Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-20-2005, 05:39 PM   #16  

Susan, ugh on the bursitis. No tips, just be careful - a couple days off might help it heal and shouldn't lead to a big gain.

2F, way to go with the kicks and the lacrosse! My DH started playing goalie in his hockey league last week, 3 games in a row! Needless to say he's been a bit sore, but he loved it.

I'm sticking with activities where I won't fall on my butt on the ice Changed up my lifting splits this week, went up to a higher weight on most things, less reps; it feels really good so far.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:19 AM   #17  

Hi LWL,

Susan- how is the hip coming along?

2F - WTG on the BK !

I did 35 mins stationary bike & 10 minutes stretch. I will also mow the grass this afternoon. It was too wet this morning.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I haven't had much trouble with the hip. Although I haven't asked it to do anything special either Thanks for thinking of me gals. My friend asked me yesterday if the 3fc forums were postive and supportive ..... hmmm ..... well, yes, indeed!

My body is just crying for a heavy workout. I'm starting to get antsy about it. So, I'm gonna see what I can come up with that is 'right-hip-lite' and I'll let you know how it turned out.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:21 AM   #19  

Well, that wasn't too bad. I could do just about whatever I wanted as long as I set my feet right and I didn't use a very heavy bar. SLDL's, squats, a bit of abs, leg press (not too heavy). Then I did hanging calf raises. When I got shaky, I wobbled down the stairs and back up and did some more ... 5 times. Then I started to lunge walk out to the mail. Lunges aren't good. It was hard to keep my hip in line.

So while I didn't have a heavy workout (probably wise) I did have a good satisfying LBWO. That feels much better.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:58 AM   #20  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Glad you managed a good workout without too much pain!

I went to a Body Pump class last night! Last time I went I enjoyed it but was using tiny weights cos it was "my first time" then last night I told instructor I could squat 50lbs so she told me to use 20kg for leg work and 10kg for arms. It was crackers! I couldn't even press the 20kg over my head! So I missed out a set changing the bloomin weights down. Words like "tone" and "sculpt" were used. She told me that lower reps with heavy weights were for "bulking" and that all the class did was "tone". I wanted to leave at that point!

Apart from that I feel good! Aching slightly all over but it might be more to do with 4 hours on the motorbike rather than the "toning" class!

Double kickboxing tonight
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:16 AM   #21  

Hi LWL,

Susan - good to hear you are managing the workout with bursitis

2F - Are you in the right class?? This body pump sounds awfull!. It totally reinforces my gym anxiety. Good for you also on the motorbike. I have one sitting in the shed. I haven't used it much since the kids were born...and now I have to gather up my courage before I use it again. Another aspect of "rebuilding life" after a decade of combining work & family.

Biked to & from work today - 20 kms, 80 minutes

have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:27 AM   #22  
aka Superwoman!

I only go to body pump when I see my friend! It's good exercise - when I get the weights right! I'm just not convinced the instuctor is clued up!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:39 AM   #23  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

Hi guys,
I'm sorry but I never really leave comments on this particular for LWL because I thought maybe I wasn't lifting enough but now I actually have the confidence to post regularly. I love lifting and resistance training. Within the past 2-3 weeks I have been playing around with lifting and I've seen some great improvement in strength and I can definitely feel that some muscle has been built. This is a great forum/thread, you guys are soooo resourceful! OKay now off of the mushy stuff.
Yesterday was legs day and I did 2 sets of leg extensions for 8-10 reps with 30 lbs. 3 sets of leg curls on each leg with 30 lbs of weight. Nautilus machine 3 set of inner thigh workout with about 30 lbs and something that you put your foot on and push back(sorry I didn't read the name of it.). Today I feel pretty good but I know that by tomorrow I WILL be sore in all of those places LOL.

Today is ABS day. Quick Question? Most articles and from past experience talk about maybe being sore the next day after a workout but my soreness doesn't set in until 2 days after a workout......is this normal? Or am I not getting enough water or oxygen to my muscles? I drink half of my body weight in ounces daily so hopefully this is enough. I exhale on lift and inhale on release... This is correct isn't it?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:09 AM   #24  
aka Superwoman!

Looks good to me! I sometimes don't get sore for a good 36-48 hours after exercise although it's usually just 24! I wouldn't worry about it, after all, everybody's different and it sounds like you're doing everything spot on! Keep up the good work
Old 09-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

2F, your instructor sounds totally clueless. Good for you on not walking out and staying to do the workout. I am also going to assume that double kickboxing went GREAT!!!

Mrs.D, I never get sore the next day. Its always 2nd day that the soreness creeps in.

I've come to the sad realization that cheerleading and lifting weights don't work together. I can't get in bed before 11:30 so getting back up at 4:15 to get to the gym is an impossibility. I've modified my routine and instead am getting up at 5:10 for Tae-Bo each morning instead. It isn't weight lifting but I am at least still getting in some form of exercise and also getting in enough sleep to be normal.

This AM, I didn't feel like Tae-Bo, so I did an hour long Pilates DVD instead. The instructor kept talking about the "core". About 1/3 of the way through I had to admit my "core" is ROTTEN! I kept rolling over on my butt, couldn't hold the poses, it was humiliating. This chickie has a LOT of work to do.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #26  

I am thankful every day That the gals here don't much care how much you lift, just that you do it! It's sooo good for you.
I'm also grateful that you don't actually have to be maintaining (yet) to go to the maintainers forum

BTW ... MrsD... I use free weights a lot, so my arms get a workin' even on legs day. I did almost all my arms and shoulders today with 5 lb'ers. I don't think I'll get kicked off the board for that.
I'm not a real weight lifter, I just play one on-line.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:52 AM   #27  
aka Superwoman!

Tiki - double kickboxing went great thank you! My back kicks are coming on. Still a bit wobbly but I will practice lots before next saturday (not tomorrow - just one week left! ) Also tiki, couldn't you get some dumbbells and do some weights in the morning instead of your videos? I do all my weight training at home, cos it would take such a long time to faff around at the gym! Plus it's free (apart from the weights) I can lift in my underwear if it's getting too hot and I can chat to him indoors too! All round good points!

Susan you are a hardcore weightlifter

We're off to Oxford for drinkies after work. Should be really nice - I'm looking forward to cracking out the nice dress in my wardrobe! Also bought some knee high boots that actually go over my calves!
Old 09-23-2005, 07:59 AM   #28  
Mel

Hi everyone
Just coming up for a brief bit of air before I head to the gym. I've been glued to hurricane infor when I'm not at the gym, on the computer, or hassling over homework with my son. I have a few friends and a brother and SIL with an eight yr old who live in Houston, plus my poor friend from New Orleans who had temporarily relocated to HOUSTON after Katrina!

Tiki- I'm glad to see you posting again, whether you are doing weights or not. Hope life's craziness isn't getting you down Hang in there!

MrsDawson- I usually get sore 18-36 hours later with the peak soreness at 2 days. Sometimes 3 days if it was a really brutal leg day. Everyone is different. And yes, you are most certainly welcome here!

2F- The idea of you prancing around with dumbbells in your underwear cracks me up! Have fun in Oxford in your nice dress

SusanB- Now you crack me up! Do you workout in your "gotchers" too?

Hi Rabbit, Laura, SB. Where are our MIA's? Dip, that was a pretty short appearance! Same for you Susanje! Ellen, are you still on the disabled list?

I'm having a pretty good week, despite the scale being up a tad and refusing to budge down. Oh well, I'm doing everything right, so it will go sooner or later. My client load has actally been light this week. Don't know what's up with that, but I don't think it's going to last.

OK, off to the gym. Cardio and bis and tris for me today Then garden mulching cardio this afternoon if the weather holds.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:23 AM   #29  

Mel .... you don't know how tempting it is to say ... Good heavens no, I work out in the nude. Doesn't everyone? .... No, I have a dreadful assortment of awful looking baggy things that I work out in and the dreaded leggings from WalMart so my thighs don't stick to things.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:57 AM   #30  
aka Superwoman!

Tried that once but the old gals didn't like it!