Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 07:39 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hello ladies!

Sorry for being AWOL for so long. I had good intentions of my week being less hectic last week but I was being naïve. Life will slow down sometime soon; it has to!

The dog and I started obedience training again. We are repeating the class we took last fall as reinforcement and prepare for the next levels. The dog was insane because of all the other dogs and wanting to play with them all. Except that he has about a 100 pounds on almost all of them. I'd finally get him all settled down and a Corgi would growl and snap at him and we'd start all over. I was frazzled by the time class was over.

Thank goodness for brothers. My oldest brother came by with a friend Saturday and they came with chain saws. We got the front trees trimmed and the debris stacked up. One tree is a locust thorn! Those thorns are like big nails. My other brother came on Sunday and we worked on the back yard. I feel like I made 400 trips dragging debris to the curb. That had to have burned several points. And to top all that off, I'll have to rake the whole yard before we can mow in the spring. More points to burn.

I had a great food week going until Friday (Taco Bell), Saturday lunch at work (2 slices pizza) and Saturday night at MIL's (KFC). I was just hungry. Oh, and as if that wasn't bad enough, I attacked a bag of snickers Sunday afternoon. I was really hungry.

Ladies, I think I'm going to jump off the deep-end. I was out browsing the American Diabetes website today and saw that they have a fund-raising bike ride. It is June 23, 2002. I think its about 40 miles. I told DH today that I am going to sign-up. I have four months to get in bike riding shape. Several years ago, I rode a 100 miles in 8 hours and weighed 225. I have to do something to "up the ante" so to speak so that I get off this dang plateauing.

A little catching up:

Gina - Looks like you had a rough weekend foodwise too. That's my downfall time. I'm cheering you on with the treadmill. Keep it up and soon you'll be speeding up and for longer distances. You'll be surprised at how quickly that will come. I too have trouble with trying to walk fast on the treadmill. I can do better outside but it doesn't feel like a natural gait.

Akasha - Belated happy birthday! Hang in there and don't let the dumps defeat you. You'll find your groove. We're all here to help.

Bunny - Okay, so it was a rough weekend for just about everyone. Hope you're mobile again. I went shopping at Dillard's sale again. I bought a beautiful Elisabeth purple shirt. I'm addicted now! Wow, breakfast in bed. My DH would think something was up if I did that!!

Teaki - I agree with everyone else; keep on posting even when you're struggling. Sometimes just writing it all out to share makes a big difference in getting back on track.

Linda - That hot spinach dip is a killer (tastewise!). Don't beat yourself up about the exercise either. I'll be sending positive vibes your way. Wow, spring blossoms already. I can't wait!!

Hope I didn't miss anyone. I must get myself headed towards work. Ladies, have a great day. Be strong!! Remember, how good thin will feel; much better than the junk food now.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:45 AM   #32  
CatGal

Default Happy Water Filled Wednesday!

Good morning!

Yesterday was pretty good for me. Ate OP and did 30 min on the treadmill. 1 and a quarter miles. Not much else going on...

Linda - Sorry to hear you are in low spirits on the excercise front. I wouldn't say that I get a lot of satisfaction from excercise. I truly do hate it. I just do it because I know I have to. I think you should give that aero-glider away and find some kind of activity that suits you. If you can't at least tolerate the activity, you will NEVER do it! Personally, I used to LOVE bike riding, but it has been many years and many pounds, and I don't even have a bike anymore! DH likes bike riding too. Maybe in the spring or summer, we will make another investment...

Akasha - Sorry to hear about the bad day. I get the urge to eat badly at home to. It is so hard to watch television without munching on something. Sometimes I read a magazine during commercials to keep me busy.

Determined - Sorry to hear that things have been so hectic. Glad to hear that you got your trees cleaned up though. Making all those trips sure did burn off the points, I am sure. My yard is full of sticks from all the wind we have been having. DH and I are going to have to bundle them up and put them at the curb soon too, or we will never be able to mow! WTG on signing up for that bike fund raiser! I am sure you can do it!

Well, that is all for me! Hello to all that I have missed!
G
Old 02-13-2002, 01:27 PM   #33  

Good morning, this Ash Wednesday! We've been to mass and back -- and I've been out to replace my old, broken glasses with new not broken glasses! Today is a day of fasting and abstainance for me -- so I'm guessin' I'll do just fine point-wise.

Weather here is beautiful -- and we're expecting it to continue in this same nice vein for days yet. Life is good!

Gina Marie -- A pound down -- wahoo for you! I'm always hoping for quicker losses than I seem to achieve -- but I try to remind myself that every pound (or half pound) is another one I've kissed goodbye forever so its worth celebrating!

J-Ann -- Glad to hear you've been a good kinda busy lately. Time off-line is something I only dream of! LOL! The disadvantages to working an online business, eh?

LindaBC -- Boy, can relate on the exercise woes. I'm not finding the motivation I need lately to make exercising happen regularly (and today, for instance, I'm using the fact that I'm fasting as an excuse for not workin' out fully -- sigh). It comes down to finding that movement which is comfortable and sustainable. I haven't found it yet -- so I'm still trying all sorts of different things hoping something will "click".

Akasha -- Definitely sounds like car troubles are goin' around!

Terri -- OOOO -- shopping! I hit Belk's yesterday and Dillard's too (got some cute as can be Liz Claiborne shoes for my upcoming trip to Cali). I just loooooovvvvveeeee to shop!
Old 02-13-2002, 05:45 PM   #34  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Default Angry? Sad? Confused?

All ofthe above

Here I was thinking what a successful week I'd had. The scale at home was showing a nice downward trend. When I left for my WI I figure I was down 2 lbs. Maybe even 3!!! What I surprise when I got on he scale and heard "Uh ... you're up a pound". I was the first person on the scale today. I hope it's just screwed up. They offered to weigh me on the other scale after I said "You've GOT to be kidding!" I was so pissed, and trying not to show it, that I said "no" and packed up and left. I'm not much for staying for meetings. I've been to so many of them that I feel lke I'm hearing the same stuff over and over and over. I'm going to try to NOT let this get to me. But it was a huge let down. I need to go forward truly believing that I lost last week and hoping it show on the WW scale next week. This is a rough time of year for me. Always has been. Don't know why either. we're thru the holidays, the days are getting longer and Spring plans are getting closer. But this is when I fall apart weight wise. I recognize this now and have been trying really hard to stay OP just for that reason.

Oh well, I know I have you ladies to commiserate with. And this group is a lifeline for me weight wise. I have to recommitt myself to the WW way of life, go forward and feel good about myself and my success thus far. I may go kick the wall, and I know I feel better just by being able to put my feelings into words. Off my soapbox and feeling better all ready.

I CAN DO THIS!!!!
Old 02-13-2002, 07:55 PM   #35  

J-Ann - {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}

Oh J-Ann, I felt your pain and frustration so much when reading your post. I have been there so many times. I truly hate the scale. Just hang on to the belief that it was a mistake and don't give up. We're hear cheering for you. You can do this and you will.

Keep up the faith!
Old 02-14-2002, 12:52 PM   #36  
CatGal

Angry Happy Valentines Day!

Hello everyone! Yesterday didn't end so good for me. Not only did I declare it a treadmill vacation day, but I ate over points by about 5 due to a jelly bean pig out. Today doesn't seem to be shaping up much better. Someone has already put a chocolate on my desk, and I have 4 Belgians waiting for me at home. I will try to eat moderately and journal, and I will treadmill tonight.

Oh J-ann, I can soooo relate to your huge let down at the scale this week. I have been there many times. If is so frustrating. Who knows how those things happen. Kudos to you for trying to not let it throw you off track. I am sure you will show that much more of a loss next week!
G
Old 02-15-2002, 07:03 AM   #37  

Angry

J-Ann - oh hang on in there. I have to tell you something. I have always been so inspired by your committment to your weight loss. I remember when you posted last summer about a party you had and you were barbecuing and you were chosing all the healthy things to cook and eat that you could have. And I remember you struggling with and winning the Eating In the Car war. You have been doing really well. Then you hit the dreaded plateau and now are struggling on it. Remember that it is part of the process. Remember to feel good about yourself - not because you have lost x amount of weight, but just because of who you are - ie a woman who is creative, supportive, brave, strong, determined, loves nature and the world.....all of those things. You are all of this and your body and soul know best what they are up to right now. And remember that living the healthy way is what this is about, not being rewarded with a weight loss. All the time you are eating good food and moving your body, you are on the programme, and the weight loss is only a measuring tool. A measuring jug if you like to help you get the recipe right.

So, dust yourself down, drink some water, plan a few of your favourite healthy meals and treat yourself as you would your most loved daughter/sister/friend. You deserve it. Good luck and come back for more of a rant if that is what you need. That is what we are here for! Love to you - here is an angel to keep you company

Terri.......there is so much I could say, but I am going to stick with I am so impressed with your bike ride thing!

Everyone - I have read all your posts and I am rooting for you all.

I am doing well I think. Down one pound this week in spite of a lot of food. I was thinking about what you were saying Linda about the pain of exercise and I feel a really similar frustration. I find it comes and goes and weirdly, I feel it is easier to exercise when I have more water in side me, so maybe that might help a bit, but I doubt it. I think that exercise is just hard hard hard when you are carrying a lot of weight. I am now walking everyday for about 12 mins in the morning and the same in the afternoon, and it is making me feel much better although it hurt my knees and hips and puffed me out at first. I like it as I get to be outside for a bit which I like. I think you have to pick some form of movement which appeals to you, and try and do more of it. If the thing in your spare room is not it for you, then get rid of it. You deserve better than having it clutter up your house making you feel guilty. Yuk. You will find something to help you move more. Maybe tomorrow an idea will come to you.

I had my box of organic veggies delivered yesterday so I feel excited about that. I think I read somewhere that in america and canada people are not so in to organic food as we are here. Organics are foods grown and produced without preservative or insect repelling chemicals (of the artificial kind). The box I get is of seasonal veggies (not flown in from africa etc, but just delivered by road from farms in england, or sometimes france and spain for a few more exotic things like seville oranges or whatever). they come all covered in dirt not washed, and in paper bags not plastic. Anyway they taste wonderful - more real. I think it is because they are much fresher. I usually make soup, or just steam them. Yesterday for lunch I had steamed broccolli and steamed pak choi with a bit of hoisin sauce on. Yum!

Big excitement here this morning as I woke up to hear my (absent) neighbour's fire alarm going off, I went to investigate and saw smoke coming out of the side of her house So I called 999 and within 4 or 5 minutes two big testosterone red fire engines turned up, from which about 12 testosterone filled firemen jumped down and rushed in with pick axe type things and all the kit............only to wander out again looking all limp and deflated (the image is irrisistable.... ) on finding no fire. The 'smoke' I saw was just steam from the boiler apparently. and how embarrassed do I feel??? But in the panic of the alarm going off at half past six this morning, surely anyone could have mistaken steam for smoke?? surely?? Anyway, it was all very exciting, once I realised that my house was not about to burn to the ground with my cats and all my Buffy the Vampire Slayer videos, and my organic veggies. What a relief.

Must go and try to remember not to make any more nuisance calls to the (young and thrusting) emergency services.....
Lilac
Old 02-15-2002, 10:04 AM   #38  
CatGal

Unhappy UGH! TGIF!

Well, yesterday turned out to be a disasterous program day for me and DH! We ate way too much between dinner and sweets! We both still feel ill! But is was really fun!

Today, it is back OP and LOTS of water!

Lilac - First congratulation on that pound down! WTG! Those organic veggies sound soooo yummy! I could almost see them from you description... Many people in america get turned off from organic grown food because it is VERY EXPENSIVE! You know what I think? I think you called 999 just so you could watch those thrusting fire brigade men! (Do they still call it the fire brigade?) You did the right thig, though. A fire alarm and steam still could have spelled disaster!

Well, all, have a great weekend!
G
Old 02-15-2002, 03:36 PM   #39  
Slimwithin

J-Ann, I'm kinda in the same spot you are, except you have a lot less weight than I to lose. Last week I really thought I deserved to lose and instead I gained. This week I KNEW I didn't deserve to lose and I most certainly DID NOT. Funny, tho, I felt thinner. What is THAT??
I think I really let it get to me last week and I sulked and pouted and ate more than I should, basically cutting off my nose to spite my silly face. Why do I do that to myself. Anyhow, I guess gaining 3 lb in 3 weeks isn't the end of the world or even too shameful and I think I'm ready to get myself back on track. No more stolen handfuls of frozen baking almonds (handful after handful...munch munch) I will prepare healthy snacks and stick to them. I will also (groan) try to get in more exercise.
Thanks so much for all the supportive advice. I really appreciate this place. In fact, I appreciate it so much that once my WW prepaid WW membership expires, I'm not going to renew. I get absolutely nothing out of the meetings. Been there. Done that. Tired of doing it again and again. I get more motivation right here and from other on-line WW buddies.
I'll drop in to check on you all over the weekend. Shouldn't we be starting a new thread about now? I'd do it but not sure of the procedure.
LindaBC
Old 02-15-2002, 06:45 PM   #40  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Thanks so much for all of your support.

I've got my smiley face back on and I'm feelin' good about myself again and MY scale showed another downward trend today.

Got right back OP yesterday, jogged in the pool for 1.5 hrs (It felt sooo gooood!) and the Pilates Magic Circle arrived. It's a somewhat pliable steel ring about 15' diameter, with a soft plastic coating and on two sides little padded things on both the inside and outside of the ring. It's definitely a resistance training thing. You press in and it pushes out. The exercises are slow and you use it with your arms and legs. This cookie was sore this morning. Didn't hurt when I was working with it but this A.M. I found muscles in my upper arms that haven't used in years. I think I'm going to enjoy using it but I'm gonna take it slow.

Glad to see some of us are dropping some lbs. this week. I sometimes
wish I could give up going to WW but I need the committment to show up once a week and climb on someone else's scale for a WI.. (Even if their scale is on my s..t list right now LOL!) Everytime I've quit and decided to go it alone, woosh, the weight came right back on! So I'm sticking with them. Even treated myself to the one year membership for Xmas. Besides I've met some really great folks at the meetings and I don't stay unless I really need a pep talk or if one of my friends needs some extra encouragement. This month 4 folks from my office joined so it's made the food situation at work a lot easier. Trouble is they are all watching me ... I don't even dare grab an M&M anymore.

Hey Lilac, be careful chasing those firemen. You don't want to get a reputation in your neighborhood. You did the right thing tho. Better they come out for a false alarm than someone lose their home, or worse their life, because smoke was ignored.

Keep up the good work ladies. Talk to you later this weekend.

A happier, once again back in control (but yep, the car still makes me salivate as soon as I start the engine, just like a Pavlovian dog. Thank God for fruit and FF Pretzels) .
Old 02-16-2002, 09:08 AM   #41  

Default Starting new thread

Don't Post Here! Go to new thread.
Closed Thread