Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 07:23 AM   #16  

Default Saturday, long post

Kiwi, I'm with you. When things are off track, it's journal, journal and more journal. That, and water, are the key to success. If you add activity, you have it made - there is no way you will ultimately not succeed.
Hmmm... taking your shoes off to show a loss? Do you weigh in with shoes on at meetings? I never do. I also take off my watch and belt, silly me. If I always had a watch and belt on in the first place, why wouldn't I bother? However, I do it no matter what.
Do you all have a certain outfit you wear for weigh-ins? I try to have that through the laundry and read each week. If I always have exactly the same thing on (even underwear!) I know I truly have a loss.
Laura, good luck with the game. I have also had occasions where life just took over and I never got to a meeting. I have to admit that when life took over, the lull of those fast food drive through windows always existed and those were the weeks that I was not at my best. I hope that hasn't happened to you.
Hey, a very good thought.... if you do have to resort (hey, that's how life can be sometimes) to a drive up window for food, what are the best choices we can make at various places?
Noelle, I had to laugh at your "I'd strip down to my underwear" remark. I actually have seen, on more than once occasion, someone strip down to a bathing suit at weigh in (think she was convince that she was finally at goal and nothing could stop her!) and I saw another woman weigh in in a slip once. Ah, the things we put ourselves through!
Ginny, thanks. Another thought to keep us all motivated. Sounds like many of us have had back problems over the years. It's certainly something to give thought to when it comes to weigh loss. If, admittedly, all of us are overweight, and many of us have back issues. We must conclude that our back issues can be related to our weight issues. If we continue to strive for healthy activities and healthy eating, we will conquer both issues, perhaps?
Laura, just read that you did get to a meeting - way to go!!!!! I know exactly what you mean about how much you get from the meetings. I'm like that too. I see people come in and get weighed and leave and they never stay, I can't imagine if they are successful or not. Maybe they are very self motivated? I feel much like an alcoholic who goes to AA meetings or something like that. If I stop going, I might fall off the wagon. When I am attending my meetings regularly and following the program it's working for me.
Noelle, congrats on your loss! Good girl! Gosh, to get that 10 pound star so soon, what great news! Took me over 6 months to get mine, but I am equally proud of both of us.
Cool when it's not quite 70... I guess the saying is "it's all relative". I'll bet you'd be amazed being here in New Hampshire. It's about 30 out (warm, compared to the last few weeks) and we had about 3" of fresh snow last night, the wind is whipping and blowing around the snow. It's not a pleasant day at all so far, and pitch black as 6:00 am with not sign of it getting light really soon. The kind of day that indoor activities will be quite appealing.
Paige, I feel for you my dear and I can relate. I wish I was the fairy godmother who could come in, wave a magic wand and make it all go away. Do you have any kind family or friends nearby? If you do, try to weasel a day off for yourself. If not, ask your DH for a non-monetary Valentines gift this year, a day where he takes the kids to a museum or something and leaves you alone at home. Then, head for the bubble bath and de-stress, etc. Kids can be trying at times. How old is your daughter? I think you might have said 3? Forgive yourself and realize the saying "this too shall pass" and it will. From the way you have talked to us all, I know you are a great mom and a caring one. You've had a tough week, don't give up on yourself or on them. (((HUGS))))
Paige, put an add in the local paper this week. Say: "Mother of two, ages ____ and ____ looking for other mom's with children of same age to form a weekly playgroup." I did this when I lived far away from my family and it was so isolating. People called! We started a group and we meet once a week and rotated each other's homes. It was my "sanity time". The kids played together and we moms had coffee and got to talk. Eventually, we shared babysitting for each other as we got to trust each other and the kids were good friends. It truly helped.
DJM, cute thought about you taking the .50 out of your pocket, I've been there! One time I hadn't been to the bathroom before weigh in and was out running errands beforehand. I weighed in and had a gain. I was really bummed out. I then quietly asked if I went to the rest room would she do it again, she smiled and said "of course" and I actually lost .4 that day, must have been all the coffee!
Kiwi, hope the weigh in goes well. If not, try again harder!!! You'll get there.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 193/189/158

Height: 5'10

Hi everyone,
Well, I set a goal for myself for the weekend... and that is to have a "model weekend", something I haven't had in awhile, just to really stay on program all weekend and within my points. I am going to make a big crockpot of this vegetarian chili recipe I have, you can have 2 cups for like 3 pts.!

Paige- Oh, I so know how you're feeling right now. We have three little girls, and our two year old right now sometimes gives us a run for our money. When our 8 yr. old did it (at ages 2-4) it use to stress me out way more, I would really question myself like, what kind of mother am I? Am I doing something wrong here? But now that our youngest is doing it, we kind of chuckle about it more than anything cause it is actually pretty funny. But I know how hard it is especially in a store, I have had more rude things said to me, more dirty looks than you can imagine, when I am just trying to be the mother of a difficult child at the time. People who do/say things like that either don't have children or don't have a clue about young children. I remember before we had kids, I was just an aunt to my now grown nephews, I was the coolest aunt and at the time, I would tell myself that I would be the "coolest mom" someday. In my mind, that never happened, because you can't be a "good mom" AND a "cool mom" at the same time. Sometimes I even say to myself, that I wish my kids could've seen me in action as an aunt, then they would know my potential of how nice I can be if I wasn't so busy having to discipline all the time! Paige, you are an awesome mom and the hard days just suck, that's all there is to it! Hang in there!

Well, it's early, I'm on my second cup of coffee then I'm off to meet a friend at the gym. I'm very thankful for this friend right now, she is such a motivator. Yesterday we had a snowstorm here, but she was calling me up to take all the kids sledding, I didn't want to go (it was too cozy in our house), but we went! And had a blast! She also calls me up to meet her at the gym for extra workouts, she has no idea what it's doing for me.

Well, sorry for the long post, hope everyone has a great Saturday!!
Old 02-03-2007, 07:39 AM   #18  

Erica, very good thoughts.
I was reading what you were saying and nodding my head in agreement. What is it about our society that makes us feel like we all must be perfect? Also, what is it the makes others make rude remarks and feel they can get away with it.
We are all rushing far too much, and putting pressure on ourselves to be perfect. That relates to our kids and also our weight loss.
Breath, relax, count to 10 and have patience.
Paige, one other thing I wanted to mention....
When my two kids were about 1 and 3, I hired a local high school girl to come over and stay with both kids while I went grocery shopping, did my banking and what not. If I couldn't afford her on a particular week, I'd go when my husband was home if I could. Shopping with toddlers is traumatic, they just don't "get it" when it comes to things they see in the isles that they want. The stores do us no favors with brightly colored packaging and things organized right (think cereal isle!) at eye level for kids who are in carriages in stores.
Maybe you need to just not take them for a little while. It's hard having young kids. I remember how I was delighted when my youngest started nursery school. I have three hours two mornings a week to be ALONE! I love my kids, always have, but that "me" time was when I got the shopping and errands done on one day and on the other day, I took a quilting class so I would have some creative outlet.
Be kind to yourself.
Linda
Old 02-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #19  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning everyone. Linda thank you so much for starting this thread. There is so much great support here. Paige thank you from the bottom of my heart for your post. Funny thing is I didn't post last night because my DS was a little bear. There was no pleasing him. I put him to bed at 6:00 and I fell asleep too. Well he is so pleasant today now that he has had a good night sleep and now that I have had a good night sleep and read all these posts it seems easier as it is just life happening. Last night I was thinking what kind of a mother am I raising a child that is so out of control. I guess he was just over tired from getting up early and then tobogganing all afternoon. He is 4 and is much easier now than when he was three but some days are more difficult than others. He is too smart for my good. Ha ha.
I enjoyed your post because I realized I am not alone in this. Thank you. I wanted you to know that from your posts I can tell you are a great mom. You children have been blessed to have you as their mom.
Also thank you to all the supportive suggestions in this thread. You all have great ideas. I too am going to try some of them for example getting a teenager to watch my DS while I shop as I too have no family near where I live. I will also try to do the best I can. It is funny how we try to be perfect. I know I am not perfect so will just try my best.

I finally lost a pound this week. The leader thinks it may have been because I am exercising so much I am gaining muscle. I also need to eat more protein and get my full points in. I am always a few points short per day and very rarely use any of my activity points or my 35 additional points. I know this is all a learning experience.
Congratulations to everyone for their successes and for willing to be so supportive and help each other. You all show the true meaning of friend.
Sorry if I sound sappy but I am so thankful for this thread.
Have a great day everyone.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 201/172/128

Height: 5 feet 0 inches

Good Morning,

Yes I weigh with my shoes on and watch and jewelry. Sometimes I have jeans on. When I first started I had shoes, jeans, jewelry etc. So I've always left everything on. I figured when I had a week that I wouldn't show a weight loss I'd where lighter clothes or take off my shoes. Kind of SAVE IT until needed.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #21  
newlifestyle

Good Morning Kiwi. I see we are online at the same time.
I just read about the tornados in Florida. Is your area getting bad weather? I hope you have a great day.
Ann
Old 02-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #22  

Thanks everyone for all of the nice words. Yesterday was just a big meltdown day, and I knew it was coming. It is just so hard, I feel like I've just become such an angry person since I've had kids; it really does make me wonder why anyone would want to become a parent, and from what people tell me, it doesn't get better as they get older. The situation changes, but you still have the same stress. I've made the comment before that I could talk anyone out of wanting to have kids!!! My older one is going on 5; I think part of the problem is that she and I are very similar in personality. We are both stubborn and don't like to back down on things. It seems like we just clash, and we have pretty much always been like that. It annoys me so much when I tell people this, and they respond by saying, "Paige, she is 4!" That makes it even worse because there is NOOOOOOO reasoning with her. My younger dd is much more like dh in personality, pretty laid back and easy going. She's only turning 2 this month, and she throws less temper tantrums than my older one. If you ask her to do something (even clean up!) she's likely to do it. She's so loving and cuddly...so unlike my older one. I'm sure my older one feels like I favor my younger one, and I hate to say it, but I do to some degree. My older one is very hard to be around because she is always whining and crying about something. I really try to do things with just my older dd, too, because I know maybe she's just trying to get attention...if I'm running out, I'll take her, and she and I bake and cook a lot together. And during those times she's great, but as soon as we are done, she goes right back to being whiny.

Anyway...sorry for the long tangent...but it does tie into weight because the stress of it always causes a binge or just over eating in general. Last night was a little better...dh had wanted me to get out of the house when he got home and go see a movie, but it started snowing pretty heavily in the afternoon. So he just kind of took over after he got home. I'm really thankful for him; he understands how hard it is to be home with them, so he really tries to help out when he's home.

Today should be a better day. I got out a new journal, and I'm going to start my pts at my new WW pts allowance (30.) I'm hoping that the extra 4 pts will make it easier to get back on track. We are meeting MIL at Applebee's for lunch today, so I'm going to get something off of their WW menu. I also need to make more chili (I had to make two huge pots of it yesterday for a church thing) for a superbowl party tomorrow. I'm going to make it a little healthier, though, and instead of ground beef I'm going to use ground venison. So at least then I know there will be something at the party that I will be ok eating.

Anyway...I need to get going. Thanks everyone for listening.

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #23  
Kimmy

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/130

Height: 5 foot nada

Hey guys,

Getting ready to go to the cabin now. I don't have time to read the posts right now and respond to them but I will when I get back on Sunday night. Have a good weekend.

Kim
Old 02-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #24  
newlifestyle

Hi Paige,
I was not meaning to minimize what your are going through. It was just a horrible day for me yesterday too and when I read your post it made me feel a bit better. I was feeling like I was the worst mother in the world.

My younger one is very difficult all the time too. I have an older son who is much older than the younger one. The older one was so easy going and a joy to be around. The younger one is much more difficult because he is high energy and very stubborn. It is his way or the hiway (it seems anyway). I too think the difficulty for me arises as he and I are alike. I do find though as he gets older it is easier to reason with him for the most part. Sometimes though there is no reasoning. I was just fortunate with my older one that he was so easy. He made being a mother a true joy every day. I do hope it will get easier as my younger one gets older. I am so sorry for what you are going through. I will keep you in my prayers.
Please take care of you Paige.
Ann
Old 02-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #25  

Just want to say (and I don't want to make a long post as people won't have time to read it all!) that it truly will get better. They do grow up, as my MIL used to say "in spite of you".
My daughter is very similar to me in personality as well and we used to clash, something happened somewhere along the line and she, at 16, if finally more my friend. We don't look at things the same way and probably never will, but it's better.
Gotta go, that treadmill is calling my name.
Linda
Old 02-03-2007, 10:17 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 201/172/128

Height: 5 feet 0 inches

Hi Ann,
No bad weather here although it is cloudy. Thanks for asking. I went to Canada once as a child. I used to live in Washington State and we would take the Ferry. I loved it!

Hope Everyone is having a great morning. Torchering myself must have helped because my scales are showing a 2 pound lost. I hope their's will show it too!!
Old 02-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #27  
barb

Height: 5'7

New life style, My leader told me to eat an apple with pnb on it before working out. That helped with controling the hunger throughout the day. I was always starving when I came home.So protein is good to have before youworkout...

It is freezing here.... I think it is in the single digits.... We went to a basketball game at 9.am. It was so cold. we are home know and I am staying in. I still have a cold, but dh took us out to dinner. We had fun and I needed it so bad. Did not eat much just a small slice of pizza,(cheeseburger pizza) Yah my kids ordered it, (I am sure that is why I only had One slice) and a salad. So I have been very good and hopefully I will have a loss even without getting in a workout sincew MOnday.....

No parties tom so I am happy. What about you all. Any parties?????Dh is making ribs and all kinds of bad food so I need to plan something if I get my taste back...At least I can be in control here at home.....

Talking about kids my ds was so bad at the store today. We ran in after the game to get staples and he was crying and MAD that we stopped at the store. Thank god Dh was there cuz I quickly disappeared and let him take care of it. HEHE I could not take it at that moment..... I laugh about it now but it was crazy at the time......But hey they need to step in too.

I hope you all have a great day...... Exercise for me.... BArb
Old 02-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

WOW Tons of posts since I left yesterday for the game!!!!

We are getting hit by a blizzard. I managed to convince my 2nd job that they could do without me tonight and so I've been at home hibernating. I made a batch of the mexican soup and DS and I have been eating it today. I don't think there will be much to freeze this time around. DS seems to really like it. That's a good thing. It's very filling too and I love it in this cold nasty weather. I'm sitting here with a blanket wrapped around me. The computer area of the room is in the corner which seems to catch a chill in this weather. I may have to go take a quick bath to warm back up. But that's okay because I'm totally vegging today.

Paige - just keep at it. You do want your child to be one that people want to be around. No matter how difficult it is. Believe me, you'll be thankful that you did it early as the older they get, the harder it is. Some days are just harder than others. That's all there is to it.

Hope everyone's day is going great. Stay warm and keep the faith
Old 02-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #29  
newlifestyle

Barb that sounds like a great idea eating pb on apple. It would be an easy way to get protein. I was wondering how I am going to get my full points in.
Good Job Laura about convincing work they don't need you there. We are getting quite a storm here too. It seems so cold. I hope everyone stays safe and warm.
Take Care
Ann
Old 02-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #30  

Oh well. That is a good way to start a post I guess?
I blew it tonight. I've been so good for the most part this week. But, I was having a sad/depressed day and that always has it's contributing factors to my eating. We went out to Longhorn Steakhouse (I just adore that place). I had wine, which probably was a bad choice as it makes you "weak" in terms of lowering your inhibitions?
I had some kind of cheesy seafood dip that came with nacho type of chips, but I didn't eat all that much. I had bread with real butter. I had fillet Mignon, mashed potatoes and asparagus. I thought the mashed potatoes would be a better choice, but they arrived with a huge amount of butter melting all into it. I should have been smarter, but I have to admit I ate it all.
I guess I blew it for the day/week tonight.
At least I was on the treadmill for a half hour today, but I still feel like a failed.
However, tomorrow is another day. It is Superbowl day and we are planning pizza but maybe I'll be smart and make a big salad?
Not my week, had to confess my sins.
Linda
Closed Thread