Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

Default Need help tweaking my work outs.

I posed last week that I signed up for a fitness class at my college. The requirements for the work out in this order:
8 - 10 minutes of cardio (elliptical, stationary bike, or treadmill)
Full body stretches
Run the circuit of weight machines
5 - 8 minutes of cardio

Should I increase the time so that I get at least 20 minutes of cardio in? (I typically do the maximum required) I CAN do more and would like to best optimize my options. My goals are to lose weight, a lot of weight and to build some nice muscles.

I am taking this class for credit, which is nice, and I do plan on purchasing free weights to use at home.

Thank you in advance.
BeatlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:37 PM   #2  
Mel

How often do you do this class? Is it your only gym time? If you want to increase cardio, add time at the end of the workout. The first 8-10 minutes are a warm-up. Or you could do longer cardio on alternate days when you aren't doing the circuit training...depends on how many days you do this

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

I go Monday - Friday and in order for it to count towards my grade I have to follow their set order, but I will add more cardio time to the end of my routine. On the weekends I walk for exercise. Thank you for your help.
BeatlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #4  
Meg

Opinions are going to differ about how much cardio to do, but my recommendation is for at least 30 minutes at the end of your five workouts for maximum fat loss. Don't be afraid to mix up the kinds of cardio!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:30 PM   #5  

I agree with Meg. 30 minutes of cardio at the end of your routine should really help out. And definitely, mix it up so you don't get bored! You might even try some interval training.

Good luck! I think it's awesome that you're getting college credit to lose weight and get in shape!
hellcatjill is offline   Reply With Quote