Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default LWL #272 - September 11 - 17

Where are our early people? Do I have to do everything!

Hey everyone, I hope everyone has a good week. I weighed on my official scale this morning and I lost 2 lbs! My home scale was a bit up from yesterday so I figured I wasn't going to be 264 but I'll take 266

I bought a protein powder yesterday that is packed with protein. Basically, 1/2 a scoop provides me the amount of protein in normal scoops of protein powder. I tried 1/2 a scoop and it tasted so watered down. I'm not sure if I want to mix it with another protein powder or not. I guess that is what I get for wanting a protein powder with no fillers.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:06 PM   #2  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Yeah, where is everyone? My weekend didn’t go too bad food wise, could have been better but I’ve had lots worse. Got a good workout in at pilates on Saturday and burned up some calories running after the dog at the beach yesterday. I was so exhausted when we got home I didn’t even get to do all the laundry I needed to or other little chores. Oh well.

Tried on my bridesmaid outfit yesterday just to see how much I needed to get alterations done, it seems I’ve shrunk a bit since I bought it even if I haven’t lost much weight.

Going to yoga tonight, it’s been a couple weeks since I’ve done any serious yoga so I hope the instructor goes a bit easy on us.

Exciting news, we got a call this morning from our good friends who are taking a long vacation touring Israel. They are now engaged! He proposed at the Nahal David (David’s Waterfall) in Ein Gedi national park. How romantic.

Another wedding? I feel like every time I turn around these days another friend or family member announces they’re tying the knot. It’s not that I’m not thrilled for each and every one of them, but weddings are exhausting and I'm not really fond of formal wear. Time to plan another engagement party.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #3  
Mel

Thanks for starting the thread, nelie, and congrats on the results of your new cleaner eating!

I could barely drag myself out of bed this morning- it's starting to be darker in the mornings and I don't do well with that. Last year I borrowed a SAD light from a friend, but she decided that she really needed it back. I guess I need to buy my own. They are just so much $$$$.

This week is "get the food right" week. Last Friday was my birthday and I basically felt sorry for myself for 4 days, then went out to a much too big dinner on Saturday. Now I just feel fat AND old. I need to step up the cardio and clean up the food. I cruised along so well for years, but the last few months have been tough.

Did legs heavy just before lunch in a empty gym- hard to keep the momentum going, but no waiting for equipment

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

Mel, my DH uses a SAD light, in fact has started already as our sunrise is now 7:15 (and we get up ~6:15). Our sunset is 8:35 today, so 13 hrs, 20 min of daylight, and losing every day.

The light we have is here http://www.litebook.com/index.htm

DH says (a) it's fairly expensive and (b) it's smaller than what some people recommend so you need to sit fairly close to it. He uses it at breakfast for about 1/2 hour and does fine with it next to his place setting at the table. Basically you want it directed right at your face, but I guess you know that if you've used on before.

I had a good weekend, with so-so eating, but am back on track today. Going to the grocery store helped. DH caught a 16" trout yesterday which we grilled for dinner,and had with our own home-grown tomatoes, green beans and peanut potatoes. Can't beat that!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hello everyone,

I've been watching this forum thread for a while and thought I would just pop in and say "Hello."

You all are so motivating I just wanted to say "Thank You" for sharing your experiences and information. I have learned enough from all of you that I can "own the bench" for an hour in the free weights area during upper body day. "It's mine, all mine,..."

Tonight I am taking swimming lessons for the first time. I'm a little apprehensive. I have even gone to the point of googling "teaching adults to swim" just to see what I may be in for tonight. Oh boy... I have two scenarios in mind. The first one is where they have one of the high school students instruct us to blow bubbles in the water for half an hour. The second scenario is where a guy three times my size says "okay jump in or else I'll toss you in." Hopefully it will fall somewhere in the middle.

Time to see if my suit fits...

Congratulations Nelie with the two pound loss this morning! Each and every pound represents so much hard work.

Happy belated birthday to you Mel. :
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Welcome Lydia - I've seen you on the exercise thread that I just found this weekend (duh). It's a S-T-R-O-N-G group of women (and man) in here!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEL! I'm sorry it threw you into a funk, but you're back on track now, right? RIGHT? RIGHT!

2 cardio sessions today for a total of 1 hour. I must be losing my mind. This would have seemed impossible just back on Aug 31. This HIIT is good stuff. I would have died from boredom and misery doing this on my old treadmill routine, but the HIIT keeps it interesting and ever changing! LLLLLLOvin It!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #7  
Mel

Hi Lydia Glad you delurked and decided to join us I hope your swimming lesson goes well. Are you a non-swimmer or looking to improve? I tired to take lessons about 8 years ago from a friend who had been on the US Olympic team in the late 80's. She watche me swim a few laps, and asked why I wanted to swim. When I told her "for exercise- to burn MORE calories", she told me to just keep doing what I was doing. My interpretation of that is that I must be expending the maximum anount of effort possible, thus am the most inefficient swimmer on the face of the earth Congratulations on "owning the bench"! How long have you been lifting?

and are you a Buckeye fan?

Mel
Go Bucks!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #8  

Happy Birthday Mel!!!!!

Welcome Lydia!!!!!!

I have been working out and eating clean and neither the scale nor tape measure moved again. I even gave up my "not completely clean" day last week.

I'm trying very hard not to be discouraged. Anyone who knows my history knows this is me...it's very hard for me to lose weight/inches and takes a long time.

My T-Tapp came today. I want to sit down and work out a schedule to do cardio, weights, T-Tapp and pilates. I'm not sure how to work all this in!!!

I might get up early and do T-Tapp or pilates and then do my weights/cardio at night. I am afraid, at this point, not to do cardio so I work it both in somehow at night. I am going away this weekend so will most likely miss a workout day and not eat so clean. Maybe it will jump start things! Who knows? I never get it.

Thanks for listening!
susanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:01 AM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Happy Birthday Mel

I'm just feeling quiet otherwise I wouldda started the thread yesterday.

Same old same old I'm afraid. Neither tape nor scales are moving, had a clean and a half day over the 2 day weekend. Got asked out for pizza on Saturday But only had 2 slices of thin crust and a HUGE salad, so not too bad.

Same old kickboxing, Blue belt test tonight, same old frustration, same old stuff.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Frus, Have a little patience

Mel, Happy Birthday

Sunday I was really sore and tired, so I didn't exercise and decided to take it as a rest day. Yesterday, I wanted to watch movies with DF and he came home from work late. Also before he came home, I was addressing my invitations so I didn't have time to do any exercise. I know two days in a row without exercise. Exercise was so much easier when I was alone (not that I'm complaining ) Tonight will be some sort of exercise, probably upper body at home.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Did another 1/2 hr on the treadmill this morning. Kids are off school today due to it being primary elections day. I don't even think they vote at our school - ugh, don't get me started. 2nd day off already since Aug 28, NOT including labor day. There's no surprise that our school runs until June 16 or so each year. Anyway, dd woke me up demanding breakfast in the middle of a dream so have been in a Funk all morning. I feel like my hard drive wasn't powered down properly and all my files are misaligned or something, kwim?

LBWO later today, maybe at lunch to try to defunk myself. The earlier the better. 3 more days til my bimonthly weigh-in, so I should keep focused on that horizon.

Fru, I have never seen you at less than speed of 1000 mph, so this is a first for me. I hope you get your high octane back soon. Hang in there!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Happy belated Mel,

You are not old. Old people smell funny, babble incoherently and forget that they told you the same story 15 minutes ago. My 95 year old grandmother also is not old. She uses a treadmill, takes her walks on sunny days, reads her Bible and writes out her lessons, eats so clean its scary. She boils fresh vegetables, cools the water and then drinks it! (she also eats the veggies) If she ain't old, you definitely ain't old.

I'm also not old, but boy did I BLOW it nutrition wise. I am up to 190 - my back is wide enough for four ladies to play bridge on it, tummy is huge, high and round enough to be carrying an 8 pound baby. I'm very ineffective at cheer practice and have outgrown even all my "big clothes." I've got to figure out a new work out schedule but since DS moved out, I can no longer go to the gym at 4:30AM because I can't leave DD at home alone. I gotta figure out something though because I am having trouble with basic things like keeping clean, tying my shoes and wearing high heels.

Peace. Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #13  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies.

Mel, I am a brand new swimmer. The class went great last night. The instructor has been teaching for 10 years. He as very respectful of the fact that he was working with adults who obviously weren't clammering to all jump in at once.

Am I a Buckeye Fan? Well, yes, I have to be. But I don't carry it to an extreme. I graduated from OSU and am raising my sons about five miles from the university. So we are surrounded by it. Our friends are really insane about it though. Pitiful really....I do make really great buckeye chocolates though. Not that I would every eat one now. I just make them for everyone else

I've been lifting for one year. I began September of last year. OMG. I LOVE IT. Lifting has really changed so many things in my life I just had no idea how important it would become to me. I can't even begin to list all the reasons I need to do this. It just makes me happy...

Off to enroll my youngest in a gymnastics class. He keeps jumping off the couch and rolling into a summersault onto the floor. My husband just looks at me and say "get him in somewhere..."
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #14  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Poor Tiki - you WILL figure it out Just check out that siggy line! I it!

hrbabe - High-Octane Fru will be back tomorrow, probably! I'm aiming to get on my bike and ride - at least it'll give me something to sing about... (Fat Bottomed Girls...)
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #15  

hi LWL,

Hi Fru - how is thew high energy charging going? You sounded a bit off, i hope you are not overdoing things...take a break maybe? Go to a movie or sit on the couch, watch a silly DVD & nibble a bowl of fruit ???

Mel - what do you mean old??? You are my role model! I want to be like you when I grow up! I want that hard body & low bodyfat!!

TIKI - How absolutely great to see you back! I've missed you & the cheerleading practice stories. In my endeaveours to get DD into something of a shape that she might be able to reach her toes, we are now trying pilates on the ball, and trying yoga. Funny thing, she is every bit as bad at gymnastics as I was.

I was in a bad state yesterday because of job stress. Worriing that if I loose this job, I will have a housing problem since XH is trying to get more money from me for the use of his part of the house that he is actually paying for the kids. But i went to power class, and i feel a lot better today. I'm very busy contacting people to get a "plan B" started. And though I was sorely tempeted to buy and indulge in forbidden food, I took a bowl of melon chunks instead.

have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote