Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #1  
Tink is on The Beach

S/C/G: 240/see signature/150

Height: 5'7

Default So today I went to Weight Watchers

So today I went to my first weight watchers visit. Before I had even made it to the building I had in my mind that I just want to go once, get the materials I need, and then not go back. So off the back it was 30$ to join, which is fine. Since I was a college student I didn't have to pay 40 which is great. And they gave me the lil books and what not. The meeting itself.... was not for me. I realized that about 10 mins into it. First of all, I'm 18 years old. The average age group of most of the women there (and 1 man) was 45. THATS MORE THEN TWICE MY AGE!! lol. I mean shame on me for being this overweight so young, but I don't have much in common with the ladies there. One of them was knitting during the meeting. They were talking about drinking and being old =P jk about the last part. And the WORST part about it was that the meeting was at 930 in the morning! didn't these ladies have somewhere to be!! Nope! I mean I'm sure it works for some of the ladies there but.... meetings would not be my thing. I spent another 51$ for the member kit and calculator so I spent like 81$ today but...... I'm hoping its for a worth while cause in the end. I just don't see why you would spend like 13$ to sit down and talk about stuff most people know. Its like a club. Why would they charge so much for that. All they give you is a lil booklet and advice. I guess the people who give out advice on here are now going to start collecting dues. Crap.... I'm going to owe a lot of money aren't I ? Basically I'm not NOT doing WW I'm just NOT doing the meetings. I just have to somehow cancel my membership?

Any tips? Do I have to call? Or does it just cancel if I don't show up after so long? Thanks alot fellow chickees who are not old ladies =P And if you are "older" you don't make it seem that way by taking about buying caskets and guess who just died =P

Tink
Old 07-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Hmmm. I'm 27 and I've been a WW member for a few years now. I lost 40 pounds in 4 months doing WW and going to the meetings. When I stopped going to meetings and eating on plan is when I gained the weight back....I'm going tonight for my first meeting in over a year.
I think going to the meetings work. Yes, those people are older than you (hmm, I wonder if I'm "old" by your logic?). But you know what? because they're older, they probably know more about weight loss than you do. Yes, the meetings are probably a good social visit for them too, but they also know that they will get respect, support, and tips they can use in real life. I go just to swap recipes with some of them!
You pay when you got to meetings, unless you signed up for the online payment plan. Nobody calls you or cancels your membership when you don't show up. They expect you to be a mature grownup, be responsible, and and actually care about your health. You should try a few meetings before you automatically right them off as "not for you."
Old does not equal useless.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #3  
Tink is on The Beach

I don't think your old by my logic, I'd have more in common with you then I would someone my moms age. I don't have tons of money to pour into meetings I just would expect more I guess for it . I am a mature grown up, I do care about my health. Giving them 14$ a week wouldn't prove it anymore. I just figure I could weigh myself in and get just as nice tips and support here for free, which I greatly appreciate.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #4  
GmaTo8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkFreak117 View Post
.... I guess the people who give out advice on here are now going to start collecting dues. Crap.....
There are many comments in your post that I could address, but will keep it to just a couple. First of all, if you are talking about 3FC when you say "here", you are mistaken. 3FC does not charge for any encouragement, inspiration, friendship, or well-meaning advice. The members here give it all for free, and usually get it back two-fold.

Secondly, as a member of the "old lady" group, I suggest you might consider that the WW meeting you attended is held in the mornings because it works for those that need it at that time. There are meetings available in the evenings, too, for those who need them then. As ChickyBird said, you may want to attend a different meeting before you write them all off. WW is successful for a reason - the program is effective.

Just a heads up - if you run into any more old ladies talking about "caskets and guess who just died", you might want to be patient and consider that they may have just lost someone near and dear. Remember that if you're lucky, you'll live to be their age and will be losing friends and relatives as well.

Good luck to you in whichever road you chose . Btw, no charge for this advice.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #5  

Well, I'm really, really old by your standards (66) but I can tell you I'm not ready for the grave for a long time. I went to WW when I was younger and learned from the older ones. Most people need the accountability. When they try to do it on their own, they "start over tomorrow" way too many times. Good luck to you weighing yourself. I reached my goal weight with WW long before you were born 5/77 to be exact and have continued to attend WW meetings at least once a month since then. You actually get books for 12 weeks so you don't have all the materials.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Hi Tink, just some food for thought - you're stereotyping these people for being 'old' and not worthy of your company, just like women get stereotyped for being fat and also not worthy. Maybe you should think about that before you judge somebody's worth to you. 3FC works because we all value each other's support, no matter what age/sex, etc. I bet your WW class will be just as effective if you give it a chance.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #7  
live. love. travel.

S/C/G: 298/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Tink, where in PA are you? I'm in Philly and there are loads of meeting options. I found a meeting at lunch time on Thursdays that is perfect for me. We have a great leader who is hilarious and encouraging. Our group is mixed of men and women ranging in age from 16 to 78.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #8  
Tink is on The Beach

To everyone who responded thanks for the response.... I think if I was older... say maybe married with kids or something , Weight Watchers would be great.... I could socialize and have more things in common with the ladies..... but its just not as appealing to an 18 year old... nothing againist it.... i guess its just the teenager in me ... trying to be independent and what not =P

I live in Chester County sunshower
Old 07-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #9  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

lol I'm an old lady to you but in all honesty I'm one of the younger ones in my meetings and I love it. We don't really talk about anything but food....and more food Just listening about tips and tricks before the meeting kinda makes it more worth it than those little stars!

I know you are trying to be independent an all but to be more successful at it you may want to sit quietly and open your ears a bit to soak up some important stuff. You may think you know all about WL but somehow I doubt it

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Weight watchers @ home or online might be more to your liking.

I tried WW quite a few years ago in my mid 20s and I liked it. I don't have kids and I wasn't married at the time. It is nice to see others who have been there.

It is good to get hold of your weight as soon as you can and do what tools work for you. Maybe in 10 years you will find yourself at WW meetings and find it more to your liking.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

Tink

I think I know what you mean and I am not taking what you are saying personally. I am 43 years old and I tried a meeting too and the personalities that were there didn't mesh with mine either. Most were the same age, but were in a different social structure (native to the area which I just moved to the area) that I just couldn't get past. Being from a small town I didn't have any other options for meetings so I stopped going after that first meeting and didn't continue with WW.

That was 10 years ago. I am older now and more tolerant of others and less judgmental LOL. I have also learned to introduce myself to strangers and listen more to what they say and learn from them. I am guessing that you didn't try to approach any of them and introduce yourself just as they didn't do that with you.

If you are uncomfortable continuing on with those meetings then don't go. You won't be successful with your weight loss if you force yourself to go expecting something you don't feel you will receive from the members there.

Also, remember this. You just gave yourself an excuse to not be successful as well. Don't sabotage yourself by your negative feelings about the meetings. If you aren't comfortable there and don't feel you have anything in common with those members, then don't go, but don't give up either. I do this from home with no meetings other than coming here for my support.

You have all the materials you need and you will receive advice, sympathy, kudos and understanding from the members here of 3FC. Age is relative here unless you make it an issue.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

You know what, I'm 21 and the youngest person in my meetings. Everyone there is old enough to be my mother or grandmother. But, I enjoy it. My instructor introduced me to a group of diverse ladies (and one man) and they took me in. They were so supportive and even made plans to save me a seat for my next meeting! What's great about the meeting is you meet people who are going through the same thing you are...they can give you advice and share tips and ideas. It's so easy to come in with a negative mindset and see only the negative. Try to enjoy your meetings, you can learn a lot there. Granted my first meeting lesson had nothing to do with me but I enjoyed listening and meeting everyone after. It's only 30 minutes, but if you do not feel like staying for the meetings don't. You'll find a lot of support online and with ww online.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #13  
Bringin' sexy back!!

S/C/G: 222.6/181.6/155

Height: 5'5

I was always the youngest when I first went 7 yrs ago but you know what, those "old people" turned out to be my friends. I know it sounds weird. I got to know them and them me. Suddenly age didn't matter. We were all there for the same goal, to be healthy! Maybe try going one or two more times before you decide.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #14  
Mindy

If you don't love the meetings, don't go. Lots of ppl on this board have had great success without going to a meeting. BUT, I would make one suggestion, and that is to try and go to another meeting at another time. If you still don't think meetings are for you, dump 'em. Your success will ultimately be determined by your attitude. GL! I am sure that if you are all in it you'll do AWESOME!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #15  
banned

well said everyone!

tink im sorry but you sound like a spoiled brat&i feel sorry for everyone in that meeting room who was exposed to your lovely attitude.
Closed Thread