Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 06:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Counting down from 250 and beyond...November 12 moving towards Thanksgiving

Come join this group of friends from all over. We are on this journey of losing weight and improving health together. Its a long road full of bumps and dips. We share our success, our frustrations, our days of giving up and starting over. We also share recipes and menu plans.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:42 AM   #2  

Morning, gals! Its a beautiful day in my neighborhood -- all sparkly clean and pretty inside and out. Yesterday was smoky -- yeah, we live in the smoky mountains, but usually that doesn't mean there's a brushfire somewhere. Yesterday though there was -- dry air, high winds, bad combination. I gather its under control today because my eyes aren't watering any longer.

My big news is: I was baffled by what to wear to Mass yesterday morning -- you know, my time of the month + only havin' a few church outfits to choose from was combining badly -- when I decided to try on that Elisabeth suit my daughter made me keep instead of sell even though it never was gonna fit. Wellll.... yeah, you guessed it ... it FITS! Very cool. Then we had to make a big search through the house for shoes that weren't black or Birkenstocks. LOL! I'm gonna buy new shoes this winter 'cause as my hips slim, my wardrobe changes, and I need shoes that aren't black.

Linda -- Congrats on the 1 pound! Losing in fractions must be so frustrating sometimes - ya know, our scale at my WW meeting place doesn't do anything but pounds and half pounds -- no tenths. Strange. Here's the recipe for ya!

Quote:
6 oz uncooked spaghetti
2 cup(s) fat-free (skim) milk
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp table salt
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 oz Gorgonzola cheese, about 1/4 cup, crumbled
1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
3 medium dried fig(s), or 2 large, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup(s) chives, minced

Instructions
Cook the spaghetti according to package directions; drain and keep warm in a large bowl.

Meanwhile, with a wire whisk, combine the milk and flour in a large skillet, blending unitl the flour is dissolved. Add the salt, pepper and cayenne; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is bubbling and thickened, about 5 minutes.

Add the Gorgonzola and Parmesan cheeses to the milk mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until the cheese melts. Stir in the figs and chives.

Pour the cheese mixture over the warm spaghetti; toss to combine.

Lilac -- I'm sorry you're flagging right now -- its hard, hard, hard to face losing so much weight. I know -- heck, we all do here, huh? I try to remember that it took me a long, long time to put this weight on -- and its gonna take a long, long time to get it off. Slow, steady, down. That's what you're doing, what I'm doing, what we're all striving for. You, m'dear, you in addition to losin' so much, so quickly, are accomplishing things in every area of your life. We're proud of you. I'm proud of you. You should be too....

J-ann -- I want you to be my cheerleader when I plateau, okay?

Melhoward -- you gonna post a picture of your manicure when you get it? What a great reward!!! I'm planning to pierce something (probably my nose, maybe an eyebrow) for my first big goal -- which is dropping below 200.

Pawleys Gal -- Thanks for the suggestion. I'll call my local (and nearly local) hospitals to learn more.

My other big news is: I'm losing my hair in a big way. My shoulders always have a dozen strands of newly fallen hair on them, my drains are clogged, my brush is full. I'm thinking I may have removed too much fat from my diet? In any case, this week will be given over to web research on women and hairloss. The women in my family don't tend to lose their hair -- nor do they tend toward thinning (except when the medications they're taking as they age have thinning hair as a side effect anyway). Stress maybe? Ah, well -- think hairy thoughts for me, okay?

Old 11-12-2001, 10:22 PM   #3  
Slimwithin

Hello my friends. Another rainy day in paradise here.
This morning I went for my water fitness and got a fair workout. I didn't want to get my hair wet as I had plans for after the swim so didn't do any actual swimming this time, just deep water jogging and shallow water jumping jacks.
I've managed to stay op so far with DH away. It's actually easier without him around asking for desserts and snacks all the time.
Bunny,Congratulations on fitting into that outfit. What a breakthrough! By the way, I found the recipe already in an earlier post and made it for my dinner last night. Quite nice, but I really seem to prefer lots of chopped veggies in my spaghetti sauces. Sometimes I have so many veggies in my spaghetti that I can hardly see the pasta. LOL
You know, it really pays to check the nutritional information on packages. For example, my points book says gnocchi is 5 points per cup. I checked the info on the package I just bought the other day and it's 5 points for HALF a cup. I stuck the package in the freezer for the next time I have company. A lousy half cup of gnocchi is barely a nibble!
I have a challenge coming up toward the end of this week. I've promised some baking for my club's Christmas Craft sale. This will be a real test of my commitment. I've done it before without too much difficulty but ya never know.
Hello to all yet to come.
Linda
Old 11-13-2001, 01:16 PM   #4  

Default Thank you all so much

Hello there everyone!!!! Here I am, with tears in my eyes, wallowing in all this support and encouragement. You are all so lovely. Thank you j-ann for that post - I read it before I went off to dinner at the weekend, and it has been with me. And all of you. Thank you.

I am back on track! I think I am anyway. I dug out my journal and I have been writing it all down. I did go over at the birthday dinner, largely due to the fact that I drank the best part of a bottle of Australian Shiraz, and a glass of champagne.....which of course led to me then being undisciplined about the food. But I forgive myself. The scales may not forgive me.....but I can live with that I think.

I have made some changed which I hope are going to be helpful. I have put apples and bananas where I keep my weight watchers chocolate bars, as I was getting addicted to the ww chocolate (can you believe.... ) and I have put my pace counter back on my waist band. I have also planned all the week's meals and rearranged a couple of things where I was seeing people to go out to restuarants which have their points counted in the WW guide. So I am back on track.

I think.

Today I got a huge sense of proportion. I have a friend who I had not heard from for a week, so I called her, and found out that the numb arm and hand she has been complaining of has got much worse, she has lost some coordination in her left side, and has been called for an MRI scan.....which was scheduled for today. I went with her. what a weird experience. She had to lie on this thing and be glided in to this big cavelike machine which is some sort of magnet/radiograph thing which takes pictures of her brain and neck. I think they are looking for a tumor. Poor woman, she was very scared. I could not do much except drive her there and I just stayed in the room with her. We could not talk as the machine was very loud. I had to leave my earrings and everything outside as it is very sensitive. She gets the results on Thursday. She is thirty, just got engaged to be married. I so much hope it will be ok. She was very brave, but every so often I could see tears shining in her eyes. It has all come really suddenly. At first they thought she had had a stroke, but no. They just dont know what to make of it all.

Everyone, I love you all. Bunny, i am going to make that gorgonzola thing one day. I might use fresh figs rather than dry....should work. Ring round those hospitals why dont you. Best to get it sorted.

Back to my essay now - due in tomorrow...... . Its going to be a late nighter......

love, Lilac (who is off to WI now, even though it might well be a gain........)
Old 11-13-2001, 02:17 PM   #5  

up 3 pounds. Serves me right.

But tonight is another night, and I am not going to be that easily put off.

Hey ho, hey ho, its down the scales we go
with a lettuce leaf and a firm belief
hey ho, heyhoheyhoheyho..............
Old 11-13-2001, 06:21 PM   #6  

Hey, beautiful gals!

Its been another nice day here. I actually managed to use the elliptical trainer at the gym for ten entire minutes. I'm all over proud! Then I followed it up with 30 minutes on the treadmill. I'm gonna try to do fifteen minutes on the ET tomorrow -- its truly the most challenging piece o' equipment at my gym.

Dinner tonight was a bust -- I loved it but the rest of my family was less pleased. Here's the recipe anyway. It reminded me of egg rolls -- one of my favourite high points foods. There was enough here to fill me completely up -- not an easy task.

Quote:
1 medium onion(s), finely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 lb(s) ground pork
1/2 lb(s) ground veal
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 1/2 cup(s) mung bean sprouts
8 piece(s) lettuce, large leaves
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted

Instructions
Coat a nonstick pan with cooking spray and heat. Cook onion, garlic, pork and veal, stirring, until meat is browned.

Add soy and oyster sauces, stir and reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in bean sprouts just before serving. Divide meat between lettuce leaves and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Roll lettuce leaves and enjoy.

The menus today:
Breakfast: Shame on me - I skipped it!
Lunch: Deli RB sandwich at Subway, WOW chips, soda: 7 pts
Snacks: 4 Slim Fast bars (bad, Jen), a popcicle, and Wheat Thin Crisps (can you tell its that time o' the month???): 11 pts
Dinner: Asian-style Lettuce Wraps: 7 pts
TOTAL: 25 pts

I'll probably have some air-popped pop corn before bed as well.

Miss you all -- especially our less frequent posters.
Old 11-14-2001, 07:05 AM   #7  

Hello ladies!

I've been AWOL again. I just don't know what happened to me. DH is fighting a bad cold and I haven't felt quite "up" myself. We did go deer hunting but didn't get anything. Food at mom's was definitely not WW friendly but I did try to avoid some of the desserts she kept trying to get me to eat. And how can two days of not being as diligent as before make it so difficult to get back on track. I had 12 great days going in a row. Now only two days into my new week and I'm over by 17 points. So hopefully that will get me back to being diligent the rest of my week. It just amazes me how easily it is to fall off the wagon.

Lilac - We are here with and for you. This struggle can be so difficult sometimes and other life issues don't help some days either. I hope you get to feeling better and not another bad cold. Keep at your journal and planning ahead. You will get rid of those extra pounds. We love your posts too so do come around even if you're feeling down and frustrated. It helps to just post those feelings. I know myself there have been times when I didn't realize how bad I really felt about it all until I wrote it down and then realized that I can change that feeling.

Bunny - We'll start calling you the energizer bunny! Good for you on the ET machine. You're doing great and posting great recipes. The hair loss thing could very well be too little fat. I have read where that happens when someone goes on a too restrictive diet. But a doctor would be your best bet.

Linda - Good luck on all the Christmas baking. Before you start, sit down and write down all the good things being OP does for you and how badly you want to keep losing. Jot it down on a recipe card to keep handy while you're baking. Maybe that will help keep you from losing control or blowing your points.

I better get moving or else I'll just sit here all day long. I'm really strugging with making myself do anything this week. Have a great OP day!
Old 11-14-2001, 03:49 PM   #8  

Morning! (Or, er, afternoon!!)

We've been to the gym already today -- 20 minutes (!!!) on the Elliptical trainer plus another 20 minutes on the treadmill. I feel good. Tired, but good!

Meals today:

Breakfast: Slimfast bar 2 pts
Lunch: Subway RB deli style with cheese and chips: 7 pts
Dinner: Hamburgers + baked fries, ketchup: 10 pts
Snacks: Slimfast, popcorn, etc

Terri -- Its never too late to get back on track, ya know? I started my weightloss journey several years ago -- and lost 80 pounds and then ... stalled out and quit. I only got back on track a little earlier this year -- about the same time I found you folks here -- and instead of regretting the time I lost, I'm just pleased that I'm back on track. If I go up this week (I expect to -- its been a hard week with lots of TOTM binging), so it goes. Next week is another chance to do things differently. And if I'm scuttled by Thanksgiving (and mom's potatoes, stuffing, ambrosia, and more) so it goes -- I can hop back on the wagon again the next week. It really is always just the right time to begin again, ya know? (Hope that wasn't too preachy LOL!)

Now all I need is an buxom Energizer Bunny for an icon and I'm all set.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:52 PM   #9  
Slimwithin

Another pissing rain day (excuse my bad language, ladies). Very hard to get up early, especially with DH away and I could so easily sleep in but forced myself to go for my pool workout and was glad I did. Those stairs are getting easier every time.
So far this week I've been under my points just about every day but that doesn't necessarily mean a weight loss in the offing. With all this rain, I haven't been getting out for my walks and for some reason, I haven't done my strength training at all this week. That's something I'll do tomorrow morning.
I'm trying to get some little boxes painted for a craft sale on Saturday and then I will tackle the baking on Friday. Everything will get wrapped and labeled the moment it's cool enough.
Tonight I'm going to try a recipe I found in the newspaper today. Works out to 3 points per 1-1/2 cup serving. It's a turkey/spinach soup with pasta. If it's any good I'll post the recipe for you.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:34 PM   #10  

Boy, could we use some of that rain here! We're at what the local paper is calling an all-time high alert for brush fires. No rain recently, none expected any time soon. The air is still filled with smoky haze because of fires burning in and around our area (none are threatening any homes anywhere at this time -- so that paper tells me).

This morning we went to the rec center again -- I got in 30 entire minutes on the elliptical trainer. Tomorrow I'm trying for 40. Yee hah!!

Tonight we're headed out to the Asheville Pizza Pub/Brewery to watch Rush Hour 2 and gnosh on pizza (except me -- I weigh in tomorrow and damned if I'm gorging on pizza in advance of that ) Its my daughter's 14th birthday tomorrow and this was what she wanted in celebration. I also finished a blue jean/denim quilt for her last night (put it on her while she was sleeping) that she'd been dreaming of for sometime. All in all a good day -- and tomorrow promises to be more of the same.

Geri? Where did ya go?

(I'm bad with names or I'd list everyone I miss ... please, please, please forgive -- or come back and tell me I forgot you -- 'cause I want to hear from you!!!)
Old 11-15-2001, 04:01 PM   #11  

Question Could use some Advice

hello, I'm 25 years old and I have quite a bit of weight to lose, I have already lost about nine pounds in two weeks, but I'm afaid that I still have about 90-100 lbs to go. I haven't excercised yet, I'm kinda waiting till I lose a little more so I'll have more energy. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as diet plan, exercise, supplements, diet pills, etc...I could use some help right now.
I have only recently gained this weight due to some medication I was on for a few months being treated for manic-depression.

thank you
Old 11-15-2001, 05:13 PM   #12  
Slimwithin

Default Welcome, CapnCutie

Wow, they sure did a number on you, didn't they? As if you weren't depressed already, they go and give you meds that make you gain all that weight. Who needs THAT?! Well, you've come to the right place. Some of us post our menus regularly with the WW points tallied. Others mainly just come for support and sympathy. Nobody stands in judgment here whether you gain or lose but, of course, it's always nice to lose. You've made a great start with your 9 pound loss. That's a lot to lose in such a short time so I hope you don't expect to continue losing at that rate. If you're on Weight Watchers, you aren't supposed to anyhow.
Bunny congrats on your perseverence with the elliptical trainer. Not sure exactly what that is but it sounds painful. For now I'm sticking to the easy stuff and I really have to get more diligent about them. The pool stuff is no problem, but I DO have a problem getting out to walk as it has been really miserable here, not just rain but wind too...but really mild. So what's preventing me from using the fitness room at the same rec center where my swimming pool is? I've also been lazy about my strength training. It's not as if I don't have 8 minutes a day to spend on it. No excuse.
Lilac I've been wondering about your friend. Does she know the results of her MRI yet? It certainly does make us see things in a different light when someone who is supposedly healthy has problems like that. Our weight loss difficulties may seem important (and they are for our health) but certainly not as scary as what she's going through.
By the way, I made the turkey/spinach soup and it was really quick and easy but nothing spectacular. I'm using it much as I do the WW Cabbage soup recipe...it's a nice addition to a sandwich lunch and a low point snack when you want something warm and filling. I doubt if I'll make it again though as I have better recipes.

Last edited by LindaBC; 11-15-2001 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:59 PM   #13  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Well Ladies, I had last week off and admit I decided to slack off a bit and let myself fall victim to those fried food cravings for a couple of days. Guess what?? You can't eat a fried haddock sandwich and a Wendys Spicy Chicken sandwich and some KFC all in the same few days and lose weight. (As if I didn't know!!!) Any way I regained 2.5 of my hard lost pounds.

It's probably a good thing tho. It's pushed me right back to carrying my journal in my jeans pocket and drinking LOTS of WATER. I think maye I needed this shock.

The Y is adding another aquajogging class at 8 on saturday mornings starting in Dec. I'm going to sign up for that as well as the 2 I'm taking now on Tues. and Thurs. nights. It'll help me keep moving. Good thing I'm a morning person. I know a lot of folks that would choose bed over shoveling snow, in a swimsuit (suitably covered ), on a saturday morning.

Bunny: Good for you walking and using that elliptical. You're doin' great!

Linda: The recipe sounds neat. Keep up those stairs and working out in the pool.
You'll soon be so fit you won't reognize yourself!!

Cutie: HI! Welcome to the group. You'll find most of us doing Weight Watchers. Either attending meeting or doing WW At Home. It's probably the healthiest way there is to lose weight and learn a new food/exercise lifestyle. Pills only work while you are taking them....I KNOW!! We are all learning thru WW how to eat right and learn to live with a life long weight battle. We come here for friendship and support and ideas to make this lifestyle change a permanent one. Pop in as often as you can. Feel free to ask questions. We are all here to help each other.

Lilac: Glad you're back and back in charge!! How's the cold?

I forgot to change my sig., so add 2.5 to what's already there. Darn it!
Old 11-15-2001, 08:22 PM   #14  

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspart...elliptical.htm

Elliptical trainers are these dreadful jogging machines that our gym has. Its a very small, very unvaried gym -- six treadmills, two recumbant bikes, 4 regular bikes, 6 elliptical trainers. That's it -- no stairmaster or stairclimbers, nothin'. Happily, no one is ever there AND its a county run facility so its not gonna close even if no one else shows up -- so its nice in most respects.

Cutie -- ya know, one nice thing about exercise -- its releases all kinds of cool brain chemicals that make you happier. I love it -- even when my knees are failin' and my body is utterly weak from the effort. I think the key to exercise is really finding something (a) convenient and (b) that you like. I've fallen in a big way for the mother/daughter time I get with my teen when we work out at the rec center -- so that works for me. Other folks here find the aqua aerobics to be their thing, still other walk dogs, jog, etc.

LindaBC -- I'm looking for a good Hot and Sour soup recipe; any chance you have one in that wonderful soup cooking memory of yours? I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

J-Ann -- We've missed you!! I soooooo miss KFC. I rarely go -- mostly 'cause I can't eat what I like there and stay OP -- so I tend to go only rarely, and only when my will-power is up. *sigh* With all the water you'll be doin' this week -- drinking and jogging -- I bet next week will be a real winner for you!!!

Night, night, ladies!!
Old 11-16-2001, 07:16 AM   #15  

yeah its Friday!

Good morning! I just wanted to post that I'm barely hangin' in there this week. Not that I have a bad attitude, its just been a very hectic week and work and have gotten home later than usual almost every night. Either the work or the weird warm weather has left me exhausted and worthless. But the great news is that as of 4:00 pm today, I am on TWO, yes TWO weeks vacation. All I have to get through today is interviewing three candidates for a staff accountant position and narrow my list of seven down to three. I'll be braindead by 4:00. But oh so happy.

I must go off now and see about making bill payments online.

Cutie - Welcome!

Everyone else- you're doing great so keep at it and I'll catch up later!

Have a great OP day.
Closed Thread