Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #16  

Wow, this new thread is taking right off! Welcome to our newcomers.
Paige, isn't it nice to have this group when we can be totally honest with each other and admit what we have done wrong. Firstly, I am fascinated when you write about your attempts at recipes. Keep posting about that.
I'm so sorry you feel that you blew it.
I am here to say that I blew it too the last few days. I lost track, and I broke my promise to myself and to all of you that I would journal. I'm going to start fresh with a new journal today, forgive myself and move on though.
Last night was the buffet dinner at my in laws golf club. The cheese things and shrimp went over well and I didn't over-indulge. Then, halfway through eating the peanut butter pie, I felt badly, overloaded, stuffed and unhappy with myself. But, this is our vacation and I did earn AP while doing lots of housecleaning during the day. I have to just move on.
Haylo, glad you have your car back and can now be more on track. Yes, it kind of sucks to get someplace and feel like you have to clean it, but such is life and I guess I should be thankful that we, at least, have a house down by the beach to go to in our family and accept it as is? My husband gave me a lecture on not being so negative about it, but he was the one who went to the beach while I was cleaning, hmmm....
Briza, sorry you were not feeling so well. A mild case of food poisoning sounds just awful. You know, my husband often gets sick after we eat out as do my kids. I generally do not. I wonder if just having very sensitive stomachs runs in his side of the family? I also wonder if the food is richer than you/they are used to nowadays and when you overload it, it just is something your body objects to and cannot digest? Whatever it was, I'm glad you are better.
By the way, in looking at colleges for my daughter, when we went to tour one of the culinary colleges they said they had an entire class on sanitary procedures and how seriously you need to take it in the food industry. You literally have people's lives in your hands. Cooking (Paige, I am sure, could expand upon this) for others is a huge responsibility. I was reflecting on the efforts she is putting into making gluten free foods, for example, and I know how careful you must be with food allergies and sensitivities to identify things that go into what you serve the general public. I'm allergic to celery, for example, and so often I find it's in food that I have ordered. My husband, kindly, will offer to switch plates with me when that happens.
Kim, I'm impressed that your daughter ordered the Salmon, wow. My daughter dislikes most fish and is hesitant to order things like that. How many grilled chicken salads can a person have, after all? Good job staying on program and passing up the blooming onion thing. I love those, they are my weakness.
Tech, I am proud of you for riding your bike, and I have been in the same circumstance as you many times where dinner didn't sound good and we suddenly changed plans and went out. I think this is where a crib sheet with restaurant info tucked in my wallet will work well. I'm going to do that after I'm home, I think.
Ann, relax about the scale. I think this is a very good exercise and maybe I may try it at some point. I'm so curious as to how this all goes for you. Do you FEEL thinner? Are you thinking about it all the time? I'd probably have given in!
Well, again, today is a fresh start day with a journal that is new. I forgive, forget and am making a plan. One part of my plan is in question and I will have to "wing it" to some degree.
So, here goes with the plan.
Today, breakfast will be my usual oatmeal and Calorie Countdown milk. I'm so in love with that milk. I keep asking about it. Have any of you ever found it near where you live? Let me know!
We are going to go tour a mansion in Newport Rhode Island today. That is always fun and there will be walking involved, a bonus.
Lunch will be in Newport. My daughter is in love with thie restaurant called "The Red Parrot" that we ate at once last summer. I don't recall what I ate there, and after making this post will look them up on line to see if they are large enough to have a web site and post some kind of menu. I hope so. If not, it will probably be a burger without a roll and maybe a side salad if I can manage that or a grilled chicken salad. I'm bored with those foods, though, to be honest. Same old, same old. I wish restaurants would become more in tune with people on weight loss plans and have more to offer. Some of them do, such as Applebees, but not many.
Dinner is planned already and we will eat here tonight. My husband went fishing yesterday morning with his dad and caught Bonita (which are baby tuna fish) as well as Bluefish. I've promised (as well as my daughter) to try the Bonita. I'm suspicious as I don't like dark colored fish, generally, and prefer white fish that doesn't taste fishy. I bought a corn bread mix by a company called "Krusteze" (not sure of the spelling) and each serving of the corn bread is 110 calories, so two points for a piece of cornbread to go along with the fish and we shall have salad with it too. If we don't like the fish, Jamie and I can have cornbread and salad, at least.
If we have time on our way home from Newport, we'll stop in at my in laws house and swim in their pool, will earn points for that as well.
Again, I apologize for spelling/type-os as I have no spellcheck on this laptop.
Take care!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Good Morning! Back to work after my day of playing yesterday. Lunch is a challenge as it is our monthly get together with another lady at another law firm and we always order the Topoppo salad, which is chicken, lettuce, guacamole, peas, cheese, salsa and chips. We split the salad but the points are still up there a bit. Will have to have a very light dinner tonight.

Linda - I hope you are now getting to enjoy the beach now that your cleaning is done.

Hello to everyone - Ann, Briza, Paige, Paige2, Velveteen, O2beskinny, Haylo, Tech and anyone else I may have forgotten!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #18  

Hello everyone,

I hope you guys have a good day, I think I am going to go through my closet and get rid of old stuff.

ann: wow, good job with the steps
rosegarden: good luck at work today
kim: congrats on making a wise decision at the resturaunt
derry: have a good time with your family sounds like fun

everyone else I missed hope things are going well and have a wonderful day.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #19  

Hi all! It was a weird morning today...my MIL decided to keep the girls for another night, so this morning I woke up to a completely empty house. MIL lives right by the Y, so I decided to get in a workout before I picked dds up. It was a quick, but good one.

I had a really good weeked with dh, but I'm glad it's over. I just had such a difficult time with food, and it really made me feel awful. What Linda said about our stomachs not being used to the types of foods we used to eat is so true. I had planned out yesterday, but didn't stick to it at all. I don't know what my deal was. Today I am really back op. I had packed lunches for dds and I, and after I picked them up we went and had lunch with dh at work. I had packed a 3pt ham sandwich and a 3pt bag of Sun chips for myself. Right now I'm guzzling the water...I think I've really been slacking on that. For dinner tonight dh is going to grill some chicken and veggies for me (we didn't end up grilling last night as I had planned.)

Linda-I took the ServSafe sanitation course that you are talking about. It is a REAL eye opener. There are so many things that can go wrong in a kitchen...cross contamination, time temp abuse, bio/chemical/physical contamination, etc etc. It is SO easy for things to go wrong, all it takes is someone being a little careless. My problem with the gluten free stuff is that I don't really know what to look for when I'm looking at an ingredient list. Gluten itself isn't an ingredient, so I need to know what things gluten are in. I did find quite a large list, but I am worried that there might be other things. And also, I go onto health food store websites, and find things like "gluten free chocolate chips"...and that confuses me because I thought regular choc chips were ok??? Oh, btw, I think I might be able to work my choc cake recipe w/a choc glaze to be about 3pts. I haven't done it, though, because with how I've been lately, I don't trust myself to have it in the house.

Kim-I was surprised, too, that your dd chose the salmon. How did she like it?

Laura-Was the baseball game a minor league or farm team? We are going to one next Wednesday, dh got free tickets. I am a little less than enthused... watching baseball isn't my thing. I've been to several Yankees games, and was always soooo bored. Dh really wants to take dds, though, so we'll see how it goes!

Hello to Tech, Ann, Paige2, Briza, Haylo and any new people! Hope everyone is having a great op day!
Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 PM   #20  

No Paige it was a Major League Game - Tigers vs the A's. It was our company summer picnic and they bought the tickets, parking pass and a wonderful luncheon at Hockeytown Cafe. It was a great game as there were 2 records broke and we were sitting in the shade and had a good view. We had a fun day! It helps that the Tigers won 11-6 - 8 runs in the 2nd inning and one Magglio got 2 homeruns in the 2nd inning!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:12 PM   #21  

Laura-I'm just not a baseball person. I love to play softball, but to watch baseball...ugh. Football, on the other hand...I have loved it ever since I was little, and now it is especially fun since dh's brother is in the NFL. Our weekends are scheduled around football in the fall/winter!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #22  
I <3 Gaby

S/C/G: 107.6kg/89.8kg/58kg

Height: 5'0

Hi ladies!
Life has been kind of hectic here! WW is going pretty well - the three weeks prior to last week I lost a total of 5kg/11lb (), however this last week I put on 400g/.8lb - but I am fine about that, I know precisely where I went wrong, and I expected to have a loss - I am proud that it was only 400g.. I can cope with a gain of 500g or under... And today is the beginning of a new WW week, so I am feeling somewhat motivated!

But more excitedly for me, I have a new man in my life, who is just amazing - and I can't get enough of him. My sister was joking that the reason I lost so much weight for those three weeks, was due to... increased bedroom.. activity.. and LOL maybe there is something in that? I didn't realise how bad my last relationship was, until I met K.. who actually treats me like I'm something special.. I could go on & on about him, but I won't

Gaby has started crawling, so I've been rather busily chasing her around the house - an interesting time!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:55 AM   #23  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning ladies, I do hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday.

I mentioned Emma's new weight loss program to my husband and he is sure it is a reliable one...haha....men.
Anyway congratulations on your great loss the past weeks. I do hope things work out well for you.

Hello to everyone and Have a wonderful day ladies.
Ann
Old 08-14-2007, 07:15 AM   #24  

Good morning - yesterday was a better day! Went to my brother's and picked some produce so my crispers are replenished again.

Not much happening in my world today. How about yours?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #25  

Haylo, Hello! How are things going? Exercise? Water? Journals?
Paige, I am right with you as far as letting foods get out of hand, lately. We ate out twice yesterday and I didn't write it down (but will this morning) and we are eating out twice again today as well. I didn't earn any activity points to speak of yesterday, though walking around the mansion on the tour was probably a point, hard to say. By the way, we went to a Vanderbuilt mansion called Marble House, all marble inside, though some gorgeous woodwork, hand carved of course, and some cast bronze covered with 18K gold. Amazing to live like that in a different era. Also, one thing that amazes me about Newport RI is the cosmepolitan flavor there. There was a cruise ship in the harbor and I imagined it was European as there were many French and Italian speaking people walking around and in the restaurants. I broke down and sample a small serving of gelato as we were walking the streets and in the shops, it was a warm day and we passed a shop that makes and sells it. I've never had gelato before, so was curious. I don't think it's high in points as they indicated that on the sides that it contains less fat and calories than ice cream. Servings are tiny and they give you tiny spoons. But, by the time we got back here, my stomach was upset. Again, eating "strange" foods can do this?
Paige, what about buying PURE chocolate, unsweetened, in bars and adding your own sugar and vanilla to it? You could then chop/chunk it and bake it into things. It would be gluten free, right? They must add things to chocolate chips that are, I think, called emulzifiers? (sp?) and maybe those things have gluten in them? Gluten, as has been described to me, is like the glue that holds things together and I guess it is rather needed when making recipes.
Emma, I am glad you have found someone new. That surely didn't take long and I am impressed, as well, that you have a man in your life at the same time you have a baby in your life. I always thought men would steer clear of a woman with a child? But, maybe he is what I might refer to as a "real man"? When I say a "real man", I think of someone who holds their head high and takes responsibility, the phrase they use "be a man" comes to mind. Hope that makes sense. A real man wouldn't care is a woman he cares about has a child, that would just be another facet of her life to fall in love with.
I wish you luck! Take your time and get to know him well.
I've got to run, have an appointment to tour a college with my daughter today!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:32 AM   #26  
HERE I GO AGAIN!

S/C/G: 182/182/130

Height: 5'3"

Linda, we don't have the Calorie Countdown milk here. I can't even find Laughing Cow cheese here!
You said you are going to a mansion today......which one?? I went to RI with a friend several years ago and we toured a couple of them. They are HUGE and so ornate and beautiful! Hard to imagine ever living like that. Have you ever had clam chowder from the Black Pearl in RI? I fell in love with it and brageed on it so much that my hubby ordered it and had it shipped frozen to us for a pre-Christmas present!

Paige, my daughter LOVED the salmon. Fortunately it wasn't really fishy tasting salmon, but she ate the whole thing!!

Emma, congrats on the new man!! He sounds like a dream come true!!

Haylo, did you get that closet cleaned out!?? My mom in law is coming today. She wants to help me DEEP clean the house. I promise, my house is not that bad, but her house is like better homes and garden. So I have been straightening and throwing away JUNK. I have to say I feel really bad today and don't feel like dealing with it. My sinuses are acting up and I didn't sleep last night. I don't know if my sinus problems are due to the ozone?? and the weather? (going up to 105 here today!), or what. I can't seem to get anything done for blowing my nose every 2 minutes.

Hello to the rest of you! Have a great day and be healthy in your choices!!

Well, I better go do a few more things before she gets here.
I have WI tonight, so I will post again when I get home!!

Kim
Old 08-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #27  

Happy Tuesday all!

Not much happening at all here today. It is supposed to be really nice weather; only a high of 76, so I'll probably take the girls out later to do something.

Yesterday was a good, op day. I ended up with 2 pts that I didn't use, actually. My menu for today is...

Breakfast-Egg beaters w/veggies, deli ham, LC cheese on ww lite toast-4

Lunch-salad w/leftover grilled chicken, 1 serving of moz cheese-5
pack of Sunchips-3

Snack-popcorn-3

Dinner-grilled chicken-4
veggies-0
grilled fries-3
low fat ice cream-3

Total-24/28

Kim- Yuck, have fun cleaning with your MIL. LOL! I find the calorie countdown milk and the LC cheese at Walmart. I'm not a milk drinker (yes, I know...no lectures needed!) so I haven't purchased it, but I know they sell it. The LC cheese is sold over by the deli, it is in little round packages and is not refrigerated. It took me a long time to find it because I was expecting it to be with the other cheeses.
That is great that your dd will order fish. I like salmon and haddock, but have really gotten away from ordering them or purchasing them because dh doesn't eat fish. I should get some salmon and have him grill it for me. Good luck at your wi!

Linda-I think dh and I would love where you are staying. Well, I would anyway. I love doing tours like the mansion. As far as what gluten is...well, I know it in terms of flour. Gluten is protein. With bread, you want a hard flour that has a high gluten content (ex, bread flour has high gluten content; it improves the elasticity of the dough, so the more you knead it, the more gluten is formed, and the more it will rise.) With cake flour, you have a very low gluten content because you don't want the batter to be tough. So anyway...I have a hard time understanding gluten in any way other than that! LOL! That is why I can't understand how choc chips could have gluten in them??? The majority of the recipes that I've found that calls for them, don't say anything about them being gluten free, so I'm wondering what makes the gluten free ones that health food stores sell different? Which college is Jamie looking at today?

Emma-Glad to see you back...congrats on the loss and the improvement in your situation! Just try to take it nice and slow though, ok?

Hope everyone else is having a great morning...I'll check in later with you all!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #28  

Hello everyone,

derry: excercise is good, water could be better, journaling I had a little slip up with journaling earlier in the week/weekend sunday/monday and then I remembered how well I did when I journaled so I got back on track yesterday thanks for asking. Have fun touring the college with your daughter.

02bskinny: I did get rid of some stuff, I didn't go through and try stuff on b/c I know I haven't lost enough weight to go down a size so I just got rid of stuff I thought I probably won't wear anymore. Ugh, I hate sinus problems I have sinus issues a lot to I wouldn't want to deal with cleaning anything out either. Good luck. Like paige said I never really find the laughing cow by the cheese I too usually find in the deli section and it's sometimes not refrigerated. You don't have to refrigerate it I think till you open it. I love laughing cow it delicious.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #29  

Hi all...

I am having such a hard time getting over my "eaters remorse" from the weekend. The scale is up a few lbs, and I am just so angry at myself about it. This morning I woke feeling those binge/purge feelings...I haven't in awhile now, I've been so in control. But I ignored it, made sure I planned out my menu, and have been in control of my food (I did have a few small cookies that dd has been begging me to make, but since I had those I did not have my afternoon snack, and I don't really feel like eating my planned dessert tonight, either.) I did not binge/purge today, and I'm so glad I didn't because that always makes me feel so much worse. But yet, even though yesterday and today I've been op, I just have this feeling of "being fat." I know it is in my head. I even just did a Walk Away the Pounds video to try to shake it, and it is still there.

On one hand, I am so proud of myself that I didn't give into those feelings, because a few months ago, I would of. On the other hand, I have those fat feelings that don't seem to be going away.

I think I'm also getting a little antsy...I really just want to be at goal already! LOL, but don't we all? Man, I can't even seem to get below 200.

Alright girls, just need a bit of a pep talk!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #30  

paige: I am glad you were able to turn to us, I think you just reached a little bump but I know that you can move past that feeling. You have come so far and have been an inpiration to many of us. Just put the weekend behind you and keep on going. I hate when I get that feeling of being fat especially when I have been trying so hard, but we can't let ourselves fall back into old patterns, just think of where you would be if you weren't trying to do something. I am very proud of you for not binging/purging keep up the will power to not do so. Best of luck.
Closed Thread