHHH! wish me luck.

Last edited by luvja; 10-16-2008 at 10:21 AM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
The plan works, if you work the plan.
You said it all right there. I think the key word is *work*. There (sadly) are too many people out there who just don't want to do the work and are so quick to blame "the plan" if they aren't losing - can't be their fault right? Took me way too many years, but it wasn't until that simple idea penetrated my thick skull that I started having (what I consider) genuine success. It's kind of like when people start noticing that you've lost weight and come to you with the "I need to lose some weight too. What did you do?" question. Ever notice how fast you lose their attention when you say "I worked hard"?

I don't want to come across sounding like I think overweight people who aren't working at a plan are lazy or something but I do think there is a vicious circle between poor nutrition and being overwhelmed by challenges.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Long before I actually got healthier (for years), I knew what I needed to do. I never pretended there was "something" stopping me. Except me .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

I love this thread. I've never been to a ww meeting because they aren't offered in my area (yeah my town sucks, lol) but I've been sucessful with ww at home so getting some insight to meetings is new for me and I love it. When I first lost weight on ww after my 3rd baby I didn't exercise and lost 60 lbs but I have to admit, even though I was 130 lbs I looked like I was 10-15 lbs heavier and wore larger clothes because I wasn't toned up etc from working out. So this time around I vowed to give ww my all and work it like it's meant to be. And I have to say I'm working out every day of the week and now it's become habit and I look forward to it! I just don't allow myself excuses and I feel so in control and look forward to every wi.
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 263/191/135

Height: 5'6"

Another person who agrees! It's amazing how well the program works when you do what is needed There will always be excuses if you are looking for them or if you feel you need them. I always looked for shortcuts in the past but no more - WW obviously knows what they are talking about!

I am down over 40 lbs since the beginning of August It amazes me when I do what I am supposed to do, it works!

Last edited by ladyscorpio; 10-16-2008 at 08:30 PM.
ladyscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/185.7/160

Height: 5'8

Quote:
The plan works, if you work the plan
That is soooooooooooooooooo very true!
stacynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

It just amazes me though, because many of these people are the ones who say "I tried WW, South Beach, Atkins, Low Fat, etc., etc., and I just CAN'T lose weight."

I KNOW that it is because they are not putting their all into whatever plan that they are following...because if you sit back and listen, you can hear them complain about not losing...but in the next breath hear them talk about eating the birthday cake, or not going for their walks all week.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #11  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

I admit I was a complainer before I got the perverbal knock on the head. I know that if it is not working it is me not working. It is also me that loses the weight and me that gains it back when I ignore the golden rule....if you take in more calories than you burn you will gain weight. doesn't matter what the calories are from when you over do you will gain weight LOL

Well I have put my two cents in
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Oh I own every gain.

It's a choice. Sometimes I'm OK with the choices I made... sometimes not, but it is still my choice.

I've noticed very similar things at meetings. Having gone for about a year & a half now, I think I've heard it all. When the leader asks a person who has successfully lost weight one week what they have done, the person almost always answers in some fashion "I've been working the plan."

My leader used to constantly say "work the plan." It's true. It's so true.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Oh those gains are all mine too That light bulb moment, is sometimes hard, you just have to let them figure it out themselves. that's why I Love it here, sometimes I just lurk, I know what I need to do, but I don't want too, so I just visit those threads that will give me the kick in the pants I need, to get me back on track.
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

If you don't own the gains, you're not in control of the losses.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

It sounds heartless (a little) but I agree. Weight loss must be given priority. If you put it behind other things, you aren't likely to get far. We spend our time and energy on what is important to us. I wonder if some of the WW women don't just go for a social gathering. Yes, I have heard some women talk about all the diets they have been on too that "didn't work."
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote