Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Here's the Margaret Thatcher quote I was talking about last week from Aimee's Adventure site (check out her recipes - they are really good)

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher
Old 04-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #122  
burned out bus driver

Dd just left for the Dr....snuck in here again! Once I return to work (tomorrow ) my visits will be much more hurried and sparce.

Welcome back Paige. I am so happy that your Dh is going to join you on WW. That should help! (I will miss meeting you at a meeting, however, but totally understand). Sorry your Dd is not feeling well. What is bothering her?
As far as the $$ we spend on our health- I remember a leader sweetly scolding us in the meeting about expenditures we make on ourselves.
She brought up how we think little about treats for our children- but when it comes to spending it on say, a box of skinny cow ice pops, well then we become superfrugal and won't part with the $$. We are worth it....worth the extra $$ for what is needed to stay OP. But on the other hand, I totally understand being short on cash. For various reasons, money will be very tight in my household for the next month.

Laura- thanks for the Margaret Thatcher quote (a very facinating lady, BTW, I read a biography of her several years ago). Put any "excursions" from plan this weekend behind you! Sounds as though you did not do too badly, and at least did not fall prey to candy.

Ann- so you suffer from kids kicking you off the computer too?? Happens to me all the time....How has your day been?

Better go- I have been fighting some urges all am, but so far prevailing over them. Gotta finish planning dinner.
Ginny
Old 04-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #123  
In Search of Collarbones

S/C/G: 171/154/125

Height: 5'3"

Hello again! Okay, so I scarfed down a Lean Cuisine pizza and now my thoughts are more coherent. Not the best choice, but i was unprepared today, and the only thing I had to offer myself was some not great looking chicken and mushrooms and couscous. Oh well.

So, I have something for you to think on for a bit, you great thinkers and enlightening posters. This occurred to me yesterday while i fled the ham and potato salad. I really believe that this is becoming a lifestyle change, and that my preferences are changing too. I prefer healthy food to junk most of the time. BUT, I can also feel myself becoming more judgmental towrd people who don't eat like me. The more disciplined I become the more i become annoyed with people who eat a lot of regular pasta, full fat things, etc. Isn't that awful?!? I don't want to be this way. I know that others have the right to eat what they want just as much as i do, and that I have no reason to worry AT ALL what other people are putting in their mouths. But I find myself avoiding good friends because of their eating habits right now! Insight please? Maybe I am projecting the way I judge myself onto others? I would love to know your thoughts on this. It is really upsetting me as I try very hard to be compassionate and non-judgmental.

Other than that, I am going to be super duper good, work out like a crazy lady, and eat well this week. After the wedding, I am going to give myself a week or so to familiarize and gather recipes and shopping lists, and then I am switching to CORE. I need to shake things up and make better choices. I have a sesame noodle recipe that I THINK may be CORE if I use whole grain pasta, which I have. Any advice from long time Flex-ers on making the switch? Or is it really just no that big of a deal?
Old 04-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #124  
Kimmy

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/130

Height: 5 foot nada

Hi ladies,

Another on plan day for me today. I haven't done the treadmill thing yet but I will do it later on. Have to go out and pick up a few things and pick up my prescription but when I get home I will be jumping on the treadmill for an hour.

How have you day been so far? Post and let us all know how each of you are doing.

Hi futurepixie, ECmom, EricaL, Rosegarden, Newlifestyle, derry, mpaigew, haylo921.

Kim
Old 04-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #125  

Good evening ladies. Sorry to have been absent for a bit.
What a busy busy day I've had.... but I selected carpet for my daughter's room with her and made arrangements to have it laid next Monday. Whoopee! I have lived here for three years and bit by bit, we have saved up and done over one room at a time. Her carpet is gross and now we will have it all fresh and clean with nice padding. She'll walk in her bare feet and smile.
I've been busy getting organized as well as the rest of the carpet here will be cleaned on Wednesday, between emptying DD's room to have the carpet laid on Monday and moving things around and cleaning to have carpet cleaned on Wed, I am going to be getting major league exercise points!
I blew my eating over Easter, but it's over now and I have already moved on. I have no idea if I will have a gain or not tomorrow afternoon, but I am prepared to accept whatever happened or didn't happen. I had chocolate, and quite a few things I shouldn't have. BUT, I didn't make the devilled eggs in the end. We had egg salad sandwiches with all those colored Easter eggs and then this morning I just tossed the rest of them in the trash! My dad brought me up with the saying "waste not, want not" (he was a child of the great depression) and throwing away food goes against my grain, but today I just did it. Then, I threw out those wonderful malted milk Easter Eggs that I love so dearly too.
I will try to read every one's posts tomorrow, I'm really behind and so sorry!
I hope all is well with everyone.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #126  

Hello everyone,

Derry: Easter is just one day, brush it off and keep on going.

nibs: congrats on being on plan, don't you love when you can say that you were on plan that's a NSV.

futurepixie: funny you mentioned that because I too sometimes have that reaction towards people and the foods they are eating. I sometimes avoid eating out or going out with friend b/c I don't want to see what they are eating or drinking. Part of it for me too though is that I don't want to get tempted and I get frustrated that they are not worrying about what they eat or maybe they just don't care, especially since I am working so hard. I think I have actually convinced myself too that some foods are just not appealing anymore. Anyways, what I have come to realize recently and I mean very recently is that I am doing what is good for me, and I know that I am doing this for my health in the long run. So I just started thinking if they want to eat the bad stuff, let them do it. I think we are just becomming more aware of what we are putting into our bodies. I hope to be an example for some of my friends. It's funny b/c now a lot of times what I do when meeting up with friends is I say I am going to eat something healthy, what are you going to eat? And guess what if I order a salad usually they will too only b/c I brought up being good. It's funny how when one person does something, sometimes the other people around you will too.

ginny and new lifestyle: funny your kids kick you off the computer, my dad kicks me off mine. I guess he is kind of like a kid in that sense.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:06 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 193/189/158

Height: 5'10

Good morning everyone,
Well yesterday I had another good day. I wanted to respond to Kim yesterday to talk about how the day was going, but I was really trying to keep super busy so I wouldn'g get bored and eat! I'm not sure if I had mentioned before that the gym that I workout at had approached me about being a leader for a WW meeting that they want to start having there. Well yesterday I called our local WW headquarters and I have an appt. to be re-trained, as I have not been a leader for like 5 years. So I'm kind of excited about that. Only "kind of" because I've truly enjoyed just being a member over these last 4 months. On the other hand, I love motivating people when it comes to weight loss and living your best healthy life.

We went to Applebees last night, I had not been there since they added the WW menu. That was pretty fun to actually look at a WW menu in a restaurant. I had 8 points to play with. I opted for the grilled shrimp salad for 4 points. And then used my other 4 points to have part of one of DH's boneless buffalo tenders dipped in blue cheese, yum!! We went to Lowe's after for a few things, and low and behold they had the WW complete cookbook in their bookcase. So I snagged that (I love to do that when I know DH is "paying"). I'm pretty excited to have that cookbook, especially if I'm going to be a leader again, I really need to brush up on some new recipes. The only thing I was bummed about was that they didn't have any CORE desserts in their cookbook. I guess that leads me to my next thought of talking to futurepixie about my experience with switching back and forth between FLEX and CORE.

futurepixie- Back in Feb. when I was kind of maintaining, I decided to make the switch to CORE. I was actually very intrigued by the thought of it as I had been listening to Linda and two members in my meeting talk of how much they loved it. It is a completely different mindset (I think). First, the grocery shopping is different, you need to basically stick to buying lots of fruits, veggies, meats, whole grains, and FF milk and FF plain yogurt, and then I bought Splenda to sweeten everything up. My love for cooking really helps with being on CORE. Getting my saute pan out and being creative with the CORE foods and making sure everything is full of flavor and good textures, to keep my interest and motivation. The one thing that I found the most interesting is that I felt more relaxed on CORE. There was no need for me to stress about "how many points I had left for the day". No need for me to worry when we went out to dinner about ordering something, and wondering how many points were in everything. And the freedom of not having to journal is just the best. My challenges on CORE were definitely the sweets. The only thing I could come up with to satisfy me was the SF, FF puddings that have to be prepared with skim milk, or maybe FF yogurt with sweetened strawberries. Of course you can have your 5 FLEX points per day for sweets, but I definitely abused that. It was hard for my brain to switch from CORE (eating all that I desire until I'm satisfied) and then have to limit myself to 5 measely pts. for something sweet. I don't know, that's my take on it. As for me, I think I will opt for CORE as more of my lifestyle choice, but when I need to be more in control of things, I will switch back to FLEX (which I'm doing right now). I think FLEX really works around holiday and event times for me. That is the beauty of this program.

Linda- Have you noticed that we have the same WI day? Do you have your outfit ready? I kind of like having a WI day buddy, we can go through the whole range of emotions on the days leading up to it. That's pretty cool about your daughter getting new carpet, that's the best feeling on your feet when it's fresh and new. I would be so more apt to get down on the floor and do situps etc. if we had new carpet in our bedroom. Bad excuse I know....

Ann- when is your WI day? I love to hear your losses.

Ginny-glad you mentioned that about how not spending $$ on ourselves but think nothing of it when it comes to our kids. So true, so true. Yesterday DH was having a discussion with our kids that I overheard, and it was really nice. The older two were moaning and groaning about having to go to the childcare room at the gym that I go to, and he said, "listen, mom makes a lot of sacrifices for you guys ALL of the time", you can sacrifice 2 hours of your day and make the best of it so she can work out". I was so impressed! It has taken me awhile though to get in the mindset that I am doing all of this for myself, that I deserve this and that the entire family is benefitting from having a better me.

Laura- thanks for that quote, it's so true.

Paige-that's pretty awesome that your husband does WW with you. To have that kind of support and commrodary is so important with all of this. It must help you to really stay on track when he's doing it too. My DH is pretty good most of the time, but then when he gets that urge for fish fry or pizza, I'm like, oh no HELP ME!! But I guess it just helps to teach me to be stronger.

Haylo- It's hard to stay strong when it seems like you might be the only one amongst friends who is in a good mode of healthy eating. Through the different times that I've done WW I've found myself getting stronger and stronger with just sticking to my plan not caring about others' insecurities and jealousies about what I'm doing. And yes, I too start looking at other people's plates in restaurants and grocery carts in the store and just reaffirm to myself what a good thing that I'm doing. This is awful but a few weeks ago I had done my grocery shopping at Super Walmart (one of the worst places I think to food shop) and the woman ahead of me in line was putting all of her goods on the belt. I was by myself, not wrangling my 3 dd's in the line, so I had time to be bored and observe things. I was just amazed at what she had bought. All sugar cereals, soda, every kind of chip, full of fat frozen dinners, boxes of dounts! You name it, she had every imaginable junk food, not a piece of fruit or vegetable in sight. Was she pretty overweight? Yup! I just imagined the family that she was bringing all of this home to. Was I being extremely judgemental? Yup!

Ok, so this post is way too long, I'm sorry, but I just finished my third cup of morning coffee and my fingers are on fire! I'll check in later.....
Old 04-10-2007, 08:07 AM   #128  

Haylo, you have obviously reached a turning point in your weight loss, that is a very good thing. I wouldn't steer clear of eating out with your friends, though, but I know how hard it is to resist when people are just ordering all the things you would like to have - but then also you are also noticing a big change in yourself that you do NOT want these foods. Good job!
Erica, I am so proud of you!!!! To be retrained as a leader will be great for you and you will be affecting people with your positive attitude. I think it's excellent that you want to try our CORE at this time as well. I do feel that a good leader needs to know the pitfalls of both flex and core plans to be able to identify with the members and make good suggestions.
Just a quick thing here, as I am fast running out of time, CORE lends itself to some creativity just as you said. I can build a chili, soup or stew out of just CORE ingredients. I also started looking through my vast collection of cookbooks (I must have 70 or 80 cookbooks easily, I love them all!) and my vast collection (in a 3 ring binder) of recipes I have collected over the years and it was surprising how many of them are actually CORE or could easily be adapted to CORE. You can do some amazing things, just look at each and every recipe with a fresh outlook.
Yes we do have the same WI day and I think a few others have Tuesday as well? I have my weigh in outfit buried in laundry that is not put away, but it's clean and I will find it before meeting time.
Hi everyone else, Paige cool news about your husband doing this with you!
Gotta go, things are wild here today
Old 04-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #129  

Gooooooood morning all!

Nothing new and exciting here...it seems like I have been saying that over and over lately. I think I'm going to make up a bunch of meals today for the freezer...and I need to clean...

I have changed my mind and decided to go back to WW meetings. My chiropractor appts are down to once every two weeks now, so that saves me $30 a week from copays that I can put towards the meetings. I think I'm going to start with buying a monthly pass and seeing how that goes. I think I just decided that I really need extra help the next few months...I have to order my bridesmaids dress next month and we are going to the shore the end of June. I would love to fit into and order a smaller size of that dress next month! I told dh last night that I changed my mind and was going to go back to meetings...he laughed. He's quite used to my indecisiveness!

Ginny-Your comment about how much we spend on our kids kind of hit home with me, too. I got to thinking about how much I spend on them...I just spent $50 for Easter outfits for them (they did look really cute though!) plus probably $50-$75 on their Easter basket stuff (why has this holiday gotten to be more like Christmas?!) I look around the house and see hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of toys...I don't even know why we have them or how exactly we acquired them. Why can't I spend $40 a month to make myself a healthier person? Dh does it when going to the gym, why can't I?!

Pixie-How bad is this...I am like that (noticing what people eat) with dh. I don't say anything to him about it, but it is really hard for me not to THINK it. He eats like such crap sometimes, and it really, really annoys me. He and I are having a "cold spell" right now anyway...maybe that is what it is. It seems like everything he does annoys me. But that is neither here nor there. I do what Erica did with the lady in Walmart...I look at what the people in front of me are buying (I really think that is just human nature to do that!) I always assume the people behind me are looking at what I'm buying...they are probably thinking, wow, that is an odd mix of food.

Anyway...I need to go dig up some breakfast. I'll chat more later!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #130  
burned out bus driver

Good morning........well now it is afternoon.

Paige- I PM'ed you with the meeting information. I know Monroe would be a hike to you- but there is a Thursday evening meeting there too. I think Stephanie has that meeting. I am glad that you have decided to attend meetings. You do deserve it!

Erica- congrats on your decision to be retrained as a leader! What an empowering thing to do, and it sure does help keep you on track. And that is great news for you- you have to be within 10# of goal to train, right??
Applebees is great! I do not get there all that often, but it is wonderful to keep your slider in your purse, and be able to order with a smile. Wouldn't it be nice if more restaurants had WW friendly menus? Love your husbands support of you going to the gym! Yes, you do deserve it!

Linda- good luck with your WI. Hope your weekend does not hurt too badly at the scale. Are you getting some time for yourself, as busy as you have been?

Haylo and Pixie- I can completely identify with how you feel about poor eaters. Last year we went out to eat with Dd's roommate and her parents for pizza. I had a slice and a half.....had the points to do so. And of course a diet coke. Dd's roommates dad had a whole pizza and a half.....all by himself! Part of me wanted to strangle him. The other felt bad for him.
It is not realistic to avoid bad situations regarding eating. But it is realistic to turn those bad situations into better situations. And hope that by example you help educate others. Easier said than done, at times. And many times you just need to feel safe when eating- don't want to have to make those choices/portion control etc. Sometimes it is just important to know that what you are eating is "safe" (ala Applebees WW menu) or WW friendly. I would hope that noone would be offended if you needed some space because you were having a tough time with food choices/others food choices.

Kim- hope you got on the treadmill!

Got my WW tape done......4AP's. I have had issues with hunger recently, the last few days have been tough. Thankfully, I had WW week 1 soup in the freezer.
Better go get ready for my afternoon.
Ann, Laura...anyone else I missed... hope your day is going well!
Back to work this am, so I am back to my looney self.
Ginny
Old 04-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #131  
In Search of Collarbones

S/C/G: 171/154/125

Height: 5'3"

afternoon, ladies!

well, today has been a slooooow one here at work, so I took the time to peruse the core recipes, and print off some things that I think may be of interest and start making lists. I'm getting excited about it- i know that i can probably start on monday- that will give me the weekend of junky wedding food. after a few days of that sort of thing, i am relieved to be eating well again, and have more motivation. and i haven't gotten on the scale in almost a week! I am going to weigh on Friday though. But still, I have been pretty good, and I am really hoping for a loss of some sort- okay fine i want a big one since i didn't weigh in last week. There I said it!

Erica- I like to eat at Applebees too! I love their WW french oinion soup, and the shrimp salad is yummy in summer. And then there is the unmistakable feeling of being able to say, this sandwich is 7 points. Not, hmmmm, i bet there was x calories in this, and that was that.....And that is so exciting, you training to be a leader! I know you'll be great at it!

Paige, good for you for getting back to meetings! If that is what will help you, then great! And the way the $$ openined up in your budget, it is like it is meant to be! Well maybe not, but i like to think that opportunites like that come along to point us in the right direction. And yay for you for taking the cosmic hint!

I am so glad that I am not alone on the poor eaters thing! I was really starting to feel like I was a bad person or something. Just human I guess!

And to anyone else i missed, have a great afternoon- I will check in tomorrow!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #132  
burned out bus driver

Pixie- no you are not some bad person! Not by a long shot. Poor eaters can make life so frustrating. And their snotty comments can be obnoxious. Smile. Know you are doing the right thing for your body. Take pride in what you do.
Oh, BTW, Mr Pizza and a half (and I am not making that up!) went for angioplasty in the fall. Any wonder??????? Embrace Core, and make it yours....I am sure you will do well on it. Hope the scale fairy is good to you Friday.

I am here so that I can stay good. I have one point left......but eaten very well today and did not eat my AP's. Once again, my scale here says I am down. WI tomorrow....let you know how I fare!
Nite
Ginny
Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #133  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Ladies,
I hope you all have a wonderful evening and a great day tomorrow.
Tomorrow is my weigh in.
Good luck on your weigh ins Erica, Linda, and Ginny and anyone else who has a weigh in.
Take Care all
Ann
Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #134  
Kimmy

Good luck on your weigh in tomorrow Newlifestyle, ECmom...Hope you do good.

What's up EricaL, futurepixie, derry, mpaigew, haylo921, and Rosegarden? How was your day?

I was on the go all day today. I left the house at 9:30 this morning for a hair cut and didn't get home until almost 9 PM tonight. I ended up spending some time with my parents and then my sister invited us all to her place for supper. I stayed on plan. She made homemade Spaghetti and made it for me. She used whole wheat pasta and extra lean ground meat and also used lots of veggies in it. I still had points left over tonight. I didn't get my walk in again today. I'm not very happy with that but there's nothing I can do about that now. I will have to get up tomorrow morning and have a really good one. Maybe even do a little extra tomorrow evening to make up for today.

TTYS

Kim
Old 04-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #135  
Kimmy

Oh I forgot to tell you....I got a really nice haircut today and even covered up the grey. I went back to my "natural" dark brown and then got some foils put in it....RED AND BLONDE!!!! I'm actually now a hip mom!!!! I really like the color...wasn't sure at first but I have gotten use to it. The cut even makes my face look thinner..

Take Care....going to bed now.

Kim
Closed Thread