Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 01:15 PM   #1  

Default rewards other than food

I have come to realize that I for years when I was rewarding myself (or someone else for that matter) I've always done it with food.

What do others do to give yourself treat or to thank someone else? I don't want to buy clothes, as I am losing weight and they won't fit. I don't want to spend as much money as a massage or a manicure would cost but looking for away to give myself a boost for a job well done or to say "thanks lots" to a friend.

This is all a new learning process, and I need to learn something new!
Old 02-15-2002, 02:22 PM   #2  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

I give myself stickers on my journal page for daily successes.

I give myself paperback books, CD's or DVD's on sale, earrings on sale, magazines, flowers on sale at the grocery store, candles for the dinner table, and other small things like that. I read of a woman who said she gave herself a new charm for her charm bracelet to celebrate success. You can also buy supplies for a hobby you enjoy--yarn for an afghan, if you knit or crochet. Film for your camera, if you like to take pictures. Or if you do the digital thing, an afternoon of picture taking. Or if you draw, time to do some sketching. Time is a great reward for yourself. And for others, you can give the gift of time by babysitting so they can get out or doing some chores for them so they can use the time for themselves.

Hope this helps.

Lin
Old 02-15-2002, 05:09 PM   #3  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

I got my hair highlighted once as a reward, but if you don't want to spend that much, just get a hair cut. I agree that books and CD's are great rewards. Or if you are a crafter, something that will add to your crafting needs.
Old 02-15-2002, 07:28 PM   #4  

Default Non-food rewards

Nothing lifts my spirits more than flowers, so I treat myself to bedding plants full of flowers. It is a gift that keeps on giving.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:16 PM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

Here is what one girl I know did (not me) she bought a thin bangle bracelet for each 10 pounds she lost. Another bought a charm bracelet for her 10% goal and added a charm for every 10 pound lost.

How about a manicure for the first 10 pounds and then keep it up yourself and just have your nails painted for each other 10 pounds lost. My nail salon paints nails for like $3.00 (and the manicure is like $10-15).

CDs, books are also a good idea. Cookbooks. Magazine subscriptions.

I know you said you didn't want to buy clothes but what about going to a nice thrift (something like www.savers.com ) store or consignment shop. Getting something that fits good but you aren't investing alot of money in. You'll look and feel better with clothes that fit well.

Then there is always shoes (my favorite). LOL!
Old 02-17-2002, 04:28 PM   #6  

Great ideas! Here are a few more inexpensive gifts either for yourself or a friend:

stuff to organize with: clear boxes, shelves, closet organizers, colorful file folders

scented candles, bath salts, plush washcloth in an unusual color you like (themed basket?)

take a friend’s kid(s) to a museum or zoo (babysitting, like Lin suggested)

paint a clay flowerpot and root a cutting in it

tape a friend’s favorite show, maybe several episodes, w/out commercials; make a neat label

eye mask (the kind that go in the freezer or can be heated)

accessories, like scarves, gloves, colored stockings, hair ornaments

even just a card is a welcome gift, when there's a little note with it.

I also do what Lin does, putting stickers on my wall calendar, though. I put a small star for exercising, a larger one for staying OP. And congrats on your weight loss, Bronte!
Old 02-18-2002, 11:19 AM   #7  
si, si signora

i reward myself daily with stars on my calendar at work for my work outs. Its pretty amazing to see a calendar full of stars. I'm thinking about double starring it for days that I managed to
stay totally OP.

If I waited to reward w/a haircut or manicure for a loss of 5# - my hair would be to my shoulders and I would have patti labelle fingernails. I'm on a 16 mo. plateau .

I love the charm bracelet idea - its fantastic and a true touchstone of one's journey.

lala
Old 02-18-2002, 05:47 PM   #8  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

I did buy myself a silver charm bracelet when I hit my ten percent difference. Then I bought a charm for each five pounds lost. Somewhere along the line I backtracked, but I sure would like to hang a new charm on my bracelet soon. It's very pretty and has a special meaning to help keep me OP when I wear it.

This is a great topic and you've gotten a lot of unique answers.

234/208/199soon
Old 02-18-2002, 06:23 PM   #9  

Gosh, What good ideas.......I pay myself $1.00 for every 1/4 lb lost and then when I get enough saved I stay with a girlfriend at a really nice
hotel. Husband even matched my last nest egg so we had a REAL good time. It's nice to see the jar get full and seems to motivate me not to gain because the same comes out of the jar!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 09:16 PM   #10  

Default Non-food Rewards

I have just re-joined weight watchers on Jn. 7th. As of tonight I have lost 21 pounds. When I lost the first ten I bought a George Foreman Grill ($17.99). When I make my 10% I am going to buy a laminating machine to laminate organize all the fabulous recipes I am collecting on the internet.

i am using rewards that are related to my weight losss and will help me to continue my success. Good luck to you!
Old 02-21-2002, 01:41 PM   #11  

Talking Earrings work for me

Earrings work for me. I love them, and they never have to be re-sized when you lose weight. I buy a new pair for every 5 pounds - sometimes from the store, sometimes from e-bay for something unusual. (Inexpensive ones - silver, or costume.)
Closed Thread