3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   BFL for Women (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/65478-bfl-women.html)

irishgreengables 09-20-2005 10:06 AM

BFL for Women

I was at the bookstore yesterday and saw BFL for Women. Is there any reason to buy this book if we already have BFL?

MrsJim 09-20-2005 12:43 PM

It's a COMPLETELY different book, and much better IMO (if you're a woman that is).

IMO the original BFL book was written more from a guy's point of view - this book was written specifically for women, which is a GOOD thing, because women ARE different from men. One thing I really liked about the new book is the way that the author, Pamela Peeke, breaks down the age groups, since as we age our weight loss/fitness challenges change. I wouldn't expect Bill Phillips to be an authority on such things as how mensturation, childbearing and menopause affects weight control, for example.

If you are accustomed to the original BFL book, some things about the BFLW book might throw you for a loop at first. While there is a 12-week program, the book is geared more towards permanent lifestyle changes - a good thing IMO. I like the before/after/'after' after pictures on the frontispiece of the book - the original BFL (along with the annual contest) seemed to promote getting to that 'perfect' body for 'one moment in time' - similar to a bodybuilding competition (there were several message boards which seemed to devote a lot of space to tips on how to dehydrate/hydrate/carb load/supplement (with diuretics, etc) in order to get the best 'after' picture for the BFL contest). Showing 'after after' pictures taken years later and the women STILL looking great is much better than the unrealistic 'one moment in time' IMO.

I think one of the most controversial aspects about the BFLW book is the total elimination of the Free Day. Yup, I know, there are a lot of folks out there (I was one of them actually! :D ) who were attracted to BFL mainly BECAUSE of the free day. In retrospect (hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it?) the Free Day might work great for some people, and for guys, but for me...nuh-huh. This was discussed at length at an earlier thread about the book that you might want to check out (especially Mel's and Meg's posts!) - Pamela Peeke's New Book

I'd recommend checking the book out of the library (that's my modus operandi anyway...) as I realize that 'one size does not fit all'. ;)

irishgreengables 09-20-2005 12:47 PM

Thanks for this. In fact, one of the reasons BFL has not been one I have followed is precisely because of the free day. I cannot do a free day. It does not work for me and it does not promote a lifestyle change for me. In fact, for me, it reinforces the "diet" idea. I am very happy to read what you've written and, since I have a gift card, I might just go ahead and pick it up. Thanks.

Jennifer 3FC 09-23-2005 01:56 AM

I love BFLFW - I'd definitely recommend getting a copy!

4rabbit 09-24-2005 05:55 AM

I recommend to get a copy. BFLW gives a lot of specific female - gender based information that for me was totally worhtwhile.

irishgreengables 09-24-2005 09:55 PM

So I bought the book and read it this weekend (well, almost done). Here's my new question: would those of you who have read both and have some experience with BFL do the weight training as spelled out in BFL or as spelled out in BFL4W? I am curently a bit confised by the original BFL, but also think it looks more intense. WOuld that also make it more effective? I have been lifting for 10 weeks now and had lifted pre-pregnancy for a year so I am not new to this. Your thoughts?