Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 193/189/158

Height: 5'10

Well I didn't journal at all yesterday. I had the lunch out with my sisiter and thoroughly enjoyed it. I went for another run yesterday, and my legs are so sore today, so I am going to take a day off from it. Today will be a completely journaled day for sure.

Linda-thanks for sharing about your day. You just sound like such a strong woman and I really admire that. Thanks to you, all my sisters and myself are currently coming up with our 3 most favorite "mom memories" to share with my mother at lunch on Saturday. So hard to limit to 3, but with four of us, we wanted it to be special for my mom. And, I'm also going to write a note to my mother-in-law who I love dearly and think of her as a mother as well. Thanks also for the reminders about the Healthy Guidelines of WW. I don't always check off those boxes like I should, because I just think that I'm getting everything in, but checking the boxes would make me conciously ensure that I am.

haylo-it's so awesome that you are always thinking about how you can get that exercise in. I know that might sound ridiculous, because it seems so natural for you, but not for a lot of people. With the exception of this past week, I had not been exercising regularly, and I think my metabolism wasn't getting that jolt it needs to maximize my weight loss. Now that I'm running again, I can definitley see the difference on the scale.

unstablelady- Welcome, and I agree with Linda about that name!! You've definitely picked the right spot if you want the "family feeling". I've never done this sort of thing with posting on a daily basis. But I think without it, I'm not sure how well I would've done without all the support. There have been times, when I've sat down to my computer with chocolate in hand to read posts, read what some are saying to me, or to others, and then actually put the chocolate away, and gone outside to get busy. It's amazing, and truly supportive and motivating.

Ann- the shwarma was awesome the flavors are just like no other. I ran again yesterday (3.5 miles w/o stopping or walking) but my quads are really sore today, so I'm going to take a day off and try to stretch them out.

Well today I will be very busy with the first harvesting of asparagus. I'm not sure if I mentioned before, but that is the first crop that we sell at our farm. Our dd's are very excited, because they help a lot, and we let them have most of the profits to save and to spend. So this time of year, we have asparagus for almost every meal, I put it in quiche, roast it, steam it, boil it and I have a new recipe that I can't wait to try called "Asparagus, Portobello and Goat Cheese Strudel" Yum!! Hope everyone has a great day!!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:56 AM   #32  

Haylo, sorry that you are an only child, but that can be a fun thing at times as well, I suppose as you always had all your parents' attention? : )
I'm sad but better today, determined to be on program, take care of myself and my kids, etc.
Laura, would frozen whole strawberries have been an OK substitute? I hate when you just can't find a special ingredient. Gosh, I thought strawberries were in season, at least they seem prevalent around here in the east right now. Our own home grown ones won't be available until June, though, but at this time of year they are trucking in gorgeous HUGE ones from someplace.
Erica, sounds like you have a very special thing planned for your mom, and I'm glad that I have helped to inspire it. Honestly, I don't know how to face each day without my mom. We lived about an hour and 15 minutes away from each other, so I only saw her about once a week, but we talked on the phone every single day. I miss that special companionship, she was my best friend. I miss dad as well, of course, but I could share different and more special things with mom. I was always, "daddy's little girl" though, being the youngest. I miss his lectures, I'd smile to have him say "waste not, want not" to me again. I'm not exactly the most thrifty person in the world, I always blow money and end up broke. : )
Erica, I want asparagus now! I love it and don't get it very often. It's so expensive, I love the idea of Portobello and goat cheese strudel! Mmmmm.... let us know how it comes out. My mother in law has a recipe that she uses blue cheese and I think cream cheese and spreads it on bread that has been flattened with a rolling pin, she then rolls that with asparagus and fastens with a toothpick. She brushes with butter (I know, bad, bad, bad) and then bakes them for a period of time. I must dig that recipe out of my archives and see if I can "lighten" it for us to try. She slices these little "treasures" and serves them warm when we gather for wine before dinner. They are "to die for".... but who says that I can't try to figure out a way to make them healthier? Lite bread? Low fat cream cheese? Butter spray on top? Maybe there is a way to keep the flavor and creamy texture but shave off calories?
As for me, I have my Thursday quilt group. I shall bring my own WW one point bar as my treat to ward off bad vibes from goodies these quilters insist on dragging to each meeting. I love the warm and wonderful sharing people do at these meetings, but I can find a way to get by without sharing their foods! I should examine a few low point things I can bring to share perhaps as I feel it is my "turn" to bring something.
Today's eating:

Breakfast:
(tomorrow I vow to have something different, stuck in a rut and maybe I need to shake it up a bit to make the scale move?)
Oatmeal = 2
apple, microwave with nutmeg, cinnamon and splenda - 1
Cal. Countdown milk = 1
Points used= 4

Lunch will be here at the house. Less chances for me to lose control.

Dinner will be the pork loin I posted for yesterday and then didn't have. I will probably not have oven fries with it as it's going to be in the high 80s and humid and dear hubby has not installed my AC units yet. No sense having something that requires a 450 degree oven when it's already 77 degrees in my kitchen an not even 8:00 am!

Keep on trying! We can do this!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Yummy - Aspargus - It's just starting here too Erica. We don't grow it ourselves but up in Hart, MI, they have a huge amount of it and it sells for around .50 a lb but you have to go pick it yourself and the drive is 2 1/2 hours so that kind of defeats the purpose. We used to have a friend who would bring it down for us as her brother had a farm which harvested it but she moved to Florida over the winter. We have it in our freezer from last year but it's almost gone. Nothing is better than fresh small pieces of asparagus.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #34  

Good morning everyone! The next few days are going to be so busy...my head is spinning just thinking about it. I have two cakes due tomorrow night; I'll have to do the baking and decorating of one today and then decorate the other tomorrow. I was so mad at myself yesterday...I stopped by Wal-mart last night to get my ingredients, and forgot eggs! UGH! I was planning on getting started first thing this morning. Tomorrow night I have that other awards ceremony. My parents are coming down for it, so I've been trying to keep (get!) the house clean. On Saturday morning my mom is going to go to WI with me. And somewhere I need to find time to finish my final for my online class and post it by Sunday night! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Monday is busy, too....my final class, complete with a final and a ServSafe certification test, then a parent/teacher conference, then dd's preschool graduation. SHEW! So if you guys don't see a post from me, you'll know why! Sorry to unload...dh isn't "getting it" why the house hasn't become spotless this week. Uhhhh, I wonder?

Sooooo, unless I pull off a miracle, I think I'm going to have a gain at WI. Right now I'm weighing a few lbs higher. Darnit. I feel like I've been doing pretty good the last few days, though? At least I have today and tomorrow, so I have to make sure that I'm really doing good.

Erica-CONGRATS on the AWESOME loss! You are SO close to goal! I am so proud of you!!!!!!

Laura-Sorry about the strawberries. That stinks. We are grocery shopping tonight, so I'm going to add the ingredients to my list. It sounds like it will be a "gourmet" salad, and I love the combination of strawberries and balsamic. YUMMY!

Linda-I feel so much for you...I just can't even begin to imagine what you are going through and how you are feeling. I have a real fear of death...not for myself, but for people that are close to me. It is weird because it really has only been in the last year, since my cousin was murdered. I dream about him all the time...those vivid dreams that stick with me in the morning. Do you dream like that about your parents? I'm one of those "John Edwards Psychic Medium" people that believe that this is their way of coming through and saying "hi!" Maybe it's dumb, but it gives me comfort.

Unstablelady-Welcome to our family! After going through everything that you have gone through, I think you are anything but unstable. I hope you find a "home" in our group!

Well, I must run for now...hopefully I'll get a chance to hop back on later. Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #35  

Erica: I am glad to hear you have been running againg. Funny I never though that I was being creative in the excercise department. I will definatly take that as a compliment!!!

Derry: glad you are feeling a little better. I actually grew up very close to my cousin we are 11 months apart her being the older one (just had to put that in). Anyways, we were always together, I don't think growing up I realized that I was an only child b/c I always had and still have her. I knew I didn't have brother's and sister's but it didn't matter b/c she is like my sister. Growing up she didn't have any brother's or sister's other, she now has a half-brother. We went to the same schools, we did talent shows together, ballet, everything. We would stay at each other's house's all the time and pretty much spent any free time we had with each other. Now that I have gotten older I actually have another cousin who prefers to stay with us when he comes home from college he has his own room in our house and everything, so he has actually become like a brother. So I guess you could say I adopted a brother and a sister. I do have to admit though that I have always been somewhat of a daddy's girl, especially when I was younger I loved being around my dad, and of course he gave me all the attention I wanted, actually he still does

Everyone else I hope you guys have a great day!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #36  

Just need to vent for a minute...sorry...

I am so MAD at my husband right now! UGH! You know what he did?!!!!!!!! He just LEFT WORK EARLY to go to a baseball game! How friggen nice it must be to say, "oh yeah...well, someone just offered me tickets, so I thought I'd go." He called here to let me know, and I'm on my hands and knees steam cleaning the carpet with the little tiny attachment because dds spilled crap all over and got marker all over...and he's leaving work early to go "have fun with the guys." OH MY GOD I AM SO TICKED OFF. Not to mention that the game is at 1pm, in the Bronx......we live at least 2hrs from there, so the game, plus travel time home, plus rush hour........
Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #37  
In Search of Collarbones

S/C/G: 171/154/125

Height: 5'3"

hi! I'm back! life kept me busy there for a little while, and i didn't really have all the time i would have liked to check in here. so, a big huge impersonal HI!! to everyone.

i am still working CORE. I think that i have gotten the hang of it and i have made some really yummy things. i am going to spend some time gathering recipes tomorrow so that i can mix it up a bit though. i haven't weighed myself yet- it's been about a week and a half. i have no idea if i am loosing or not, and i have worked out exactly two days this month. i am going to try now to start getting up earlier in the morning so that i can work out before it is hot. I can really tell that i am losing muscle in my legs without my daily runs. urg. MUST get better at that!

well, i had to stop back in and tell you all hello. I promise to be better this time.

oh real quick before i go i had an NSV yesterday- i had a company lunch out at a restaurant. i am learning quickly that going out to eat is tough when you are on CORE. Soooo, i had a teesy bit of calamari with no sauce ( i just couldn't resist- it just melts in your mouth) and then for lunch i got grilled salmon, steamed veggies, and rice. i ate two bites of rice, all the salmon, and most of the veggies. all in all i would say that i did some pretty okay damage control. i just made up a flex number for yesterday- 10. Ouch. but that includes 1/2 serving of baked scoops and a two point breyer's ice cream.

i hope i'm doing this right.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #38  
burned out bus driver

Well, I am back from never never land.

Paige- well, that totally stinks about your Dh, but it sounds like something mine might do. (yesterday I got complete picklepuss, and lots of self pity from mine because I was going on the class trip in his car). So today my Dh took off from work to watch both Dd and Ds's games... Can't wish bad weather on your Dh, as it is really nice out.....we can hope the Yankees lose- which actually could work as they have not been too good recently. On a bright note, he could be at a strip bar- at least you know where he is. But I do so understand. A night out for you would be wonderful. Perhaps he will make it up to you for Mothers day.

Pixie- Core might just be a lot tougher when out- unless you are at a restaurant that serves grilled meats, and you can separate out the veggies.
I have found that most of the time I Guestimate the points while out, I am not too far off. That 10 points sounds perhaps a bit high.....great that you were honest and counted everything.

Haylo- how has your day been?

Erica! How excitingthat you are so close to goal, and had such a big loss this week! How are the leader training sessions going?

Welcome Unstable! It will be fun getting to know you here, and I agree, you sound very grounded to me. Hardly unstable! Welcome.

Linda- thanks for your insights regarding Mothers day. My mom is pretty much my best friend too- so I understand that closeness. After losing my dad over 20 years ago, I can only say that the pain does become less acute with time. It never goes away, but then, I really do not think you would want the pain to go away. What a blessing your parents were/are in your life. They nutured you to become a very kind, caring and special person.
You are indeed blessed to have had wonderful parents and a good relationship with them. Not only that, but it is great that you can see beyond the lectures (my dad was good at them too!) to see the love behind them. I hope that you and your sister get a nice lunch in- and are a source of comfort and joy for each other.

Hi Laura, Kim and Ann...... Sorry, I can only handle one page of posts at a time.

The trip was good- very, very long. We got lost both going and coming home.
And the teacher wanted to extend the dinner break into an hour. Thankfully I was in my own car, and the students I was driving, I either had their mothers in the car, or had mom's cell #. So we split off early and got home almost an hour earlier. Now, Dd has a 101 fever and sore throat. I am sure such a long day did not help her fight that off.
I am still pooped.....better sign off. I have been a good girl and gotten my walks in. They are my sanity.
Nite!
Ginny
Old 05-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #39  

Hello Everyone!! I can hardly remember what everyone posted, so I hope everything is good for all of you today. Welcome Unstablelady...
Paige, all I can say is if the baseball game is with the Yankees I hope they WIN!! I'm a big Yankee fan, although I no longer live in NY

I know some of us had a bad last few days, well at least I did. Having a bit of a time lately, myself. I have been making bad choices, but why I don't know. Not good, I do know that!!!
I've been talking to a few Leaders that have come into the office during the week. They so totaling understand the plight we all have. One of them, who lost 102 lbs told me, how much of a daily struggle it is. She looks SO awesome. If you saw her you'd probably say to yourself..hum, what did she have to lose 10 lbs???? She looks fantastic, and has keep it off since she lost it, which I believe is a couple of years. As a younger girl she attended WW camp. I saw her before picture yesterday, and her arms 'then' look like the size of her waist now!!
I have another leader friend who calls me at least 3 times a week, if she comes across a 'new' find. She told me of a nice cool drink at Starbucks...the cold Chai Tea.with soy milk...not too sure of the pts, but if we're doing core, it wouldn't count. The tea is no pts, and the soy milk is core. I am or rather have started to eat core foods, but writing down pts....today was my first full day. I did core once before when it first came out, and then went back. I'm going to give it a try for a week. I had a great breakfast and lunch and now I am having a WW Smoothie with 3 frozen strawberries. I have used up the rest of my 1 cup of milk serving = 1/2 cup.
Tonight for dinner I'm having 1/2 of 1/2 of a sirlion steak, 1 piece corn on the cob and string beans.
The only thing today I had to count was 1 sl of weight watcher bread with breakfast and 1 piece with lunch = 1 pt for 2 slices.
Hey this smoothie is dee-lish!! One of the leaders said to use 6-8 ice cubes and it will come out THICK....she was right!!
Anyway, I hope you all have a great rest of your day and evening...
I am determined to have a complete successful entire day.

Futurepixie - how are you enjoying Core?? Even though I had all core foods I wrote everything down in my journal. How 'bout you??

Well let's not forget....Bite it, Write it....Snack it, Track it

I am hoping to stay positive...I have w/i at the Exec Office on the 15th of the month, and Saturday @ my meeting.....
Hang in there, and remember ...It Works If We Work It

Last edited by L.J.; 05-10-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #40  

ecmom: thanks for asking about my day! I actually was doing well food wise until the girls from work decided to go to happy hour and of course it just sounded like a great idea. So I splurged on the nachos and the beer, I definatly went over my points and into my flex I guess this was to be expected considering thursday's for some reason always throw me off track. I do feel a little better knowing that I still had flex points to use so hopefully it won't so up during my WI on sat. I hope your daughter gets better, glad your are back safely from your trip!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #41  

Paige, thanks. I actually WANT to dream about my parents and it doesn't happen. It's actually happened three times, twice about dad and once about mom and dad together, and it was so momentary and weird. The only time my mom was in a dream was at Thanksgiving time and I dreamed that both mom and dad were seated, all dressed up, at the end of an extremely l-o-n-g dinnertable, they could wave to us, but not talk to us. I guess that was my own creation, thinking about how I wanted them at Thanksgiving and in my mind, I could try to envision them with us? Pretty weird, right. But, there have been no "visionary" chats with them coming to me in a dream with wonderful messages that they are "watching over me" and the stuff one reads about. Oh well. Maybe one day, or maybe they are just "at peace" and have no unfinished business with me? That would be a nice thought.
But, in the meantime, their daughter (me) has to stay grounded, and try not to eat herself into oblivion when times get tough.
Also, Paige, remember to breath over the next few days so you can try to stick to your program and have success. Busy times are when things can fall apart.
Haylo, I'm glad you have your cousins, then, and that they are like adopted siblings. You remind me that I need to write (e-mail) my cousin who lives in Seattle soon. I've not heard from her in awhile. She is an only child and she always kind of hung on me when we were kids. I found her annoying, as she was several years younger, but as adults, I find she's totally an OK person. I think she still looks up to me. I should be the one to reach out.
PAIGE!!!!! I'd be ticked off too! MEN! (Sorry if there are men reading our thread, there seems not to be, but you never know). My husband hasn't pulled that kind of thing with me very often, but I know it's painful. Once he took off with the kids to pick out a Christmas tree (something fun I wanted to be part of) and left me cleaning the house to get ready for HIS family to come. This was probably 10 years ago and I still have an unforgiving thought or two about that day. I remember crying while I was vacuuming the house. I deserved to go and I felt like Cinderella. I could have gone and then he could have taken the time to help me clean and share that work. At the time the kids were small and I was inundated with stuff to do, particularly at the holiday season. He should have been more considerate. I felt used and unappreciated, and it sounds like you feel that way right now. Just don't EAT because you are mad!!!! : )
This too shall pass. I'd let him know that on Mother's Day weekend, you the mother of his children would have appreciated him taking the kids while YOU could go do something vs. him going to the game. I'd dig the Mother's Day thing in a bit so he would recognize that he was more than a bit inconsiderate. He is "entitled" to a day out and a game now and then, but there really needs to be a give and take and it is a special weekend, after all.
Good luck with this!!!!! Just remember that there are two sides to every story, I'm a bit older and would like to think I am wiser (ha!) and have been married almost 23 years (next month). It's a give and take thing, you choose your battles. Sometimes you forgive, but you won't forget. I haven't forgetten the hurt of that Christmas and not enjoying the selection of that tree with my kids. It seemed cruel and looking back it still seems cruel to me. Yet, if I were to bring it up to my husband today, I'm SURE he would even remember that day as I do.
Pixie, great report! I could taste that calamari as you were describing it by the way. Sounds like you are just doing so well, I'm sure the scale will reward you.
Ginny, Thanks. Sorry the trip was long and you got lost, etc. But, it also sounds like you are doing well too. Thanks for the motherly type of remarks. I thought I was "over this" in a way. I really hadn't cried much in the last 4 or 5 months over my parents, and now I am a mess again. All it took was those sentimental Mother's Day ads and I was lost again. I sure wish I could tune out it all until after Sunday. I kind of don't want to recognize the day, but I know my own family will do something to "honor" me...
So, LJ, this smoothie was 1/2 cup milk, ice cubes (how many?) and three frozen strawberries... then in a blender? Is that a two point smoothie then?
I'm so hot this very moment that I would just adore something like that.
I should get back into making things like that as it's the time of year where cold stuff sounds awesome to me.
I'm just "melting" right now. My husband will install our AC units this week and I'm just dripping. It's been humid today and sunny, the house was already 77 degrees this morning when I got up, not it's something like 86 in this room where my computer is. Not a pleasant day. I can't wait to have my lite ice cream that I have allowed for as my dessert. I truly deserve it today!
I did stay on program today, I am using 2 flex points, but that is OK. I checked off all the boxes on my tracker and that feels good.
So, I'm on track, but I am still really sad and feeling blue. I hope that I can work through this Mother's day mourning thing I seem to have going on and stay on program as well as find peace.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Good evening - I'm stopping by to give my WI results. IT wasn't good. Up 1 3/4 lb. I didn't want to report it because of Linda's comment a few weeks ago about making 10% and being lax. It was a legitimate comment. It's time to own up to it and go forward. I know where my pedometer is. I know how to track. I know what it takes to make this program work. It's time to work it again. I spent way too much time getting to my 10% to get lazy now.

I had a really good day food wise but on the way to my 2nd job, I was contemplating what I would do for supper. I'll get off work at 9 p.m. and not have eaten dinner. How foolish and short sighted. I originally was trying to rationalize buying some kind of fast food. But after reading the posts here tonight, I realize that is not the answer. I'm going to call my son at home and ask him to put a potato in the microwave so it will be done when I get home and then I'm going to pile it high with veggies and a bit of 2% cheese and it will be a tasty filling dinner and well within my points.

Thanks for being here ladies!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #43  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello everyone.
Thanks for sharing all the great posts.
I find that tracking, and exercise have become a lifestyle for me. It is not as if I am on a diet but rather a way of life. It is like brushing my teeth and showering. I hope this stays the way. I do feel so much more motivated lately and I thank you all for that.
Linda my mother passed away six years ago, it was sudden and unexpected. I miss her quite often but I have been blessed with many wonderful memories and I was fortunate enough to have a great relationship with my mom.
I try to remember all the wonderful things about her every day. I hope I can be as great a mother each day as she was.
Erica way to go with the running today. One day I will have a shwarma. I love asparagus. It is so yummy. I like roasting it with garlic and olive oil.
Ginny, I hope your daughter gets better soon.
Future pixie it was nice to see a post from you.
L.J. The smoothie sounds yummy. That is amazing that leader that lost 102 pounds....wow.
Paige. I hope your day got better and that DH helps with the house once he gets home.
Unstablelady, welcome and from reading your post I would say you sound very stable.
Kim, I hope all is well with you.
Laura,,,,you have such a great attitude. I hope supper is yummy.
sorry if I missed anyone.
Have a great night all.
Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 05-10-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:15 PM   #44  

Hello everyone,

I meant to put this up earlier but kept forgetting. Last night on discovery health was a special I am sure you guys have heard of YOU on a diet, anyways the two doctors that are the ones who wrote this book had a special segment on last night. Several families were being tracked to see how sucessful they could be with proper diet and excercise the end result was them losing inches off their waist and of course weight. Anyways, I got a really good visual of what bad organs look like, on of the younger girls was having a hard time sticking to plan so they took her into their lab and showed her a healthy heart and a heart from an overweight person oh my gosh was I an shock, I felt so bad for my poor little heart after seeing that. I felt so bad that when my parents brought me some dinner last night I just ate the shrimp that was inside the taco and threw out the tortillas. They also showed some healthy arteries and arteries that had become hardened anyways it was a great visual and really put things in perscpective. Even though I went I little overboard today I kept visualizing that in my head and did control the amount that I ate. In the past I probably would have just kept on eating and drinking like nothing but not today.
Anyways, if any of you happen to come across it is definatly and interesting thing to watch.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #45  

Laura-I just made the strawberry salad...I added some more balsamic than what it called for, but it is fabulous!!!!! YUMMMMMMY!
Closed Thread